Is war thunder pay to win?

I would argue its pay to progress and pay skip frustration. 

Basically if you don't plan to progress beyond WW2 vehicles you don't necessarily need to pay for anything. If you would like to ease it a bit, a moderate investment into premium account ( for me its like 40 EUR per year as I always buy my annual premium subscription when its 50% off). On top of that you can invest in crew skills like 500 GE per crew and vehicle type would give you enough to bring all important skills to level 4. Which is also not a big investment like 10 EUR per nation and military branch max.

Furthermore one could consider to get one premium vehicle. It doesn't have to be an expensive vehicle. Important is the SL multiplier. Can be something like Premium German P4. It is by no way superior to its non-premium counterpart but does give you higher SL rewards and is cheap to buy. I had many matches with it where I had 10 kills and made more than 100k SL. 

medal medal medal

• 1 month later...

P2W? Maybe an overstatement.

Unfair to people without premium vehicles? Definately.

How many non-premium BR 8.0 to 9.0 planes have Sidewinders?

How many non-premium BR 8.0 to 9.0 tanks have thermals?

And their premium counterparts???

medal medal medal

58 minutes ago, JimBexSpeed said:

P2W? Maybe an overstatement.

Unfair to people without premium vehicles? Definately.

And their premium counterparts???

I woudn't say so and if you want to compare that fine I will give you answers I am looking on RB b.r  (because you mainly play this game mode also, I will count not only the AIM-9B but also the R-3S PL-2 and RB-24)

non-premium jets list: A-4B ,FJ-4B ,F9F-8, Scimitar F Mk.1, Etendard IVM, Super Mystere B2 SAAB-105G   7 PLANES

premium jets list: Sea Hawk Mk.100,german G91 R/4 ,italian G9 R/4 ,Mig-17AS, Shenyang F-5, SAAB-105OE 6PLANES

non-premium thermals list: M3 bradley, M60A1 RISE(P), M60A3 TTS, M1128, Begleitpanzer 57, Leopard 1A5, BMP-3,Shturm-S,Striker, Type89, Type16, CM11, M60A 3TTS ,Centauro, Centauro ROMOR, italian LEOPARD 1A5, AMX-10RC, AMX-30B2, AMX-30B2 Brenus 19 TANKS

premium thermals list: Leopard 1A11 (L44), Rooikat 105, Type 74G, AMX-30 Super, CV90105 TML 5 TANKS

Even if you change B.R from 8.0 to 9.7 diffrence will be much biger on favor of non-premium vehicles, also I would not say that having sidewinders or thermals means anythink and there are more important factors that that you mentioned, 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 19/12/2020 at 16:35, JimBexSpeed said:

Why does everyone think that the sole goal of the game is to unlock top tier. If this game, like its biggest competitor, ended at the end of WW2, that being the top tier, then everyone would have fun playing WW2 vehicles. But just because cold war era vehicles merely exist, and they are bad to play, people still complain about them, instead of finding a game mode and BR where they can have the most fun.

• Upvote 1

On 21/12/2020 at 11:55, Terror0fDeath said:

I'm fairly new but as something I learned from an certain Bote game I played nope Premiums can't make chu an better player as I say "Any vehicle is capable of being good in right hands" What makes chu an good player is experience some learn it fast others take years and of course luck!  ^_^

well said 

• Upvote 1

On 21/12/2020 at 17:55, Terror0fDeath said:

I'm fairly new but as something I learned from an certain Bote game I played nope Premiums can't make chu an better player as I say "Any vehicle is capable of being good in right hands" What makes chu an good player is experience some learn it fast others take years and of course luck!  ^_^

Or you could just buy the Harrier GR.1 lmao

SRAAM text

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal

The only thing i see as Pay2Win in this game. Is the ability to buy decorations that can literally hide your tank in plan site and hide weak spots on it too.

If these things where available for normal silver lions then it would be Ok.

8 hours ago, _Ephreal said:

The only thing i see as Pay2Win in this game. Is the ability to buy decorations that can literally hide your tank in plan site and hide weak spots on it too.

If these things where available for normal silver lions then it would be Ok.

You can in fact obtain them without purchasing them with GE.

Just the 3rd Tier of rewards from the Warband shop and buy the chest with the foliage elements.
Thats how i obtained 4 bushes.

The Pay2Win part is the - Harrier, Saab 105, F-89s, IS-6, Yak-38, G.91.
Before, there were as well the XM-1 and the Leopard A1/L44.
But those got finally nerfed a bit or got contemporary vehicles.

medal medal

P2W?  Not literally i don't think so but it definitely helps. I don't know about the higher BRs and thermals and all those things but in the BR 3.7-4.7 that I'm playing in now there are some vehicles that definitely have an advantage, especially if you're unfortunate enough to be in a battle we're you are uptiered.  Some examples:  that DAK in the lower BRs, the brumbar, those German captured  tanks ( T34, KV1, churchill), etc.

Pay2Win is a too basic term for war thunder, and there are too many sub sections about this, the win and fun factors are higher on specific premium vehicles i would probably call war thunder Pay2Toptier because you can literally buy your way up,lets check out the helicopters for example some premium helicopters come with very good air air missiles from the beginning while other helicopters dont have any at all and yet you have to fight those they are quickly roasted and those helicopters are indeed pay2win, it is technically possible (highly expensive) to get all the things you want before you have your first battle first off we have top tier premiums and then theres boost research so even without playing a single battlee you can buy yourself towards everything you like and also buy the modifications for the vehicle of your choice, which means never ever stock grind, while you face others which have to progress the normal way. I keep seeing players with lvl 1 or lvl 3 with harriers or ka-50's or lets say overall top tier premiums, and this is not a good thing at all.

Edited by GonZoWijnkaarsen
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

On 04/02/2020 at 22:41, ertop911 said:

I have been playing the game for well over a year and I have bought only a very small amount of premium things, and that is simply because I dont have the money, like i can’t just take 100$ and be good. Can you play war thunder without paying? Honest answers please!

You can play it whitout any payment yes but the game makes it so much harder whitout premium.
You really need to work that much harder in order to get the same amount of silver so yah warthunder in the sence of paying to get faster up in the tech tree is yes Pay 2 win whitout any question.

HOWEVER!
Premium tanks on the other side is not the better side of the original tanks in the tech tree.
Some premium tanks are straight out worse then there Tree counterpart.

Pro tip: don't buy premium until your get a discount... it makes abit better to buy it :-P

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The game is unquestionably pay-to-win.  In addition to the typical premium vehicles that you can buy (Leopard A1A1 is a prime example), Gaijin's formula for keeping their wallets full is the big events they have every year.  They create stupidly-OP vehicles that can only be earned by grinding for a hundred hours.  They make money on people buying and selling the components on the marketplace (pay-to-go-faster) to get the coupon for the vehicle ... then they sell it.  This lets little Johnny to get out daddy's wallet and get a massively OP vehicle that somebody else earned.

One look no further than the marketplace for a pile of evidence that this game is pure pay-to-win.  And it's not just top-tier, there are plenty of under-tiered, premium vehicles at all BRs that can only be purchased on the marketplace.

Edited by Caelib
medal medal medal medal medal

On 30/01/2021 at 21:51, Caelib said:

there are plenty of under-tiered, premium vehicles at all BRs

Err...i beg to differ. The ratio of overtiered/undertiered of premium vehicles is roughly the same as normal vehicles.

Some are better, other are worse...some are OP, some are garbage. MOST are the same as NORMAL TREE.

There are a FEW premium vehicles that are a bit too strong...BUT there are also a lot of weak ones and most of them are equivalent to normal tree vehicles. The most complained OP vehicles are NORMAL TREE (Jumbo, Panther, King Tiger and some higher tier i dont have).

The only "real" widespread complain about a premium vehicle i remember is the Ka50...and in this case you may have a point (nor personally sure)...but it is not a common issue.

For instance...i have an issue with VFW...i think it is OP in the PRESENT state of hullbreak. BUT i rarely see it, i have the same issue with normal tree vehicles (88 flakwagon, Flakpanzer, etc...)...so cant really blame it on PTW. In fact...i see more cases of players complaining the premium vehicle is not worth than the contrary...and i never paid for a vehicle.

Anyway you put it...P2W IF IT EXISTs is mild at best.

• Upvote 1

Seriously folks, does the sun come up in the morning?  This after all is a business requiring extreme amounts of referencing and computer knowledge.  Congratulations to Gaijin, I only wish I thought of it!

17 hours ago, The4thAmigo said:

I mean, can you really win against a J21 that gets behind your P-36 or P-40?

There are A LOT of planes in the regular tree that you can replace J21 by on the phrase above...anything with adequate performance will do...Zero, Spitfire, 109s...the list is rather long as P36 and P40 are not particularly good at shaking enemies from their six o'clock...

My point...there are GOOD vehicles in the premium list...it would be very dumb if they were all lemons, no?

BUT I dont really recall something that can give you an advantage so big you can call it P2W. (Few ones i recall are "a good advantage"...Cobra King, but you also have the regular Jumbo, KV220...and Ka50, but this i never even saw...just hearsay). Not a huge list...even if you add a few more...

• Upvote 1

On 05/02/2020 at 01:42, raxu_ said:

Yes, top tier is completely pay to win. Gaijin gives u the possibility to buy a helicopter that can't be killed by any of the ground vehicles.

Sorry what helicopter would that be? I would like to get one. As far as I can see, I've dropped every single type of heli on top tier without exception.

9 hours ago, [email protected] said:

My point...there are GOOD vehicles in the premium list...it would be very dumb if they were all lemons, no?

The problem is that many of them are better.  Premium vehicles were originally a means of allowing players to "go faster", but Gaijin sold out and based their whole business model around creating excessively powerful vehicles and creating the "Marketplace" where their profits revolves around players event-earned vehicle coupons.  Many vehicles going for $100 - $1000 ... because they are "good"? No, because they offer a competitive advantage.

Edited by Caelib

16 minutes ago, Caelib said:

The problem is that many of them are better.  Premium vehicles were originally a means of allowing players to "go faster", but Gaijin sold out and based their whole business model around creating excessively powerful vehicles and creating the "Marketplace" where their profits revolves around players event-earned vehicle coupons.  Many vehicles going for $100 - $1000 ... because they are "good"? No, because they offer a competitive advantage.

Well i can't agree. If we look at marketplace for example at planes (i'm mostly pilot not a tanker) and we look at those that cost more than 100 gjn there are bassicly no plane that gives you "competitive advantage". All that planes are so expensive beacause they are rare. Majority of them won't give you any advantage except premium status. The only planes that i can consider better than tech tree are J6K1 (one of the best 6.0 planes and for shure one of the best japan plane and it was pretty easy to get), TIS MA (really good attacker and heavy fighter but still USSR have a lot of competetive planes again super easy to get) and Spitfire mk. IXc (my beloved IX but with all cannons and a little bit higher br). Of course it's only my opinion.

Of course they are some broken premium vehicles (i'm looking at you Ju288C, Ka50 and F89D) but they are only a tool. If somebody don't know how to use some thing then he/she will got down no matter how much money they pay to Snail. Premium time, buying upgrades, RP talismans with GE still are only things that helps you to archeive something faster and not easyer. But once again that is only my opinion.
Cheers lads o7

• Upvote 2
medal medal

Let's be honest, the vast majority of War Thunder's core players are tankers.  Look at "popular" sales on the Marketplace:

image.thumb.png.7e17b9af4bef94c4c31823b2

Every single one of those tanks are the very definition of pay-to-win (competitive advantage via busting out your wallet), which is why they are all "popular".  The KV-220 and KV-1B are the longest-running P2W in the list, but Gaijin will *never* balance them because they make too much money on the Marketplace from the sales.

And if you look at what vehicles veteran players are using to club, it's almost exclusively premium vehicles ... not because they need money or RP, but because they are OP.

Edited by Caelib

Not entirely pay to win, you can enjoy it. Maybe.

I personally grinded my way up in the USA heli tree to AH-1F with mostly the AH-1G in enduring confrontations. In addition exclusively cockpit view, realistic and later full real ctrl (when I realised there is a dampening handling feature) with hotas (hands on throttle and stick) and rudder pedals and in addition a home made headtracker. You can enjoy it but also know that mouse-aim sometimes has advantages for example in a headon situation but you also learn how to handle a heli better than mouse aim offers and develop cunning strategies to fool KA-50 players. So it's not entirely pay to win if you make it more enjoyable for yourself.

medal