Is war thunder pay to win?

The comment about buying up your crew skills is valid. That you can put down enough money to level a crew up to 100 in a few minutes or you can spend months or more to get them their is a little imbalanced toward the $$$'s

As for the premium vehicles,  they're generally good till you're up tiered and then it doesn't matter much.  As mentioned earlier, a good tank doesn't make you a good player.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

while the game used to not be pay to win, there are no doubt premium vehicles which give you an advantage at the moment

its not that bad, but they could use some more balancing for sure

medal medal medal

5 hours ago, Corinthians88612 said:

But is the common usage

Real life exxample: Fifa is know as a pay to win game as you can spend a lot of money to have Cristinao Ronaldo and Messi in your team, anyone can get it for free, but if you use real money, PAY for how many packs it is necessary to get they, you are paying to win, as having the best two player in the game give you a huge advnadage in relation to others player. Your skill still matter, but you are two steps ahead of regular players.

(...)

The BR system is what eliminates the effect you mention above. If used in FIFA, players would have BR and CR7 or Messi would be BR11 and you would only meet them IF you had your own BR11 team. With a lower level team you would never play against them...

So...War Thunder IS NOT pay to win...as PAID CONTENT at your BR is NOT better that what you can get FOR FREE.

We can argue that players can pay to climb the BR tree...but this is PAY TO PROGRESS.

Once you are in a match, you have NO ADVANTAGE in having spent money. Perhaps a LITTLE in crews or such...but a Premium BR3.7 vehicle is usually as good as a FREE BR3.7 vehicle...

In fact...i would argue that MANY PAYING CUSTOMERS actually believe they should have an advantage...and don't have it...i recall having such a discussion...

1 hour ago, i_ivanof said:

while the game used to not be pay to win, there are no doubt premium vehicles which give you an advantage at the moment

its not that bad, but they could use some more balancing for sure

There is a doubt...very few premium vehicles give a COMBAT advantage. And i don't have many...

You can find a few, of course...but i am pretty sure i can find FREE vehicles also...

11 minutes ago, *GhostSoph said:

In fact...i would argue that MANY PAYING CUSTOMERS actually believe they should have an advantage...and don't have it...i recall having such a discussion...

bohoho they can't buy their way to victory, the whiny crybabies. This is absolutely not an argument and anyone that brings it up should be shamed

12 minutes ago, *GhostSoph said:

There is a doubt...very few premium vehicles give a COMBAT advantage. And i don't have many...

You can find a few, of course...but i am pretty sure i can find FREE vehicles also...

Few is not none. Even one is too much because as soon as word gets out, everyone buys it and it becomes spammed to death. This has happened for as long as the game has existed, even going far back to 1.27 and the La-5FN spam. 

Especially when they are first released, high tier premiums always tend to be better than their br equivalents. You can argue it is to compensate for the fact that people skipping the grind suck and need a crutch, but you also have experienced players buying them specifically to get an advantage and then its completely unfair. Pretty much all the premiums around 9.0 are better than their free counterparts, it makes that br range incredibly frustrating to play

Don't even get me started on the F-89D which is so hilariously overpowered it makes air RB 6.3-8.3 completely unplayable for teams facing the Americans and it has been like this for 6 months now. It's outrageous

medal medal medal

4 hours ago, *GhostSoph said:

The BR system is what eliminates the effect you mention above. If used in FIFA, players would have BR and CR7 or Messi would be BR11 and you would only meet them IF you had your own BR11 team. With a lower level team you would never play against them...

So...War Thunder IS NOT pay to win...as PAID CONTENT at your BR is NOT better that what you can get FOR FREE.

We can argue that players can pay to climb the BR tree...but this is PAY TO PROGRESS.

Once you are in a match, you have NO ADVANTAGE in having spent money. Perhaps a LITTLE in crews or such...but a Premium BR3.7 vehicle is usually as good as a FREE BR3.7 vehicle...

Fifa has a system similar to a BR, but, it can be easely overturned by the players.

Br system on War Thunder is not that great at all, with some vehicule with lower BR than they should be and most of premium have a BR lower than it should be, that is why people want to buy them, so they can have a COMBAT advantage.

"

You can find a few, of course...but i am pretty sure i can find FREE vehicles also..."  Ok you just agrred that the game is Pay to Win, I am confused now, do you have any idea what you are alking about?

8 hours ago, Catskinner said:

You have just exactly proved my point :) Common usage of P2W refers to a paywall, end of chat. Common usage of LOL is 'laugh out loud' so I imagine some funeral goers were a little surprised by my mum's message; they assumed the common usage rather than 'lots of love'. Awkward :)

If you want it to mean something else just for you, cool, fill your boots. If it helps you believe that the dirty wallet warriors couldn't beat you if it wasn't for their dastardly disposable income, also cool. It's like you have decided to call 'red' a different name, say 'blue'. You will call it blue and you can be happy. Everyone else will be thinking "WTF it's red dude".

This is basically a pointless rant thread because you obviously weren't really asking a question, you were just looking for people to agree with you. Pretty much everyone has said WT is not P2W and given plenty of examples. You have chosen to maintain your own little reality. Enjoy! :)

You want P2W to mean something else, so you be beloved game is not know as P2W.

If you can not understand what P2W menas, yes the conversation is over. 

I anwer the question, and you quoted me saying I am wrong.

I don't care if you agree with me or not, I don't know you, I don't care about you, so your opinion means nothing for me, I AM HERE ONLY to DEFEND MY IDEA HERE, AS YOU QUOTE.. There are many other user here that have the same opinion as you,  and it is fine because everyone has it own opinion. 

And as far as I know this forum is to discuss diferent topics, if there is no discuss and everyone agrees with everyone, there is no point to have this forum.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Corinthians88612 said:

You want P2W to mean something else, so you be beloved game is not know as P2W.

If you can not understand what P2W menas, yes the conversation is over. 

I anwer the question, and you quoted me saying I am wrong.

I don't care if you agree with me or not, I don't know you, I don't care about you, so your opinion means nothing for me, I AM HERE ONLY to DEFEND MY IDEA HERE, AS YOU QUOTE.. There are many other user here that have the same opinion as you,  and it is fine because everyone has it own opinion. 

And as far as I know this forum is to discuss diferent topics, if there is no discuss and everyone agrees with everyone, there is no point to have this forum.

So your basic debating position is to reverse someone's argument? It is you who is failing to understand P2W... there is nothing available to a wallet warrior that cannot be got by a free-to-play player, no matter how unlikely that may be.

• Confused 1
medal medal medal medal

I'm so good Gaijin pays ME to play....Nevermind my rank is the game is 40174. That's just to throw people off. 

• Haha 1
medal

4 hours ago, Corinthians88612 said:

Fifa has a system similar to a BR, but, it can be easely overturned by the players.

Br system on War Thunder is not that great at all, with some vehicule with lower BR than they should be and most of premium have a BR lower than it should be, that is why people want to buy them, so they can have a COMBAT advantage.

"

You can find a few, of course...but i am pretty sure i can find FREE vehicles also..."  Ok you just agrred that the game is Pay to Win, I am confused now, do you have any idea what you are alking about?

Yes. I am saying BR is not perfect and there are vehicles with lower BRs than they should...which you also said on post above. So not sure why you got aggressive :dntknw:

The difference is I see VERY FEW premium with such advantage. You seem to think it is "most"...feel free to id them...curious to know.

I once tried to find a premium worth buying...best I could find was Cobra King...which is identical to a free vehicle. I spent the money elsewhere as I saw no reason to spend it in War Thunder...exactly because it would provide no visible advantage.

If you need proof...go play a few games...check the tanks of the better players...or the tanks that kill you. I am so rarely killed by premiums I don't even know their weakspots. So rare I keep forgetting. I can assure you I know the weakspots of Jumbo, Tiger II, IS1, KV1, etc...all free vehicles. Most premiums are so irrelevant, players simply don't buy them!

( I once was killed by a kv220 I hit first...made a post asking how to kill it...when I finally saw another kv220 I no longer remembered the answer)

• Like 1

On 04/04/2020 at 02:10, *GhostSoph said:

If you need proof...go play a few games...check the tanks of the better players...or the tanks that kill you. I am so rarely killed by premiums I don't even know their weakspots. So rare I keep forgetting. I can assure you I know the weakspots of Jumbo, Tiger II, IS1, KV1, etc...all free vehicles. Most premiums are so irrelevant, players simply don't buy them!

I would agree here that most (but not all) premiums offer little advantage over what the free tree has to offer. Even their income sometimes is not much better than a similar free vehicle. Which leads to the consequence that I often prefer to field free vehicles with a talisman over premiums.

On 03/04/2020 at 16:16, __RACERX__ said:

...you can put down enough money to level a crew up to 100 in a few minutes or you can spend months or more to get them their is a little imbalanced toward the $$$'s

As mentioned earlier, a good tank doesn't make you a good player.

Believe me, a good crew doesn't make you a good player either. When I started tanks, I had near maxed crews yet lost consistently.

As to the first line of your quote: It was quite easy to improve crews for free in the past. I remember having improved crews by 20 or more levels in one afternoon. Due to player requests, this option was closed. Sigh.

Edited by Dodo_Dud
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, Dodo_Dud said:

I would agree here that most (but not all) premiums offer little advantage over what the free tree has to offer. Even their income sometimes is not much better than a similar free vehicle. Which leads to the consequence that I often prefer to field free vehicles with a talisman over premiums.

Believe me, a good crew doesn't make you a good player either. When I started tanks, I had near maxed crews yet lost consistently.

The BASIC reason i say WAR THUNDER is NOT pay to win is simply because:

PAYING WONT MAKE YOU WIN (not even close)

;)

Some premiums may provide an advantage...but also many free tanks so the same...it has nothing to do with being premium. There are BR mistakes on both types of vehicle.

Of course...if you look hard enough you will find some advantages for paying customers...and strictly speaking it is possible the "pay to win" classification to apply...

But whenever you go into battle it is not cash that counts...a minor advantage in skill is much more important than a major investment in money...

You can spend 1000dollars in the game...and you will lose BAD unless you take a long time to learn the game.

• Upvote 1

This game is brutal when it comes to green horns coming out of the newbie zone,  it might be fun for a bit at first but at this point after seen the amount of grind and patience it would take to level up

and become competitive against severe odds when starting higher BR battles when you are mostly outgunned and outclassed is ridiculous.

I would much rather spend real money on things that matter, playing a video game has evolved way beyond the good old days and is now mostly a soul crushing grind after the initial sugar high.

This one is going straight to the uninstall bin and I will dig up my old copy of Age Of Empires 2 or 3 and some other older games and do an occasional game session.    Good luck with 200 to 300 hours of grind to get to the next level... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SwiftHammer said:

Good luck with 200 to 300 hours of grind to get to the next level...

How would you know, you only played 10 hours?

• Haha 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, *GhostSoph said:

The BASIC reason i say WAR THUNDER is NOT pay to win is simply because:

PAYING WONT MAKE YOU WIN (not even close)

;)

But whenever you go into battle it is not cash that counts...a minor advantage in skill is much more important than a major investment in money...

You can spend 1000dollars in the game...and you will lose BAD unless you take a long time to learn the game.

In my view, winning is also progressing in the game ...and money makes the grind easier.

Edited by Auto_tracking
  • Upvote 1
medal

4 hours ago, Auto_tracking said:

In my view, winning is also progressing in the game ...and money makes the grind easier.

If your objective is to classify this game as pay to win, then you will find a way...

ALL free games have to provide something to make some pay so others play for free...

In the end, when I play a battle (which is the reason I play) I don't feel I was bested by a richer player... But by a better one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Good Lord the Hammer dude up there done went clean off! o_o  I agree with a lot of what he said, but all of us choose to be here. Whether the game is play to win or not is beside the point really. We play because we like to, and as for me and probably most here, I like a challenge and I don't give up easily. I don't want a game where a victory is handed to me every game. I want a game that excites me and pisses me off at the same time. That's when I start playing. 

I never will understand why people download a game...play it and then go to the forums and raise hell about how crappy the game play is. But yet we keep coming backl :016: I'm guilty of that myself. But then it dawns on me that no one is forcing me to play OR pay. Everyone thinks we all should play how they say. Or that Gaijin needs to do this or that. Well I say, if you don't like the game either quit, or shut up and make your own game. Call us when it's done. 

So if you don't like the game, that's cool. No problem. Some of these online games ain't for everyone. I wouldn't play MInecraft if they paid me. But thousands of people love it. To each their own. 

As far as is the game pay to win? No it is not. Premium tanks get blown up by free tanks everyday in this game. Just because Bob's dumb **** bought a tank doesn't make him a winner no matter what Bob tells you. It just means Bob bought something the game has for sale. Carry on and Semper Fi knuckleheads :salute:

medal

7 hours ago, BOldMan said:

Seriously? It is not p2w game. Is more like not pay enough to win... after 8 years of wt, i can see the difference between pay to win and free to play. what most of those premium players cant see it.

What are some examples, if ya don't mind me askin'.

medal

Hi,

The op is just starting. 

In tiers 1 to 3/4 you absolutely can be competitive with free to play. Talking about top level jets is silly.

medal

From my opinion and experience, I think what make you win is not your vehicle or skill, it's your teammates. When you have a op vehicle and your teammates all removed by enemy rapidly, how could you win, lol.

• Upvote 1

On 05/04/2020 at 21:21, xBILLYJACKx said:

Good Lord the Hammer dude up there done went clean off! o_o  I agree with a lot of what he said, but all of us choose to be here. Whether the game is play to win or not is beside the point really. We play because we like to, and as for me and probably most here, I like a challenge and I don't give up easily. I don't want a game where a victory is handed to me every game. I want a game that excites me and pisses me off at the same time. That's when I start playing. 

I never will understand why people download a game...play it and then go to the forums and raise hell about how crappy the game play is. But yet we keep coming backl :016: I'm guilty of that myself. But then it dawns on me that no one is forcing me to play OR pay. Everyone thinks we all should play how they say. Or that Gaijin needs to do this or that. Well I say, if you don't like the game either quit, or shut up and make your own game. Call us when it's done. 

So if you don't like the game, that's cool. No problem. Some of these online games ain't for everyone. I wouldn't play MInecraft if they paid me. But thousands of people love it. To each their own. 

As far as is the game pay to win? No it is not. Premium tanks get blown up by free tanks everyday in this game. Just because Bob's dumb **** bought a tank doesn't make him a winner no matter what Bob tells you. It just means Bob bought something the game has for sale. Carry on and Semper Fi knuckleheads :salute:

This...  what Billy says rang so true to me.  You have a choice.  Play or don't.  So quit with the QQ and get on with the pew-pew!

Is it me, or has anybody else noted:  with a couple of exceptions, those complaining are, for the majority, players who don't have as much time/progression in the game as those who say nay?

Just something I have observed.

And Billy, I hope you make enough to buy those bacon cheeseburgers.  Semper Fi M.F..  :salute:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The crews are the only real pay2win element. They can give significant advantage, and their progression without premium or direct GE purchases is, honestly, too damn slow.

I'll give you an example. I've never spent GE on crews or premium, I've never even purchased it. I've been playing this game on and off since CBT, mostly AB air. I've logged over 40 days of play time in AB air, about 1/3 of it in US aircraft. I'm not a bad player, definitely above average, playing all kinds of aircraft. I've spent crew XP almost exclusively on plane skills, and only recently before my last big break they started reaching max skills, and that is only for non-bomber crews that don't put any points into gunners.

And that's air forces. In my brief forays into ground forces, I've gotten an impression that you need far more crew XP and it's more important.

medal medal medal

About crew, whenever i start new nation I invest 100GE per crew to get them off the ground and add some basic skills in, because very early is when you feel the lack of crew skills mostly.
I get 3 in leadership, reloading rangefinding, and 4 in driving, aiming i put 1 point to every vitality and field mechanics. 
After month or two yo hit level 60-80 then you're set ... Ofc some people may invest many SL and GE in crew acing but that only works if you have favorite lineup you play whole the time
I play new things /new countries constantly so for me has no use. 

medal medal medal medal