Is war thunder pay to win?

I have been playing the game for well over a year and I have bought only a very small amount of premium things, and that is simply because I dont have the money, like i can’t just take 100$ and be good. Can you play war thunder without paying? Honest answers please!

Pejorative whining about the Ka-50 aside - anything you can buy doesn't make you a better player, nor does it make you aim better or make your ammunition any more dangerous that the ammo that someone else has ground of F2P, nor give you better appreciation of the maps or make your vehicles any faster or your armour any thicker......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 6
  • Upvote 9
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 minutes ago, Josephs_Piano said:

Pejorative whining about the Ka-50 aside - anything you can buy doesn't make you a better player, nor does it make you aim better or make your ammunition any more dangerous that the ammo that someone else has ground of F2P, nor give you better appreciation of the maps or make your vehicles any faster or your armour any thicker......

So you say Im wrong? Also nice talking like that with your credentials, lmao. Well well.

Edited by raxu_
  • Confused 2
medal medal medal medal

Generally outside of some "balanced" vehicles, paying mostly saves sanity (as especially on top tiers stock grind can take a while), be it plane without load out and engine upgrades or tank/ship without parts, FPE and ammunition.. I won't even say anything about helicopter grind........ (Thx to some "balanced" premium in EC)

Also for someone Skill is not aspect of P2W unless you have bought some third party software....

Here you get possibly of creating better (or larger in case of Air AB) lineups with in end give you advantage..

• Upvote 4
medal medal

54 minutes ago, raxu_ said:

So you say Im wrong?

That nothing can kill Ka-50?  sure - anything can kill a Ka-50.

54 minutes ago, raxu_ said:

Also nice talking like that with your credentials, lmao. Well well.

ah - some sort of ad hominim attack here?  Not sure what my "credentials" are or how they matter, but perhaps you could try discussing the issue instead?

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

As trite as the complaints about aircraft are in general: the Ka-50 is the most broken vehicle they have released yet.

That said, there are plenty of BR steps and Ranks that don't face it and you don't need to spend money in the game to be competitive.

Edited by *RAazzy91
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On the whole, I would say no. There's a lot of knowledge, tactics, and skill that no amount of money will buy that only comes by playing the game, not to mention the fact that it is a team-based game, with matches having upwards of 16 players per team. A lot of the time, even a 4-man squad can't carry a team unless they really know what they are doing. There are definitely premiums that are absurdly strong or overpowered (such as the Ka-50), but by no means can you ensure your victory by having a vehicle like that. So fortunately, no, this game is not pay to win, but it is pay to progress. I have never liked the idea of Gaijin offering top tier (or rather close to top tier since they insist they don't sell top tier) premiums, that allow players to jump straight into the high-BR gameplay with zero experience. There is A LOT of things to learn with this game, and being able to skip the lower tiers is not only a detriment to the player buying the premium, but to the rest of their team. They will lack a lot of experience and knowledge they would have otherwise gained by grinding up to those BRs the long way, plus they won't have a full lineup if playing tank RB, and will likely be out of the match early because of it.

1 hour ago, raxu_ said:

So you say Im wrong?

Yes, you are absolutely wrong. The Ka-50 can be shot down by any ground-based vehicle. The ADATS missiles match the range of the Ka-50s, and any of the other radar-AA are more than capable of shooting it down with their cannons as well. Is the range of the Ka-50 missiles far too long, absolutely, but to say that nothing can shoot it down is absolutely false.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

A lot of the premium vehicles are actually pretty bad, IMO. There are a few overpowered ones, but there are also plenty of overpowered non-premium vehicles too.

High tier and very low tier are problematic whether you are spending lots of money or not. Middle tiers (3.0-7.0) are where the game is both fun and semi-balanced.

Edited by Solipsisto
  • Upvote 3
medal

Spoiler

as much as I'd like to say the game is pay to win, its more along the lines of "Pay to Progress". Yes Gaijin has lessened the grind over the course of 2019, but we still end up back at square one when repair costs start going up and rewards start getting lower. It basically forces players who aren't at the top of their game to play something else, which again is fully understandable as you need a balanced playerbase in order to experience all facets of the game however, I didn't come to play 2.0 just to get a few hundred SL in order to afford 5 games at 5.7 or playing high tier with the tanks I enjoy playing. I can play what I want to play, but it comes at the cost of losing all of my SL (if I don't wait 10-25 days for a free or reduced repair). Which pretty much forces me to play something else to build up my wallet to do it all over again. Sure you could buy premium vehicles, but I've had MANY MANY times where I'd LOSE SILVER LIONS playing premium vehicles. Two examples being the AMX-30 Super (because I don't rely on APFSDS), and more recently the Cobra King (because I keep dying to CAS or puma spawnrush spam before I can engage and do damage with my 75mm peashooter). I could either adapt, or just go play something else and not get irritated. Which for now I've given up playing those tanks because of a few balancing issues due to BR compression. You could also buy premium time, but again it doesn't guarantee your progression, let alone free wins.. I have 290 some days left on my premium status and I have MANY MANY games where I get 2 or 3 kills, maybe an assist or two, die, leave, then our team loses, and I'll get anywhere between 2,700 SL - 6,500 SL as a total reward (not counting after battle costs), but in a battle where my team would win, I'd get triple or even quadruple that. OR I could just sit and do nothing the entire game, maybe point out a few enemies via gunfire, then our team would win, and I'd get like 30k SL. The earnings and battle time are horribly inconsistent as they stand right now.

TL;DR:

The game can't really be considered "Pay To Win" (Just because the Ka-50 is pay to win, doesn't mean the entire game is)

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Pay 2 win is a very real part of War Thunder, but its not what you imagine.

It is reserved for those who have absolutely no skill and absolutely no ability and don't have a snow balls hope in hell of ever being competitive in the game in any tier or any mode.

It is meant for those who are willing to pay real money and are content to have a cup of coffee while mindlessly flinging the mouse about, competing against players who are playing with a much harder rule set, while you are on easy street, ending in a climax of mashing the space bar and bailing out . . . .these actions equate in their head as a Win well deserved because they paid for it. And the best part is you can chat spam the living sh*t out of the game while other players have both hands on stick and throttle and view. 

How to join this elite is simple, by the biggest Bomber with max payload and max reward and join SIM EC.

1. No effort required.

2. No skill required

3. Easier rule set as compared to players, 3rd person views and 360 synchronized mouse gunners vs cockpit view and full controls

4. Ridiculous huge rewards, can unlock unlock entire tech trees and you can sh*t talk as much as you like, 

5. No attrition or loss to your side when you die, so you can die a 100 times and it makes no difference.

6. you can single handedly end the game and for extra fun grab a couple of buddies and win the game for extra 120%  rewards

7. You don't even need to learn to take off as you get air starts and you don't need to land, you can bail out after dropping your bomb and still make a profit.

8. You can make enough SL and RP to enjoy all the vehicles in a couple of days.

9. The dumber you are, the more you will be immersed and imagine you are a great player and feel good about your self 

Pay=Win

Edited by Twisted
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 5
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

10 hours ago, raxu_ said:

Yes, top tier is completely pay to win. Gaijin gives u the possibility to buy a helicopter that can't be killed by any of the ground vehicles.

Okey... then killing thè KA-50 with my ADATS is pure imagination? Also, techtree version is better

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

when i started playing Warthunder in 2014 it certainly was possible to play without paying anything, because there were quite a few people that didn't pay anything either and had new accounts at the same level.

If it is recommended now would be a different question, once you leave the Newbieprotection you will get into battles with players with way better vehicles and way better crews that you just can't have yet and the game doesn't give you a bonus (reward) for fighting them. And expecting a new player to suffer and learn over the course of maybe 200-300 hours to get just one crew leveled up so much to be competitive is questionable at best.

My account is (besides buying a 10$ bundle in 2018) completely free and i would never get a new crewslot just to have it be trash for a couple of month.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to start to play WT at this point and never would i tell anyone to spend money on it.

• Confused 3
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

24 minutes ago, Hardmoor said:

when i started playing Warthunder in 2014

I started roughly 2-3 years ago ( in early 2017), my brother a little bit later - yet we are pretty competitive and are often among the best of our teams. Of course as new players we suffered through tough times but we got over it, learned from our experience and acquired more knowledge on how to deal with certain enemies.

Whenever I start a new nation or a new vehicle type (land / air / sea), my crews aren't the best of course - but that isn't really an issue since you start low-level first and your crews are somewhat okay for that. If you go too fast you'll run into issues of course. Leveling up a crew doesn't take months in my book though ... xD

28 minutes ago, Hardmoor said:

I wouldn't recommend anyone to start to play WT at this point and never would i tell anyone to spend money on it.

I can recommend WT to a lot of people though, since I know that you can even beat the guys who started in the Alpha phase. There is an upper limit to the crew skills as well, so it's not like you can't catch up to them.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

15 hours ago, Josephs_Piano said:

Nor does it make you aim better or make your ammunition any more dangerous that the ammo that someone else has ground of F2P ... make your vehicles any faster...

• F-89D - Completely outclasses anything at 7.3 performance wise, the acceleration and climbrate makes it untouchable if flown correctly. Nonsense proximity fuse rockets that can score kills from several kilometers without the need to learn precise aiming. 
  • MiG-17AS - It's a MiG-17 with missiles, sitting at the same BR, it's just a better version of the tech tree variant. 
  • Sea Hawk Mk.100 - Same as the British one, except for the pair of AiM-9Bs. Same BR, same story

I could go on, all the following planes are either broken OP, undertiered or just simply better than their techtree counterparts:

USA

• P-59 - Undertiered
  • F7F-3 - Better than TT variant, same BR
  • A2D-1 - Best mid-tier CAS, very good interceptor, fights against props
  • F-89D - Already explained

Germany

• BV 238 - Ridiculous bombload / defensive armament at 3.7 compared to other bombers (Stirling is 4.7...)
  • Ju 288 C - Very fast, better bombload than a B-24, good defensive armament, smaller target
  • Me 262 A-2a - Simply lower BR than the TT variant, 2 guns less make absolutely no difference in killing power

Soviet Union:

• I-180S - Turnrate, Climbrate at 3.0?
  • Yak-3(VK-107) - Just a faster Yak
  • Be-6 - 5x23mm turrets at 5.0, better bombload than comparable BR bombers
  • MiG-17AS - Just a MiG-17 with R-3S-s, same BR

Great Britain:

• Whirlwind P.9 - Just a Whirlwind with more ammo
  • Wyvern S4 - Very fast, good climbrate, good loadouts, best british CAS

Japan:

• F4U-1A - Just a dirty clubber's dream

Italy:

• G.55S - Just a better G.55
  • G.91 R/4 - G.91 equipped with 4xAIM-9Bs or AA-Nords, same BR

France:

• Vautour IIA IDF/AF - Just a Vaotour with 4 very decent missiles, same BR

Sweden:

• Pyörremyrsky - Arguably the most powerful prop in the Swedish tree

This is as you can see only an Air RB player's point of view. I'm pretty sure I could compile lists of similar size on Ground RB, or God forbid Naval, which is a P2W slaughterfest (high-tier premium vessels are just beefed up versions of the TT variants). Bottom line is, yes, WT is pay to win. 

Edited by Csocso
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal

I'd say no.

Because such a large percentage of players ignore objectives that whatever they are paying to do it's not to win

More seriously, apart from, what has already been mentioned:

You can buy more crew slots, which can help a lot in AB air and allows a swiss army knife approach in Land and Naval

You can have a premium to expand your lineup at a given BR even without that premium necessarily being great

You can buy up crew skills

You can buy aces

None of those things will buy you victory if you don't have skills, and certainly not if you aren't playing to win

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 05/02/2020 at 00:04, DankDirk said:

Yes, you are absolutely wrong. The Ka-50 can be shot down by any ground-based vehicle. The ADATS missiles match the range of the Ka-50s, and any of the other radar-AA are more than capable of shooting it down with their cannons as well. Is the range of the Ka-50 missiles far too long, absolutely, but to say that nothing can shoot it down is absolutely false.

Sorry, false. Anyone knows the adats missiles are broken and that is only one vehicle that is also behind a grind wall of millions of RP.
You write a lot but don't say a lot. You talk like you know top tier but you've barely touched it.

Edited by raxu_
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal medal

On 05/02/2020 at 12:46, michiyl said:

Of course as new players we suffered through tough times but we got over it, learned from our experience and acquired more knowledge on how to deal with certain enemies.

yes, but i don't expect a new player to know what to do against an experienced guy and i don't expect them to learn by trial and error.

You can certainly do that, but Warthunder markets itself more to the casual player and not the hardcore Sim Fan.

On 05/02/2020 at 12:46, michiyl said:

I can recommend WT to a lot of people though, since I know that you can even beat the guys who started in the Alpha phase. There is an upper limit to the crew skills as well, so it's not like you can't catch up to them.

It's just that i can't really justify telling anyone to play Warthunder, i would need to think about whats still great about it.

On 05/02/2020 at 15:50, vanVoort said:

Because such a large percentage of players ignore objectives that whatever they are paying to do it's not to win

as Warthunder doesn't really push teamplay i wouldn't say that players are required to play to win.

Edited by Hardmoor
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, Hardmoor said:

as Warthunder doesn't really push teamplay i wouldn't say that players are required to play to win.

I wouldn't say players are "required" to play to win either

Could you truly call it "Pay to Win" if people aren't trying to win anyway?

"Pay to be better at whatever goal I've set myself" doesn't have the same ring to it, but it is more accurate.

Edited by vanVoort
  • Upvote 1

Dunno about the whole pay to win bit being debated but the game is classic Free To PLay meaning to get ahead of the grind or get a few perks you will need to drop real cash. You don't have to but by design it's gonna be a long, slow, painful uphill struggle, parent company needs to make money to recoup development costs and stay in business so it can't be completely free and painless. 

My suggestion is pick one of the 3 top nations RU, GR or US and stay between BR 4 to 5.5 or so and just enjoy the game, this is the most somewhat balanced place in this game ground war wise and if you are halfway decent easy to farm silver lions. Climbing past that point you either have very good skills or a ready credit card or by design average to under average players will start bleeding in game money little by little. 

Lastly no matter what the premium of choice is right now after the mad rush everybody makes to get one it will be nerfed and debuffed little by little till the next new big dog premium comes along. The IS-6 then the IS-7 or the OB-120 are classic examples of that strategy. At one point they were all THE op tank to have, within 6 months not so much anymore. 

Edited by SpankdaMonkey

• 1 month later...
On 05/02/2020 at 08:47, Josephs_Piano said:

This is not true, because you can pay to upgrade your crew, so they can target better, rage fiding better, reloding faster even driving better. While as I refuse to spend any money on this game I have a inexperienced, pay to wins have a full upgraded crew. Apart from take the have better vehicules as well. Most interested and better vehicules are premium, this is not only my opinion but also some youtubers. 

So yeah this game is pay to win. Honestly is the most pay to win game that I ever know, even beating FIFA Ultimate team. The game is only half free to pay, or even less, as you are not allowed to do almost nothing if you don't pay. No even choose the map you would like to play or not play. In my opnion this is the main reason for people decide to leave War Thunder, there is little reward to play this game.

On 05/02/2020 at 22:15, Hardmoor said:

when i started playing Warthunder in 2014 it certainly was possible to play without paying anything, because there were quite a few people that didn't pay anything either and had new accounts at the same level.

If it is recommended now would be a different question, once you leave the Newbieprotection you will get into battles with players with way better vehicles and way better crews that you just can't have yet and the game doesn't give you a bonus (reward) for fighting them. And expecting a new player to suffer and learn over the course of maybe 200-300 hours to get just one crew leveled up so much to be competitive is questionable at best.

My account is (besides buying a 10$ bundle in 2018) completely free and i would never get a new crewslot just to have it be trash for a couple of month.

The 100% true.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Corinthians88612 said:

This is not true, because you can pay to upgrade your crew, so they can target better, rage fiding better, reloding faster even driving better. While as I refuse to spend any money on this game I have a inexperienced, pay to wins have a full upgraded crew.

'Pay to Win' usually refers to content that is exclusively locked behind a paywall, forcing people to pay to have a chance of winning, so your example is not P2W... you can certainly pay to progress faster, both with research and crews, but there is nothing that a F2P player cannot acquire in time. Also, buying all the crew skill in the world will not make you a better player (although it will make the RNG slightly less awful).

In my experience of GF AB up to BR 7.7 (as far as I have any interest in going) there are very few examples of P2W and even those are dependent on the BR of the match (T14, KV-220, T-126, Sd.Kfz 234/4, etc).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal