Sign in to follow this  
Tidsloop

playing from public wifi or hotspot questions/how much mobile data to play wt air/hour?

from this particular public wifi im on, i cant seem to log in. i get a message that it cant connect to the servers.

if i get some free vpn, it may work i guess - dont know what vpn to use however.

someone said i can use usb tethering and the public wifi+the vpn app i have on my phone. (edit: tested now and don´t get that to work)

and so;

how much mobile data does it take to play war thunder if i wanna hotspot if nothing else works?

this info i found on some other online stuff seems promising.

Believe it or not, some of the biggest online games use very little data while you’re playing compared to streaming HD video or even high-fidelity audio.

Where streaming 4K video can use as much as 7 gigabytes (GB) per hour and high-quality audio streaming gets up to around 125 megabytes (MB) per hour, (but usually sits at around half that) certain online games use as little as 10MB per hour.*

There is, of course, a range when it comes to how much data online games use, and it’s based on several variables.

Surprisingly, that 10 megabytes-per-hour (MB/h) game is the massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) World of Warcraft, but even that comes with a disclaimer.

That data is reflective of playing alone in the online world. When playing with or against other players, the number can jump to around 40MB/h or higher.*

https://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/entertainment/how-much-data-does-gaming-use-through-popular-examples

would be cheap if its only 50-150mb/hour data to play. might just try it out later tonight and see. if anyone already knows, let me know.

appreciate any help - are there any somewhat safe considered free vpn services out there i can get to my computer? or if it´s just like 100mb/h to play war thunder, then i might as well do that… 

edit, i found this

On 07/02/2016 at 14:36, Warlord1981NL said:

It's around 60kB/s, excluding updates. That means about 211 MB per hour.

(Pure playtime that is, not when slouching in the hanger, of course)

sounds good enough, ill test it soon.

Is the data usage lower if i play on low settings or is it the same? I set it on low cause i thought it would save some battery.

Tested: Seems to be the same, very low data drain from air arcade in high settings. Around 1mb/minute. 

Does realistic flights take less data since there is less going on?

Edited by Tidsloop
  • Upvote 1
medal

5 minutes ago, pampidoo said:

Public WI-FI may have some restrictions about placed where you can or can't visit/login. Just saying.

Yeah, i´ve noticed. I know two places i can log on without problems and play, most others it is restricted. But with a vpn maybe this restriction would be worked around.

medal

1 hour ago, pampidoo said:

Are you homeless?

yeah, no worries tho. mild Winter in sweden this year.

Spoiler

been off and on for many years i barely care anymore. wasnt my fault, i couldnt continue working, had to quit my job. doctors didnt believe i had pains cause they didnt find what was wrong, Im not the whining type, not gonna sit there and cry and make up an act about it, i just assumed being honest and say straight up how it was and what i needed would be enough but ye… after not too long time they would not give me a break from work since they couldnt find anything wrong, so apparently i must have faked it. Went to 7 or 8 different ones to see if they could fix me but their pill treatments didnt do anything but make me allergic to that stuff. the competence was not there, found a surgeon and got surgeries a couple of years later so its sort of fixed, but then it was too late, was already out, and rehab process complicated since i had gone with that stuff for a while, the situation i was in etc. and apparently, since i quit my job cause i couldnt do it no more (electrician), i apparently had no rights. they didnt teach these things in school ill tell u that much haha. damn country i live in..Sweden! i did seek help like 4Winters ago when i thought i really needed it  cause i was really ***** up and got Everything stolen from me and blabla but i didnt get any. still alive so, guess i didnt need the help then after all.  -We didnt pay enough taxes. xD

and now i know how to get by so idk what to say about it really, xxxx it ill just do my best and its gonna have to pay off eventually or it just is what it is. bit trashy clothes and chilled sometimes but i have the viking in me, whats it really to complain about. this Winter is really easy in that sense. i missed playing some war thunder, so got myself a laptop on second hand, and a phone a few months ago. never had a smart phone Before, and now even tho i drift outdoors and sleep wherever most of the time, where i get tired if i dont make it back to camp, i guess the situation is quite alright. public wifi´s are everywhere, so i have free tv/internet/Youtube all over. yeah, waste of time complaining but thats what it is. i did have a room for a while with an old computer where i would rest sometimes and just take it easy and play if i wanted to but thats not available since quite some time. but its the same, i was outdoors most of the time anyway so there was no transition. again, i get by, dont beg, never steal, no nothing. no Welfare or job right now, but on the other hand since im no addict or anything so i dont have any expenses either really… ill find a way im sure. could take one or a few more years but if thats what it takes its fine.

Edited by Tidsloop
medal

7 minutes ago, blastedryan said:

Just get a vpn on your computer and go through that.

Yeah gonna look for one in a bit, somewhat tired at the moment, got distracted on youtube. Lot of good skiing/snowboard superpipe and slopestyle contests and what have u recently streamed/uploaded. Actually may just drop on the spot within the hour and deal with this tomorrow or later tonight when i wake up:) if u know a good and free vpn, feel free to lmk

medal

VPN would not resolve the problem. If hotspot or any connection have restriction on specific services made by administrator in settings you can't do anything without changing it.

VPN gives you possibility to change your IP to prevent tracking you only but still if you are using free hotspot you are dependent on connection settings.

Some web browser gives you some "anonymity" like incognito modes.

medal

2 hours ago, pampidoo said:

VPN would not resolve the problem. If hotspot or any connection have restriction on specific services made by administrator in settings you can't do anything without changing it.

A proper VPN will encrypt your data as it goes to the VPN server bypassing the restrictions.

medal medal medal

Just tried via usb, worked great.

I didnt check exactly how much it took but i think around 15mb per 10 minutes in air arcade. 

Ill edit in more precise numbers later. (edit: seems closer to 1mb/minute. Very nice, less than streaming a 140p quality video)

Is the data usage lower if i play on low settings or is it the same? I set it on low cause i thought it would save some battery.

In a few hours ill see what i can do.

Edited by Tidsloop
medal

11 hours ago, blastedryan said:

A proper VPN will encrypt your data as it goes to the VPN server bypassing the restrictions.

VPN does not encrypt anything else then your IPN. You cannot "bypass" any connection restriction without administrator permission just only changing your IP.

Any incognito modes does not changing your IP but they are preventing for saving your data, history of searching etc on sites, through which can flood your email address with spam messages for example.

medal

7 hours ago, Tidsloop said:

Is the data usage lower if i play on low settings or is it the same?

Shouldn't matter. Graphics are all done on your computer.

7 hours ago, Tidsloop said:

Hard to tell. I'd imagine it's less since the games have less players.

6 hours ago, pampidoo said:

Ok you have no idea what you're talking about.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Sign in to follow this