ColdMatches

Do you think the Soviet tanks could get their NBC/Spall liners?

An excerpt from a Tankograd article on the T-72, part 2:

"As mentioned before, the lining and cladding not only function as neutron absorbers, but they perform admirably as a form of spall liner as well. This CIA document reports on page 13 that the anti-radiation liner found on the T-72 and T-64 functions as a spall liner, and Rickard Lindström reports that Swedish trials of purchased ex-East German T-72M1s led to the conclusion that the anti-radiation liner was perfectly capable of absorbing the secondary fragments of shaped charge jets.

Depending on the construction, spall liners may reduce the spray cone angle of secondary fragments from a shaped charge warhead by up to 50% or more if the armour is greatly overmatched and it is possible reduce the quantity of secondary fragments by up to 80%. The NII Stali website gives a more optimistic claim that the spray cone angle of secondary fragments (from an unknown type of armour-piercing round) can be reduced by a factor of 3 and the quantity of fragments can be reduced by a factor of 10."

It's 20-50mm spall liner, more on the turret top and less around the glacis. I think it wouldn't hurt to add in.

Edited by ColdMatches
  • Like 1

On 23/01/2020 at 17:53, ColdMatches said:

An excerpt from a Tankograd article on the T-72, part 2:

"As mentioned before, the lining and cladding not only function as neutron absorbers, but they perform admirably as a form of spall liner as well. This CIA document reports on page 13 that the anti-radiation liner found on the T-72 and T-64 functions as a spall liner, and Rickard Lindström reports that Swedish trials of purchased ex-East German T-72M1s led to the conclusion that the anti-radiation liner was perfectly capable of absorbing the secondary fragments of shaped charge jets.

Depending on the construction, spall liners may reduce the spray cone angle of secondary fragments from a shaped charge warhead by up to 50% or more if the armour is greatly overmatched and it is possible reduce the quantity of secondary fragments by up to 80%. The NII Stali website gives a more optimistic claim that the spray cone angle of secondary fragments (from an unknown type of armour-piercing round) can be reduced by a factor of 3 and the quantity of fragments can be reduced by a factor of 10."

It's 20-50mm spall liner, more on the turret top and less around the glacis. I think it wouldn't hurt to add in.

definitely

+1

do you have the documents? Because this could be implemented if you can provide proper documentation

• Like 1
medal

On 01/02/2020 at 03:21, GoddePro said:

definitely

+1

do you have the documents? Because this could be implemented if you can provide proper documentation

I have access to some manuals of the tanks, would have to do some searching...

On 04/02/2020 at 06:10, ColdMatches said:

I have access to some manuals of the tanks, would have to do some searching...

awesome!

you could submit a bug report and wait 10 years for it to be implemented :P

• Haha 1
medal

10 hours ago, GoddePro said:

awesome!

you could submit a bug report and wait 10 years for it to be implemented :P

Nah, it's Soviet, it would never be implemented.

I remember when a number of us tried to get Gaijin to give T-54's better turret traverse, providing Russian primary sources stating that it could have up to 13°/sec turret traverse, but Gaijin just dismissed it all or even blithely ignored. I guess T-54's would then be more competitive and thus average Leo player would've felt threatened...

I've seen quite a few posts on Russian forums with complaints over Russian tank turret traverse being unrealistically nerfed, with comparison videos of RL tanks compared to WT tanks. Same for Shturm with it's launcher arm - it takes 1.5 seconds for it to extend IRL, but ingame it takes 9.5 seconds for launcher to be ready after the tank comes to a full stop... That's a HUGE difference, which makes sure that the vehicle is basically useless unless it's camping somewhere far behind. Hell, HOT that is lower tiered (which is a complete and utter disgrace that Gaijin never should've allowed themselves) can still shoot on the move.

So, not only do we have a case where Russia is being held back 10 years in tech, but also the stuff that is in game is artificially nerfed "for balance" (aka to appease sheetty Germany players).

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/473700-mig-21-smt-1971-vs-f4-c-1963-really/&tab=comments#comment-8369803

Stona_confirms_USSR_outdated.png.6444729

• Haha 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

38 minutes ago, NoodleCup31 said:

Spall liners are already implemented in game.

They stop the smallest fragment type.

MoWAS2 is light years ahead of WT in that.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, ColdMatches said:

Only on T-55A I'm afraid

I suppose making the bug report can't hurt. 

There's always that 1/100 chance of them getting drunk and putting the tick over this mod

it just depends on how much you care about spall liners and historical accuracy. 

medal

20 minutes ago, PrussianOwl said:

Wait this wasn't a mechanic before? This is bug report worthy

it definitely is...

but gaijin don't have the best track record in handling bug reports

medal

1 hour ago, GoddePro said:

it definitely is...

but gaijin don't have the best track record in handling bug reports

Well I made a bug report for it. Now we wait 5 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ColdMatches said:

Well I made a bug report for it. Now we wait 5 years.

that's great 

I'll set the doomsday clock :P

medal