As the title says. At least I think that the Jagdpanther gets played less than it deserves. For me, it is a kick-**** tank and when the conditions are right, it will dominate the battle. So, what is so good about it? The Jagdpanther is imho one of the best combinations of speed/mobility, armor and firepower in the game. It is very fast and as long as it does not need to reverse, very mobile all around. Next is its armor. The Jagdpanther is one of the rare tanks in the game that can engage most of its common enemies without having to fear retaliation, because its frontal armor is so strong. This gets amplified if you are able to use terrain to cover your LFP and tilt backwards. Then the frontal armor becomes immune even to the long 88mm as well as russian 122mm guns, which are the most common dangerous enemies (against british tanks and HEAT-FS this does not help, though). So, if the map permits and it is played correctly, the JP is untouchable. But at the same time, the Jagdpanther is so fast it will get to these nice spots that combine terrain and field of fire so quick that it can deny large swaths of the map to the enemy.

But now to the best part of the Jagdpanther: the combination of gun and optics. We all know the gun, it is very good, accurate, has high penetration and post-pen damage. But combine it with the terrific zoom of the JP (and armor and speed), and you get the perfect sniper tank. Thanks to the changes in map rotation last year in autumn, I was able to play the JP on Fields of Poland a few times now. It is usually devastating to the enemy. Here I regularly get kills up to 2 km, with 2.6 km being my largest distance for a kill shot. Side shots against fast moving T-44 over (say) 1.6 km are doable because of the high muzzle velocity.

The downside is that the Jagdpanther is not an all-rounder. It does not like cities. It does not have a turret (if it had, it would be at BR 7.0 ;) ). At the same time, the lack of a turret leaves its frontal plate unobstructed and enhances its armors value.

I'm writing this because I hope more people will give the Jagdpanther a try, but also as a response to this topic on the M26. The M26 is a great tank, especially in cities and/or in downtiers. To some degree, the M26 is the anti-Jagdpanther. The JP thrives in slightly hilly, wide open maps like Maginot and because of its gun the JP is valid still in uptiers; the M26 suffers more in an uptier.

Disclaimer: I'm talking about Arcade Battles here.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

<3 the Jagdpanther, one of my favourite TDs in the game! It is nuts when you can hide the LFP, it hits well above its weight. :yes_yes_yes:

It's okayish, but only few maps support it's playstyle and it is easily defeated. Some light tanks can kill it frontaly pretty much from everywhere. I used to play it alot when it's armor was better, because of less potent enemies.

medal medal

I really quite enjoy the Jagdpanther tbh. I've had the Bfw. since the early days of GF when it was one of a few premiums. Even though it's heavier than the panthers in practice it seems more agile especially at low speeds. It's neutral steering is speed is quick and it's 3rd gear turning even faster. It has trolly enough armor allowing you to bounce stuff like 76s and 85s. The gun will 1 shot 90% of the targets you face and the optics are pretty decent for German standards at it's BR. Throw it in a line up with the Tiger II P which is also fairly underrated and a couple panthers with the ostwind II for aa and you have a pretty decent line up. As long as you get into a position quick with a good enough range you are set. You mitigate the advantage brit stabs have over you by being stationary and when they shoot you they will rarely 1 shot where they have little armor allowing the 88 to get through. The smoke grenades are also very good for making escapes and repairing.

For how much 6.7-7.3 gets pulled up to 7.7, 6.3 gives you a decent BR bracket where around 60%+ of your games are at or below 6.3 where your only real threats are IS-2s. Overall a good tank to shun the Ferdinand with for the failure and disappointment that it is.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

11 hours ago, Ulfgar_Septimus said:

It's okayish, but only few maps support it's playstyle and it is easily defeated. Some light tanks can kill it frontaly pretty much from everywhere. I used to play it alot when it's armor was better, because of less potent enemies.

Are we talking AB or RB? Because in AB (see my disclaimer ;) ) the light tanks are not numerous. I just looked up your stats, you play exclusively Sim and RB, I play mostly AB.

Some light tanks can kill it frontaly pretty much from everywhere.

Sure, PT-76 and M41 can pen it frontally but rarely one-shot a JP and are rare enemies. The T92 is a tough cookie and hard to dislodge when played right, but also a rare enemy. In any case, in AB you can much better react to what is facing you.

I used to play it alot when it's armor was better, because of less potent enemies.

I think its armor got nerfed by one of the reworks of the penetration mechanic one or two years ago. You have to be more careful now. Despite, I think it is still a great tank.

but only few maps support it's playstyle and it is easily defeated

I agree that there are maps where it does not really work well. Italy is pure hell for the JP, almost the only way it can do well on this map is when there is a substantive push and flank in the north and it can make use of the terrain again outside the city. However, my point is, when it does work out, the Jagdpanther borders on overpowered :D Think Maginot (mid and east of map), Fields of Poland, Sands of Sinai (western half). Or Cologne in a downtier - just go east and march down the most eastern road, no-one can stop you.
When I get these maps, I know that there is a very high chance my JP will have a major impact on the battle and kill loads of enemy tanks. In fact
, german 6.3 is one of my lineups I use to get the 11 kills in one of these Operation X.Y.Z. events. On top, as AnimeThigh said, MM is currently quite generous (with the Tiger H1 now at 5.3), but even in full uptiers I think the JP lineup is one that holds up very well.

medal medal medal medal medal

It a good tank that can be used to great effect on ridgelines but the most common enemy, the british whose sugarcubes tend to go through regardless, then the awful reverse speed starts to show. You just can't back out of a messy situation. Russian 122 has no problem with the armour, rarely you get exacly the angle where you're most protected and can still fire back. However, once you minimize the threat to yourself then it's very effective. If I get less than 3 kills with Jadgpanther then I consider this a slow/failed battle.

Edited by Taeblamees