3.7in AA Gun SAP Round (QF 3.7 Ram)

XreGenerations@psn

I was looking up some pen stats for the gun online and found this sekrit dokument that show it has a SAP round.

0cdsmN5.png

I couldnt find any information on this round.

What exactly is this round? Does it contain filler?

• Upvote 1
medal medal

The gun had various versions of each type of round. AP, SAP, HE and even Shrapnel.

qxphIM1.png

xL7htRY.png

MK II, MK III, MK IV and so on and so forth. even a VT fuze was developed in Canada in 1943 for it. a dozen + HE rounds with various explosive filling types, combinations, design changes and fuze types.

I don't recall if any 3.7" SAP rounds ever had filler.

Towards the end/start of 1943/1944 they stated the 3.7" AA gun used in the ground role and using SAP would not be up to the job expected of it. They had an APC round in development but dropped it and went with the same APCBC round the 32 pdr on the tortoise ended up using.

Just fired at a much lower velocity of an estimated 2550 fps compared to the 32 pdr.

q1kE3rs.png

STc70M2.jpg

QaPiT4j.jpg

Edited by Whelmy
  • Upvote 1
medal

2 hours ago, Whelmy said:

The gun had various versions of each type of round. AP, SAP, HE and even Shrapnel.

qxphIM1.png

xL7htRY.png

MK II, MK III, MK IV and so on and so forth. even a VT fuze was developed in Canada in 1943 for it. a dozen + HE rounds with various explosive filling types, combinations, design changes and fuze types.

I don't recall if any 3.7" SAP rounds ever had filler.

Towards the end/start of 1943/1944 they stated the 3.7" AA gun used in the ground role and using SAP would not be up to the job expected of it. They had an APC round in development but dropped it and went with the same APCBC round the 32 pdr on the tortoise ended up using.

Just fired at a much lower velocity of an estimated 2550 fps compared to the 32 pdr.

q1kE3rs.png

STc70M2.jpg

QaPiT4j.jpg

Will we be seeing a bug report for this Whelmy? Seems like a missed opportunity to miss this. 

Also, is that hole in the front armour where the driver is historical? It seems very stange.

medal

16 hours ago, TheFuzzieOne said:

SAP is basically APHE. (there are differences but essentially on a broad term)

There's a bit more to than that, for shell: yes, shot: no. As Whelmy's post shows, all types seems to be shot, hence the filling data being blank and tracers in cavities.

Here this should explain it:

https://imgur.com/a/GWXYqlk

medal medal

10 hours ago, Jarms said:

Will we be seeing a bug report for this Whelmy? Seems like a missed opportunity to miss this. 

Also, is that hole in the front armour where the driver is historical? It seems very stange.

I doubt it was meant to go into production like that, probably some kind of inner sliding panel or folding down design to cover the drivers opening. the entire front plate could fold down as well as that would be more platform for the crew.

Same with the giant holes above the driver and co-driver, those had hatches. The gun was designed to rotate the full 360 deg and the gun crew had to move around and service the gun while it was doing that in whatever position. having two giant holes for the crew to fall into while doing that would be silly.

Edited by Whelmy
medal