IJN Agano - Now Useless

Drunken_Jedi

Recent changes to SAP ammunition have hit the Agano, my favourite IJN CL extremely hard. It now only has 81mm of penetration at 1000m, falling to only 45mm at 10,000m. This means the Agano has no real way to counter enemy CL's, least alone enemy CA's. The Brooklyn is almost entirely immune to it, even at point blank range. This is the case for almost all CL's in the game it's likely to face on a regular basis.

What's REALLY confusing, is the IJN Kuma's SAP, despite being a lighter shell (37.87kg compared to 45.26kg on the Agano) and being a smaller caliber, 140mm compared to 152mm has MORE penetration, coming in at 112mm which while still pretty atrocious makes literally no sense in terms of penetration values. I genuinely question where Gaijin pulled these new figures out of their arse from, the IJN have been repeatedly nerfed since their introduction for seemingly no good reason, while the Wehraboos get their wet dream lineup of two Hipper class CA's and the Graf Spee.

Since historical accuracy has seemingly been thrown out the window in favour of these flawed calculations for penetration Gaijin are referring to now, it would seem to make sense that some exceptions should be made for gameplay purposes. There is literally no reason to sail the Agano at this point in time, if it's guns are to retain such pitiful penetration is stands to good reason that it would be reduced in BR considerably.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Can we stop non-historical nerfs against Japan, please ?? 
This is getting annoying. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Zarosun said:

Can we stop non-historical nerfs against Japan, please ?? 
This is getting annoying. 

This change applies to everyone not exclusively Japan.

As far as I can tell it's more historical than before, at least Omaha's SAP won't be superior to 1930s super-heavy AP anymore. British 6in CPBC's penetration now also being closer to historical penetration table. As for Agano her gun was obsolete anyway and her "SAP" ammo was actually base-fused HE so it makes sense to have terrible penetration.

Edited by HK_Reporter
medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Magiaconatus said:

That gun was quite bad irl as well, so I wouldn't call it a nerf. 

1 hour ago, HK_Reporter said:

As far as I can tell it's more historical than before, at least Omaha's SAP won't be superior to 1930s super-heavy AP anymore. British 6in CPBC's penetration now also being closer to historical penetration table. As for Agano her gun was obsolete anyway and her "SAP" ammo was actually base-fused HE so it makes sense to have terrible penetration.

Yeah, the gun itself was bad. But the penetration seems really suspicious to me.

I am wary of gaijin in terms of Japanese data I would like someone to confirm it to me

(excuse my grammar, I'm not an english speaker)

Edited by Zarosun
Error

10 minutes ago, HK_Reporter said:

As far as I can tell it's more historical than before, at least Omaha's SAP won't be superior to 1930s super-heavy AP anymore. British 6in CPBC's penetration now also being closer to historical penetration table. As for Agano her gun was obsolete anyway and her "SAP" ammo was actually base-fused HE so it makes sense to have terrible penetration.

OOF and capital F for me because I am grinding the Suzuya with Agano.:D

Edited by Magiaconatus
medal

@HK_Reporter

the problem is that i think gaijin has mixed historical data with their formula

war thunder.PNG

I admit that my first message was on the anger excused me

excuse my grammar, I'm not an english speaker

Edited by Zarosun
Sorry

6 minutes ago, Zarosun said:

@HK_Reporter

the problem is that i think gaijin has mixed historical data with their formula

war thunder.PNG

It's still supposed to be a terrible gun even with their calculator.

Checking historical ballistic table, impact velocity is 350mps at 10000m, thus penetration shall be 57mm with gaijin's calculator.

I don't know where they get "historical data" for SAP shells, but I think it's more likely that they now gives a penalty multiplier on them because the calculator itself doesn't count the shell quality and cap design in.

So the new penetration for Agano's SAP is fine... No way such obsolete type of base fuse HE should have decent performance.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, HK_Reporter said:

It's still supposed to be a terrible gun even with their calculator.

Checking historical ballistic table, impact velocity is 350mps at 10000m, thus penetration shall be 57mm with gaijin's calculator.

I don't know where they get "historical data" for SAP shells, but I think it's more likely that they now gives a penalty multiplier on them because the calculator itself doesn't count the shell quality and cap design in.

So the new penetration for Agano's SAP is fine... No way such obsolete type of base fuse HE should have decent performance.

The gaijin calculator for me is not correct because a lot of value is false compared to reality .

If you are right and the penetration is correct it should go to 5.0

I see no reason why it should stay at its current br

I am extremely disappointed with the ijn I must admit:crying:

I hope it improves in the upper ranks

thank you for your attention good day:salute:

Edited by Zarosun

2 hours ago, MeguMinMax said:

I have the Suzuya and extremly enjoy it so far. It is far more chill than british high tier in naval.

The Suzuya can even take on Graf Spees easily

Just be aware Suzuya's AP might be nerfed at anytime. Currently its penetration at 15km is almsot 2 times overperforms of what it should to be.

medal medal medal medal

10 minutes ago, HK_Reporter said:

Just be aware Suzuya's AP might be nerfed at anytime. Currently its penetration at 15km is almsot 2 times overperforms of what it should to be.

I think a lot of over-performing shells with the calculator I don't know if this will be corrected or not

i don't know how he calculates the distances with that

I hope you understand me because it's hard to explain what I think because I don't speak English

• 1 year later...
On 03/06/2021 at 01:41, Magiaconatus said:

Yes, the original mid-section was incorrectly modelled.

Yeah, I just noticed this myself. That anti-air loadout can't be correct for a late war Japanese ship. Maybe as built, but not for 1944. Anything from that period should have 25mm Triple, Double and single mounts all over (plus a bunch of 13mm guns for good measure heh). That's all they had so they would just load the ship to the brim with them. Kiyoshimo, Shimakaze, Akizuki, Tone and Isuzu all mirrored this correctly.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 months later...