jackTIGR

So, where is the T-90A or, better yet, T-90MS or 90M? Or T-72B?

Played recently a bit soviet 8.3 again. It still often is the best vehicle to spawn in my opinion at this BR. It still kills stuff with side shots. I mean it won't change too much anyway since usually you only shoot the enemy when he is perfectly sidewards to you so you don't risk bounces or non penetrations and therefore a death in return. So my conclusion is it's not worth arguing about it because it still basically works the same.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, Rainbowprincess said:

Played recently a bit soviet 8.3 again. It still often is the best vehicle to spawn in my opinion at this BR. It still kills stuff with side shots. I mean it won't change too much anyway since usually you only shoot the enemy when he is perfectly sidewards to you so you don't risk bounces or non penetrations and therefore a death in return. So my conclusion is it's not worth arguing about it because it still basically works the same.

Well, the difference is, now it's been delegated to flanking only (unless facing Italian memecars) while before it could still face stuff head-on. 20mm of pen IS a difference. But like you said, best +8.0 Soviet vehicle (which is a pretty sad statement to begin with and says everything about Soviet MBTs).

medal medal medal medal medal medal

I never trusted frontal engagements in this thing and always went for the cannon barrels then.

well the 8.x meta is defined by italy and germany. Means fast stabilized APFSDS without much protection. So the best counter is fast light vehicles with auto cannons, because armor is irrelevant. => obj 906 and bmp-2

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

53 minutes ago, Rainbowprincess said:

I never trusted frontal engagements in this thing and always went for the cannon barrels then.

well the 8.x meta is defined by italy and germany. Means fast stabilized APFSDS without much protection.

And in significant amount also thermals.

1 hour ago, Rainbowprincess said:

nightvision equipment is one reason why I like the the svoiet high tiers. the infrared spotlight is cool :D

Haha yes I love that goofy thing. All my 8.3s have them but I've only researched the one on the T-62 so far.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Test drove Type-89 that I'm grinding. That thing is so far above and beyond BMP-2 (not to mention BMP-3) in capability that it makes my mind boggle how Gaijin thinks they should be at same BR. I honestly think 89 should be at 9.0 and BMP-3  at 8.3 instead.

10 hours ago, jackTIGR said:

Test drove Type-89 that I'm grinding. That thing is so far above and beyond BMP-2 (not to mention BMP-3) in capability that it makes my mind boggle how Gaijin thinks they should be at same BR. I honestly think 89 should be at 9.0 and BMP-3  at 8.3 instead.

all the BMP-3 needs is 20 second ATGM load time (maybe 5 or so with the autoloader added) and a nerf of the hullbreak mechanic so it only triggers at CoM. ATM, this thing feels like a china doll.

medal

16 hours ago, GoddePro said:

all the BMP-3 needs is 20 second ATGM load time (maybe 5 or so with the autoloader added)

I would rather say it needs the original reload time back.

16 hours ago, GoddePro said:

and a nerf of the hullbreak mechanic

And 8.3 BR. And then it would be tied and balanced with Type-89. 89 would still have better and more ammo and other stuff, while BMP would have more ATGMs.

Right this moment it's a 8.0 vehicle, even including the top missiles, it's capabilities are just so nerfed.

12 hours ago, jackTIGR said:

I would rather say it needs the original reload time back.

And 8.3 BR. And then it would be tied and balanced with Type-89. 89 would still have better and more ammo and other stuff, while BMP would have more ATGMs.

Right this moment it's a 8.0 vehicle, even including the top missiles, it's capabilities are just so nerfed.

I see people doing pretty well with it

what I don't like is when people balance vehicles by the "X equivalent tank is at X br so it should go there too so that we can club them back"

not a good idea. I would like to keep balance where I can, and in this case, it seems feasible gaijin will eventually uptier the Type 89 when it gets a more interesting replacement. 

what are its benefits (based on IRL, not the Frankenstein in-game version we have):

- fire ATGMs on the move from main gun

- ford water

- 30mm autocannon

- regular 7.69mm mg too

- low profile

- good frontal armour (immune to most autocannons)

- decently fast (not as fast as an MBT though...)

- future ERA packages may stop some ATGMs from splashing into tank

in the end, you have to remember this is 90s tech. If I had my way, the BMP-1P would be where the BMP-2 is, and that thing would go to 8.7-9.0, with the BMP-3 at 10.0 or 10.3 

but because of how broken the br system is, this can't work, so we're suck with it the way it is. It's always better to buff something than downtier it, as this increases compression (unless it's insanely over-br'd like the object 685)

medal