tbhoop

CaptDaragoth's Naval Tutorials

I'll be moving the content of my previous threads into this one and will be using this thread for here on out.

Ship in Review: USN Higgins 81 Foot, PT-6

Pros:

• Moderate Max Speed for a Reserve
  • Both Guns can full a near 360 Degrees with minimal to know restrictions from something on the boat preventing them from Firing
  • Torpedo Tubes positioned in a way that allow them to fire nearly straight forward
  • Reasonable Crew count for a crew, allowing the boat to survive longer then a ship with a low crew count

Cons:

• No Armor. Not even on the Gun Mounts to protect the Gunners
  • Lower Speeds then Reserve ships available to the Axis Nations
  • Torpedo Pods are on the deck of the ship, making disabling them easier then if they were inside the ship
  • High Water Profile (sits high above the waters surface), making it a easier target then the available Axis Reserves
  • Only uses a Wood type Hull and Super Structure, allowing it to be eaten by enemy MGs and large caliber shells.

This is a first of what I hope to be many Ship reviews for Naval. It's a mode I am very passionate about and love very dearly. I am hoping this reviews and the ones I'll be posting afterwards will help new players know what ships they will or won't like and allow them to then pick a nation that fits what they are looking for.

I do not have a studio quality Microphone and I am using a Logitech gaming headset to record these. I did my best to make what I have and can afford work.

(Original thread can be found here: https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/470085-war-thunder-ship-review-usns-reserve-higgins-81-foot-pt-6 )

War Thunder Ship Review - USN's Attempt at AA Power: Elco 77 Foot, PT-20

Pros:

• Four Torpedo Tubes
  • Faster then Reserve PT Boat
  • Great Total Ammo Capacity
  • Makes for a great Anti-Air vessel with the gun turret geared towards firing at stepper angles then the typical Machine gun placement.
  • The "Pod-esk" visual design for the MGs look cool.

Cons:

• Gun Placement prevents forward firing and firing both when looking to the either side of the boat.
  • Torpedo Tubes no longer can be launched without turning the boat. The boat must be turned to aim them rather then with the Higgins where the tubes are facing directly forward.
  • Lower Crew Count, making it so you can be De-crewed faster.
  • High Water Profile with the front of the ship raising out the water at a very steep angle. Making you a much easier target then it's predecessor.
  • Depth Charges are not longer part of your arsenal for this PT boat.
  • Costs SL and RP to unlock (this will also be listed for the 80 Foot Nasty, in case any players looking at this review are completely new to War Thunder)

(Original thread can be found here: https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/470474-war-thunder-ship-review-usns-attempt-at-aa-power-elco-77-foot-pt-20/ )

Edited by CaptDaragoth
Fixed Typos
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal

Ship in Review: Higgins 78 Foot, PT-71

Pros:

• Four Torpedo Tubes
  • Primary Armament has returned to the better form seen with the USN Reserve Vessel
  • First USN Vessel with a AI Controlled Secondary. Allowing for better engagement options

Cons:

• Lower Crew Count then it's predecessors
  • Slower Top Speed
  • Lack of Depth Charges
  • Total Ammo is split between the Primary and Secondary Armaments. Total Ammo combining both guns totals to 9200, 400 less then it's predecessor

Side Note: I want to apologize for the sudden gap of silence with my reviews. Been dealing with some personal matters that had tanked my creative spark. I am working on that and hope everyone reads or watches my reviews will look forward to the next one I plan to post soon. Thank you for your understanding and patience. :)

Edited by CaptDaragoth
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal

Ship in Review: Elco 80 Foot, PT-103

Pros:

• Faster then it's predecessor in the Tech Tree
  • Regains usage of Depth Charges

Cons:

• Higher Cost to Research, buy and crew train at it's BR. On par with the cost of the 110 Foot SC-497, which offers more for your buck.
  • Loses two of it's Torpedo Tubes
  • Loses half of both it's max ammo reserves
  • Both Turrets cannot be fired at the same time from almost all angles. Only time when it's possible is when you are showing broadside, however it's the side that your ammo reserves are located on.

Edited by CaptDaragoth
medal medal medal medal