Localization Overhaul Project

Hello, I am currently editing the localization of the game files and have decided to post my progress here for anyone that's willing to help.

Objectives of the LOP (Localization Overhaul Project)

• Apply full names to every ground vehicle, plane, helicopter, and vessel currently in-game. FULFILLED
  • Apply full names to AI objects when applicable (ex. Artillery -> 75 mm M3)*. FULFILLED
  • Make the medium-range and long-range names more uniform when needed. FULFILLED
  • Make the War Thunder experience more immersive for players.

Why I Started it

Originally I just wanted to change the names of some ground vehicles in Japan, but then I started doing all of them, and the air vehicles, once I figured out the localization. After that was done I realized the names would be out of place and so I decided to start doing the other nations, starting from America, then the Soviets, Germany, and then the United Kingdom which I am still working on at the time of writing this. When approaching the British boats I realized that I don't really know all of the names and can't find them, so I decided to post this here to get some help with people reviewing my work and suggesting changes.

List of Changes to the Names Thus Far & Progress

Completed Tech Trees:

• All

Tech Trees that have been reviewed for Corrections:

Germany

Japan

Italy

Full Changelog (updated for 0.1.4)

What I need from you

I am trying to make the names as authentic as possible and to that extent I welcome any criticism of the changes I have listed to make them more accurate to reality and to overall improve the experience for myself when this is finished and for others once I release it. I don't only welcome it but I really encourage it, I know some of the names here are wrong and need help fixing that.

Timeline

Early November: Project de facto started, initially only doing Japan

November 25th of 2019: Project de jure started and "Localization Overhaul Project" thread started.

November 30th of 2019: After two to three weeks, average one to hours for the smaller trees and two to four hours for the larger trees, of development the Open Beta is started with 0.1.0.

December 5th of 2019: The 0.1.1 version was released which focused on cleaning up and correcting the Japanese names.

December 14th of 2019: A discussion was started in an attempt to get the German names reviewed.

December 17th of 2019: The 0.1.2 version was released which was a hotfix to add Swedish and other missing localization code.

January 8th of 2020: The 0.1.25 version was released which focused on refining the German and French ground forces.

January 26th of 2020: The 0.1.3 version was released which focused on renaming vehicles in the British, Swedish, and German air trees, the American and German naval trees, and changed the names of the German and American ammunition, ordnance, and weaponry across all trees.

February 1st of 2020: The 0.1.35 version was released which added in the missing code for the BA-11 and USS Phelps, along with a WIP revision to the Italian trees.

February 27th of 2020: The 0.1.4 version was released which focused on the Italian trees, the German air tree, and American ordnance and ammunition. It also introduced changes to the AI units found in AF.

April 30th of 2020: The 0.1.5 version was released.

June 2nd of 2020: The 0.1.6 version was released.

August 13th of 2020: the 1.0.0 version was released.

August 15th of 2020: The 1.0.1 version was released.

August 26th of 2020: The 1.0.2 version was released.

September 3rd of 2020: The 1.1.0 version was released.

November 21st of 2020: The 1.2.0 version was released.

Mod Versions

Open Beta:

0.1.0 (War Thunder Live)

0.1.1 (War Thunder Live)

0.1.2 (War Thunder Live)

0.1.25 (War Thunder Live)

0.1.3 (War Thunder Live)

0.1.35 (War Thunder Live)

0.1.4 (War Thunder Live)

0.1.5 (War Thunder Live)

0.1.6 (War Thunder Live)

Release:

1.0.0 (War Thunder Live)

1.0.1 (War Thunder Live)

1.0.2 (War Thunder Live)

1.1.0 (War Thunder Live)

1.2.0 (War Thunder Live)

Edited by Wiggly_Armed_Man
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

I only effectively have two nations left to do, and most likely I will end up butchering the names if I try to fix them, and if they need fixing, because for some reason official names for the French and Italian vehicles seem to be hard to come by.

Edit: I do want to note one thing, the reason I have (Late) after the Light Tank, M24 'Chaffee', in the Japanese ground forces is because it should be a "late"/postwar model where the smoke launcher was removed in the favour of a second radio. I have it there in anticipation the model is fixed.

medal medal medal medal

Open Beta

I have released the first public version of the mod, this is 0.1.0 and has been release before any of my work has been peer-viewed so there are errors. The War Thunder Live post and download for it can be found here.

Changelog:

• The names of the American, German, Soviet, British, Japanese, Chinese, Italian, French, and Swedish playable vehicles have been changed to their full and official designations.

Full Changelog (Blogger)

medal medal medal medal

What to expect for 0.1.1

0.1.1 will be the next version of the mod and will be released shortly. A list of changes that could be coming are:

• More accurate names once their respective trees get reviewed. @Miki_Hoshii has already reviewed the Japanese helicopter, though I can't think of anyone who would be willing to review the other trees as I only know a few experts/very knowledgeable people of the Japanese trees and none that would dedicate their time to this.
  • Renamed weapons and shells, either to be more accurate or to give more information.

When will Beta end or will you pull a "Beta is forever" move?

After the trees are reviewed and corrections are made Beta will be over. Alpha will began after that, and conclude with the "full release" once the renaming of also the weapons and AI units are done. From there hotfixes will be made and it will be updated along with the game.

medal medal medal medal

Note About Smoke Launchers: They are not individual and nations share smoke launchers, as such I cannot rename them.

In General Note: The weapons tend to be shared as are the shells across nations. This makes it difficult, if not impossible, to get accurate designations. An example of this is the M2HB which is called the "Browning Machine Gun, Caliber .50, , M2, HB, Flexible/Fixed/Turret Type " in the United States but is called the "12.7 mm Heavy Machine Gun M2" in Japan, the "MG50" in Germany, the "L2A1" in the United Kingdom, and the "Kulspruta 88" in Sweden. In cases like that the weapon will be named after what it's home country would name it as, as such the M2HB would be referred to as "Browning Machine Gun, Caliber .50, M2, HB". At the end of it, it should also include "Fixed", "Flexible", "Turret Type ##"; but since they're shared that can't be done so this is the most accurate it can be with the exception of the Brownings on the M15A1 that are their own weapon separate from the other Brownings.

An even more egregious example of this can be found in the smoke launchers that are shared across nations making it pretty much impossible to actually name them after a specific model.

medal medal medal medal

Update on What to Expect for 0.1.1

0.1.1 will be mainly reworking Japan with assistance from @Miki_Hoshii and especially @aizenns in reviewing and redoing the ground, naval, air, and helicopter tree of Japan to be more accurate. Along with that the weapons and shells should be renamed as seen above.

medal medal medal medal

Open Beta, 0.1.1

0.1.1 brings about extensive reworks in the Japanese tree. The names across the ground forces, the helicopter forces, the air forces, and the naval forces have been corrected and streamlined. Along with that, the names and ammunition used on the vehicles in the Japanese tree have been changed to be more accurate, though none of that work has yet to be peer-viewed aside from the machine guns in the ground forces. With the addition of the changed weaponry the mod now consists of two files, the units.csv file and the units_weaponry.csv file. The War Thunder Live post and download for it can be found here.

Changelog:

• The names of the Japanese ground forces have been redone along with two primary formats being implemented. For the interwar and wartime tanks a format of "[Type] [Class], [Short Name]" has been implemented with a few exceptions such as the Ta-Se or the No. 6 Heavy Tank. The second format is for the postwar tanks and follows "[Type] [Class] [Nickname*], [Short Name]" (*only if applicable) but again with the exceptions of the STA/B and the lend-lease tanks. Other more minor differences is that the class of the M41A1 has been corrected from "76-mm Gun Tank" to "Light Tank" as the Japanese never categorized them as such, the "prototype" designations have been switched out for "experimental", the "main battle tank" designations have been switched out for simply "tank", and the nickname of the Type 87 has been corrected from "Sky Shooter" to "Guntank". In the list below there will be a more detailed list of changes:
  • The name of the sole helicopter, the AH-1S has been edited. Like the aircraft designations it has had its company designation removed, but the name of its unit has also been added along with the complete name of its model. In the list below there will be a more detailed list of changes:
  • The names of the Japanese air forces have been completely redone. After extensive rework on them, mostly due to @aizenns's efforts, they have been remade along five formats and with several rules. Company designations were removed as they weren't used, class designations have been corrected and streamlined, "Army" and "Navy" designations have been removed, and the nicknames have been moved to be at the end of the name. The five formats can be divided like so: early navy designations (only applying to the A5M4), mid navy designations, late navy designations, army designations, and postwar designations. The first two navy designations followed the long-name format and include both the short and long name; the early and mid designations followed these two respectively: "[Short Designation], [Type] [Mark] [Model] [Class]" and "[Short Designation], [Type] [Model] [Armament*] [Class] [Nickname*]" (*if applicable). After that, the late designation or post-1943 designation, which applies to the A6M5 series and other post-1943 planes, follows this form: "[Short Designation] [Name*] [Model] [Armament] [Class] [Nickname**]" (*doesn't apply to A6M5s, **only applies to A6M5s). The army designation is more similar to the mid navy designation and features both the short name and long name in this pattern, with armament meaning Ko/Otsu/etc., "[Short Designation] [Kai*], [Type] [Model] [Armament] [Class] [Nickname*]" (*if applicable). The postwar designation is more simple and follows [Model] [Class] [Nickname*] (*if applicable). Other small changes includes the renaming of the A6M series from 'Reisen' to the more often-used 'Zero-sen', the correction of the J8M1/Ki-200 to simply the Ki-200 along with the Kikka being reverted back from the Kitsuka, the correction of the designation of the army's experimental twin-engined and single-engined fighters, the complete remodeling of the R2Y2 names to be more accurate, and the correction of the Ki-45 series to being renamed to the Ki-45 Kai. In the list below there will be a more detailed list of changes:
  • The navy has been redone to delete redundancies in the name, along with removing the design numbers from all of the vessels and correcting some names. The destroyers and cruisers now follow this format, "[Class] [Group*] [Type*] [Designation], [Ship] [Year]", while the torpedo boats generally follow this, "[Class], [Subclass] [Year]". There are numerous other variations and unique formats but I won't spend my time going over them, the only other one to note is that the postwar vessels, the No. 15, No. 2, and Chikugo, also get a ship number following the ship name. Other small changes is that the Chikugo-class has been renamed from the Tokachi to the Chikugo, the "prototype" designations have been changed to "experimental", and the Soukou-Tei and Kuchiku-Tei have been simplified to just those class designations rather than "Armoured Boat" and "Submarine Chaser", respectively. In the list below there will be a more detailed list of changes:
  • The names of the Japanese weapons and shells have been changed. None of it has been peer-reviewed yet aside from the ground machine guns, as such changes can be expected in the future and it is still very much a WiP. Of these changes a few are notable: the L7A3 of the Type 74 series has been changed to a JSW L7A1 as there is no evidence it used the L7A3, the Type 79 missiles have been redesignated combined Anti-Ship/Anti-Tank missiles with an anti-tank warhead, and the Type 90's smoke grenade dischargers stand to be the only one with the official designation. In the list below there will be a more detailed list of changes:

Full Changelog (Blogger)

medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

1.95 Update

I am working as quickly as I can to get an updated version of the mod out with the names of the new vehicles, it should be released by today (17/12/2019).

Edit: It's taking longer than I thought since I actually have more missing weaponry and ammunition code than the number of new vehicles.

medal medal medal medal

Open Beta, 0.1.2

While 0.1.2 was intended to be the update that would refine the German tree, the introduction of 0.95 and the Swedish air force warrants a number of its own. Changes from the earlier version mainly reside in having the names updated for the Swedish vehicles and the other new vehicles introduced in 1.95. There are numerous other small changes, including a few more refinements in the Japanese department, but it is mainly focused on Sweden. Another big change, but one that can't really be noticed and one that also made updating the mod for 0.95 a humongous hassle is that a lot of the ship weapons have had their code change which required that new code to be copy-pasted into the mod file. Legends names are still there in the case they are needed while the changed weapon names have been moved to their new code as needed. The War Thunder Live post and download for it can be found here.

Changelog

• A minor bug fix in ground forces include the So-Ki having its name corrected back from So-Se. Official Hepburn has replaced the unofficial Hepburn as needed, and the Type 61 has been corrected from "Type 61 Tank, 61TK" to "Type 61 Tank (C), 61TK". The names for the ground vehicles that were added in 1.95 have also been changed.
  • The names of the upcoming Apaches have been changed.
  • The names of the Swedish planes and other added aircraft added in 1.95 have been changed. The "Hayabusa", "Shoki", "Hien", and "Hayate" nicknames of the Ki-43, Ki-44, Ki-61, and Ki-84 respectively have been added to their mid-range and far-range names. Additionally, the Yak-3T's missing close-range/shop name has been added in.
  • A few bug fixes have been done for the British and the Japanese in the fleets. For the Japanese, the name of the 'Sakigake' has been moved to the end of the name". For the Chikugo and newly-added Isuzu, JDS (Japanese Defense Ship) prefixes have been added. For the British the class of the HMS Churchill has been changed from the Clemson-class to the Town-class. The newly added ships have also had their names changed.
  • The code for the new weaponry and ammunition has been added in but the names have only been changed for Japan thus far.

Full Changelog (Blogger)

medal medal medal medal

Update, 23/12/2019

I'm sorry for my inactivity but my new job hasn't been leaving me with much time to do anything, and I haven't been able to open WT since the 19th because of that. Work will be continually heavy going into my Spring semester of college, and to my assigned days of the 2nd I have little time I will be able to do anything. Additionally, I haven't gotten many people that have been willing to review my work in the German tree or any tree in general; probably for the same reason I'm being inactive.

I don't know when I will start getting more time, but the job takes me away from my home and as such my home PC with the mod files for extended periods of time.

medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

Update, 2/1/2020

I hope everyone had a happy New Years, I am left again with a heavy workload for most of the coming week. While I will be able to get back on WT on the 6th, I'n pretty much being worked constantly between today and then meaning I won't have time to make any corrections. Additionally, I haven't gotten any new critiques on my choices for Germany meaning work on reviewing that have basically grinded to a halt. What I have done is further refined the Japanese names, the major changes being the removal of all the "Experimental" parts to the ##-Shi designations (i.e. "G5N1, Experimental 13-Shi Land-based Attacker 'Shinzan'" is now "G5N1, 13-Shi Land-based Attacker 'Shinzan'") and the modifying of the two Ho-Ri's to be more in line with their official names; mostly for the Production.

• Experimental New Gun Tank Ko, Ho-Ri I Model 1
    • Was at first named just "Ho-Ri I" in my first draft; Prototype.
  • Experimental New Gun Tank Ko, Ho-Ri I Model 1 Kai
    • Was at first named just "Ho-Ri I Otsu" in my first draft; Production.
      • Model 2 is reserved for the flat-front Ho-Ri I.

I hope to get more of my nations critiqued soon, with Germany taking so long I am considering opening up critiques to Italy and especially France which I consider to be the two nations I probably butchered the names the most in.

Again, I hope everyone had a happy New Years.

medal medal medal medal

Open Beta, 0.1.25

0.1.25 is an interim update as I continue work on reviewing the German trees. However, there are a lot of major changes in this update despite its interim status. Japan has been further refined, but of larger focus is refinements in the German and French ground trees which have had their names improved, standardized, and redundant English designations removed. Download.

Changelog:

• The ground tree has been updated for France and has seen major refinements in it. The two biggest refinements done is the removal of the English designations and the capitalization of the names, as where before there were "char" and "Char" mixed together they are all now "Char". Minor changes is in the introduction if diacritic marks as needed, the renaming of the AMX-30R, and introducing "(Prototype)" designations for those vehicles that were prototypes.
  • The ground tree for Germany has also been updated more or less as majorly as France had been. Like France, a major change is the removal of the English designations that not only removed redundancies but also made some of the names, needlessly long before, shorter. Other changes were more minor, but includes the introduction of diacritic marks, like France, and making the names more accurate to real life by having the captured designations (i.e. (t), (r), etc) being spaced away from the full designation.
  • Japan has been further refined in both the ground tree and the air tree. Two major changes can be seen: in the ground tree the short designations, i.e. 90TK for the Type 90, have been removed, and in the air tree the "Experimental" have been removed from the ##-Shi designations. Other small, but notable changes, is the finalization of the Ho-Ri names and the introduction of a full name for the Kikka since, as it is presented in the game, it's a paper aircraft.
  • There are minor improvements in the Chinese, Swedish, and British ground trees. In the Chinese, the post-1980s designations have been added in for the Type 59D1 and Type 96. For Sweden, the full name of the SAV has been added in along with the English designations being removed. That extended to the British tree, the Strv 81 following suit, and a small correction being done to the Centurion Mark 5.
  • The names of all the groups have been changed to follow suite with the rest of the mod. They tend to follow a format where the base model is stated and then the sub-models in the tree follow it, before ending with the name. I tried to make it fit into the tree, so some of them have abbreviated names to fit in while one, the Griffon Spitfires, had to not follow suite with the other names since even with the abbreviations it would have been too long.

Full Changelog (Blogger)

medal medal medal medal

Discord Server

In order to improve communication between me and you, make bug reports and corrections easier to get to me and faster to fix, I've made a Discord server for the mod. Feel free to join it even if you don't use the mod, if you're just curious. https://discord.gg/HapztJK

medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

Open Beta, 0.1.3

Sorry for how long it took me to get an updated version out, but for those that were looking forward to it thank you for being patient. This update focuses on a bit of everything, partly of why it took so long, and while this was going to be 0.1.26 the number of changes I did necessitated a higher number in my opinion. In short I focused on two nations in this update with two more on the sideline and then other changes scattered about. The two main ones were Germany and America who have both had their ammunition and gun names changed, along with their naval names being changed to mirror the structure I did with Japan. The air trees of Germany, Britain, and Sweden have been revised, Sweden and Britain more-so, and the mid-range designations have been changed for the United States ground vehicles. Download.

Changelog:

• The Swedish air tree have had their English designations removed and the actual Swedish designations being extended to their full name and not just being abbreviations, i.e. "J ##" turns into "Jakt ##" meaning a fighter plane. These changes were made due to a report on the Discord server.
  • The British have had their designations similarly revised to eliminate errors in grammar and spelling (i.e. FGR.2 which had "McDonnell spelled as "McDonnel"), and changing their designations to be more official though they will see more tweaking in the near future. Another minor change is that the name of the Strv 81 has been made identical to the Swedish tanks, eliminating the English designation and simply being "Stridsvagn 81".
  • The American tanks have been updated with their names included in their mid-range designations, this should make them easier to identify rather than just by their basic model numbers. An example is the M2 series, which have been changed to "M2 Medium", "M2A4 Light", and "M2A2 Light 'Mae West'".
  • The ammunition names have been updated for all of the trees in the United States and Germany. This includes aircraft ordnance.
    • The American names usually follow the format that I have found to be the most official, that being, for a made-up example, "Shell, High-Explosive, 105 mm, M394". They will be tweaked in the future to be more accurate once I find out what their more accurate names are, but for right now I believe I've found ones that work. There are oddballs, such as for the ammunition used by the M26E1 that I can't find the names of.
    • The German names have basically been extended from the more basic names, but I'm considering removing the English designation parts of them since their German name already says what they are. The issue is that it is, really, just more informative than aesthetics. What I mean by this is that no one really looks at the same of ammunition just because. The only time you look at them is when switching ammunition and to see what they are. I feel that if they lack the English designation then some people will be unable to identify what it is, but there is the abbreviation below it. I've also gone back on this already with my American ammunition designations, so in 0.1.4 they might be removed to be more in-line with the whole German naming structure of lacking English designations except in the case of the aircraft.
    • Both German and American ground names, for the most part, follow a basic structure. In the case of American names it usually starts with the caliber of the gun, followed by what it is which is usually just "Gun", and then the model. An example being the 37 mm (caliber) Gun (type) M5 (model). The only exception to this trend I have managed to find is the M68 and M68A1 which, against the standard of "Gun" being used instead of "Cannon", it is "Cannon, 105 mm, M68", which is in-line with the late Cold War nomenclature of the M1 Abrams and the tanks it is mounted on, the M60. In the case of German names they have the caliber of the gun first, followed by the model, and finished by the type. Usually the length is also included between the model and type, but that is not always the case. In the case of aircraft, Germany still follows the same basic structure while the United States does in cases for the larger guns, though follows a format more akin to the M68 when it comes to machine guns
    • The naval naming conventions for both countries mainly come from NavyWeps, which isn't the best source considering some of the errors I find on there but it was the best I could find. In this regard both Germany and America follow a similar format, with the guns having their caliber followed immediately by their length (i.e. 76 mm/50 or 3 inch/50), then by their model. In American designations the type follows the model, while in German designations it followed before though in both cases an English designation is included. as I said with the German ammunition, I might remove the English designation not only from the naval guns but also the aircraft and ground guns if I extend out their German designations like I did with the Swedish aircraft.
  • The Japanese ammunition have been changed to simply include their caliber rather than both their caliber and length.
  • Along with a few fixes in the ground vehicles, the German air force has had the space readded in between the model and variant (i.e. "Fw 190A-5" is now "Fw 190 A-5" again).
  • Both the American and German navy now follows the same format as Japan, as in they only have their designation said once instead of twice or thrice, along with their mid-range designations following the same format as Japan in "[Class], [Prefix*] [Ship] [Hull #*]" (*only applicable to the US).
  • Other small changes include the Sherman (SA 50) being reverted back from the M-50 to the SA 50 again, after I've been provided a picture showing it's the French prototype, and the name of the J6K1 being changed from Jinpu to Jimpu.
  • Missing code has been added in for the ammunition statcards, mainly concerning the guidance, along with the code added in for the new SP round used in American ships.

Full Changelog (Blogger)

medal medal medal medal

Open Beta, 0.1.35

0.1.35 is a quickfix update to add missing code for the World War Season Two event, namely the BA-11 and USS Phelps. Along with that, a few changes had been done to the other trees but mostly to the Italian tree which is still a work-in-progress. Download.

Changelog:

• Missing code has been added for two vehicles and two AI units.
  • The Italian ground tree, for the most part, has had their English designations removed where possible. Some still have them since, as far as I can find, their designation isn't in their name (i.e. the R3s) and others I just can't figure out what the abbreviation means just yet. There were also some corrections done to the names. In their mid-range names the abbreviation and model/year have also been separated, i.e. "M11/39" is now "M 11/39".
  • The Swedish, British, French, Japanese, and German trees have also had some changes such as the Type 74 being renamed to the Type 74 (C) since the model represents it, even though it has incorrect ammunition, and the German word for gunboat being added in its place in the K2's name.

Full Changelog (Blogger)

medal medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...

Open Beta, 0.1.4

IMPORTANT>>> I've noticed that an additional step is needed in installing new versions of the mod. This is deleting the lang folder and then restarting War Thunder in order to generate it again. The reason for this is that I do not update the other files aside from the units.csv and units_weaponry.csv. This means that the other files, such as for the UI and decals, remains outdated unless you regenerate the lang folder with the updated files. <<<IMPORTANT

0.1.4 introduces another part of the project that I announced in its conception. This is the renaming of the AI units found in air battles and in missions which includes ships, artillery, triple-a, tanks, and transport aircraft among other things. While I originally attempted to have the AI ship names have actual ship names, i.e. the "Akagi" is named the "Akagi", however the issue with that is that there are multiple of them in the battles. Due to that they can only have the class names, and if they were a unique vessel not apart of a class, like the Akagi, then the class was just named after them. Another big change is in the Italian tree. With a lot of input from the Italian community I revised the Italian ground and air trees. Along with that, I have also changed the name of the Italian weaponry, ammunition, and ordnance. I'm not sure if I have gotten those names just right yet so it's likely that there will be more revision in the future. The last two major changes are in the American and the German trees. Company names were removed from the German planes along with having unique designations like "Zerstörer", replacing any "Heavy Fighter", "Bomber Destroyer", and "Jabo-Rei" being added. The changes to the Americans were not actually to the trees themselves, aside from the M22. Instead I have completely revised the name of the ammunition and ordnance, the former in accordance to "Catalogue of Standard Ordnance Items, Second Edition, 1944", for interwar and wartime ammunition, and in accordance to TM 43-0001-28 for Cold War and modern ammunition. In the case of ordnance I only edited the bombs to where they all follow the format of "Bomb, [Weight], [Type], [Model], [Extra]". Download.

Changelog:

• I haven't found any evidence an "Airborne" was ever attached to the designation of the M22 'Locust' so I removed that from the name, and I removed the company designation from the premium Bf 109 in accordance to the changes I made to the German tree.
  • The names of the American ground ammunition have been revised. Interwar and wartime ammunition follows the format of, for the most part, "[Ammo Type], [Fixed*], [Shell Type], [Model], [Tracer*], [SD*], [Fuze*], [Fuze Type*], [Fuze model*], [Caliber/Gun], [Guns*]" (*are not always present). Ammunition type are either one of the four: projectile, shell, shot, or cartridge. Projectile are ammunition with a cap and are composed of the armor-piercing capped ammunition. Shells are the filler ammunition which include high-explosive and smoke. Shots are the solid projectiles and are composed of the armor-piercings and the HVAPs. Cartridges, for the most part, seem to be ammunition under the caliber of 40 mm and/or are fed in clips. The only exception I have found to that rule are the M70 and M86. Fixed means the ammunition is one piece, if the ammunition isn't one piece then that isn't included. Shell type is the type of shell, ranging from smoke to armor-piercing. Model is the model, such as M51, while the stuff after that are included only if they have them. However, they all have a gun caliber listed in them and, usually, the guns included in that caliber. There are numerous other variations aside from that format I have listed, such as the 40 mm ammunition. For Cold War and modern ammunition they follow another format. This one is "Cartridge, [Caliber], [Type]. [SD*]. [Model], [Fuze*], [Fuze Type*], [Fuze Model*]" (*are not always present). In this case all ammunition is referred to as "Cartridge", from the 20 mm to the 155 mm. The caliber is the caliber of the ammunition, and the type is what the shell is, i.e., "High-Explosive Anti-Tank Tracer". Self-destruction and the fuzes are only included if they have them. The model is simply the model of ammunition, i.e., "M735". I tried my best to look for what these ammunition were actually called to get the most accurate representation but for some I couldn't find them, and I can't find any of the names for the experimental (i.e. T-) ammunition. In those two cases I just constructed them base off of the two formats I just mentioned.
  • The American ordnance has been redone along the following format: "Bomb, [Weight], [Type], [Model], with [Fin/Cone*], [#*]" (*are not always present). They all have "bomb" at the starting and then are followed by the weight, i.e. "500 lb", and then the type. For all of them are type are just "General Purpose", or "GP" for short. Following that is the model, the name of the bomb, i.e. "AN-M30A1". The last part only applies to the M117 and the M65A1.
  • The German air tree has been revised to have all company designations removed from the aircraft. For example, whereas the "He 51" was "Heinkel He 51" before, it's now just "He 51". This was done since the company abbreviation is already present, the company name is just restating what is already there. Also, the designations have been revised. "Heavy Fighter" designations have been removed and replaced by "Zerstörer" and "Bomber Destroyer" as needed. "Strategic Bomber" names have also been removed, now they're just "Heavy Bombers". A smaller change is the addition of Umlaute where needed, and adding the "Kanonenvogel' nickname to the G-1 and G-2. The Italian planes have been renamed in accordance with the changes done to the Italian aircraft.
  • British ammunition shared in the German tree have been renamed.
  • American ordnance shared in the German tree have been renamed.
  • German aircraft shared in the Soviet tree have been renamed in accordance to the new German names
  • The 6-pounder and 17-pounder ammunition have been renamed to have "##-pounder" in their name rather than the caliber in millimeters.
  • Numerous small changes have been made to the Japanese tree. Like in the cases of the others, company designations have been removed from the German planes along with Umlaute added where it's needed. The P1Y1 has had its name moved to between the type designation and model designation, rather than being at the end since it's an official part of the name. The I-Go Ko's far-range name has been changed from "Light tank" to "Medium tank" since that is what is was classified as by 1932. (Mod. 01) has been removed from the premium T-14/No. 538-class, in place of that the tech tree and premium have had their guns added as part of their names. The Soukou-Tei have also been edited after clarification that there was no official name for the variants, and they have had their "River Armored Boat" changed to simply "Armored Boat".
  • American ammunition in the Japanese tree have been renamed to follow the correct format.
  • American ordnance shared in the Japanese tree have been renamed.
  • All foreign vehicles in the Chinese tree have received the Chinese star. Along with that, any "Obr." have been replaced by "mod.", and two inconsistencies were fixed. The No. 215 has been changed from a mod. 1944 to a mod. 1945, as it should be, and the mid-range designation of the T-34-85 Gai has been changed to T-34-85 Gai since the machine gun should make it identifiable from that range.
  • Both the Italian air and ground tree have been revised. In the case of the ground tree there is a clear format I had followed that I gained from a discussion in the Italian Forum. There are roughly three formats for the interwar/wartime section of the Italian tanks and they each follow this. In the case of the armoured cars, it's simply "Autoblinda [Model]", the model being the year of introduction. The tanks get more complicated, following, "Carro Armato [Class] [Weight] [Model] [Series*]" (*only applies to M 13/40). "Carro Armato" simply stands for armoured vehicle, while whatever following that is what type of tank it is being either "Leggero", for light, "Medio", for medium, or "Pesante", for heavy. The weight and model, again meaning year of introduction, come from the ##/## part of the abbreviated name. Series is something that only applies to the M 13/40, for the moment. There are extra thngs, such as the "Contracarro" in the L 3/35 CC, and some follow a special format like the SPAAGs. The last format are the self-propelled guns that follow "Semovente da [Gun] [Class] [Model]". The only exception to this one is the Breda 501. "Semovente da" stands for self-propelled, while the part following that is suppose to complete it as "self-propelled gun". As an example, the "Semovente da 90/53" would mean "self-propelled 90/53 gun". Following those are the chassis that the vehicle was based off of, excluding the weight and only including the class and year of introduction (i.e. Medio modello 1940). A smaller change is that a space is now between the class letter and the weight/year in the abbreviation, as where it as "M13/40" before it is now "M 13/40". The Cold War and modern vehicles don't really follow a format, those I got from the prior-mentioned discussion. Moving onto the aircraft, their names have become much more cleaner. Messy designations, such as "High-Altitude Interceptor Fighter" and "Torpedo Attack Fighter" have been cleaned up. The abbreviations for the companies have become what they should be and a space has been added between those abbreviations and the model number, i.e. "C.200" is now "M.C. 200".
  • The names of the guns have been changed, and face a similar issue as the vehicle names in that while the interwar/wartime guns follow a usual format, the Cold War and modern names become a mess that I can't generalize into any format. For the interwar/wartime they generally follow this: "[Type] da [Caliber] [Model*]". Strangely, I can't always find a model for the guns. Type would be its classification as either an autocannon (Cannone-Mitragliera), cannon (Cannone), or howitzer (Obice). They don't all follow the same format, there are numerous variations with some including company names (i.e. "Vickers-Terni" or "Scotti") and some that completely diverge from the norm (i.e. Fucile anticarro tipo S). Cold War and modern guns tend to follow a similar format, but usually include a company name like "OTO" or "OTO-Melara" in the front of them.
  • The names of the ammunition for the Italian ground forces haven't been changed as much as they have just been extended. This was done mostly since I lacked any sources to tell if any of the names are incorrect, or if they were missing something. As such I took a bit of creative liberty with these until I can find a source. Generally, the format for the interwar/wartime ammunition is "[Type] [Model*] da [Caliber]" (*not always present). The type is if it is high-explosive (Granata), armor-piercing (Perforante), armor-piercing with filler (Granata Perforante), smoke (Granata Fumogena), or high-explosive anti-tank (Effetto Pronto or Effetto Pronto Speciale). Following that is the model, the year of introduction, though that isn't always present. The caliber is what gun it is used with, either just being a general caliber (i.e. 47 for 47 mm) or being a specific gun (i.e. 75/46 for "Cannone da 75/46 modello 1940"). The majority of its modern ammunition is foreign and use English designations with the exception of the 90 mm ammunition, which have the caliber written in the Italian year of C/L (C for caliber, L for length).
  • The name of the Italian helicopter weaponry and ordnance have been changed. The majority of it had already been changed, all that needed to be done was changing the name of the M3M to be the same format as the M3P since they're the same guns, in the sense that they're pretty much identical except for the fire control systems.
  • The names of the Italian aircraft armaments have been changed to their full names. Of specific note is the 102/35, of which I can tell was never fitted on the P. 108A. While it's also possible that it isn't an enlarged 90/53 to 102/46 that I'm thinking of, it's the only other possibility I could find.
  • The names of the Italian ordnance have been changed to follow their official formats. Of specific note are the actual Italian bombs, the interwar/wartime ones, which follow an easy format of "[Model] [Type]". I removed the weight part from them since their weight is already stated in their model name, i.e. GP 50 is 50 kilograms, GP 100 is 100 kilograms, GP 250 is 250 kilograms, and so on. 
  • The names of the seaborne AI units have been changed. While some of the carriers have their ship names included since they won't appear as copies in a battle, most of them don't have their ship names so you won't see five Yamato's in one place. Instead, they simply have the name of their class of ship.
  • A few AI planes have been changed.
  • The names of the AI ground units have been changed to their full names, from the artillery and AAA to tanks and self-propelled guns.

Full Changelog (Blogger)

medal medal medal medal

• 2 months later...

Open Beta, 0.1.5

0.1.5 focuses on adding in missing code from the 1.97 update and the "Space Race" event, and also includes the WIP Russian/Soviet weaponry renaming. Download.

Changelog:

• The code for the Swedish ground and aerial vehicles have been added and they have been renamed to the best of my knowledge. Most of them didn't require renaming in the case of their stat cards as it was already complete. Their respective ammunition, ordnance, and weaponry have also had their codes added in but have had no changes done to them.
  • The new French vehicles have had their code added and renamed.
  • The new Italian vehicles and armaments have had their code added and renamed.
  • The new Chinese vehicles have had their code added and renamed. Along with that, two fixes were made with the M60A3 TTS receiving the Chinese star and the PT-76 being renamed to the correct 1951 model which lacks the stabilizer found in the later PT-76B model.
  • With assistance from @aizenns, the Japanese naval armaments and ordnance have been renamed. Examples of changes include, not are not limited to, anti-aircraft guns being renamed to "high-angle guns", a usual format of "[Caliber] [Year] Type [Bore] [Type]", and the Type 95 depth charges being separated into either "Rack" or "Y-Thrower" types.
  • The T-51b (No. 11-class) has been renamed to the T-51a (No. 10-class) due to being much more similar to that, and the code for the Mikuma and Ikazuchi has been added.
  • Missing group code has been added in for Japan, along with the STA-1/2 group name being fixed, the JM61 designation being corrected, and the code for the F-4EJ being added.
  • Missing code for British vehicles, weaponry, ammunition, and ordnance has been added.
  • Missing code for the Object 279 and the T-72B has been added. The T-44-122, being two of the three prototypes alongside the T-44-100, has received the addition of "(No. 2/3)" signifying the name of the two prototypes.
  • The Soviet ground weaponry has been renamed, though this is still a work-in-progress.
  • Missing code has been added in for the new Russian and Soviet naval and aerial vehicles, ammunition, and weaponry. It has also been added in for the aerial groups.
  • Missing code has been added in for the German vehicles, weaponry, ammunition, and ordnance.
  • Missing code has been added in for the American vehicles, weaponry, ammunition, and ordnance.

Full Changelog (Blogger)

medal medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...

Open Beta, 0.1.6

0.1.6, along with adding the missing code that came with 1.99, also has several revisions across the trees. There are three main ones: the naval arms of the United States, of the Soviet Union, and of Germany; the ammunition, armaments, and ordnance of the German Reich; and the replacement of apostrophes with quotation marks. To match the likeness of Japan the other nations have been given a similar format and any copy-cat lines (i.e. "###-class Destroyer, ### Destroyer") have been removed. In the Soviet tree, the NATO designations have been removed leaving the classes as Project designations. In the German tree, cruiser designations have been divided into light cruisers, heavy cruisers, and panzerschiffe, along with the letter names being separated (i.e. "Z32" now "Z 32"). In the German tree the German Reich era (1930-1945) weaponry, ammunition, and ordnance, has been changed to remove any English and instead has been replaced by the extended names of the weapons (i.e "MG 34 Machine Gun" now "Maschinengewehr 34"), along with the names of the torpedoes being made more accurate. The most time-consuming part of this update was replacing the apostrophes with quotation marks which has extended the vehicles by a bit, but I think it makes their nicknames look a bit nicer. As I did that I fixed minor issues throughout the trees: removing any mentions of "Jet [thing]" aside from Japan, which uses it in official documentation, and China; though any mention of "twin-engine" or etc has been removed aside from the American twin-engine fighters (i.e. P-38 series). Nicknames have been added to the mid and long-range names where they were lacking, which happened to be lacking for all of the American aircraft. Download.

Changelog:

• The American ground forces has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks and have had minor corrections throughout the tree, the most of which being the change of the M1's long designation to match the M60's (Tank, Combat, Full-Tracked, 120-mm Gun).
  • The missing code for the HSTV(L)'s ammunition and gun has been added and changed.
  • The American air forces have had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks and has had minor corrections made throughout the tree. Internal company designations have been removed and all mention of "twin-engine", etc, along with the mention of jet, have been removed. Designations have been corrected along the abbreviated designations, pushing aircraft into one of these: "Fighter", "Carrier-based Fighter", "Twin-Engine Fighter", "Twin-Engine Carrier-based Fighter" (only XF5F), "Attacker", "Twin-Engine Attacker", "Observation Scout" (only OS2Us), "Carrier-based Scout Bomber", "Carrier-based Torpedo Bomber", "Patrol Aircraft" (only PV-2D), "Patrol Bomber", "Medium Bomber", "Heavy Bomber", and "Tactical Bomber" (only B-57s).
  • The American naval forces have had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks and has had minor corrections made throughout the tree. Their torpedo boats have been restructured along ## foot-classes instead of PT-### classes and years have been added to all of their ships and boats.
  • The new code for the Mark 12 has been added in and several weapons have been changed as a effect of the Japanese naval weaponry being changed.
  • The German ground forces have had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks.
  • The German ground weaponry has had their English parts removed and their German abbreviations extended to their full. Missing code for the XM150E5 has been added.
  • The German ground ammunition has been changed to not have any English parts to it and minor corrections have been made.
  • The German air forces has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks along with minor corrections. All mention of "jet" have been removed.
  • The German aerial armaments have had their English pats removed and the German parts extended to their full.
  • The German aerial ordnance has been changed to replace any apostrophes with quotation marks. Along with that, English parts have been removed and the German abbreviations have been extended to their full.
  • The German naval tree has had apostrophes replaced by quotation marks among other minor corrections. The cruisers have been separated into "light cruisers", "heavy cruisers", and "Panzerschiffe" (Deutschland-class only) along with the letter names being separated from their numbers (i.e. "Z 32").
  • The German naval armaments have had apostrophes replaced by quotation marks and have had their English parts removed and German parts extended to their full.
  • The German naval ammunition have had their English parts removed.
  • The Soviet ground tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks among other minor corrections.
  • Missing code for Soviet weaponry and ammunition has been added.
  • The Soviet aerial tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks and any mention of "jet" removed.
  • Missing Soviet aerial weaponry and ordnance has been added.
  • The Soviet naval tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks among other minor corrections. The NATO names have been removed and in place are the Project names, and "Submarine Chaser" has been replaced by "Guard Ship".
  • The British ground tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks among other minor corrections.
  • The British aerial tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks among other minor corrections.
  • The British naval tree has had copy-cat wordes removed from their names and their year added to them. 
  • Some British naval armaments have been changed as a consequence from the changes done to the Japanese ones.
  • The Japanese ground tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks and the new code added in.
  • The Japanese ground armaments has had minor corrections, along with the new code being added.
  • Missing Japanese ground ammunition has been added.
  • The Japanese aerial tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks among other minor corrections.
  • Missing Japanese aerial weaponry has been added.
  • The Japanese naval tree has been refined with design numbers removed, except for the Shounan, along with budgetary names, and other minor corrections.
  • The Japanese naval armaments have been updated with Japanese designations where possible and in other cases, updated with more accurate names to their home nation.
  • The Chinese ground tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks among other minor corrections.
  • The Chinese aerial tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks among other minor corrections.
  • The Italian ground tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks among other minor corrections.
  • Missing Italian ground ammunition has been added.
  • The Italian aerial tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks among other minor corrections.
  • The Italian naval tree has been added and updated with full names, in Italian, along the same format as each other.
  • The French ground tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks among other minor corrections.
  • The French aerial tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks among other minor corrections.
  • The missing Swedish ground vehicles have been added.
  • The Swedish aerial tree has had their apostrophes replaced by quotation marks among other minor corrections.

Full Changelog (Blogger)

medal medal medal medal