Do you want to see this plane it the game?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see this plane it the game?

• Yes!
    • No! (please explain why)

Hungarian RMI-1 X/H heavy fighter and ground-attack aircraft

Kapcsolódó kép

History

Designed by Hungarian engineer László Varga who worked at the Repülő Műszaki Intézet ("Aviation Technical Institute" or RMI). Works started in 1940, originally designed with the Jedrassik CS-1 turboprop, it was the world's first aircraft which was designed with a turboprop. However in 1942 the turboprop project was halted and stopped in 1943 due to other urgent wartime works. Because of this the RMI-1 project was halted for a short time then the engineers modified the plans for the DB-605 engine which was already manufactured due to a German-Hungarian contract. Because the new engines were heavier than the turboprop ,30kg extra weight needed to be installed to the tail.

The project moved on slowly because Hungary started to manufacture the Messerschmitt Me 210 Ca-1 and the Hungarian government prefered the German aircraft because the RMI-1 was still a prototype project.

However even with the DB-605 engines the RMI-1 had better specifications than the Me 210. This and the fact that the Me 210 was not that good of an aircraft gave a push to the RMI-1 project.

The prototype aircraft was fully finished in 1943, rolling tests were held in autumn.

However during the rolling tests the landing gear of the RMI-1 damaged - a spring stucked - and repairs were needed.

The damages were still repaired in 1944 when the aircraft was destroyed in an American air raid in summer.

Specifics 

The armament:

Offensive:  4x20mm cannons , 1x8mm machine gun 

Deffensive: 2x13mm machine guns in remotely operated turrets.

(The 8mm and 13mm guns were the rear armament)

Crew  3 men ( one pilot, one gunner and one bombardier)

Bomb load: 300kg  (in the internal bomb-bay located under the pilot)

rajz3D.jpg

Wing span: 14 m

Length: 10,4 m

Height: 3,9 m

Weight: 3834 kg

Takeoff Weight: 5500 kg

Max.speed: 550 km/h

Range: 3000 km

Practical ceiling: 10000 m

Engine: 2 x Cs-1 gas-turbine (1000 hp), later 2 x DB-605 (1450 hp)

Manufacturer: RMI (Repülő Műszaki Intézet) Székesfehérvár-Sóstó factory.

Jedrassik CS-1 turboprop 

Spoiler

The Jendrassik Cs-1 was the world's first working turboprop engine.

It was designed by Hungarian engineer György Jendrassik in 1937.

Of axial-flow design with 15-stage compressor and 10-stage turbine, it incorporated many modern features, these included a rigid compressor-turbine rotor assembly carried on front and rear bearings.

There was a single annular combustion chamber, of reverse-flow configuration to shorten the engine, air cooling of the turbine discs and turbine blades with extended roots to reduce heat transfer to the disc.

The predicted output was 1000hp at 13.500 rpm 

During the tests the engine had 305hp axis performance at 7% efficiency .

For More Information about the Engine you can find in the original post , made by Hebime https://live.warthunder.com/post/547624/en/ (Yes, this post is the source of this topic)

turbina_foto.jpg

A Jendrassik-féle trurbina metszeti rajza.

The Plane

rmi1.jpg

Varga_RMI-1_landing_gear_doorsR.16113355

RMI-1 Under Construction: 

foto1.jpg

foto2.jpg

foto3.jpgvez_rs_k.jpg

The sister aircraft of the RMI-1, the RMI-2 X/G trainer

Spoiler

Designed by Hungarian engineer László Varga who worked at the Repülő Műszaki Intézet ("Aviation Technical Institute" or RMI). Development started in 1942 and it was built alongside with its sister-aircraft the RMI-1 X/H.

Originally it was planned to be a trainer for the heavy fighter RMI-1, but as the RMI-1 project proceeded slowly the RMI-2 became a test aircraft too.

The RMI-2 shared the same wing and airframe structure as the RMI-1 so it was perfect to test the flight characteristics of the design. The RMI-2 X/G had its first flight in summer, 1943, there were no complications and the aircraft flew perfectly, we do not know about anything that needed to be changed in the design.

The trainer had the same 240hp Argus As-10 C engines which were used in the Arado Ar 96A aircrafts, that was the only difference between the RMI-1 and the RMI-2 - and the armament since the trainer was unarmed.

Only one X/G trainer was built which was destroyed in an American bombing raid in summer, 1944.

tn_1135862489.jpg

tn_1135947345.jpg

tn_1135947273.jpg

The destroyed prototype 

tn_1135947430.jpg

Sources:

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww2/varga.html (RU , not so accurate)

https://balaton-modell.gportal.hu/gindex.php?pg=3083346&nid=614830 (HU)

https://live.warthunder.com/post/547772/en/ (EN)

https://live.warthunder.com/post/547624/en/  (EN)

Thanks for Hebime for  collecting informations and for the translate ! :salute:

Edited by DarthGergely
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal

24 minutes ago, ItssLuBu said:

Approved and open for discussion, please re-write some of the engine description to avoid plagiarism. :salute:

:salute: Thanks mate ! I told him that i will use his work for this suggestion (i linked his post there) , my English its not good that's why i used his topic , to avoid the mistakes.

Okay, that's unique enough to warrant supporting.  Shame about the turboprop project being cancelled, and I'm surprised to hear that it's a Hungarian invention (not in a bad way, it's just that most of what you find on early jet engine research focuses on British and German efforts, with a bit of American and Italian contributions thrown in for good measure).

Edited by Z3r0_
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

15 hours ago, Z3r0_ said:

Hungarian invention

As in Germany's case, many Hungarian inventions appeared too late and had no effect on the end of the war.

Some Examples :

44M Buzogányvető (AT rocket):

Spoiler

The Hungarian 44M "Buzogányvető" was an unguided anti-tank rocket designed by Hungary for use against Soviet armour and personnel in World War II. The rocket system consisted of a pair of solid fuel rockets with two types of warheads available. It was regarded as one of the most effective anti-tank platforms used in WWII. Production started in spring of 1944 and ended 20 December 1944 when Soviet troops captured the WM Factory

Kapcsolódó kép

44M Lidérc Air to Air rocket:

Spoiler

The 44M Lidérc (Hungarian: succubus) was an experimental air-to-air missile developed in Hungary during World War II. It had acoustic proximity igniter invented by Károly Pulváry (Technological University of Budapest). The acustic device was a highly advanced technology in 1944 and the research of necessary electronics was a quile complex project. The sensor consisted a super-sensitive microphone, and a squelch principle circuit with two electron tube amplifiers

Kapcsolódó kép

And other interesting prototypes what never was finished like the : Tas 44 , RMI series (1-10)

• Upvote 2

On 14/11/2019 at 04:42, DarthGergely said:

As in Germany's case, many Hungarian inventions appeared too late and had no effect on the end of the war.

Some Examples :

44M Buzogányvető (AT rocket):

Hide contents

The Hungarian 44M "Buzogányvető" was an unguided anti-tank rocket designed by Hungary for use against Soviet armour and personnel in World War II. The rocket system consisted of a pair of solid fuel rockets with two types of warheads available. It was regarded as one of the most effective anti-tank platforms used in WWII. Production started in spring of 1944 and ended 20 December 1944 when Soviet troops captured the WM Factory

Kapcsolódó kép

44M Lidérc Air to Air rocket:

Hide contents

The 44M Lidérc (Hungarian: succubus) was an experimental air-to-air missile developed in Hungary during World War II. It had acoustic proximity igniter invented by Károly Pulváry (Technological University of Budapest). The acustic device was a highly advanced technology in 1944 and the research of necessary electronics was a quile complex project. The sensor consisted a super-sensitive microphone, and a squelch principle circuit with two electron tube amplifiers

Kapcsolódó kép

And other interesting prototypes what never was finished like the : Tas 44 , RMI series (1-10)

I wonder if they ever had the idea of sticking these on planes.  I'd be surprised if they didn't.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 18/11/2019 at 08:06, Z3r0_ said:

I wonder if they ever had the idea of sticking these on planes.  I'd be surprised if they didn't.

they wanted to strap the 44.m Lidérc on planes(the Me 210Ca and later the Me410) but such tests never hapenned .

So the Lidérc ended up evolving into a ground to ground artilery rocket that was used in small numbers fired from Botond trucks, at the battles at Csepel. Funnly since there was thermite in the rocket the flames burnt with a green-bluish color. It used 2 modified 81mm mortar shell fuzes.

Altho the proximity fuze worked with the american bomber engine sounds, and live fire tests without the fuze were a success, to my understanding the whole air to air development stopped as the development arrived to the part where the rocket would have been tested as a whole with the proximity fuze in it.

Spoiler

After the American bombing raids on Germany the Hungarian government foresaw the fate of the country. To counter the huge American bomber formations multiple ideas were born. One of them was the Lidérc. This rocket was planned to be an air-to-air rocket - the second one in worldwide after Germany -, but was special ofit's kind. Namely the Lidérc was equipped with a proximity fuse which was a first attempt worldwide, all other missles of that time had time or impact action fuzes. It also had an impact augmenting chemical-fragment cover.

The proximity fuse was activated by the sound waves of the engines so it needed to be fired right into the middle of a bomber formation. The rocket itself was made out of two tubes to simply put it. The inner tube consisted the propellant material, while the space between the inner tube and the outer cover was filled with a mixture of thermite and barium oxide. This mixture caused an aquamarine smoke and multiple small fragments.

The rocket was 1430 mm long, 130 kg heavy and had a diameter of 295 mm. Shooting tests were carried out in summer 1944, the longest range it flew was 8000 meters. However the frontline got closer and closer and only 3 or 4 shotting tests were done.

The Lidérc was never used as an air-to-air rocket because Hungary did not had a proper aircraft which could carry it, however it was used as a ground-to-ground rocket. Around 60 or 70 null-series rockets were made and they were all used in the Siege of Budapest, Operation Konrad and Operation Spring Awakening. They were fired from special reusable launcher tubes seen in picture No.2.

https://live.warthunder.com/post/433405/en/

Edited by Jacky95
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I know this plane from another certain game.. which I happen to be playing right now and I stumbled across this suggestion :)

Spoiler

5p8IBEo.png

I'd like to see it at some point. There's something about Hungarian vehicles that I connect to. They just feel and look really interesting to me. 

Hungary doesn't have enough vehicles to qualify for an independent tree, but I hope one day they will implement the idea of a tree design similar to that of helicopters for minor nations, as a way of incorporating nations with a few vehicles into the game. If that idea happens, this will be the nation I'm most excited for. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal