Spinflight

British ground forces are appalling...

Unlocked everything up to Tier 3 and not sure I'll bother continuining. Thought I'd find something or use or worth but it seems not.

Even bought a couple of premium tanks to see if they made a difference, though they are worse if anything. Indeed I'm really struggling to see the point of them.. Slightly more SL, but very very slightly. complete waste of money.

The only vehicles in the early British tech tree which could I could describe as in any way fun or competitive are the AAA. Everything else just seems to be designed to be food for the axis or (lol) even the Chinese tanks.

Cromwell is probably the best of them though getting round the back or hitting the flanks merely results in putting 4 or 5 shots into them, then seeing their turret traverse and one shot you in return. Barely seems to matter what you are shooting at. 

Frankly I can't imagine many new British players sticking it out for as long as I did, was it always this bad?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Most people who respond will talk about RB.

You are probably best of asking for help in the AB forums. It looks like you may be struggling with understanding some mechanics based on thunderskills.

It shouldn't be taking you 4 or 5 shots to kill a tank but more 2 or 3 from the front. With the occasional 1 shot. British tanks lack APHE which has great post pen damage.  Some British tanks dont have this issue (Sherman II). 

British tanks in ab I really enjoy. 3.0 is my favourite BR. I also enjoy basically every british br from 3.3 to 5 7 in arcade. Its definatly not the best tree, but its competitve in many areas.

The only premium tanks I can see you own are the A13 1939 and A13 RTR, is this correct?

The A13 1939 really should not be rated at 1.7 its differences are insignificant to other A13s i do not actively reccomend it. 

The A13 RTR is basically no different to the other A13s. The A13s are not bad

I suggest you avoid the battle ratings of 1.7-2.7 if possible. Not because the tanks are bad but because they do not have lineups to play on said BRs.

It's best to have 3 vehicles or more that share a BR in arcade.

Some vehicles are better to move up BRs if you find yourself lacking. The crusader III and Cromwells namely. If you have to. Later the achillies is best to move up to fill in lineups.

I also am hesitant to play some vehicles unless I know I am in a downtiered match. This apples to them because they are slow, vehicles with non-great guns but decent armour. In an uptier the gun and armour lose value dramatically for these vehicles.

Matilda, Churchill M1- M7, valentine M1. I also toss the other valentines and the 3 inch gun carrier in here but am far more willing to use them in uptiers.

I do reccomend a number of british premiums to make lineups more playable and/or competitive. Below is kind of an overview for the first few tiers.

The AEC II might be a good idea to get. I find it with the Cromwell V and crusader III make the best 3.0 lineup. The churchill M1, valentine XI and Matilida I use far less and mostly in down tiers.

The Grant also in the market place may be a worth while vehicle to although many struggle using multiple guns. Its gives 3 vehicles on br 2.7 and it's probably very usable at 3.0. Therr are already so many 3.0 options so I only consider that a secondary benefit. I do not own this but do want it.

Cromwell RP-3 is actually worse than the other cromwells, the rockets blow up easily, are hard to aim and it's only got 6 smoke grenades as opposed to the 20 or 30 in others. I dont recommend for comptitvness.

The achillies available as a bundled vehicle during some sales is a copy and paste of the tech tree one I reccomend it

A.33 Excelsior is also a good tank, a Cromwell with more armour. Does help 4.0 BR but I'm not sure its needed

Sherman IC is basically a VC I recommend buying it. 

The independent at 1.3 Is OP, but I cant justify its cost, especially since most people do not play tier 1 for long. But it certainly is good for said BR. It's worth noting its armour is bad, but it survives alot due to how big it is.

Obviously I do not recommend buying vehicles unless you are certain, have test driven them and looked at others suggestions. I also suggest checking others suggestions. Do not buy vehicles expecting them to make you great. If you struggle as you do they will only help you get better they will not guarantee it, nor are they absolutely necessary.

Ask some more experienced players to look at your games and watch some more experienced british players in AB if you can. I can not give you some of my own replays ask some experienced players to watch your relays to tell you specifics. Or ask to squad with a few with voice chat available to help learn.

Stay at some low brs, I suggest 3.0 and 3.7 until you are confident to move up

Edited by SneakySausage
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I can only suggest you don't start your WT experience playing Britain in AB.

Until you reach 5.7-6.7 you will be probably suffer. Most of British vehicles poorly fitted into AB meta. They lack of armor and APHE there, most of the enemies in AB trying to not expose their hull entirely so it is extremely hard to penetrate their tanks so the shell splinters travel from UFP to engine bay killing the crew, because that's is the only option British/France can OHK the enemy. 

If you're going to play AB, start with other nation: USaa is great in AB, Germany and USSR are too, even Japan shines there because of the APHE.

Edited by erilon03
medal medal medal medal medal

Brits ARE NOT the easiest nation to play (also not the worst)...

Having said that...i had lots of fun playing them...and still do...up to 4.7 so far..

Cromwell, Churchill and Valentine (the several versions) can hold their own...not being the best in general, they can fight unless full uptiered...

Only Brit tank i would claim to be the BEST at its BR would be the 3.0 Cromwell...i recall it being quite strong at that range...

Also...Churchill when not uptiered are very hard to kill...had some fun games where i could hold a important map point vs several enemies...

THE BIG PROBLEM is the guns. They are weaker and they will NOT kill the enemy on one shot...

Conversely...they reload very fast...

The trick is learning WHERE to shot. Brit tank need to aim to SPECIFIC enemy parts...ammo and crew...repeating the same shot over and over will NOT kill the enemy and he will eventually fire back...so the second and third shot should be aimed at something more vital...

BTW...for some odd reason...i always had more success with the 76mm guns than 6pdrs...

AND...when you get 17pdr guns then you suddenly can one shot some enemies...still not as good as german/us/russian in kill power...but among the best in penetration...

Edited by *GhostSoph
  • Like 1

As a general rule I only play Brits on these games, and Arcade seemed to be the best option to get my crew skills up. Did initially plan on switching to RB etc once I had spaded vehicles and some semblance of crew competence.

Thanks for the L2P tips... Trouble is the play bit... It just isn't fun.

I've played far more BR 3.0 than anything else, though what I've seen of the 3.7 it doesn't get any better. Cromwell, Valentire and Churchill being my general lineup. Have seen the 17pdr on the Archer for instance. It isn't bad but not good enough for me to desperately rush for the Achilles. In fact I've unlocked it but not even bought it. Cromwell 1..Well I know all about the 6pdr on the Valentine. Completely spading it isn't going to make that much of a difference. One presumes the higher Churchills just mean more sitting in smoke pressing the F key due to less armour. 

And yes I have pored over xray views to get a better idea of where to shoot.. It did make a difference but not enough of one to make me think that driving an xp pinata around for the delectation of other's pleasure was worth it.

Not really seeing what advantage British tanks have in RB? Surely it is the same models and mechanics only slower? Slower in reverse too one presumes... which is eyebrow raising.. I do use a lot of smoke, even though even tanks with little firepower seem to pick out weak spots through it. So.... I may try it at some point in the future.

10 hours ago, SneakySausage said:

The A13 1939 really should not be rated at 1.7 its differences are insignificant to other A13s i do not actively reccomend it. 

The A13 RTR is basically no different to the other A13s. The A13s are not bad

I got sick of 3.0 and grinding 3.7 so dropped down to see whether it was more fun at the lower tiers. Considered buying a higher premium vehicle but couldn't see that the Tier 2 premiums were much different to what I had and were much more expensive. The idea of paying money for more of the same.... wasn't terribly appealing!

Call it a last throw of the dice, but the A13s are... Well I'm struggling to see any point to them. And glad I didn't waste more money.

13 hours ago, Spinflight said:

Unlocked everything up to Tier 3 and not sure I'll bother continuining. Thought I'd find something or use or worth but it seems not.

Even bought a couple of premium tanks to see if they made a difference, though they are worse if anything. Indeed I'm really struggling to see the point of them.. Slightly more SL, but very very slightly. complete waste of money.

The only vehicles in the early British tech tree which could I could describe as in any way fun or competitive are the AAA. Everything else just seems to be designed to be food for the axis or (lol) even the Chinese tanks.

Cromwell is probably the best of them though getting round the back or hitting the flanks merely results in putting 4 or 5 shots into them, then seeing their turret traverse and one shot you in return. Barely seems to matter what you are shooting at. 

Frankly I can't imagine many new British players sticking it out for as long as I did, was it always this bad?

The UK tanks require a bit more skill and experience to use than some others due to solid shot and generally no reverse speed. I started playing them after significant experience with US, GER, & USSR and found them to be very strong once I learned to hit weak spots and disable tanks on the first shot...still get a lot of assists, but that is just a fact of life item. Overall my results with UK have been as good or better than any other tree.

I also played them on RB, which might be a better mode for them, I don't know.

I'd recommend playing other trees as you move up...perhaps do China which will teach you US and Soviet tanks (one stop shopping).

medal medal medal

Brits have good tanks but not the best and definitely not meta. They are quite fun to play, problem is they become more and more expensive - there are good 6.7 - 7.3 lineups, but repair cost are too high.

medal medal medal

On 22/10/2019 at 16:17, MattS93 said:

The UK tanks require a bit more skill and experience to use than some others due to solid shot and generally no reverse speed. I started playing them after significant experience with US, GER, & USSR and found them to be very strong once I learned to hit weak spots and disable tanks on the first shot...still get a lot of assists, but that is just a fact of life item. Overall my results with UK have been as good or better than any other tree.

I also played them on RB, which might be a better mode for them, I don't know.

I'd recommend playing other trees as you move up...perhaps do China which will teach you US and Soviet tanks (one stop shopping).

I think Britain is a good nation to learn weakness in enemy armour and is more of the experienced player

Edited by *Hurricanefire32
  • Upvote 1

On 22/10/2019 at 16:16, Spinflight said:

I've played far more BR 3.0 than anything else, though what I've seen of the 3.7 it doesn't get any better. Cromwell, Valentire and Churchill being my general lineup. Have seen the 17pdr on the Archer for instance. It isn't bad but not good enough for me to desperately rush for the Achilles. In fact I've unlocked it but not even bought it. Cromwell 1..Well I know all about the 6pdr on the Valentine. Completely spading it isn't going to make that much of a difference. One presumes the higher Churchills just mean more sitting in smoke pressing the F key due to less armour. 

Not really seeing what advantage British tanks have in RB? Surely it is the same models and mechanics only slower? Slower in reverse too one presumes... which is eyebrow raising.. I do use a lot of smoke, even though even tanks with little firepower seem to pick out weak spots through it. So.... I may try it at some point in the future.

When you move to RB it becomes more about the skill of the player than the vehicle itself. Meaning British vehicles are arguably easier to use in RB than AB.

I would stick at 3.0 if you can, preferably RB. I've played hundreds of games at 3.3 and 3.7 and its one of my favorites BRs to play. There are no German or Russian 4.7 vehicles (apart from the Ostwind) so don't be afraid to use 3.7 vehicles in your line up. This is generally how I play these tanks:

I use the Cromwell's great speed to reach good positions first and flank the enemy. Using the neutral steering to navigate between several positions so that I'm always on the move and not a sitting duck. If one point is captured I'll flank the next nearest one instead of pushing ahead to enemy spawn. Using the minimap and its great speed to dance round the battlefield to help other teammates can really tilt the match in your favor. 

The Churchill Mk 1 is a defensive wall to capture points with, though I tend to make sure there's good support around me and never really venture alone unless its late game. When I know I'm about to be shot at I use the neutral steering to quickly angle the vehicle which massively improves survivability. The Churchill is also best used late game, when most of the key threats have been destroyed. 

The Valentine is just a support or sniper vehicle, I tend to sit back behind capture points and wait for the counter or take up a high position to snipe. Not really much to say about this one other than to always hide that vertical front plate by angling the hull. I'll use it more aggressively like the Sherman if I'm feeling confident and its a favorable BR match. 
I bring out the Archer for when the team is getting hammered. Right when the enemy is beginning to push our spawn I'll position the Archer so as to one-shot any player that's stupid enough to think they can spawn camp. Ive managed to get so many kills this way and its extremely satisfying.

• Like 1

Had a quick look into RB, at very low tiers, just to sense the difference... And mainly to spade a couple of low level vehicles for the SL rewards. No better.

Yes, it is different. Can see how it makes some difference but do wonder whether people are remembering the good old days, presumably before several nerfs. Bear in mind though that most newbies will stick to arcade initially.

Cannot understand how anyone thinks a 2pdr armed tank is viable, fun, fair or historically accurate. which is about half the tech tree. Hell it might have been reasonable in the past when people actually grinded the lower tiers but just not seeing this as a L2P thing.. Defame me as much as you like as just being crap, I'm telling you it isn't fun and is weighted against a Brit player to an unreasonable degree which will put the vast majority off.

I get the L2P stuff, and it was expected. Though I'm no newbie at such things across 35 years of gaming and my comment about very few new players sticking it out as long as I did very much stands. If playing the Brits was designed to be iron man mode then there would be compensation in some ways, but there isn't. The tree is crap. It's appalling regardless of skill.

15 hours ago, Razielkaine said:

My fav nation easily at every tier until top tier mbts

https://thunderskill.com/en/stat/Razielkaine/vehicles/a#type=army&country=country_britain&role=all

Your results in tier 1 and 2 seem to be indifferent to very poor with 2pdr armed vehicles in the last month. And deeply indifferent with the rest except the AAA which I've singled out as being worthy. I work it out as a 38% win rate...

Despite 16000+ battles, no doubt maxed crews and spaded vehicles.

Tell us newbies again oh god like creature how easy it is to play lower tier Brits! Hilarious....

On which note I propose a challenge to the War Thunder gods of mouse exactness and game knowledge.

Simply play lower tier Brits with 2pdr armed tanks and achieve a win rate over 20 games of 62% OR a frags per death of over 2 and I'll buy you a pint. 62% is merely rated as a good player on Thunder skills so I'm sure a lot of you won't struggle.

And then feel free to tell us newbies how good the lower tier Brits are.

40 minutes ago, Spinflight said:

Had a quick look into RB, at very low tiers, just to sense the difference... And mainly to spade a couple of low level vehicles for the SL rewards. No better.

Yes, it is different. Can see how it makes some difference but do wonder whether people are remembering the good old days, presumably before several nerfs. Bear in mind though that most newbies will stick to arcade initially.

Cannot understand how anyone thinks a 2pdr armed tank is viable, fun, fair or historically accurate. which is about half the tech tree. Hell it might have been reasonable in the past when people actually grinded the lower tiers but just not seeing this as a L2P thing.. Defame me as much as you like as just being crap, I'm telling you it isn't fun and is weighted against a Brit player to an unreasonable degree which will put the vast majority off.

I get the L2P stuff, and it was expected. Though I'm no newbie at such things across 35 years of gaming and my comment about very few new players sticking it out as long as I did very much stands. If playing the Brits was designed to be iron man mode then there would be compensation in some ways, but there isn't. The tree is crap. It's appalling regardless of skill.

https://thunderskill.com/en/stat/Razielkaine/vehicles/a#type=army&country=country_britain&role=all

Your results in tier 1 and 2 seem to be indifferent to very poor with 2pdr armed vehicles in the last month. And deeply indifferent with the rest except the AAA which I've singled out as being worthy. I work it out as a 38% win rate...

Tell us newbies again oh god like creature how easy it is to play lower tier Brits! Hilarious....

On which note I propose a challenge to the War Thunder gods of mouse exactness and game knowledge.

Simply play lower tier Brits with 2pdr armed tanks and achieve a win rate over 20 games of 62% OR a frags per death of over 2 and I'll buy you a pint. 62% is merely rated as a good player on Thunder skills so I'm sure a lot of you won't struggle.

I havent played tier 1 or 2 in the last month....

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

AB is for special people and kids who can't aim and need constant markers to spot vehicles. I've played a few and mainly by accident when that game mode selection glitch changes your selected game to arcade and it you get insta-cued before you can cancel it. It makes 99% of the things to enjoy about tank combat irrelevant. The tank outline markers and aiming reticule turning green when you can reliably pen means that most players drive around randomly trying to aim at targets they themselves can't physically see yet. They pay absolutely no attention to anything else happening on the screen as they are constantly in the gunners view staring at the aiming marker while moving it around on a target outline going "white, white , white , red, white, red, red, red, yellow, red, yellow, green FIRE!!!! Yeah im great!".

Then they try RB and get clubbed by players who can use their vehicle properly, who know how the different muzzle velocities of different guns and ammunition affects the ballistics and learn how a targets relative position and movement affect how and where to aim. They know the maps in far more intricate detail, where you can be detected and from which directions at a given point and more importantly where you can't be (this is also the main difference between players who did the grind from the bottom to the top of multiple tech trees and the huge volume of new players who bought an 8.7/9.0 premium and get murdered in the first minute). As they have no clue how to position their expensive vehicle and where to move and due to the ballistics and ammunition at higher BR's they are more likely to get one shotted from the other side of the map.

As an example you can probably tell from my player card that I don't do much flying as tbh its boring. I prefer terra firma but I have done it and being new to it I decided to play arcade which is why my arcade stats are awful. Then when I got more into the game and joined a squadron playing with more seasoned pilots they immediately told me to stop playing AB in planes. Why, because it teaches you bad habits, You dont learn the flight mechanics, well tbh you dont learn anything and it makes the transition to RB harder. The same statements can be said for ground battles. So I stopped playing AB in aircraft and while I still don't fly much (as the game pace is slower in RB and i still find it boring) I have improved although It took time and patience. My advice is stop playing AB and you will get better. Then you can jump back into AB on occasion if you wish and you will perform better for it. AB just irritates me in tanks and if you play enough RB you will not want to go back to it.

I am of course talking generically across all nations here but I will focus on low tier British tanks for the main point of my statement. Which is that while playing AB only one of the enemy team has to be able to see the tip of your radio antenna and it highlights your position to their entire team. More importantly at lower tiers the outline of your vehicle gives away vital information to the enemy that they shouldn't necessarily know... which direction your vehicle is facing and where your gun is pointing. This is important because hull and turret traverse rates are slower at low tiers and you are less able to maneuver and react to a target that already knows where you are. Also since you can't rely upon your armour, a 50/50 engagement where the enemy already knows you are there is going to end badly for you. Despite having a faster reload than the enemy it becomes irrelevant when you engage in a 50/50 because if you both fire at the same time the ammunition type most other nations use means you are likely to die instantly and due to yours not having an explosive filler means you may only potentially cripple their vehicle allowing them to repair and continue. The answer is simple... play RB and all the spotting assistance is removed. Therefore you can avoid them types of engagements most of the time and surprise the enemy with two quick shots and rely on the particular strengths of your vehicle before they have any idea where they are being shot from.

This doesn't only apply to low tier or strictly the British tanks either as the same principles and skills you develop here are useful when advancing to higher BR's for any nation. I mainly play BR 8.0+ now but I still love playing low tier (sandbox) as in BR 1.0 Germans. As an example, I have to get up close and personal with my favourite vehicle in order for its ammunition to be effective. Relying on not being detected while doing so up until the point when it's too late for the target to do anything about it. Allowing me to take maximum advantage of the high pen at short range coupled with a rapid rate of fire and not relying on my non existent armour in an engagement when they already know that I am there and are looking right at me.

Do yourselves a favor and don't play the mode which gives you an artificial handicap. Play RB and leave AB alone.                

Edited by _Fear_Naught_
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
medal

1 hour ago, _Fear_Naught_ said:

Do yourselves a favor and remove the artificial handicap you are placing yourself under by not playing AB.                

did you mean RB?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 minutes ago, Razielkaine said:

did you mean RB?

Good spot... Edited

medal

4 hours ago, _Fear_Naught_ said:

Jesus christ nice way to **** on AB players

• Upvote 2

https://thunderskill.com/en/stat/SneakySausage/vehicles/a#type=army&role=light_tank&country=country_britain

My lowest win rate with a 2 pdr vehicle is the Matilda II at 67%. Sooo

They are good

I can not play and havent been able to for about 3 months, but my last games were A13s in 3.0 matches + in AB for fun. I still dominated matches. The 2 pounder is a good gun.

15 hours ago, _Fear_Naught_ said:

AB is for special people and kids who can't aim and need constant markers to spot vehicles.

Grow up

Edited by SneakySausage
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I don't think the British ground forces are appalling, what's appalling is the amount of inaccuracies. Such as:

- Numerous vehicles have the wrong construction angle of their upper glacis plates.

- Missing ammo: I think it's great that the 2-Pdr got additional ammo added. Now the 6-Pdr needs its APCR and APDS, the 3 Inch needs its missing SAP ammo, the 75mm is still missing American APHE (which the British did use), the Avenger is missing its APDS, and the Tortoise is missing its APDS, etc.

- Missing rear smoke dischargers: About a dozen or so British vehicles have it modeled but they are currently unusable. 

- Missing AA MG's: Many WWII British vehicles were typically fitted with AA Bren guns, in single or duel mountings, or even duel Vickers K mounts.

- Incorrect armour values: The Cromwell's are probably the biggest offender here.

- Missing internal armour: The Churchill Mk. I and Mk. III for example are missing their 12.7mm MS backing plates. If you've ever seen sources mention the Churchill's front hull armour as 101.6mm and wondered why it's 88.9mm in-game it's because of these backing plates. The same can be said about the Churchill's side armour, which is 63.5mm and is missing the 12.7mm MS backing plate bringing the total thickness to 76.2mm.

- Wrong guns: The Cromwell Mk. I and Churchill Mk. III are both given the wrong 6-Pdr gun. The Cromwell is modeled with a 6-Pdr Mk. V and has the stats of the 6-Pdr Mk. III. Whilst the Churchill is modeled with a 6-Pdr Mk. III and has the stats of the 6-Pdr Mk. V.

- Artificial weakspots: Many British vehicles have been modeled with weaker drivers ports, MG ports, turret rings, etc. Which shouldn't be the case from the sources I've seen.

There's many more. I standby any and all historical issues being resolved, with any potential BR adjustments done after the fact. Things such as the rear smoke dischargers and AA MG's could be added as modifications, to give Gaijin a monetary angle.

On 25/10/2019 at 18:14, SneakySausage said:

My lowest win rate with a 2 pdr vehicle is the Matilda II at 67%. Sooo

I think the issue with the Matilda in AB is the fact it's still 3.0. There's no reason to take it when it shares the same BR as the Churchill. Which is faster, better armoured, has more crew, better smoke grenades, has pivot steer, and an additional 3-Inch howitzer.

Edited by Jarms
  • Upvote 4
medal

Also a lot of players, especially new ones, that use British tanks, have a horrible tendency to think they can play them like a "Brawler". There are only a few in the British tree that allows that sort of game play and very few of them are at high tier. The likes of the Churchill Mk.VII etc you can use like that, the Cromwells have speed to their advantage, so shift points quickly, Valentines are slow, but methodical. Matilda, will one shot quite a bit, or at least 2 or 3 with a fantastic reload speed, and a -20 degree angle. 

So in conclusion, play the British tanks as they were designed for in the field of combat, as a long range distraction or a sniper tank. If you want "Brawlers" then play either US or RU.

medal medal medal medal

On 25/10/2019 at 03:43, _Fear_Naught_ said:

AB is for special people and kids who can't aim and need constant markers to spot vehicles. I've played a few and mainly by accident when that game mode selection glitch changes your selected game to arcade and it you get insta-cued before you can cancel it. It makes 99% of the things to enjoy about tank combat irrelevant. The tank outline markers and aiming reticule turning green when you can reliably pen means that most players drive around randomly trying to aim at targets they themselves can't physically see yet. They pay absolutely no attention to anything else happening on the screen as they are constantly in the gunners view staring at the aiming marker while moving it around on a target outline going "white, white , white , red, white, red, red, red, yellow, red, yellow, green FIRE!!!! Yeah im great!".

Then they try RB and get clubbed by players who can use their vehicle properly, who know how the different muzzle velocities of different guns and ammunition affects the ballistics and learn how a targets relative position and movement affect how and where to aim. They know the maps in far more intricate detail, where you can be detected and from which directions at a given point and more importantly where you can't be (this is also the main difference between players who did the grind from the bottom to the top of multiple tech trees and the huge volume of new players who bought an 8.7/9.0 premium and get murdered in the first minute). As they have no clue how to position their expensive vehicle and where to move and due to the ballistics and ammunition at higher BR's they are more likely to get one shotted from the other side of the map.

As an example you can probably tell from my player card that I don't do much flying as tbh its boring. I prefer terra firma but I have done it and being new to it I decided to play arcade which is why my arcade stats are awful. Then when I got more into the game and joined a squadron playing with more seasoned pilots they immediately told me to stop playing AB in planes. Why, because it teaches you bad habits, You dont learn the flight mechanics, well tbh you dont learn anything and it makes the transition to RB harder. The same statements can be said for ground battles. So I stopped playing AB in aircraft and while I still don't fly much (as the game pace is slower in RB and i still find it boring) I have improved although It took time and patience. My advice is stop playing AB and you will get better. Then you can jump back into AB on occasion if you wish and you will perform better for it. AB just irritates me in tanks and if you play enough RB you will not want to go back to it.

I am of course talking generically across all nations here but I will focus on low tier British tanks for the main point of my statement. Which is that while playing AB only one of the enemy team has to be able to see the tip of your radio antenna and it highlights your position to their entire team. More importantly at lower tiers the outline of your vehicle gives away vital information to the enemy that they shouldn't necessarily know... which direction your vehicle is facing and where your gun is pointing. This is important because hull and turret traverse rates are slower at low tiers and you are less able to maneuver and react to a target that already knows where you are. Also since you can't rely upon your armour, a 50/50 engagement where the enemy already knows you are there is going to end badly for you. Despite having a faster reload than the enemy it becomes irrelevant when you engage in a 50/50 because if you both fire at the same time the ammunition type most other nations use means you are likely to die instantly and due to yours not having an explosive filler means you may only potentially cripple their vehicle allowing them to repair and continue. The answer is simple... play RB and all the spotting assistance is removed. Therefore you can avoid them types of engagements most of the time and surprise the enemy with two quick shots and rely on the particular strengths of your vehicle before they have any idea where they are being shot from.

This doesn't only apply to low tier or strictly the British tanks either as the same principles and skills you develop here are useful when advancing to higher BR's for any nation. I mainly play BR 8.0+ now but I still love playing low tier (sandbox) as in BR 1.0 Germans. As an example, I have to get up close and personal with my favourite vehicle in order for its ammunition to be effective. Relying on not being detected while doing so up until the point when it's too late for the target to do anything about it. Allowing me to take maximum advantage of the high pen at short range coupled with a rapid rate of fire and not relying on my non existent armour in an engagement when they already know that I am there and are looking right at me.

Do yourselves a favor and don't play the mode which gives you an artificial handicap. Play RB and leave AB alone.                

Another "elite" player right there. If you had replaced RB with SB, there would have been some sense to it, but the only real difference between AB and RB is the lack of markers for enemies, friendlies are still marked in RB, and the vehicles are faster in AB. Which is why i play AB. I simply cant stand my Centurion being as slow in RB, as the Maus is in AB. The penetration indicator only works up to around 600m, and the outline markers disappears after 1km.

I dont understand people like you. Obviously there are different gamemodes for different people, because people enjoy different aspects of the game, but basically calling AB players xxxx is just not ok. If you cant handle AB, maybe you are just slow reacting.

medal medal medal medal medal

L2P.

Ive accumulated 11m SL over time playing low tier Britain. I routinely return to lower BRs to melt n00bs for fun when higher tiers are becoming tedious.

All of Britian tier 1 is good, all of the tanks suit the meta, some of which better than other nations tier 1 tanks. Compare it to Japan tier 1, Italy tier 1, France tier 1 or hell even America tier 1. The Crusader mark 3s naughty gun and target acquisition is a usable tank up to 4.7.

Some tanks are criminally underrated like the Cromwell mark 1 and the Valentine mark 1, the latter I have accumulated 11 KD/R with, my best game achieving 21 kills and no deaths with. The cromwell 1 one of the best 3.7 mediums in the hand of someone who isnt an idiot.

The Churchill mark 1 is still a machine despite the fake pen stat nerf. The 3 inch game carrier can club with the right BR, and the AC AA mk 2 is the best protected AA at 2.7 and can often lure idiots into head-ons with you, able to chip their engine block with the decent pen (that makes it a viable tank destroyer in a downtier) while their crappy 20mms bounce off your thicc turret.

I recommend staying away from the later valentines and skip the cromwell V because the gun is total garbage, and the valentines armor and gun doesnt cut the dreadful mobility.

Alot of these flawed lower tier tanks, namely the Matilda, has to fight guns it never did and tanks it never did. Certainly not the only tank in the game that suffers from this, but a very powerful vehicle back in 1940 that deserves to be good, or at least decent. At 2.7 and above its underperforming 2pdr (that I will make a post on) is a 'bad gun' and is only at 2.7 because of its good armor.

All of Britain tier 3 is good in the right hands, Churchill 3 desperately needs add on track armor though.

All of Britain tier 4 is good, including the tortoise, exception Charioteer. Etc.

Edited by *XreGenerations
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
medal

1 hour ago, glock991 said:

tortoise is not good imo

Overangle the right side.

Needs its APDS round.

medal

On 24/10/2019 at 19:55, Spinflight said:

I get the L2P stuff, and it was expected. Though I'm no newbie at such things across 35 years of gaming and my comment about very few new players sticking it out as long as I did very much stands. If playing the Brits was designed to be iron man mode then there would be compensation in some ways, but there isn't.

I'm not sure what you want people to tell you here. You are a very new player in WT, and in no real position to pass judgment on a whole tech tree (having never played any of the other ones, besides). It is what it is...I've played many thousands more matches than you and I still scratch my head daily LOL. I am an older hand as well from the Atari 2600 days :lol2:

The tree is crap. It's appalling regardless of skill.

This is just not true. There are several vehicles in the British tree with which I've achieved some of my best results in WT. They were at a slightly higher BR than you have been focusing thus far (keep reading below).

You've got this completely backwards I think. There are THOUSANDS of vehicles in War Thunder...if one or more of them don't seem to work for you, then by all means keep moving and bypass them, or shift to another nation to build experience and then come back. The low-tier tank grind is so fast that by the time you've spaded something you have unlocked the next tank...

I agree with you that the 2pdr Brit tanks were underwhelming and since I had already played very low BR tanks in the US, USSR, and German trees, I felt no obligation to suffer. I had a higher tier premium that I used to grind through the early Brits...when I got up to the Crusader Mk3 (which I see you do well in also), Cromwells, Sherman II, Achilles etc., I started hammering the bad guys and that has continued up to 7.3 so far.

That said, I believe part of the reason for this is that I had at that point a lot of experience with three other nations. My strongest recommendation to you is to keep at it and try some of the other trees to get more experience and perspective on WT gameplay. Even if you end up continuing as a British "main", this broader experience will only help you.

medal medal medal