9 hours ago, TheReal_WildBoar said:

Do we know about the ammunition used in the Vickers Mk7. Considering if it fired L26 Jericho, it would make a decent 10.0, similar in performance to the Ariete that would fill a hole missing in the British BR spread, instead of being the 3rd British 9.7 MBT.

The Ariete (P) is already at 9.7 firing a better round than L26 (let alone the rounds the CR1s and now Vickers have access to).

On top of that it actually seems to have better armour than the Vickers as well.

medal medal medal

6 hours ago, Baron_Tiberius said:

The Vickers mk.7 we have long predates L26. You could argue for the 7/2 to use *BD26* which is almost identical, but we do not have the 7/2.

Is that the case. I have been looking for dates on the shells and vehicle and I have only found "Mid to late 80s" so far. If you know where concrete dates are listed I'd love to see.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

6 hours ago, TheReal_WildBoar said:

Is that the case. I have been looking for dates on the shells and vehicle and I have only found "Mid to late 80s" so far. If you know where concrete dates are listed I'd love to see.

The Vickers MBT Mk.7 we have is the earlier version and most likely predates the BD26 or L26. Be glad we have the L23A1 because it probably started without even that. The dev blog mixed up info of Mk.7 and Mk.7/2 claiming what we have is a potential Challenger replacement.

Currently it is not very good at 9.7 but also too good for 9.3.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Finally unlocked the Vickers Mk.7. I'm interested to see whether it's worth anything in the British lineup, the armour and ammo placement seems appalling, may as well bring full ammo as the charges are literally everywhere in the hull.

• Sad 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

18 hours ago, Baron_Tiberius said:

L23A1 entered service in '83/84

L26A1 was first proposed in 1987 as BD26 and L26A1 itself was first issued to Challenger 1s during the Gulf War in 1991.

7/2 has a slightly different turret and supposedly had the armour reworked.

Still carries the mythical L23 though

On 01/11/2019 at 18:14, TheCheshireCat said:

Finally unlocked the Vickers Mk.7. I'm interested to see whether it's worth anything in the British lineup, the armour and ammo placement seems appalling, may as well bring full ammo as the charges are literally everywhere in the hull.

I recommend carrying about 20-24 rounds, never needed more than this and it makes it so if any ruskies HE-FRAG you in the turret you dont auto detonate which has happened once when I had front loaded ammunition.Sure you have it scattered around in the turret ring, but often you can position yourself/turret ring to "dodge" shots hitting the ammo.

Also noticed a fair few hits to my front rack as people assume I would load it up which lead to not dying.

Have to say though, I am loving the tank a lot more then the Challenger 1 I have, I can actually engage enemy targets before the M1 horde kills them lol.

Edited by mitchverr12345

How big is the ready rack? If this tank is supposed to take out enemies unnoticed (no useful armor) then the ready rack should allow us to send at least 4 rounds down range quickly.

medal medal medal

2 hours ago, CrossEyedN00b said:

How big is the ready rack? If this tank is supposed to take out enemies unnoticed (no useful armor) then the ready rack should allow us to send at least 4 rounds down range quickly.

3 just like the chally II. Also just like the challies the charges sitting in the lower rear of the turret basket aren't considered first stage (despite them being considered first stage on the chieftains).

When it comes to how the ammo fills:
Shells:

1 -AP- 3 Shells on the inside of the bay left of the loader
2 -AP- 2 Shells In the rear turret bay starting from the second one in from the left at the top.

3 -HESH- 6 shells in the center of the tank

4 -AP- 3 Shells on the outside of the bay left of the loader
5 -AP- 5 shells in the bay in-front of the loader
6 -AP- The rest fill up the rear turret bay starting from the bottom right, filling across in rows.

Charges:

1-First 3 in the first stage charges bay

2-Next 17 fill the bays below the turret starting from the right.
3-The rest fill the front bay from the bottom right slot.

The rounds (mostly APFSDS) seem to place themselves all over the tank rather than fill evenly like the charges. I suppose this stops you from losing all your ammo from a single hit. But the HESH slots filling at just 6 rounds isn't so great and they will fill whether you take HESH or not. There are however only six HESH slots which gives it a fair bit more survivability over the chally.

Played a couple matches in It now. Seems to be very good at tanking ATGMS/HEAT but APFSDS melts through it like butter, The saving grace is the lack of combustible ammo in the turret, you can take at least 2-3 frontal shots to the turret before dying. As far as side shots go it is somewhat better at taking hits than the chally due to the crew being further apart and the lack of HESH shells all over the place, you do get set on fire a lot instead so the stock grind can be a bit annoying. The mobility is very nice but it does have the same gun traverse characteristics as the chally making it slow to get on target. I'd suggest playing it just like a Chally (hull down sniper due to the ammo layout), but using the increased maneuverability to relocate more often.

Edited by MA50CHI5T_TEAB00
medal medal medal

3 hours ago, MA50CHI5T_TEAB00 said:

The saving grace is the lack of combustible ammo in the turret, you can take at least 2-3 frontal shots to the turret before dying.

The APFSDS projectiles are currently bugged and will explode when hit (as used to happen on Chieftains & CR1), so actually the turret is full of explosive ammo and being hit from anything with enough pen to go through the cheeks is extremely dangerous unless your ammo load is very light.

medal medal medal

Shouldn't the vickers mk 7s reload be the same as the challenger given the fact its the same gun and ammo location is relatively the same?

medal medal medal medal medal medal

14 hours ago, Baron_Tiberius said:

It is the same reload afaik, as the challenger 1.

According to youtube videos it isn't. The reload has the same with ready rack as the challenger without ready rack.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

22 hours ago, Baron_Tiberius said:

It is the same reload afaik, as the challenger 1.

8 hours ago, omnipotank said:

According to youtube videos it isn't. The reload has the same with ready rack as the challenger without ready rack.

Reload is the same as most 120mm tanks like the 2A4/5 - however it has the same very small ready rack as the CR1s which means you only have a few shots at competitive RoF (though not good) before becoming very slow.

medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...

Shouldn't there be a case to buff the Vickers Mk 7 MBT's turret armor from this old document shown in the Challenger 1 thread

Spoiler

_DEFE 70_1615_00076.jpg

322079139__DEFE70_1615_00077.thumb.jpg.c

vNsl4SV.png.8594df8f76865c8aa243054a1820

"turret is protected over a frontal arc APDS and APFSDS up to 120mm caliber", likely meaning L23A1 that is referenced in the document.

Meanwhile ingame
unknown.png

Edited by RoflSeal
medal medal

7 minutes ago, RoflSeal said:

Shouldn't there be a case to buff the Vickers Mk 7 MBT's turret armor from this old document shown in the Challenger 1 thread

Hide contents

_DEFE 70_1615_00076.jpg

322079139__DEFE70_1615_00077.thumb.jpg.c

vNsl4SV.png.8594df8f76865c8aa243054a1820

"turret is protected over a frontal arc APDS and APFSDS up to 120mm caliber, likely meaning L23A1

Considering Gaijin's behaviour with the Challenger's armor, especially with the CE protection, set your expectations to 0 for changes to avoid disappointment.

medal medal

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/challenger-tank-prototype-model-160986755

Vickers commisioned model of the 7/2

challenger-tank-prototype-model_360_6a7c

Edit: concerning the protection, you could report that. Document doesn't give a range, but if you use L23A1 and L15A5 at 2km as a work case scenario it might stick.

Edited by Baron_Tiberius
medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Baron_Tiberius said:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/challenger-tank-prototype-model-160986755

Vickers commisioned model of the 7/2

challenger-tank-prototype-model_360_6a7c

Edit: concerning the protection, you could report that. Document doesn't give a range, but if you use L23A1 and L15A5 at 2km as a work case scenario it might stick.

why 2 km? If we base it off the Haynes manual for Chieftain's still brew and various docs for Challenger, they are talking about protection at 1km distance, 

also is this still on auction?

Edited by RoflSeal
medal medal