3 minutes ago, *oppsijustkilledu said:

Okay cheers for the reply smin, out of curiosity was there any thought of maybe giving the option of being able to choose what we want to use? Would of made for interesting mechanic for a ground vehicle imo. Also any chance of being able to share any of the documents used? Just intered to read about it as there is such little info available 

Well thats somewhat part of the point. There were really no "British" specifications for "better" turret armour than the CR 1 because it never got that far. As I understand there is only 1 set of armour values. Which would have been the ones heading to the export market. 

Regarding the info, im not actually too sure on where we stand on some parts of the sources in terms of publication. But lets see what can be done. 

• Like 2

@Smin1080p firstly, well done on finding enough info on this rather obscure tank. Secondly, are you guys planning on fleshing out a full Vickers MBT line, continuing from the Conqueror (because there are a bunch of other Vickers tanks that could fit between 8.0-9.7 in there and complement the Chieftains) , or are you going to place the Mk.7 together with the Challengers?

Edited by Alan_Tovarishch
  • Like 1
medal medal medal

6 minutes ago, Smin1080p said:

Well thats somewhat part of the point. There were really no "British" specifications for "better" turret armour than the CR 1 because it never got that far. As I understand there is only 1 set of armour values. Which would have been the ones heading to the export market. 

Regarding the info, im not actually too sure on where we stand on some parts of the sources in terms of publication. But lets see what can be done. 

Oops messed up what I meant to put. Was meant to put as it was offered with different guns was there any thought on allowing use choose what gun we want like unlock it as a modification etc. Hope we hear something soon about being able to share your documents though cheers smin.

medal medal medal medal medal

9 minutes ago, Alan_Tovarishch said:

@Smin1080p firstly, well done on finding enough info on this rather obscure tank. Secondly, are you guys planning on fleshing out a full Vickers MBT line, continuing from the Conqueror (because there are a bunch of other Vickers tanks that could fit between 8.0-9.7 in there and complement the Chieftains) , or are you going to place the Mk.7 together with the Challengers?

As of now currently, she will sit in the Vickers Line. Of course that very may well change.

Regarding other vehicles, we dont exclude the possibility of anything (depending on info etc) in the future.

3 minutes ago, *oppsijustkilledu said:

Oops messed up what I meant to put. Was meant to put as it was offered with different guns was there any thought on allowing use choose what gun we want like unlock it as a modification etc. Hope we hear something soon about being able to share your documents though cheers smin.

At this current moment in time no. Generally with gun variants etc we make a whole new machine. Since thats not really applicable here, that most likely wont be the case. But lets see what happens in the future :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Smin1080p said:

At this current moment in time no. Generally with gun variants etc we make a whole new machine. Since thats not really applicable here, that most likely wont be the case. But lets see what happens in the future :)

Okay, just think it would be interesting mechanic for a ground vehicle. I think alot of people would be quite for something like that. Maybe we might see it in the future. Anyway now back to hoping for the illusive british supersonic wave been waiting for. We got the vickers MBT 7 something we thought would never happen now can patch 1.93 also bring us the EEL or even the jag.

6 minutes ago, Smin1080p said:

As of now currently, she will sit in the Vickers Line. Of course that very may well change.

Regarding other vehicles, we dont exclude the possibility of anything (depending on info etc) in the future.

@Smin1080p First of all thanks to Gaijin and his employees for giving us this beautiful and really needed machine but i have a question we will see another vehicles from the Vickers MBT family?

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

AFAIK it was only offered to the UK in around 87 when the UK started looking for a chieftain replacement in earnest. Then the UK decided to do a more formal specification requirement and Vickers made another proposal with a series of design options.

I'd be super interested in seeing the documents you guys found! I actually contacted BAE a while back and they told me all the old Vickers documents were at Bovington.

3 minutes ago, Baron_Tiberius said:

AFAIK it was only offered to the UK in around 87 when the UK started looking for a chieftain replacement in earnest. Then the UK decided to do a more formal specification requirement and Vickers made another proposal with a series of design options.

I'd be super interested in seeing the documents you guys found! I actually contacted BAE a while back and they told me all the old Vickers documents were at Bovington.

Wasnt that PIP program around 1987? That thing that surfaced on the CR1 thread a while back? Could that of been specification requirement?

I think those are unrelated, but around the same time? Did those docs mention the Mk.7 at all i can't remember?

Edit: I think the GSR spec came like much later around 88 or 89, and its what the M1A2 Leo 2 improved and CR2 proposal were graded against.

Edited by Baron_Tiberius

Yeah i think PIP was just some internal ideas, unrelated to the later specification. Though I imagine some of the requirements were similar, By the time they were doing the chieftain replacement program ROF was already sold to Vickers so there wasn't really much state-owned tank production ability left.

1 hour ago, Lord_Dipul said:

@Smin1080p First of all thanks to Gaijin and his employees for giving us this beautiful and really needed machine but i have a question we will see another vehicles from the Vickers MBT family?

Your answer is here:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, duckmartin said:

Found this interesting video.

Cool vid, thanks

It's kind of funny the narrator says the vickers was designed as an export tank so the challenger could be kept secret, when challenger originated as an export vehicle.

But anyway some of those other vickers vehicles look cool, maybe they could flesh out the 7.7-9.0 br range for the UK. 

medal medal

5 hours ago, Baron_Tiberius said:

I've read them. A while ago now though when i was in ATDU as we had access to the archives... I cant wait for the copy & paste mess this vehicle is going to be. Sorry to be the bearer of dull news boys but it will be a Leo 2A4 copy paste exercise with all turret problems that the CR1 & CR2 suffer with to this day. Just read through the comments on the News Feed and they made me want to scratch my eyes out and drown myself with tea. This is going to be a worse guessing game with more random guestimates than they did with CR1 & CR2 combined.    

Edited by _Fear_Naught_
  • Like 1
medal medal medal

3 hours ago, *oppsijustkilledu said:

Just thought of something the ammunition layout. The leopard 2 hull was designed for single piece ammunition. @Smin1080p amy information in regards to as what we see for ammo layout?

The running gear complete (as in torsion bar suspension, idler assy's, final drive assy's, top rollers, track, track tensioner's and road wheels and hubs), as well as the power pack and the basic hull and some of the internal fixtures and fittings were all that was used from the Leo2. The internal layout of the hull was completely changed depending on the Gun specification chosen as well as the armour package. Rheinmetall at the time did not like this and half way through trials refused to offer the hull as Vickers made it better. Which is part of the reason it never saw full production. Not only that but it also made the tank very expensive to manufacture and that was the main reason it failed to secure a buyer.     

• Like 1
medal medal medal

I'm glad we're about to get a mobile MBT at last. But I would be much much happy to see its introduction in the patch when Leo2A4 just came out when it was more urgent needed and when it would allowed brits to enjoy the game at high tier along with the rest nations.

Introducing it only now when high tier is stomped by monsters like L2A5, Leclerc and Arietes is truly like they say: "Slow help - is almost no help".  But thanks to devs anyway, little help for British will do.

Really interesting how Gaijin guessed the ammo stowage layout and turret armour, what the reload speed they offer.

I expecting that Vickers mk7's hull is promising to be the same powder keg as CR1/CR2, since devs messed up with l11 gun's two pieces ammunition in terms of charge bag explosion probability, and especially with HESH rounds which supposed to be extremely stable.

Really hope they didn't placed any of charge bags in the turret aft niche, so that hull down playstyle would be a reliable option to not explode after the single turret penetration.

As for turret armor... the mantlet looks too vulnerable, but I hope such a big cheeks would be filled with armor properly at least?

-nfyr.jpg.fd07388e7b05864a9d9979de0c54e5

If not, I will be surprised a lot seeing Vickers Mk.7 will get a much less armoured turret than the Leo2A4's smaller turret.

k8kLP7y_d.jpg.973363b189b46f0e30ad65c400

Edited by erilon03
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, magazine2 said:

C'mon, he wasn't lying, 8 months is a long time to find the correct sources, what most likely happened.

You are talking about "Correct sources" , aren't you ?

Considering what happened to CR2 , releasing the Vikers Mk7 should be more cautious .

really glad to see that L15  APDS leaves Cr1 Mk2 btw.

And how can Gaijin's devs prove that Challengers' elevators are such bad ? 5degree/s ?!?! 

medal medal

8 hours ago, duckmartin said:

Found this interesting video.

Nice vid :) love that old narrator voice.

Cool

A backup for my Lynx

7 hours ago, erilon03 said:

As for turret armor... the mantlet looks too vulnerable, but I hope such a big cheeks would be filled with armor properly at least?

-nfyr.jpg.fd07388e7b05864a9d9979de0c54e5

If not, I will be surprised a lot seeing Vickers Mk.7 will get a much less armoured turret than the Leo2A4's smaller turret.

However, as the vehicle was meant for the export market, cost savings meant that the Vickers Mk.7 was fitted with thinner armour than the Challenger 1

Even without the galactic mantlet I doubt the Mk 7 will have any worthwhile armour, especially in the face of 10.0/10.3s

Mobility will make or break the tank

ammunition placement comes next, a hull not made of concentrated explodium will be a huge boon over the Challengers for being a bit more aggressive

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

47 minutes ago, TheOnlyRyan said:

Hey Mr @Smin1080p 

Does this now mean we might see the Mk4 Valiant along side the Mk7?

Any juicy little hints you can throw my way? Is it on the radar. Also do we know the BR of the Mk7, the dev block says to fill the gap between challengers but there is no space?

Thanks

When the BR changes go live, the Challenger 1s will be 9.7 and Challenger 2 will be 10.3; so maybe the Vickers will be 10.0?

medal medal medal

I don't want to come off as a whiny Brit main, but why the Mk 7:

Spoiler

wjldhszqauy11.jpg.c2bcb3df68d8a5838fb0b4

instead of the Mk 7/2 (notice the turret front shape):

Spoiler

valiant1.png.3aa9fa882ab22a2d52b3af347e0

You know, the one that was actually tested by the British in comparative tank trials, not the cheap export version.

Spoiler

9OoEWVk.thumb.jpg.015319e76d8dfdad0c94bc

• Upvote 1
medal