Hi guys,

Can I make a redirect for all Hispano cannon pages to link to the same page/article? The cannons are pretty similar, after all. I was thinking of creating one unified article for Hispano cannons (H.S.404, Hispano Mk I, Hispano Mk II, Hispano Mk V) and then creating summaries of each of the shells based on datarips from 1.91 that I have, before following it up with a 1.93 edit and creating a new post for any edits that happen then.

I'd also like to do something like that for the AN/M2 and AN/M3 but I haven't played US planes enough to know them in live-fire conditions.

Sincerely,

Mantis

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Hello Aussie_Mantis, for some vehicles, weapons, tactics or even history behind some of this stuff in War Thunder will end up making some of these vehicle/weapon feature pages really long or like you mention spreads across several weapon systems or vehicles. To avoid making some really huge pages (causing the inevitable TL:DR caveat at the bottom of the page) we find that a specific template works out best for this. You may have already seen the {{main|WeaponGun (20 mm)|Weapon Gun (7.6 mm)}} template on most of the vehicle pages which helps prevent all of the vehicle pages with the say "Hispano Mk I" guns on it have the same 12 paragraphs about the weapon (interesting and important information for sure, just hard to maintain and read through the same stuff on each of those pages). I think it would be appropriate in the case as you mention to create a page called "Hispano Autocannons" or something like that and then on each of the Hispano cannon pages there can be brief info about the cannons, but each will have a main template link {{main|Hispano Autocannons}} (or something like that) which can then take the reader to the "Hispano Autocannons" main page where the full history, comparisons and what not can be laid out in logical fashion. 

I would recommend coming up with a generic layout on either your user page or talk page (on the talk page you don't have to wait for a moderator to approve before any edits go live where as your user page you will have to wait) and then have one of us moderators take a look. If there are not any recommendations or suggestions then I think the page is a go and you will be able to create it and fill it in.

I already created something like this for US and Japanese bombs ( https://wiki.warthunder.com/US_Bombs_General_Information and https://wiki.warthunder.com/Japan_Bombs_General_Information) which the links can be found on in the "See also" section at the bottom of the US and Japanese bomb pages (I just have not gotten around to create "{{main|XXXXX}}" templates for them. You can use these as general guides, but otherwise are free to create the page to fit the information you would like to present.  Let me know if I can be of any further help, good luck!!

medal medal medal

18 minutes ago, AN_TRN_26 said:

Hello Aussie_Mantis, for some vehicles, weapons, tactics or even history behind some of this stuff in War Thunder will end up making some of these vehicle/weapon feature pages really long or like you mention spreads across several weapon systems or vehicles. To avoid making some really huge pages (causing the inevitable TL:DR caveat at the bottom of the page) we find that a specific template works out best for this. You may have already seen the {{main|WeaponGun (20 mm)|Weapon Gun (7.6 mm)}} template on most of the vehicle pages which helps prevent all of the vehicle pages with the say "Hispano Mk I" guns on it have the same 12 paragraphs about the weapon (interesting and important information for sure, just hard to maintain and read through the same stuff on each of those pages). I think it would be appropriate in the case as you mention to create a page called "Hispano Autocannons" or something like that and then on each of the Hispano cannon pages there can be brief info about the cannons, but each will have a main template link {{main|Hispano Autocannons}} (or something like that) which can then take the reader to the "Hispano Autocannons" main page where the full history, comparisons and what not can be laid out in logical fashion. 

I would recommend coming up with a generic layout on either your user page or talk page (on the talk page you don't have to wait for a moderator to approve before any edits go live where as your user page you will have to wait) and then have one of us moderators take a look. If there are not any recommendations or suggestions then I think the page is a go and you will be able to create it and fill it in.

I already created something like this for US and Japanese bombs ( https://wiki.warthunder.com/US_Bombs_General_Information and https://wiki.warthunder.com/Japan_Bombs_General_Information) which the links can be found on in the "See also" section at the bottom of the US and Japanese bomb pages (I just have not gotten around to create "{{main|XXXXX}}" templates for them. You can use these as general guides, but otherwise are free to create the page to fit the information you would like to present.  Let me know if I can be of any further help, good luck!!

Cheers. Was exactly was I was thinking! Also, just asking, but is there a place for another ordnance table on the WT wiki? I've been going around collecting data and here's what I've got so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AOUv-5BjePXOX9drfhKumh_drX8Tjh6b/edit#gid=752206790

TO DO: Comparison 15/20mm, 7mm, 12.7mm guns

Rockets

Add chinese bomb section

Edit italian bombs

UNfortunately I'm at school right now, and I can't access google drive. bugger.

Edited by Aussie_Mantis
medal medal medal

10 minutes ago, Aussie_Mantis said:

Cheers. Also, just asking, but is there a place for another ordnance table on the WT wiki? I've been going around collecting data and here's what I've got so far:

I have forwarded this question to the moderator group for their consideration, we will let you know what is decided. There is a lot of good information in that chart!  Good luck with classes!!

Edited by AN_TRN_26
medal medal medal

10 minutes ago, AN_TRN_26 said:

I have forwarded this question to the moderator group for their consideration, we will let you know what is decided. There is a lot of good information in that chart!  Good luck with classes!!

Cheers. I'm doing a few edits for the V-156-B1 page rn for realistic battles, so I'll see ya soon! Also, any updates on the wiki public service thingy? I've been wanting to do it since I've been editing the wiki for a bit now- I wrote a lion's share of the new pages for the Spit iib and the V-156-B1, and I'm planning on going back and re-editing them and making them top-notch quality, maybe with a few replays as well.

medal medal medal

1 minute ago, Aussie_Mantis said:

Cheers. I'm doing a few edits for the V-156-B1 page rn for realistic battles, so I'll see ya soon! Also, any updates on the wiki public service thingy?

Applications have been flowing in (lots of interested people, I mean LOTS), we are in the process of divvying up the workload, hopefully we will be able to get word out soon about starting!!

3 minutes ago, Aussie_Mantis said:

I'm planning on going back and re-editing them and making them top-notch quality, maybe with a few replays as well.

Awesome, I look forward to seeing them!

medal medal medal

3 hours ago, AN_TRN_26 said:

Applications have been flowing in (lots of interested people, I mean LOTS), we are in the process of divvying up the workload, hopefully we will be able to get word out soon about starting!!

Awesome, I look forward to seeing them!

Oh, also, is there a place for another MEC guide? I have a google doc with MEC settings and stuff like that compiled for various planes over time. They're still WIP but I have a good summary of the basic mechanis.

medal medal medal

2 hours ago, blastedryan said:

I'd say as long as it has useful information that isnt covered anywhere else in the wiki go ahead and make a new page.

If it is on the wiki try to expand the existing page first.

Checked the wiki. The page is awesomely done! Do you think they'll let us call dibs on war thunder wiki pages once the thingy starts? I've contributed a lot to the pages on the Spit iib, Vb/trop and the V-156-B1 and I'd like to take charge of the F4U-1A (USMC), C.202EC and Hali IIIa's pages too (those aircraft are aircraft that I have some skill with.)

medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Aussie_Mantis said:

Do you think they'll let us call dibs on war thunder wiki pages once the thingy starts? I've contributed a lot to the pages on the Spit iib, Vb/trop and the V-156-B1 and I'd like to take charge of the F4U-1A (USMC), C.202EC and Hali IIIa's pages too (those aircraft are aircraft that I have some skill with.)

There is the template {{Writing|~~~~}} which produces this:

g8eHLUF.png

Here's the description for it:

If you are actively editing an article, then a situation may arise when two or more participants simultaneously try to change its text. The consequences are very different: from editing conflicts (the inability to save the text of the article due to simultaneous changes of the article by other participants) to the war of revisions. Installing a template on an article allows you to warn other participants to refrain from editing them until the template is removed.

This template is used to substitute the notice that this article is edited by this member, as well as the current date. The article is automatically affixed to the category "Articles in the work . "

Use: paste the code {{Writing|~~~~}} at the beginning of the article.

I don't think I've seen anyone use it yet. If you do use it you should probably be planning on editing the page relatively soon (as opposed to calling dibs on an article then leaving it untouched for a year)

Edited by Flame2512
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

21 minutes ago, Flame2512 said:

I don't think I've seen anyone use it yet. If you do use it you should probably be planning on editing the page relatively soon (as opposed to calling dibs on an article then leaving it untouched for a year)

This template has only been used a few times so far, but that is the purpose of the template to notify others that a pages is being worked on. We want to avoid someone dropping 10 - 15 of those at a time and then we have a wiki full of those and people will feel they can't contribute if all the pages they want to work on has one of those notifications. I think one or two at a time would be fine, especially if they are closely related. Something I have done when working on a page I don't want anyone messing with until I am ready to post it is to keep a copy of the code in Notepad++ and just copy/paste it to a blank wiki page, work on it and then copy/paste back to Notepad++ and when finished I then post it for all to read/edit. I am not sure what the time limit is for those notifications before others can jump in and work on it, definitely don't want to have one of those sitting on a page for 6 months with no work/updates being done, but still "saved" for User X to work on.

1 hour ago, Aussie_Mantis said:

Checked the wiki. The page is awesomely done! Do you think they'll let us call dibs on war thunder wiki pages once the thingy starts? I've contributed a lot to the pages on the Spit iib, Vb/trop and the V-156-B1 and I'd like to take charge of the F4U-1A (USMC), C.202EC and Hali IIIa's pages too (those aircraft are aircraft that I have some skill with.)

Right now it seems that 75% of the edits are against ground vehicles, about 20% against aircraft and 5% against fleet vehicles and a majority of those edits are just minor editing, pros/cons and such. I would recommend picking the vehicle you are most excited about writing and working on that one first and then work down the list as you go. If someone else happens to work on one of your favorites, I am sure there will still be room for you to add information, images or fix code (clean up formatting) which will make the page that much better. 

medal medal medal

2 hours ago, AN_TRN_26 said:

This template has only been used a few times so far, but that is the purpose of the template to notify others that a pages is being worked on. We want to avoid someone dropping 10 - 15 of those at a time and then we have a wiki full of those and people will feel they can't contribute if all the pages they want to work on has one of those notifications. I think one or two at a time would be fine, especially if they are closely related. Something I have done when working on a page I don't want anyone messing with until I am ready to post it is to keep a copy of the code in Notepad++ and just copy/paste it to a blank wiki page, work on it and then copy/paste back to Notepad++ and when finished I then post it for all to read/edit. I am not sure what the time limit is for those notifications before others can jump in and work on it, definitely don't want to have one of those sitting on a page for 6 months with no work/updates being done, but still "saved" for User X to work on.

Right now it seems that 75% of the edits are against ground vehicles, about 20% against aircraft and 5% against fleet vehicles and a majority of those edits are just minor editing, pros/cons and such. I would recommend picking the vehicle you are most excited about writing and working on that one first and then work down the list as you go. If someone else happens to work on one of your favorites, I am sure there will still be room for you to add information, images or fix code (clean up formatting) which will make the page that much better. 

I've pretty much written the current Spit IIB page and V-156-B1 page single-handedly, so I'm content to leave that to the others. However, I'm currently editing the Vb/trop and Vb pages as well as writing preliminary drafts for the Halifax (my first "aced" aircraft)

Also, Why am I being called U:blahblahnumberblah instead of Aussie_Mantis on the wiki?

medal medal medal

8 minutes ago, Aussie_Mantis said:

Also, Why am I being called U:blahblahnumberblah instead of Aussie_Mantis on the wiki?

That is how the wiki keeps track of everyone, by their "U" number, but it will post as you "nick name" when you use ~~~~ for a signature. The only place where it does not translate is when page edits are undone.

medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2019 at 20:30, blackbeard_teach said:

what pisses me off is that i saw 3(2015 , 2018, and this )version of unofficial bombing chart, and non seemly from the Devs, when i am 100% sure they have the numbers stored somewhere and beautifully complied data.

or was the guy who first made it in contact with a Game master?

anyhow, good job and good luck

you mean my 2019 version?

medal medal medal

On 27/10/2019 at 06:30, blackbeard_teach said:

what pisses me off is that i saw 3(2015 , 2018, and this )version of unofficial bombing chart, and non seemly from the Devs, when i am 100% sure they have the numbers stored somewhere and beautifully complied data.

or was the guy who first made it in contact with a Game master?

anyhow, good job and good luck

That was made by the old wiki admin supposedly with help from Gaijin.

medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Flame2512 said:

What info did this bombing chart show?

I think he's referring to the old template on the wiki with all the bombs available and their explosive mass, tnt equivalent, explosion radius, fragmentation radius, and armor penetration.

medal medal medal