Sign in to follow this  
Private_Wolk

De Grasse (1956)

De Grasse (1956)  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the De Grasse (1956) implemented in the French Naval Tech Tree?

• Yes
    • No (explain)
  2. 2. How should the De Grasse (1956) be implemented in the French Naval Tech Tree?

• Regular Tree
    • Premium
    • Event Vehicle

De Grasse (1956)

jQgZwac.jpg

Introduction:

Hello folks, today's suggestion is on the De Grasse, a unique light cruiser meant to function in the anti-aircraft role. With the complaints of aircraft rampant in naval RB I thought it would be nice to have a useful deterrent especially for the upcoming French naval forces which will likely struggle in the AA department similar to their Japanese counterparts. The De Grasse aircraft remover will not disappoint with its deadly mixture of 127 and 57mm auto-cannons complete with proximity fuze rounds. Changed from a traditional light cruiser design after World War 2 the De Grasse is capable of obtaining high speeds up to 33 knots and has a generous armor package surrounding its most vital areas. In War Thunder this vessel may serve as an effective mid-tier complement to the future French cruiser line with firepower unmatched by its contemporaries.

History:

The De Grasse has an interesting history unlike most other French naval vessels. The ship's original design dates back to the 1930s when proposed as the lead ship of its own class succeeding the La Galissonniere cruiser class. French high command wanted improved AA batteries for its modern fleet and the roster of few 13.2mm machine guns and 37mm cannons wasn't cutting it. The De Grasse used an improved superstructure capable of sustaining additional gun batteries also leading to a heavier overall weight. Construction started sometime in August 1939 and was about 28% complete by the time the Invasion of France occurred. The occupying German forces under the Kriegsmarine considered turning the unfinished De Grasse hull into an auxiliary aircraft carrier however work on the conversion halted in early 1943 owing to a variety of reasons. Materials shortage was apparent and French workers were reluctant to work for a country they still considered their enemy even going as far as to hide building components in the bottom hull of the ship. The De Gasse was hit twice by allied bombs during German occupation and finally re-captured by French forces on the 9th of May, 1945. Construction resumed in 1946 with a new design emphasizing greater anti-air support for the navy which had since shown its value during the war. De Grasse was moved to Brest in 1951 to complete work on the re-conversion process and subsequently commissioned on the 10th of September, 1956. She would serve a grand 17 years as the flagship of the Mediterranean squadron before being retired in January 1974 as the command research vessel under the Pacific Experimentation Centre.

fpxo05T.jpg

Specifications:

Displacement: 9389 tons

Length: 188.3 m

Beam: 21.5 m

Draft: 5.54 m

Installed Power: 4 x Indret boilers 2 x shafts

Propulsion: 2 x Rateau-Bretagne geared steam turbines, 52000 hp (39,149 kw) each 

Speed: 33.8 knots

Crew: 950 men

Armor:

Belt: 100mm

Deck: 38mm

Bulkheads: 60mm

Armament:

8 x 12.7 cm guns (8 x 2)

10 x 57 mm/60 Bofors auto-cannons (10 x 2)

(All guns are stabilized)

DRBI10 fire-control radar

Sources:

Edited by Private_Wolk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal

My thinking
1 ) Keep the de Grasse into his 1936 or 1938 project

here the 1936
image.php?id=401&file=1939_programme_38_

2 ) Offer the Colbert ( her sister ship )  has the super-fancy  post WW2 cruiser

large.jpg

Edited by sam_dom
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, sam_dom said:

My thinking
1 ) Keep the de Grasse into his 1936 or 1938 project

here the 1936
image.php?id=401&file=1939_programme_38_

2 ) Offer the Colbert ( her sister ship )  has the super-fancy  post WW2 cruiser

large.jpg

On that note I'd rather go with the paper Saint Louis class simply because of historical precedent. While yes, the De Grasse was originally envisioned much differently, the French ultimately decided to change the fundamental design to suit a different purpose post-war.  When and if anti-ship missiles are added the Colbert might make for an interesting addition on its own.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

On 31/10/2019 at 17:23, Private_Wolk said:

On that note I'd rather go with the paper Saint Louis class simply because of historical precedent. While yes, the De Grasse was originally envisioned much differently, the French ultimately decided to change the fundamental design to suit a different purpose post-war.  When and if anti-ship missiles are added the Colbert might make for an interesting addition on its own.

Let me explain my point .
1 ) The la Galissonnière ( our better ww2  light cruiser ) is  a  "small  " cruiser of 76000 tons .
They have a lot of limits in the design of the la Galissonnière &  i fear we need a "better " design for the tech tree

2 ) The Saint louis is similar in size  to the Baltimore class  of heavy cruiser

• Upvote 1

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.