Centurion MK10 Changes

Just a heads up for all the players of the Centurion MK10, the armour thickness has changed for some parts of the armour array

- Gun Mantlet was once 200mm thick being Cast Homogeneous it has an actual thickness of something like 188mm thick this has now been reduced to 152mm of Cast Homogeneous armour now leaving the Centurion MK10 with a 145mm thick gun mantlet. This means the Turret is much weaker so Hull Down isn't a viable means anymore

- On a better note the Centurion's appliqué armour was increased in thickness from 41mm to 51mm @ 57° along with the 76.2mm armour beneath at 57° providing close to 265mm of glacis protection which is now proof against the T-54's 100mm D-10T APCBC/HE round (need to do further tests for other tank guns)

Not sure if these changes are improvements or not since we lose Turret Protection for Hull protection however it MIGHT make brawling a little better although the rest of the tank is still much more vulnerable 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, *Hurricanefire32 said:

On a better note the Centurion's appliqué armour was increased in thickness from 41mm to 51mm @ 57° along with the 76.2mm armour beneath at 57° providing close to 265mm of glacis protection which is now proof against the T-54's 100mm D-10T APCBC/HE round (need to do further tests for other tank guns)

This is done due my efforts in hope Cent 10 would become slightly better

https://forum.warthunder.ru/index.php?/topic/271939-191047-centurion-mk-10-oshibka-vld/

But the mantlet nerf completely destroyed the tank, Cent10's turret is now MUCH WEAKER than Cent3's one.

There's no point of playing it at all now.

2 hours ago, USVIKILLER said:

Has the holes in its mantlet been fixed?

No

• Sad 1
medal medal medal medal medal

29 minutes ago, erilon03 said:

https://forum.warthunder.ru/index.php?/topic/271939-191047-centurion-mk-10-oshibka-vld/

But the mantlet nerf completely destroyed the tank, Cent10's turret is now MUCH WEAKER than Cent3's one.

No

behind the mantle should be another layer of armor.

vqr2XrIEMCY.jpg

mzGdCCgCc7c.jpg

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

1 hour ago, erilon03 said:

I dislike this change, and it is ridiculous that a Wirbelwind was able to kill my gunner through armor holes the other night, but I can't say that the thinner mantlet really matters much...most guns that UK 7.0 faces had no problem at all penetrating the old 200mm mantlet anyway (or the Cent Mk3 or Caernarvon for that matter).  Were you routinely able to go hull down and let German long 88s or even Soviet 122s fire at your turret and survive? I wasn't.

Like nearly every medium tank in the game under the BR system, the key to survival in the Centurion Mk10 is to avoid getting hit by its peers. IMO it is still better than the Brit 20lb gun tanks because it yeets Tiger 2s through the hull much more easily. Wednesday night I one-shot a German M48 through the LFP from 1800m on the Poland map with the L7 APDS...fired from the Vickers MBT, but same awesome gun.

Edited by MattS93
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

If this isn't a secondary source good enough for them then I truly have lost faith in the competency of the developers.

http://tanks.mod16.org/pdf/Centurion mk 10 datasheet and drawings.pdf

Centurion mk 10 datasheet and drawings.pdf

Edited by USVIKILLER
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

10 hours ago, USVIKILLER said:

Armour Holes are still present unfortunately, I doubt that they would bother to change the Mantlet back to a higher thickness now they've changed it.

8 hours ago, erilon03 said:

No

The Centurion MK3 despite having a thicker gun mantlet (200mm central mantlet, 160mm thick curved pieces) it is much smaller in profile in game to the Centurion MK10's meaning the surrounding Turret Front at 89mm is much easier to target and thus penetrate whereas the Centurion MK10 has a larger mantlet so its supposed to protect more of the turret front than on the Centurion MK3 however the armour is flat and now been reduced decreasing its effectiveness quite signifcantly.

7 hours ago, MattS93 said:

I dislike this change, and it is ridiculous that a Wirbelwind was able to kill my gunner through armor holes the other night, but I can't say that the thinner mantlet really matters much...most guns that UK 7.0 faces had no problem at all penetrating the old 200mm mantlet anyway (or the Cent Mk3 or Caernarvon for that matter).  Were you routinely able to go hull down and let German long 88s or even Soviet 122s fire at your turret and survive? I wasn't.

Like nearly every medium tank in the game under the BR system, the key to survival in the Centurion Mk10 is to avoid getting hit by its peers. IMO it is still better than the Brit 20lb gun tanks because it yeets Tiger 2s through the hull much more easily. Wednesday night I one-shot a German M48 through the LFP from 1800m on the Poland map with the L7 APDS...fired from the Vickers MBT, but same awesome gun.

The 200mm mantlet provided greater protection against tanks in lower BR's mainly 6.3 tanks. T-44's APCBC/HE round could not penetrate the 200mm thick mantlet now however it can, additionally the Panther G / Panther F can also now reliably cut through the mantlet as well.

Essentially what this has done is made a tank which is strong against some tanks in the 6.7 weaker between 5.7 - 7.7 allowing weaker tanks to cut through easier. On the plus side the glacis seems to be capable of withstand some attacks namely

- 88mm KWK 43 is incapable of penetrating at any range firing standard PzGr 39/43

- 128mm PAK 44 cannot penetrate between 600m - 1000m+ however has a 50% change between 0m - 500m

- 85mm ZIS-S-53 is incapable at any range alongside T-44's BR-367 APCBC/HE.

- 122mm D-25T is strange with the BR-471B is capable of cutting through between 0m - 1100m however the Br-471D shell on the IS-3 cannot penetrate the Glacis nor can the IS-6's upgrade 122mm shell. 

- 100mm D-10T can no longer penetrate the glacis at any range however APDS or HEAT-FS will result in a penetration. 

15 minutes ago, *Hurricanefire32 said:

- 122mm D-25T is strange with the BR-471B is capable of cutting through between 0m - 1100m however the Br-471D shell on the IS-3 cannot penetrate the Glacis nor can the IS-6's upgrade 122mm shell. 

That's the hidden slope modifier unique to russian APHEBC shells in action. )))))

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

152mm mantlet is correct and historical, but the model is missing a rather thick (8"/200mm) trunnion block (I would assume not armour grade steel).

The document linked above for the Swedish centurions is useless as the diagrams are not for the improved mantlet design, but the prior mk.3 style one.

There is a document in the archives at Kew about the Mk 8 Resilient Mantlet that should confirm the existence and specifications of the trunnion block. The photo of it above is from this document, but is fairly useless if its thickness and steel grade are not known.

Honestly I can live with this armor nerf, if they'd just fix the armor holes that let people kill my gunner constantly with coaxial machine gun fire!

Does anyone know if that bug has been formally reported?

medal medal medal

43 minutes ago, MattS93 said:

Honestly I can live with this armor nerf, if they'd just fix the armor holes that let people kill my gunner constantly with coaxial machine gun fire!

Does anyone know if that bug has been formally reported?

Reported twice recently at RU forum as well as missing trunion block behind the mantlet. No reaction.

1 hour ago, erilon03 said:

Reported twice recently at RU forum as well as missing trunion block behind the mantlet. No reaction.

Thank you!

I can see why they might slow roll the missing armor behind the mantlet for "balance" purposes, but having the gunner get killed by MG and autocannon fire is just silly.

Edited by MattS93
Typo
  • Like 1
medal medal medal

Further news on the Centurion MK10 is that the repair cost has been inflated to a massive 10,002 Lions now making playing the Centurion MK10 a risk in terms of lions additionally Centurion MK3 is now 8,094 Lions to repair alongside APDS costs as well this is also similar Lions to Caenarvon which is a Heavy Tank at the same tier of 6.7

These prices have definately been increased making Britains few decent high tier tanks a financial risk to play. Just for reference sake the Centurion MK10 costs 10,002 Lions for a repair whilst the T-54 1951 costs a minimal 3,000 to repair, Leopard 1 costs 1,800 to repair, M46 costs 2,810. 

How the Centurion MK10 warrents a 10K repair cost when its APDS and HESH ammo are extremely unreliable and its armour is questionable a best I don't know. 

Edited by *Hurricanefire32
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, *Hurricanefire32 said:

Further news on the Centurion MK10 is that the repair cost has been inflated to a massive 10,002 Lions now making playing the Centurion MK10 a risk in terms of lions additionally Centurion MK3 is now 8,094 Lions to repair alongside APDS costs as well this is also similar Lions to Caenarvon which is a Heavy Tank at the same tier of 6.7

These prices have definately been increased making Britains few decent high tier tanks a financial risk to play. Just for reference sake the Centurion MK10 costs 10,002 Lions for a repair whilst the T-54 1951 costs a minimal 3,000 to repair, Leopard 1 costs 1,800 to repair, M46 costs 2,810. 

How the Centurion MK10 warrents a 10K repair cost when its APDS and HESH ammo are extremely unreliable and its armour is questionable a best I don't know. 

The mk10 of the centurion means 10k repair cost :lol2:

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1
medal

The developers have been doing a very bad armor modeling job for quite some time now, you just have to see the shield of the mantle of some shermans firefly, that of the centurions, m48 and m60, they are plagued with faults in the armor that seriously affect their performance, for example the tablecloth of some firefly is completely different from those of others when that is completely impossible, or the case of the m60a1 with a shield of tablecloth penetrable by a panther. The truth is that I have no hope in these developers because They only think about making money doing the least possible job, and those only leads to how the game is now, with very few players and having to do events to keep the few that remain.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

12 minutes ago, erilon03 said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vRBsYM7rSnReQXLKqAbgGs4IPUvV8AXaHgqslcnaGzjINWpaq0yGvHRBFFoX2_TDdXyG_FFkvg5g-Ju/pubhtml#

Centurion 10 / Vickers moved to 7.3, like recent huge mantlet nerf wasn't enough for them.

F .... this ....t

so nerf it then move it up yea.... sensible.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yuuzhang said:

So the mantlet armour of the Cents get nerfed, making them have a weaker turret. And suddenly Gaijn adds a cent with a "strong turret". I mean is it just me or do these things seem connected?

Thing is that'll be 6.7 as it's only got the 20lb its also more like the FV4202

Edited by TerikG2014