Current EC Bugs

As russian EC forum is a forsaken place never visited by developers, I decided to make a crosspost here about current EC bugs. I'm talking only about obvious game errors here, not about questionable design decisions (so, zomberspam or AAA aren't discussed).
Some of the bugs mentioned may be not EC related but of more general nature. 

So:

1. Rubberbanding. Happens almost every session, usually multiply times per session. Usually 2 - 3 jumps back in time during like 5 seconds. Missiles shot during rubberbanding fly in funny zigzags.

2. Frame drops. Usually happens in sessions with heavy rubberbanding. Feels like FPS drops to 10-15 frames, while ingame FPS, ping and packet loss indicators doesn't show anything.

3. Bugged ghost sessions. Sometimes you can see a session with enough empty slots, but if you try to join, you will actually join another "ghost" session on this same map. This "ghost" session doesn't have own label in lobby, but can be accessed 100% of time if someone tries to join original session. On the contrary, original session is displayed on lobby, but you can never join it after it was "mirrored". Extreme case of mirroring is when sessions aren't completely separated and you can be killed by invisible ghost enemy or see in chat that invisible enemies take off, die, or score frags (only happened once).

4. Forced dismount. Sometimes all (or most) of players in heavily lagged session are removed from airplanes and placed in respawn menu. This doesn't count as death. I don't remember if plane lock timer starts after this. [correction from j0hen - plane IS locked after dismount and death IS recorded in general statistics, but not in mission stats].

5. Planes falling through airstrip. Plane gets stuck in textures under the runway. It doesn't get destroyed, but in fact is locked till the end of a mission. Re-entering mission or game doesn't help. You can choose different plane and fly as usual, but if you try to hop back into the bugged one - it is still bugged. Extreme case: today my teammate got stuck under the runway just after joining EC mission (he didn't even choose any plane or airfield, game did it for him).

6. Whole server sees messages about Phantom trying to shoot through its own gear. Those messages may or may not be true (probably false), but they clearly indicate that there is a Phantom and he is shooting at the moment.

7. Doing an objective "Destroy enemy column" gives score to an enemy. As described. If you do this objective, your team loses tickets, enemy team gains team score.

8. Columns often get stuck (or partially stuck). Additionally, there is no clear logic when they are flagged as "reached the destination" and what are the consequences (but this looks like design flaw, not bug).

9. Bots start in helicopters and crash. Doesn't happen much recently with more people (and less bots) in sessions. Still, they start in vehicles which are not accessible by players (design flaw) and hopelessly crash (this is bug, if vehicle is on the map - it should work).

10. Air objectives on Afganistan are bugged. Air objectives can respawn outside of map boundary and sometimes don't even enter the actual battlefield until their timer runs out and they are flagged as "saved". Sometimes they enter the battlefield to almost immediately turn back and leave the map (flagged as "saved"). Assault planes often crash into the mountains and you see like 3 assault planes returning after the attack, while noone was shooting them (default assault formation is 9 planes). I would suggest to remove Afganistan from EC rotation until this is fixed, because this map now is really random.

11. (borderline design flaw) Shooting airfield modules with rockets may be more profitable than dropping bombs on it. Shooting airfield with full load of unguided rockets from Il-28Sh gives 2 - 3 times more personal points and respawn points than dropping 3000 kg bomb on it. Same goes for Phantom. I don't see logical explanation for it and I think it is just some kind of bug with hit registration, not a poor design decision.

Fix this and EC quality will improve dramatically.

Edited by NebeI
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal

It is start, need everyone to put anything down they thing is bug.

Only reply what I experience

On 29/09/2019 at 14:13, NebeI said:

As russian EC forum is a forsaken place never visited by developers, I decided to make a crosspost here about current EC bugs. I'm talking only about obvious game errors here, not about questionable design decisions (so, zomberspam or AAA aren't discussed).
Some of the bugs mentioned may be not EC related but of more general nature. 

So:

1. Rubberbanding. Happens almost every session, usually multiply times per session. Usually 2 - 3 jumps back in time during like 5 seconds. Missiles shot during rubberbanding fly in funny zigzags.

2. Frame drops. Usually happens in sessions with heavy rubberbanding. Feels like FPS drops to 10-15 frames, while ingame FPS, ping and packet loss indicators doesn't show anything.

3. Bugged ghost sessions. Sometimes you can see a session with enough empty slots, but if you try to join, you will actually join another "ghost" session on this same map. This "ghost" session doesn't have own label in lobby, but can be accessed 100% of time if someone tries to join original session. On the contrary, original session is displayed on lobby, but you can never join it after it was "mirrored". Extreme case of mirroring is when sessions aren't completely separated and you can be killed by invisible ghost enemy or see in chat that invisible enemies take off, die, or score frags (only happened once).

4. Forced dismount. Sometimes all (or most) of players in heavily lagged session are removed from airplanes and placed in respawn menu. This doesn't count as death. I don't remember if plane lock timer starts after this. [correction from j0hen - plane IS locked after dismount and death IS recorded in general statistics, but not in mission stats].

5. Planes falling through airstrip. Plane gets stuck in textures under the runway. It doesn't get destroyed, but in fact is locked till the end of a mission. Re-entering mission or game doesn't help. You can choose different plane and fly as usual, but if you try to hop back into the bugged one - it is still bugged. Extreme case: today my teammate got stuck under the runway just after joining EC mission (he didn't even choose any plane or airfield, game did it for him).

(never experienced any of above)

6. Whole server sees messages about Phantom trying to shoot through its own gear. Those messages may or may not be true (probably false), but they clearly indicate that there is a Phantom and he is shooting at the moment.

Reported bug.

7. Doing an objective "Destroy enemy column" gives score to an enemy. As described. If you do this objective, your team loses tickets, enemy team gains team score.

WOW, need to look at this. 

8. Columns often get stuck (or partially stuck). Additionally, there is no clear logic when they are flagged as "reached the destination" and what are the consequences (but this looks like design flaw, not bug).

Reported bug.

9. Bots start in helicopters and crash. Doesn't happen much recently with more people (and less bots) in sessions. Still, they start in vehicles which are not accessible by players (design flaw) and hopelessly crash (this is bug, if vehicle is on the map - it should work).

Reported bug.

Also applies with aircraft.  Actually a years old bug.

10. Air objectives on Afganistan are bugged. Air objectives can respawn outside of map boundary and sometimes don't even enter the actual battlefield until their timer runs out and they are flagged as "saved". Sometimes they enter the battlefield to almost immediately turn back and leave the map (flagged as "saved"). Assault planes often crash into the mountains and you see like 3 assault planes returning after the attack, while noone was shooting them (default assault formation is 9 planes). I would suggest to remove Afganistan from EC rotation until this is fixed, because this map now is really random.

will check...

11. (borderline design flaw) Shooting airfield modules with rockets may be more profitable than dropping bombs on it. Shooting airfield with full load of unguided rockets from Il-28Sh gives 2 - 3 times more personal points and respawn points than dropping 3000 kg bomb on it. Same goes for Phantom. I don't see logical explanation for it and I think it is just some kind of bug with hit registration, not a poor design decision.

Is discussed, but may not be reported yet.

The 2x for bombs on AF are reported.

Also:

• Aircraft do not render, just a pilot and propeller seen.

what else.....

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 29/09/2019 at 22:13, NebeI said:

This session https://warthunder.ru/ru/tournament/replay/24250566474744249

Full session, heavy rubberbanding, dismount, complete desync (people who stayed in session didn't see each other), frontline corrupted.

War Thunder Screenshot 2019.10.04 - 22.26.05.55.png

• Haha 1
medal medal medal medal

15 hours ago, NebeI said:

This session https://warthunder.ru/ru/tournament/replay/24250566474744249

Full session, heavy rubberbanding, dismount, complete desync (people who stayed in session didn't see each other), frontline corrupted.

War Thunder Screenshot 2019.10.04 - 22.26.05.55.png

Is this from yesterday? I might have been in that match but left because of the rubberbanding and fps drops. My Aim-9s where just going zig zag and 3 out of 4 did not track at all with good tone and the target going straight. I landed my F-4 left and went into DCS. 

medal medal medal

GHOST DOTS. This is honestly such an old bug i can't believe it hasn't been fixed. Basically dots that look like very far away fast moving/high altitude planes but are often outside of the map and will rubberband back and repeat the same path over and over. Also getting the forced eject timer in a critically damaged plane is still an issue though i suspect i'm the only one experiencing it since nobody else is complaining about it.

Server lag/fps drops are a way bigger issue and need to be fixed immediately though. They're making the game borderline unplayable atm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5
medal

17 minutes ago, Tamamonomae said:

GHOST DOTS. This is honestly such an old bug i can't believe it hasn't been fixed. Basically dots that look like very far away fast moving/high altitude planes but are often outside of the map and will rubberband back and repeat the same path over and over. Also getting the forced eject timer in a critically damaged plane is still an issue though i suspect i'm the only one experiencing it since nobody else is complaining about it.

I've talked about the ghost dots before. Lately I've been noticing some that aren't at extreme altitudes. They are still very far away, but at a similar altitude as you. One of them almost seemed like it was a mirror of what my plane was doing, just very far out. it was strange. I saw them a few different times on the English Channel map. I was about to go after them, and I realized they were way out of bounds. It's kind of annoying, but not as much as the high alt ghost dots that you chase for 10 minutes before noticing it dragged you off the map.

When I first started playing SB, there was no forced eject that I can remember. Is this a new thing? Because I've been experiencing it a lot lately, and I think it is a feature that has no business being in SIM. Seems like it's happened a lot in the past few weeks, where I take damage but I can still fly the plane, and I get forced out of the plane.

medal medal

3 minutes ago, bearchills said:

When I first started playing SB, there was no forced eject that I can remember. Is this a new thing? Because I've been experiencing it a lot lately, and I think it is a feature that has no business being in SIM. Seems like it's happened a lot in the past few weeks, where I take damage but I can still fly the plane, and I get forced out of the plane.

Well i'm glad at least one other person is experiencing it. I posted a thread a year ago but nobody seemed to know what i was talking about. Back then it was only once in a while but now it seems like every single time i lose a wing i get the forced eject timer.

Lately it's been happening consistently if i rip a wing in a F-86 due to over-g, even if the plane is still fully controllable it'll still boot me out. The sad part is this doesn't even happen in RB i've only experienced it in sim EC, the one place where it shouldn't be happening.

• Upvote 1
medal

Ghost dots are so common I forgot to add it to the list, my bad. BTW they kinda appear less recently. 
If the list can be corrected by mods (please), I would add:

12. Ghost dots. Dots looking like a dot from distant airplane sometimes appear inside or outside of boundary of the map. "Outside" dots are usually stationary (or they are just infinitively far away). "Inside" ghost dots are especially confusing, because they have speed and trajectory and often look like a diving plane. Upon reaching ground they reappear on the same height and keep diving on the same trajectory. Subdivision of ghost dots: ghost vapor conuses. Sometimes you see vapor cone flying without plane in it (I still didn't determine if it is invisible plane or de-attached effect, more like de-attached effect).

Edited by NebeI
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

5 hours ago, NebeI said:

Subdivision of ghost dots: ghost vapor conuses. Sometimes you see vapor cone flying without plane in it (I still didn't determine if it is invisible plane or de-attached effect, more like de-attached effect).

Oh yeah, I've encountered those too. I'm always like, "Oh crap, here we go". Then I get closer, the vapor trail stops moving, and I pass by a stationary vapor trail. 
I know people have talked about invisible planes before. I do not believe this is the same thing. 

• Upvote 2
medal medal

I think we are getting lag-spikes again. Game goes normally and then out of the blue it freezes for like 5s. When it happens in combat it usually end up in crash.

I know couple of friends experience same issues recently and they are not all at the same time for everyone. I had cases when game lagged for me and my wingman was not experiencing it or the other way around.

Do you also have this problem? I think it started just before 1.91

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

5 hours ago, przybysz86 said:

I think we are getting lag-spikes again. Game goes normally and then out of the blue it freezes for like 5s. When it happens in combat it usually end up in crash.

I know couple of friends experience same issues recently and they are not all at the same time for everyone. I had cases when game lagged for me and my wingman was not experiencing it or the other way around.

Do you also have this problem? I think it started just before 1.91

Yeah! A friend of mine and I do get sudden lag spikes and the plane jolts back and forth.  Doesnt happen often but ever since the patch, it happens constantly. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal

6 hours ago, przybysz86 said:

Do you also have this problem?

Yes. It's really freaking annoying. It's been happening very frequently in my games. I've noticed it in jet games more than anything else. 
Idk about you're experiences, but I feel compelled to mention/complain about it in game anytime it happens. There are always multiple people who say they experienced it too

medal medal

On 06/10/2019 at 18:13, bearchills said:

Oh yeah, I've encountered those too. I'm always like, "Oh crap, here we go". Then I get closer, the vapor trail stops moving, and I pass by a stationary vapor trail. 
I know people have talked about invisible planes before. I do not believe this is the same thing. 

No it's not, with invisible planes you usually can still see single elements of the plane, like the pilot or the canopy. 

I have encountered both several times now. Invisible planes are more "visible" than the stationary vapor trails

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 29/09/2019 at 14:13, NebeI said:

3. Bugged ghost sessions. Sometimes you can see a session with enough empty slots, but if you try to join, you will actually join another "ghost" session on this same map. This "ghost" session doesn't have own label in lobby, but can be accessed 100% of time if someone tries to join original session. On the contrary, original session is displayed on lobby, but you can never join it after it was "mirrored". Extreme case of mirroring is when sessions aren't completely separated and you can be killed by invisible ghost enemy or see in chat that invisible enemies take off, die, or score frags (only happened once)

Probably similar:

Tried to join match which stated near same number of players (+1), but on Join it said it was not enough on other side, then moved selection to another match (or top of list?).

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody else notice airfields blinking for no reason?

I notice it all the time, specifically when I'm having trouble finding people to shoot. I go to these blinking fields to find the threat, and there's nobody anywhere, yet they keep blinking.

Last night, multiple times, I chased down every dot anywhere near these blinking AFs. Every time it was just a friendly bot. I'm wondering if there is a bug that falsely identifies certain bots, like helicopters, as enemies. But only in regard to making the base blink, not shooting at them or anything. 

medal medal

1 hour ago, McSlash said:

Could there be a ground battle within a grid or two?

yeah - if there is battle nearby sometimes rounds fired by tanks and howitzers land near AF. This gives ground crew heart attack and AF starts blinking.

3 hours ago, McSlash said:

Could there be a ground battle within a grid or two?

Nope. Not in my most recent experience.

2 hours ago, przybysz86 said:

..sometimes rounds fired by tanks and howitzers land near AF. This gives ground crew heart attack and AF starts blinking.

Is this for real? If so, that's stupid. The blinking is supposed to signify an airborne threat, I thought. 
I'll have to pay closer attention, but I don't believe that was the case last night. How ridiculous. Gaijin strikes again.

medal medal

3 hours ago, NebeI said:

AF blinks even if you just fly over it, check if it is empty and proceed to another AF. 

maybe there was this "ghost plane" nearby? Sometimes when plane gets destroyed you can see poof of smoke levitating and emitting engine noise. Maybe AF see it as enemy fighter since I've seen cases when bomber gunners tracked this ghost as if it was plane

On 30/09/2019 at 03:13, NebeI said:

Doing an objective "Destroy enemy column" gives score to an enemy.

Also applies to attackers.

On 30/09/2019 at 03:13, NebeI said:

Frame drops.

In particular with missiles. Apparently the framerate drops to an exact division of my monitor framerate (75) so it can drop to 37, 25 and 18 for example interestingly. Effects console players too and has been reported.

I've got video evidence for a lot of bugs in this thread on my channel but I'm not going to search them up right now because I'm in a game ;)

Another thing I've been noticing a Lot lately is that I'm forced to spawn at the same location despite choosing another available airfield.
It doesn't seem to happen for all aircraft, and I don't really know if there's any rhyme or reason when it happens, but it's been a pretty major annoyance.
It's one thing if you land and rearm/repair, then are locked to that airfield. That I could understand.
But if you crash or get shot down, you should be able to choose to spawn at any available field. Lately I'm flying the F9F-8, and every time I am forced to spawn on the field that I first flew from, for the entire game. Of course, if I fly another plane, I can spawn somewhere else (sometimes), but get back in the cougar and I'm forced back to that first base despite choosing an alternate location.

Edited by bearchills
medal medal

@lastGrayAngel welcome back. I hope you had a good time off :)

I know that upcoming
1.93 update will be priority now but if you have time then maybe you can check the list of problems and possible improvements we've put together. I know some fixes are in the pipe-line but since problem currently still exits, you will find those on the list.

I also know that not every single point will be 100% in your area of expertise but they are all more or less related to mission design and you will surely know better who in GJ to ask about it.

Following list was gathered based on inputs from this forum and from SB community discord channel and I've done my best to put most pressing items on top but this is already short list of what is commonly considered most important:

1. double tonnage bug - I know fix was announced but still not there. This have massive consequence as it give double reward to zombers (promoting bomber spam), makes games last much shorter and basically destroys whole economy of RP, SL and SP rewards for EC. FIXED

2. AF guardians hopeless against enemy bombers. They either do not attack or do it so badly and so late that enemy is usually dead before they react of they get killed before they do anything. We also had reports of them ignoring bombers and focusing on fighters. Given that suicide bombers are biggest issue now, guardians should be more aggressive and focus on targets with largest bombload

3. AAA is not accurate enough to kill jets. Well - not just jets. Anything flying above 750km/h is immune to AAA. In rank 5 and 6 games going 800 or even 1000km/h is not that big of a deal so most of the time enemy planes can just strafe AF and fly away. Maybe some radar guided AA for jet maps could help. And how about SAM manpads, etc?
It would also help if on all maps we get AAA ring say 200-500m way  the airfield to intercept incoming suicide bombers (they usually fly at less than 2km altitude). It would be historical - for example Germany built flak-alleys to cover Me-262 on final approach.

EDIT (based on further discussion): AAA do hit planes but is still often not strong enough to deter enemy from AF strafing

4. strange economy reward calculation. For example using unguided rockets on airfield give lot of points (someone said that F89D can get 10 000 air superiority points in one flight if he dumps all rockets on enemy AF) even if those rockets does little damage (low tonnage). Not to mention all actions against AFs and bases give much, much more reward than any other task and often people attacking AFs get 1-2 million SL per battle while fighters for 30+ (yup) kills get at best 500k with premium account.

Also - air superiority points are awarded too fast. Often games that are well populated ends in 1-1,5hrs not because bases losts etc but one team reach 150 000 pts.

EDIT : possibly fixed together with double tonnage. For now - removed.

4.5 a bug when destroying enemy convoy give air superiority points to the enemy. Basically when we finish the task they get +10k pts

5. spawn points awarded at the end of battle are sometimes at random re-set. Normally when I go to next battle i have up to 200SP from last one but from time to time I get 0SP. Some people said it can be connected to flying in squad or when I for example play tank RB battle and then get back to SB EC I will get 0SP. It's unconfirmed but they might be onto something.

6. most abused bombers still get air-spawn. It's great to see planes like B-29 or Ju-288 to get AF spawn but I am pretty sure that Me-264 with minimum fuel load can easily take off even with heaviest payload. No need to change anything. This plane on WEP have enough power to take off with runway to spare. And there is also issue of things like Be-6. I know you mentioned option to give them backup air-spawn on map edge - any news on this idea?

EDIT : air spawn on map edge seem to be implemented. For now removing the point from the list but it would help if we get RATOs and all planes would take off from runway as they should  :)

7. EC mission seem to sometimes be too heavy for servers. When there is a lot of AAA or air-2-air missile is fired server sometimes lose synchronisation and "rubber banding" occurs. Sometimes also tracers from AA and bomber gunners are not displayed. Not sure if related with mission design or not but something to look into for sure. Dying from invisible bomber fire is at best annoying.

8. when player-created room is set up and you put same nation in both teams (say US vs US) game will join people only to one team. This allows games of 29 vs 1 to be created that are used to exploit the super-high bomber rewards and basically get super fast grind. This I think is more problem for GJ than players. Normal players stay away from such rooms but you are loosing money - why would anyone buy premium account if they can exploit very unbalanced economy and buggy match  making to get into game with no enemy in it?

9. sometimes when played die and re-spawn in the same plane again, he can't select AF. Well - he can select but game will still spawn him on AF he used previously even though the plane he used was lost and not landed.

Sorry for such a long list. I think we all understand all this won't be fixed at once and it will take time but we think that having such list of things that bother us will help you as well.
There are some minor problems like levitating castle on Sicily, etc but they are less critical than list above.

Edited by przybysz86
  • Upvote 12