sniperNZSAS

Is there any point in ever using HESH?

I've tried my best to get kills with this stuff, I hit tanks right in the sweet spots with it and it does nothing. Sometimes it will take a track  out, sometimes it will take out the ammo (but not explode it) but most the time just does nothing.

What is the point of this ammo?

Edited by sniperNZSAS
medal medal medal medal

Can be useful vs light vehicles if APDS is not hitting anything, and also for hitting targets just out of sight over a hill or behind a brestwork or rock - since it is low velocity...   but not otherwise.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

HESH works in game by the spalling flying in the direction of the plate it strikes so for example it you shoot the Glacis of a T-54 the spalling will fly downwards at a slight angle killing the Driver and maybe the fuel tank beside him however if you aim for the Cupola you can send the spalling through the turret roof killing critcal members (Gunner, Commander or Loader depending on where) and even sometimes the breach

HESH is quite unreliable overall but if you can understand the velocity and weakspots of enemies you can make it work for you also its quite good for dealing with light targets and the lower velocity of the shell means you might be able to drop it over a Hill or ridge onto a target

Covered well already in the previous posts. I in most part have given up on the round. I carry no more then 5.  If I get a chance to load it I'll use it against broken tanks like the vfw where solid shot does next to nothing post penetration of the fun shield. Also the other day I had a shot on a panther 2 just into a small portion of the turret roof.  Fires 3 shots in and literally achieved nothing, 1 he's round however got the job done.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 26/09/2019 at 06:41, Royal_Jellybags said:

its useless because Gaijin removed the HE from HESH, so now its just a SH round that does jack. only really useful and instantly hull breaking anti air or other light armored stuff.

And even that isn't reliable.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

HESH is great, but situational. HESH is great at exploiting commanders hatches on armored tanks like T95, which is almost impossible to kill with 105mm APDS from the front. Just HESH the hatches and it dies. Also side shots on Ferdinand does serious damage and will most likely detonate the ammo.

medal medal medal medal medal

I still load around 10 HESH shells even on my challenger 2, it's just nice having the utility of the shells where a high muzzle velocity shell would not work, and if you never use them. Oh well not that big of a deal anyways. It's nice to have them and not need them than to not have them and need them. Just to put it into terms, just yesterday I was playing and a leo 2k was hiding behind some rubble with only the roof of his tank showing and i put a hesh shell right on there killing half his crew and taking out his breach. I wouldn't have been able to get that shot if I never loaded hesh.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Fair enough but my point is shouldn't this round be able to do more than it does? I used to work with a guy who was a gunner in the Chieftain's and Challenger who told me HESH was always the first round he'd have loaded in the barrel no matter what. Loved the stuff. But in this game it just seems to useless....

medal medal medal medal

Hesh used to be great but it's been nerfed a lot. They have removed the HE effect from most hesh shells so now the 183mm hesh performs worse than 125 HE, it's not entirely useless mind the side of turrets and the flat armour behind tracks is normally a OHK on most vehicles it's just unreliable against front plates now.

As for the gunner having hesh loaded it's pretty much and all purpose round and even if an armoured target survives the hit there gonna be pretty alarmed giving plenty of time for a reload of something better against strong armour.

medal medal

See I'm not convinced hitting the turret is even worth anything.. I've been really trying hard the last week to find a good use for HESH, and most of my shots have been either into the side or back of the turret and it doesn't do anything. The best I did was a shot onto the back of a IS3 turret and it blacked the ammo in behind but didn't do any other damage or explode the ammo, and the guy turned around and shot me. Earlier today I put a HESH round right into the side of an AMX30 turret and it didn't do anything. So I put my second shot into his side and it ruptured the fuel tank in behind but did nothing else nor did it even catch fire so I'm like holy **** this round cannot do anything!

Edited by sniperNZSAS
medal medal medal medal

Yep like apds these rounds have a tendency to be ate completely randomly, detonating fuel tanks has always been stupid with every round, detonating ammo relies on leftover pen I believe and hesh normally has just enough to pen so it's really unreliable always try for the crew, the sides of kt turrets are pretty reliable as are the t44 turrets. Apds is generally better unless you can guarantee side shots into the crew compartment with hesh.

medal medal

11 minutes ago, DrPhibes1 said:

Yep like apds these rounds have a tendency to be ate completely randomly, detonating fuel tanks has always been stupid with every round, detonating ammo relies on leftover pen I believe and hesh normally has just enough to pen so it's really unreliable always try for the crew, the sides of kt turrets are pretty reliable as are the t44 turrets. Apds is generally better unless you can guarantee side shots into the crew compartment with hesh.

Yeah well i've been having the occasional issue with APDS as well, I got another thread here where I've posted screenshots from my server replay of a leo I track eating an APDS round from point blank and doing zero damage to anything else....

I think gaijin just hate UK tanks and ammo tbh.

medal medal medal medal

Right now I'd say not really. Carry a few rounds but tbh even vs light vehicles HESH seems to be really garbage.

I've had centauros, bmps ect. all take multiple hits from hesh with minimal damage, and that's shooting direct to the front or side. Seeing as you have to shoot out your APDS and load HESH, which is pretty garbage vs a lot of mbts, means you'd want to see some kind of advantage when shooting light vehicles with it (i.e, they get obliterated like they would IRL).

Instead there's not really an advantage. Seeing as HESH is likely to be the second round to hit (you'd have likely shot him with APDS before switching to HESH), I'd imagine you'd have as much luck following up with APDS instead of the garbage, low velocity, unreliable round that is HESH.

TL;DR

No

Edited by Dantheman66
medal medal

10 hours ago, sniperNZSAS said:

Fair enough but my point is shouldn't this round be able to do more than it does? I used to work with a guy who was a gunner in the Chieftain's and Challenger who told me HESH was always the first round he'd have loaded in the barrel no matter what. Loved the stuff. But in this game it just seems to useless....

There was a time when HESH had damage based on it's HE filler too and it was just flat out OP. Literally every L7 firing tank was loading full HESH and running around 1 shotting everything. I'm sure there are videos around of this being shown, but I forget the time frame of when it was in this state so it would be hard to find anything, but I remember that time being around when I was grinding through the STB and that thing just ran around fully stabilized with a shell that was more powerful than 125mm HE at 7.7. Fun times, but I wish that Gaijin would find a middle ground for HESH where it's not major OP, but also have a reason to load it other than it's ballistics. As for why the british military uses HESH so much is the cost. HESH shells are much cheaper to use than APFSDS and this was the primary reason why the challenger 2 still has a rifled gun. LEP(rograms) are looking to get rid of the rifled gun on the challenger 2 which means no more HESH for it, so I think HESH is kind of over in the modern battlefield.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

8 hours ago, AnimeThighs said:

LEP(rograms) are looking to get rid of the rifled gun on the challenger 2 which means no more HESH for it, so I think HESH is kind of over in the modern battlefield.

on the other hand of this, the reason the challenger 2 still has a rifled barrel is because of HESH.  for a nation to maintain this tech just for this round says something about its capability imo.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I never use HESH, but always carry 1 round of it just in case the Queen were to pay an unexpected visit to our team!

medal medal medal

9 hours ago, Razielkaine said:

on the other hand of this, the reason the challenger 2 still has a rifled barrel is because of HESH.  for a nation to maintain this tech just for this round says something about its capability imo.

In real life modern tanks shoot old tanks.

medal medal medal medal medal