Sign in to follow this  
CookieMonster_24

British 6.7 stupidity

7 minutes ago, MattS93 said:

Agree 100%

My advice to anyone playing them (not you specifically of course since you know all this already LOL):

You've just got to accept the fact that these tanks require somewhat more discipline than the tanks whose APHE shells deliver fast one-shot kills. There is a specific strategy to using the high-pen/fast-reload British guns:

1) Unless it is a casemate TD or a tank with a slow turret (where you can shoot out the driver or engine, then shoot again in safety) the first shot has got to eliminate the threat by killing the gunner or preferably destroying the breech. If the driver gets killed or the engine gets damaged that is a bonus. If an ammo rack goes up that is even a bigger bonus, but that is a foolish thing to rely on.

(Edit: that said, for tanks where the Gunner's compartment coincides with ammo racks, I have found APDS to be pretty reliable at cooking them off...better than HEAT).

2) The second shot needs to take into account which crew members are left...don't be a dope pouring shells into crew members who are already dead, LOL. Likewise, if all you did was kill the gunner on the first shot recognize that you generally only have one more shot before the gunner will be back in his seat. So you must either disable the gun hardware or secure the kill on shot #2. Be ready and willing to back into cover etc. if it is not working out. Which brings up the fact that you should plan your attacks with a fallback plan in place. Another pro idea is switching from APDS to AP for better damage output on the kill shot, but in practice I have not found myself actually doing that much. In theory it would be smart though (and save some SL :))

3) If you fail to kill the target in two shots, you are in danger. Just like in the old days where it was bad luck to light three people's cigarettes with one match (sniper would be sighted in by the third one), if you've been focused on one target long enough to aim a third shot chances are good that somebody else is aiming at you. Look around and/or back into cover. Be willing to take cover and live to fight another day.

4) Accept that getting assists is a fact of life. This is the trade-off for having guns that can pretty much hit and penetrate every time you fire, even at long range and against moving targets. By putting out a hail of fire and killing a crew member or damaging a module with a fleeting shot at a far-away tank that "gets away", you are still helping the team because that target will be an easier kill for a teammate moments later. And assists pay pretty well in terms of RP/SL/SP/Battle activity and all that.

All of the above may seem to be too big of a hassle for some players, and that is fine...we all have different playstyles that we prefer. I personally love being able to snipe at long range and rip through heavily armored targets (like disassembling an IS-3 who thought he was safe to spawn camp a Charioteer with APDS...spoiler alert, it was not LOL) so the Brits are my favorite tree so far.

Could not have said it better mate.  Exactly the advice I give when asked.  Spot on

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

8 minutes ago, MattS93 said:

Agree 100%

My advice to anyone playing them (not you specifically of course since you know all this already LOL):

[...]

1) [...]

2) [...]

3) (...]

4) [...]

[...]

Pretty much that was MattS93 said is exactly what I experience with the British tanks in that BR:

Once the enemy can't fire anymore, eliminate more crew and the third shot needs to take out the enemys ability to fire again. British tanks have better penetration but lack in post-penetration damage, so you get a lot of assists.

It's just how it is, and it's okay if you know this to use this advantage to your advantage :happy:

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Funny Thing is that the brits can't cupola Snipe anything with the non explosive ammo. As a result fighting the french foch becomes nearly Impossible because it is 99.5% frontally invincible to anything british until the chieftain

• Sad 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Sign in to follow this