Sign in to follow this  
MattS93

I Fear I May Be Turning British

Chaps; 

 

I'm looking for some help here...been getting these insatiable cravings for tea and could swear that I hear the ringing of what must be Big Ben in my head at random intervals. I've even caught myself drumming Heart of Oak on my desk here. What can be done about this?! :lol2:

 

Seriously though, the UK tank tree is the fourth one I've played (did US to 7.7, Germany and USSR to 5.7), and I'm loving it. I'm focusing on the medium tanks  and TDs by and large...did not bother playing Churchills or the Archer yet, but played a ton of matches with the Cromwells, Achilles(x2), Fireflies(x2), Avenger, Comets(x2), and now the Challenger and Centurion Mk1.

 

So far the Challenger (5.3 version) has been my favorite but the Centurion is right up there with it...two completely different and complimentary playstyles so they make a good lineup together.

 

I have some questions:

 

1) Is the Charioteer even worth playing at 6.3 in RB? I like its gun and speed, but unlike the Challenger its gun depression is bad and combined with the lack of reverse speed and turret armor that can get cheesed by SPAA it just sounds like a bad deal.

 

2) Assuming that I love the Centurion Mk1 at 5.7, should I expect similar enjoyment from the Mk3, Caernarvon, and Strv81 (which I've played about 85 matches in, but so long ago and so clueless back then, I don't remember) at 6.7?

 

3) I've been using APDS exclusively with the 17lb gun...despite the reduced damage compared to AP, I'm just addicted to being able to get first shot hits on long range and/or moving targets almost all the time. And penning /disabling them besides. Most kills require at least 2 shots but I'm getting used to that. 

 

Assuming SL is not an issue, should I mainly use the AP or APDS for the 20lb gun? The AP shot does seem rather fast so the accuracy/pen should be good.

 

4) Any reason to bother with the FV4202 over the Cent Mk3/Caernarvon? Seems like a downgrade from the Centurion platform.

 

5) What does the future hold for me? I've read that the Chieftain is painful in the current meta, but how about the Cent Mk10, Vickers MBT, and Conqueror? Seems like their guns remain savagely good for their BRs (compared to the US who don't get the British 105mm until the M60 at 7.7).

 

6) Does anyone who has played the Dev server know if they messed with the Centurions' engine sounds (IMO best in the game)?

 

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you have to share.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey mate! Yes, I am glad someone is enjoying the British and theres nothing to worry about, when playing the British tech tree Tea cravings are very common and you'll find yourself soon congradulating the enemy when they kill you in a polite manner

 

Here some answers for your questions:

 

1) Charioteer is a hard vehicle to play because essentially your getting the negative attributes of the Cromwell chassis i.e weak overall Hull armour and slow reverse speed with the addition of weak turret armour and few crew members, I suggest trying it because it'll familise you with the 84mm 20 Pounder which will become common on the Centurion MK3, Caenarvon MK2 and FV4202. The APCBC rounds are excellent stock rounds and learning the APDS spalling will also help with those later tanks I mentioned otherwise the Charioteer is a highly vulnerable target only usually good for long range sniping and ambushes, it doesn't really have an effect place, in AB however you can pair it with Centurion MK1 and a 84mm 20 Pounder at 5.7 is very formidable

 

2) Like all nations at 6.7 you might have a mixed experience mainly cause of the proximity to 7.7 so sometimes you can be dragged into high tier matches where you'll struggle and it isn't enjoyable but the good thing about the 20 Pounder is that its APDS is quite powerful in terms of penetrating making it capable in high tier matches. At 6.7 your armour is starting to lose its effectiveness with guns like German 88mm KWK 43 being capable of penetrating your glacis at close range you can't be as aggressive like you can with the Cent MK1. Some noticable weaknesses of the Cent MK3 is the Turret Roof where it slopes, APHE likes to get caught up there and can knock out your turret easily, the edges of the turret are also relatively weak as well so some shots can slip through even lower calibre shots too. What is good about the APDS on Cent MK3, Caenarvon and STRV is that in close range you can penetrate the Tiger II H's glacis granted they have to be facing you so sometimes you can line up a shot into the Driver then Gunner and Commander but I would always aim for the turret anyway just for that greater chance of knocking out the Gunner and breach, APDS spalling is still low and remains low for the majority of British tanks so don't expect insta-kills unless its the last crew member or an ammo rack detonation. The main advantage of the Centurion MK3, Caenarvon MK2 and FV-4202 is their powerful guns and access to APDS, something most nations won't have until a little later giving you and edge and the armour on these tanks can surprise you sometimes and bounce some shots even at close range but like all tanks in the British tech tree, don't play too aggressively otherwise you'll die

 

3) Good thing about the British tech tree in general is that all of the tanks have relatively low repair costs and APDS isn't too expensive to pay for in SL and if you play right you can pretty much earn all your money back in each match you've fired your gun however I would suggest carrying APCBC, its higher spalling can cause a greater spread of damage and increase your chances of knocking out the enemy. Just for reference sake I carry 15 APCBC and 18 APDS totaling 33 rounds, a while back you could empty the Front Ammo Rack but unfortunately now you can't! But carrying these shells has saved me from side-shots before, its up to you though and experienced enemies will aim for your lower plate (Keep it covered on both Cent MK3, Caenarvon and FV4202 using low cover)

 

4) FV4202 is a strange experience, the Hull is weak and although angled most tanks at 6.7 can cut through it however the Turret is angled sharply and quite thick allowing a few bounces but its not invincible by any means, the MG in the turret is a prominent weakness and the 88mm KWK 43 and 122mm D-25T will punch through easily and other guns in higher tiers, the 20 Pounder is good but the tank compared to Cent MK3 and Caenarvon isn't up to par but its a decent back-up to have in case you lose the Cent and Cae and hopefully you'll be facing weaker enemies

 

5) Sorry to say but the 105mm L7A1 is lacking, it only fires two types of ammo which are currently the two weakest types of ammo. 105mm APDS penetrates well but the spalling is similar to other British APDS forcing you to play "Hunt the Crewman" and the shells have a ridiculous 60° penetration performance causing the 105mm to struggle against the Soviet T-54 1947, HESH is alright when it hits a good piece of armour otherwise its also unreliable, gets caught on tracks or boxes on vehicles making it hard to get used to. Cent MK10 has better armour and can deflect some poorly aimed shots, Vickers MBT has a high fire-rate but weak armour overall (a Panzer IV F2 can easily penetrate its armour) and Conqueror / Conway have powerful 120mm guns but slow, painfully slow reloads and their armour is questionable at best.

 

Cheiftains are capable if you play them right but yes they're painful especially against HEAT-FS and APFSDS causing them to both desperately need a BR drop so they have more of a fighting chance, same story with the APDS being mainly lacking and HESH although being better in my opinion still weak in terms of other rounds in other nations. 

 

Chieftain Mk10, which I unlocked about a week ago is decent in its turret armour making you pretty powerful in Hull down but its 9.0 BR forces it into higher matches where its Turret is weak and easy to get through, the Hull is extremely vulnerable just as on the other Chieftains. Challengers I am unsure of as the Challenger MK2 is still in research for me but I have a feeling they're not very good either

 

The 105mm L7 has two major advantages for the British. The Cent MK10 and Vickers MBT have 7.0 BR meaning they face 6.7 in down-tier and the 105mm outclasses every other gun in terms of penetration and even in velocity allowing you to land hits much faster than your opposition, HESH is powerful in a 6.7 down-tier because many tanks are large in profile allowing you more surfaces for the HESH to contact and if you become good enough you can shoot the Sloped roof of the Tiger II and cause shrapnel to cut down through the roof of the turret pretty much knocking the breach and the crew inside!

 

6) Unsure on that sorry, if its true I do wonder how the Shot Kal Dalet would sound since it uses a different engine....

 

Hopefully this long winded explaination gives you a bit of an idea of what you're up against. I love the British tanks in this game because of their challenging nature, it forces me to play more carefully and think about engagments more closely making them both enjoyable when things go right and bloody horrible when things go wrong. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, *Hurricanefire32 said:

 

 

Thanks! Fantastic info.

 

One point of clarification, if you don't mind...

 

Do you roll around with AP loaded in the 20lb gun and then switch to APDS if there is a hard target, or do you roll APDS and then switch to AP for kill shots after you've disabled it with APDS?

 

Edit: I ask because I found with the Cent Mk1 and Challenger I need to keep APDS loaded in case of bumping into Panthers frontally, which only happens ALWAYS (in RB) LOL.

Edited by MattS93
medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MattS93 said:

 

Thanks! Fantastic info.

 

One point of clarification, if you don't mind...

 

Do you roll around with AP loaded in the 20lb gun and then switch to APDS if there is a hard target, or do you roll APDS and then switch to AP for kill shots after you've disabled it with APDS?

 

Edit: I ask because I found with the Cent Mk1 and Challenger I need to keep APDS loaded in case of bumping into Panthers frontally, which only happens ALWAYS (in RB) LOL.

Its up to you really, I personally take APCBC as first round cause if for example an RU-251 rolls up to me I wouldn't want to waste a APDS round on it when I can save that for heavier targets but maybe try a few matches with AP then APDS or the other way around to find what you're most comfortable with

 

You can load more than 33 rounds if you feel like you need more ammo for one of the shells but basically don't go into combat with a full load of ammo cause you'll go boom pretty quickly

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, *HeshDealer said:

Get yourself checked out with a medical professional, brutish tanks are pure trash at top BR.

 

Well I've still got time to figure that out, just starting the 6.7 camo grind now...I've got the Strv81 and figure I'll roll that with the Caernarvon and regular Cent Mk3 as well. Assuming they work out as well for me as the Cent Mk1 just did, dunking on basically everyone TBH.

 

For a fourth tank in that lineup (I don't bother with air) I'll need to decide between the FV4202 or Charioteer for a little speed!

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MattS93 said:

 

Well I've still got time to figure that out, just starting the 6.7 camo grind now...I've got the Strv81 and figure I'll roll that with the Caernarvon and regular Cent Mk3 as well. Assuming they work out as well for me as the Cent Mk1 just did, dunking on basically everyone TBH.

 

For a fourth tank in that lineup (I don't bother with air) I'll need to decide between the FV4202 or Charioteer for a little speed!

 

tbf UK is pretty golden up until 6.7, solid AP and no reverse just makes them trickier to grasp than other nations. Most people swear by 6.7 but I can never make the BR work and I don't enjoy it, 7.0-7.3 used to be fantastic with the Conway and Conqueror having delete beams but just about everything here and onwards suffered nerfs.

 

I'll save the long list of complaints and I'll just say 7.0+ is really sub average, you can make them work but there aren't many enjoyable vehicles to play imo.

 

Charioteer for speed, just beware the lack of armour, no reverse gear and occasionally using all 25 rounds.

  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) (Charioteer or not) It's a useful if lacking backup in a line to bring another 20-pdr, but don't go maining it.

 

2) (6.7s) They're not bad. Although learn to punch Tiger 2 turret fronts or you'll just die right out, since APDS hasn't been fixed yet. Use AP if you can.

 

3) (17.pdr) If it seems to be working keep at it. Although APDS is notoriously low damage right now.

 

4) (FV4202) It is, but handy as a backup medium in a lineup.

 

5) (The future) Pain. Everything above 6.7 is objectively broken and not functioning how it should.

  • Thanks 1
medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/09/2019 at 02:02, MattS93 said:

Chaps; 

 

I'm looking for some help here...been getting these insatiable cravings for tea and could swear that I hear the ringing of what must be Big Ben in my head at random intervals. I've even caught myself drumming Heart of Oak on my desk here. What can be done about this?! :lol2:

 

Seriously though, the UK tank tree is the fourth one I've played (did US to 7.7, Germany and USSR to 5.7), and I'm loving it. I'm focusing on the medium tanks  and TDs by and large...did not bother playing Churchills or the Archer yet, but played a ton of matches with the Cromwells, Achilles(x2), Fireflies(x2), Avenger, Comets(x2), and now the Challenger and Centurion Mk1.

 

So far the Challenger (5.3 version) has been my favorite but the Centurion is right up there with it...two completely different and complimentary playstyles so they make a good lineup together.

 

I have some questions:

 

1) Is the Charioteer even worth playing at 6.3 in RB? I like its gun and speed, but unlike the Challenger its gun depression is bad and combined with the lack of reverse speed and turret armor that can get cheesed by SPAA it just sounds like a bad deal.

 

2) Assuming that I love the Centurion Mk1 at 5.7, should I expect similar enjoyment from the Mk3, Caernarvon, and Strv81 (which I've played about 85 matches in, but so long ago and so clueless back then, I don't remember) at 6.7?

 

3) I've been using APDS exclusively with the 17lb gun...despite the reduced damage compared to AP, I'm just addicted to being able to get first shot hits on long range and/or moving targets almost all the time. And penning /disabling them besides. Most kills require at least 2 shots but I'm getting used to that. 

 

Assuming SL is not an issue, should I mainly use the AP or APDS for the 20lb gun? The AP shot does seem rather fast so the accuracy/pen should be good.

 

4) Any reason to bother with the FV4202 over the Cent Mk3/Caernarvon? Seems like a downgrade from the Centurion platform.

 

5) What does the future hold for me? I've read that the Chieftain is painful in the current meta, but how about the Cent Mk10, Vickers MBT, and Conqueror? Seems like their guns remain savagely good for their BRs (compared to the US who don't get the British 105mm until the M60 at 7.7).

 

6) Does anyone who has played the Dev server know if they messed with the Centurions' engine sounds (IMO best in the game)?

 

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you have to share.

Welcome. To the British tree.  Sad you didn't try the Churchill's  that are great tanks and can definitely be game changers and winners. 

 

I recommend getting and using the charioteer,  it's fast and has a 20pdr which IMO easily makes up for its shortcomings.   Flank and get into positions you can get that gun blazing they bug out.  It's not a front line tank but if you can judge the map well you will get lots of great kill.  20pdr equals winner! 

 

6.7 has mixed reviews personally I don't know how,  it's the best br spread in the GE is my personal opinion.  Firstly caernarvon is a beast,  it's a centurion with king tiger levels of frontal protection (minus the lower Glacis) it gets around the map with great speed for a heavy,  typical excellent British gun depression,  reload and penetration.  The 20 pdr is a gun not to be messed with.  I use apds exclusively it does the job for penetration and damage. 

 

Centurions are the same as the caernarvon but don't have the armour protection so rely more on being hull down. 

 

Fv4202,  don't think of using it over the caernarvon and the centurions but along with them.   It's quicker then the centurions  but still carries the firepower of the 20pdr with occasionally good armour (it's got so many holes but some times it bounces everything).   I use caernarvon first  always then use the centurion when the fight is close or smaller maps.  The fv4202 I use when I have to cross large maps to get back into the action or on hilly maps. 

 

6.7 is the end of the golden years for British tanks IMO.   This isn't because the tanks are bad they are in most cases exceptionally balanced if not op if it weren't for the pos 105mm.   It be need far more then it penetrates.  I'm not exaggerating when I say I bounce probably 70% of my shots,  even when I'm top tier again tanks point blanky inferior. I can't explain how much I despise the 105.

 

The conquerors fore the biggest problem is the lack of power,  they are so sluggish and it gets me killed all the time because I just can't turn quick enough or regain speed.  The mk5 is exactly the same tank at a higher br  so ****. 

 

Mk10 is great for the role it is designed for.  Turret armour that works and a gun that works but the ability issues are the same just not a meta tank. 

 

Challengers are all very nice but just like many Brit tanks the armour has artificial holes and weaknesses and make them support tanks not tanks that often carry a team. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Razielkaine said:

Welcome. To the British tree.  Sad you didn't try the Churchill's  that are great tanks and can definitely be game changers and winners. 

 

I recommend getting and using the charioteer,  it's fast and has a 20pdr which IMO easily makes up for its shortcomings.   Flank and get into positions you can get that gun blazing they bug out.  It's not a front line tank but if you can judge the map well you will get lots of great kill.  20pdr equals winner! 

 

6.7 has mixed reviews personally I don't know how,  it's the best br spread in the GE is my personal opinion.  Firstly caernarvon is a beast,  it's a centurion with king tiger levels of frontal protection (minus the lower Glacis) it gets around the map with great speed for a heavy,  typical excellent British gun depression,  reload and penetration.  The 20 pdr is a gun not to be messed with.  I use apds exclusively it does the job for penetration and damage. 

 

Centurions are the same as the caernarvon but don't have the armour protection so rely more on being hull down. 

 

Fv4202,  don't think of using it over the caernarvon and the centurions but along with them.   It's quicker then the centurions  but still carries the firepower of the 20pdr with occasionally good armour (it's got so many holes but some times it bounces everything).   I use caernarvon first  always then use the centurion when the fight is close or smaller maps.  The fv4202 I use when I have to cross large maps to get back into the action or on hilly maps. 

 

6.7 is the end of the golden years for British tanks IMO.   This isn't because the tanks are bad they are in most cases exceptionally balanced if not op if it weren't for the pos 105mm.   It be need far more then it penetrates.  I'm not exaggerating when I say I bounce probably 70% of my shots,  even when I'm top tier again tanks point blanky inferior. I can't explain how much I despise the 105.

 

The conquerors fore the biggest problem is the lack of power,  they are so sluggish and it gets me killed all the time because I just can't turn quick enough or regain speed.  The mk5 is exactly the same tank at a higher br  so ****. 

 

Mk10 is great for the role it is designed for.  Turret armour that works and a gun that works but the ability issues are the same just not a meta tank. 

 

Challengers are all very nice but just like many Brit tanks the armour has artificial holes and weaknesses and make them support tanks not tanks that often carry a team. 

 

 

 

 

Thanks! 

 

I just finished spading the Caernarvon and Cent Mk3 (was running in a lineup with the Strv81 and Charioteer as well as the AA mk1)...concur with your assessment. I think that the Centurions and Caernarvon in particular are the best tanks I have used yet in this game. I was using the Charioteer as a deep backup and only drove it a few times...enough to get parts, APDS and tracks LOL.

 

Normally I would stay at 6.7 for awhile to earn some camos and get skilled, but the research penalties from playing two tiers down made me sad (I want to get the first Challenger ASAP so I can take it out on the Tank Polygon mission etc) so I've moved up to the Cent Mk10 and Vickers MBT and so far so good. That Vickers is just like a Pez dispenser popping out rounds so fast LOL.

 

I've driven the Chieftain around in test drive and see what you mean about its mobility. When the time comes I'll give it a try...I'm more of a sniper and methodical player than a brawler/carrier so it might not hurt me as much as some guys.

 

Thanks again for the insights - see you out there.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MattS93 said:

 

 

Thanks! 

 

I just finished spading the Caernarvon and Cent Mk3 (was running in a lineup with the Strv81 and Charioteer as well as the AA mk1)...concur with your assessment. I think that the Centurions and Caernarvon in particular are the best tanks I have used yet in this game. I was using the Charioteer as a deep backup and only drove it a few times...enough to get parts, APDS and tracks LOL.

 

Normally I would stay at 6.7 for awhile to earn some camos and get skilled, but the research penalties from playing two tiers down made me sad (I want to get the first Challenger ASAP so I can take it out on the Tank Polygon mission etc) so I've moved up to the Cent Mk10 and Vickers MBT and so far so good. That Vickers is just like a Pez dispenser popping out rounds so fast LOL.

 

I've driven the Chieftain around in test drive and see what you mean about its mobility. When the time comes I'll give it a try...I'm more of a sniper and methodical player than a brawler/carrier so it might not hurt me as much as some guys.

 

Thanks again for the insights - see you out there.

Ever looking for a Brit fan to play with send me a message in game.  I love a reason to be plating brits. Also grinding a mate through the conqueror so br would work for you. 

Edited by Razielkaine
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RikersMightyBear said:

♥Charioteer

 

I only seem to bring the Charioteer out when my other tanks are rekt or I'm out of SP...but I've been getting kills most of the time out. Spading it very slowly :)

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chieftain Mk.3 works surprisingly well in AB in my experience, since AB gives your tank some performance boost, the mobility is not too bad anymore.

It's my most played tank in AB currently at 2.7 K/D lol, i even bought talisman for it, and grinds all the way to Chally 2 with Chief Mk.3 :good:

 

It's been a while since i used it so not sure how it is nowadays, but you might want to give it a shot on AB when you finally get Chief Mk. 3

medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, gentlemen it has been a month and I believe that the assimilation process is nearly complete, LOL. Despite getting nearly as many assists as kills, I've got all the camouflages for the 6.7 Cent Mk3, Strv 81, and Caernarvon. 

 

Now moved on to the Cent Mk10 and Vickers MBT...maybe they just happen to be a great fit for my playstyle but I find these two tanks to be simply amazing. Basically all the good qualities of the 6.7 tanks but on steroids (and free ammo besides).

 

As much as my other tech trees 5.7+ could use some attention, I have no real interest at this point in going back to tanks with no stabilizers, long reloads, or relatively lower muzzle velocities. In return I can definitely live with the low-damage APDS, low speeds, and generally unreliable armor.

 

I'm holding off on purchasing the bulk of Tier VI, which I have already researched through, until they are at half-price SL during the anniversary sales.

 

Thinking hard about getting the Sho't Kal Dalet if it goes on sale too because I love Centurions and to have something to run with the Chieftains at 8.3/8.7. Don't need it for the grind since I've only got Tier VII left to research anyway. Smart or stupid idea? (coming from a guy who enjoys and is getting good results at 7.0)

Edited by MattS93
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/10/2019 at 01:22, MattS93 said:

Smart or stupid idea?

If you are going for Chieftains or British atgms and higher,  and if you will like it, you should try a BDSM as well. 

Edited by erilon03
  • Haha 1
medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oxygen does a good YouTube series covering British vehicles per tier (all ground plus best air support).

 

He just did half of T6, and did sort of mention the Sho really is lacking for a Premium (just in case you wanted other opinions).

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2019 at 20:22, MattS93 said:

Well, gentlemen it has been a month and I believe that the assimilation process is nearly complete, LOL. Despite getting nearly as many assists as kills, I've got all the camouflages for the 6.7 Cent Mk3, Strv 81, and Caernarvon. 

 

Now moved on to the Cent Mk10 and Vickers MBT...maybe they just happen to be a great fit for my playstyle but I find these two tanks to be simply amazing. Basically all the good qualities of the 6.7 tanks but on steroids (and free ammo besides).

 

As much as my other tech trees 5.7+ could use some attention, I have no real interest at this point in going back to tanks with no stabilizers, long reloads, or relatively lower muzzle velocities. In return I can definitely live with the low-damage APDS, low speeds, and generally unreliable armor.

 

I'm holding off on purchasing the bulk of Tier VI, which I have already researched through, until they are at half-price SL during the anniversary sales.

 

Thinking hard about getting the Sho't Kal Dalet if it goes on sale too because I love Centurions and to have something to run with the Chieftains at 8.3/8.7. Don't need it for the grind since I've only got Tier VII left to research anyway. Smart or stupid idea? (coming from a guy who enjoys and is getting good results at 7.0)

 

Regarding the SKD; since you already have the Rank VI vehicles I would recommend getting Talismans during the sale instead. It will be considerably cheaper, for the price of the SKD you could probably get at least 3 Talismans for R6 vehicles during the sale and from what I've read around the Sho't doesn't offer a great deal over the Chieftain to be worth its price. A slight edge in mobility, reload, APFSDS is a little more reliable and HEAT-FS is a little more useful as a multi-purpose shell than HESH.

 

I'd recommend getting a Talisman for the Chieftain Mk.3 and Warrior; IFVs are a great break, play very differently to conventional tanks, have an easier time countering the still ongoing AUBL spam and the Warrior will contend for a spot in your lineup all the way to 10.0 as it brings much needed mobility to the Brits. Consider getting one for the Chieftain Mk.5, I can't recommend it atm as Gaijin keeps fiddling with the Quantative Match Making for 9.3+, the Chiefs struggle enough at their own BR and the Mk.5 isn't really different in how it handles from the Mk.3.

  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2019 at 14:22, MattS93 said:

Well, gentlemen it has been a month and I believe that the assimilation process is nearly complete, LOL. Despite getting nearly as many assists as kills, I've got all the camouflages for the 6.7 Cent Mk3, Strv 81, and Caernarvon. 

 

Now moved on to the Cent Mk10 and Vickers MBT...maybe they just happen to be a great fit for my playstyle but I find these two tanks to be simply amazing. Basically all the good qualities of the 6.7 tanks but on steroids (and free ammo besides).

 

As much as my other tech trees 5.7+ could use some attention, I have no real interest at this point in going back to tanks with no stabilizers, long reloads, or relatively lower muzzle velocities. In return I can definitely live with the low-damage APDS, low speeds, and generally unreliable armor.

 

I'm holding off on purchasing the bulk of Tier VI, which I have already researched through, until they are at half-price SL during the anniversary sales.

 

Thinking hard about getting the Sho't Kal Dalet if it goes on sale too because I love Centurions and to have something to run with the Chieftains at 8.3/8.7. Don't need it for the grind since I've only got Tier VII left to research anyway. Smart or stupid idea? (coming from a guy who enjoys and is getting good results at 7.0)

Pretty much after 7.3 the UK is kind of on the back foot. Almost all the other countries have stabilizers, APDS, HESH and HEAT-FS at 7.7 and later, and they're all at least somewhat faster than you or have better armor and speed. The only thing you can really rely on after 7.3 is the penetration of your ammo and that you get it all for free until 9.0 with the L23 on the Chieftain Mk. 10. After 9.0, you can't even really count on your ammo penetration being the best of your BR either, and instead you'll find yourself relying on your turret armor and rate of fire instead. 

Britain at 9.7 with the Challenger 1s requires a certain amount of skill and careful positioning and most importantly, situational awareness and knowing how to pull off a few tricks. I absolutely adore my Challenger 1 Mk. 2, but it is by no means the best 9.7 tank out there and the powercreep that has resulted from rank VII being 10.0 at most has hit the Challenger 1s somewhat hard, although you can still reliably eat shots from DM33 provided you're at range or hull down and, subsequently, angled. 

With the Challengers you also really need to pay attention to your tank, as they're very large vehicles and you don't want to get caught with something like your fuel tank sticking out or with your engine compartment stuck on a rock (which has happened to me). 

Other than that, the Challengers aren't nearly as horrible as a lot of people make them out to be. They may have the worst mobility of their peers, but that isn't saying much as we're talking vehicles with a power to weight of 25:1 to 29:1. The thing about them is that you can't play them brain dead like you can with a Leopard 2A5 or an M1, and they kind of force you to think because they're slower than their peers, which is partly why I enjoy them. You cannot afford to be braindead in these vehicles and so whenever you do do well, you can be pretty confident it was down to your skill and/or luck and not just your tank.

  • Thanks 2
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, *RAazzy91 said:

 

Regarding the SKD; since you already have the Rank VI vehicles I would recommend getting Talismans during the sale instead. 

 

Since I'm running a premium account, and only have the 2 tier VII vehicles left, I suspect that I'd probably finish researching the Challenger 2 and Stormer over the course of spading (and earning the camos for, if I like them) the Chieftains and Challenger 1s anyway?  Really my only reason to get the SKD would be if it were fun to play in an 8.3 lineup with the Chief and Warrior thanks to the APFSDS. The message I seem to be getting here is that it's not though.:crying:

 

If it goes on sale for half price I might get it anyway, we'll see. I appreciate the input from everyone.

 

Thanks for the endorsement of the Warrior...looks interesting to me but the Swingfire and Striker not as much.

 

While I've got you here, does it pay to stay at 8.3 instead of bumping the lineup to 8.7 with the addition of the Chieftain Mk5? Or is 8.7 the black hole anyway, so full uptiers to 9.7 are not common?

 

42 minutes ago, KHEEEEENSCREAM said:


Other than that, the Challengers aren't nearly as horrible as a lot of people make them out to be. They may have the worst mobility of their peers, but that isn't saying much as we're talking vehicles with a power to weight of 25:1 to 29:1. The thing about them is that you can't play them brain dead like you can with a Leopard 2A5 or an M1, and they kind of force you to think because they're slower than their peers, which is partly why I enjoy them. You cannot afford to be braindead in these vehicles and so whenever you do do well, you can be pretty confident it was down to your skill and/or luck and not just your tank.

 

Thanks for all the advice. I'm more of a support sniper and methodical ambusher/slow flanker than I am a brawler or fast flanker, so I suspect that the speed differential won't impact me quite as much as it might a lot of other guys who can move/think/react fast.

 

I'm in the situation where I can move up into 8.3+ land either with the US or UK right now (higher tier Soviet doesn't interest me much and I'm not far enough along in grinding the Germans)...honestly have no idea whether I will enjoy playing at higher BRs anyway so I figured why not go Brit since the US tanks above 7.7 look really meh until the Abrams. If I just hate playing or get rekt too hard in tier VI play I have plenty of tanks to spade and camos to earn down in Tier IV & V US/USSR/Germany. 

 

You guys are the best, tea for everyone on me!

2 hours ago, Deranger79 said:

Oxygen does a good YouTube series covering British vehicles per tier (all ground plus best air support).

 

He just did half of T6, and did sort of mention the Sho really is lacking for a Premium (just in case you wanted other opinions).

 

Thanks, yes I did see that! 

 

Aside from the "bang for the buck" which I agree is not there, I wonder if it would not just be really fun to play because the Cent Mk10 has been my favorite tank in the game so far.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, MattS93 said:

 

Since I'm running a premium account, and only have the 2 tier VII vehicles left, I suspect that I'd probably finish researching the Challenger 2 and Stormer over the course of spading (and earning the camos for, if I like them) the Chieftains and Challenger 1s anyway?  Really my only reason to get the SKD would be if it were fun to play in an 8.3 lineup with the Chief and Warrior thanks to the APFSDS. The message I seem to be getting here is that it's not though.:crying:

 

If it goes on sale for half price I might get it anyway, we'll see. I appreciate the input from everyone.

 

Thanks for the endorsement of the Warrior...looks interesting to me but the Swingfire and Striker not as much.

 

While I've got you here, does it pay to stay at 8.3 instead of bumping the lineup to 8.7 with the addition of the Chieftain Mk5? Or is 8.7 the black hole anyway, so full uptiers to 9.7 are not common?

 

8.7 is one black hole as it's heavily stacked, especially with German, Japanese and Italian lineups

Leopard A1A1, A1A1 L/44, TAM, Type 74, 74G, OF-40 mk.2, OF-40 MTCA, T-55AM-1 and so on are all heavily played vehicles and all of then have some supporting lineup of effective backups like the Object 906, T-62, AUBL HVG, Type 89 and so on

 

You'll almost never be top tier with how QMM limits 4 top tier vehicles on each team but the Chieftains L15 APDS and the Warriors MILAN ATGMs have no issues dispatching any of the above vehicles.

 

I wouldn't say the Mk.5 is worth it, it's rare but the Mk.3 is solid in a downtier. If you want a back up Chieftain think about the Chieftain Mk.10, it's not brilliant, but it has a few things going for it:

- The Stillbrew armour will shrug off some hits unlike the other Chieftains

- Laser rangefinding with APFSDS, L23 slices through T-64A hulls no issue whereas L15A3 will shatter immediately after penning not doing much

- It's dirt cheap to use, the repair and ammo costs are negligible

- At there are some more CAS options, like the new Helis

- 9.0 is better than 8.7 for allies as the mobility gap is covered by MBT-70s and XM-1s

- QMM puts a 4 cap on 10.0

- It'll give you a taste of the **** show that is top tier right now, without burning millions of SL on the Challengers

- Berlin Brigade and Late Bicolour Camos

medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, *RAazzy91 said:

 

8.7 is one black hole as it's heavily stacked, especially with German, Japanese and Italian lineups

Leopard A1A1, A1A1 L/44, TAM, Type 74, 74G, OF-40 mk.2, OF-40 MTCA, T-55AM-1 and so on are all heavily played vehicles and all of then have some supporting lineup of effective backups like the Object 906, T-62, AUBL HVG, Type 89 and so on

 

You'll almost never be top tier with how QMM limits 4 top tier vehicles on each team but the Chieftains L15 APDS and the Warriors MILAN ATGMs have no issues dispatching any of the above vehicles.

 

I wouldn't say the Mk.5 is worth it, it's rare but the Mk.3 is solid in a downtier. If you want a back up Chieftain think about the Chieftain Mk.10, it's not brilliant, but it has a few things going for it:

- The Stillbrew armour will shrug off some hits unlike the other Chieftains

- Laser rangefinding with APFSDS, L23 slices through T-64A hulls no issue whereas L15A3 will shatter immediately after penning not doing much

- It's dirt cheap to use, the repair and ammo costs are negligible

- At there are some more CAS options, like the new Helis

- 9.0 is better than 8.7 for allies as the mobility gap is covered by MBT-70s and XM-1s

- QMM puts a 4 cap on 10.0

- It'll give you a taste of the **** show that is top tier right now, without burning millions of SL on the Challengers

- Berlin Brigade and Late Bicolour Camos

 

Thanks! So what I think I'm hearing you say is that it's better to run a 9.0 with the Chief Mk10 and the Mk5 backing it up than an 8.7 with the Mk5 and Mk3 (pardon me, I can be slow sometimes :)).

 

I run a lot of tanks in my lineups, relatively speaking (4 tanks and an SPAA) since CAS doesn't interest me.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/09/2019 at 00:42, *Hurricanefire32 said:

Sorry to say but the 105mm L7A1 is lacking, it only fires two types of ammo which are currently the two weakest types of ammo. 105mm APDS penetrates well but the spalling is similar to other British APDS forcing you to play "Hunt the Crewman" and the shells have a ridiculous 60° penetration performance causing the 105mm to struggle against the Soviet T-54 1947,

I use the same gunplay to grind stock leopard a1a1 at 8.7 (uptiered to 9.x) and it's not that bad. Yes, I use APDS. The same APDS and two plane stabilizer the british get at 7.0 to farm Tiger 2s. I say the disadvantages of this gun system (L7 + APDS + stabilizer) are extensively overhyped.

You don't need to hunt the crewman, just hit the ammo. I OHK medium and heavy tanks left, right and centre by using T92 light tank's APDS which is the weakest APDS in the game...? I think it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Taeblamees said:

I use the same gunplay to grind stock leopard a1a1 at 8.7 (uptiered to 9.x) and it's not that bad. Yes, I use APDS. The same APDS and two plane stabilizer the british get at 7.0 to farm Tiger 2s. I say the disadvantages of this gun system (L7 + APDS + stabilizer) are extensively overhyped.

You don't need to hunt the crewman, just hit the ammo. I OHK medium and heavy tanks left, right and centre by using T92 light tank's APDS which is the weakest APDS in the game...? I think it is.

 

I don't know how it would do at a higher BR due to the lack of HEATFS, but at 7.0 the Centurion Mk10 is a murder machine, I love it. The mobility is meh and its armor is mostly useless but that gun is beautiful against nearly everything it faces.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just like to add a +1 for using he charioteer - the speed and 20 pdr come in at a slightly lower BR than the mediums and I found it was good fun playing it in RB on maps that have good cover - hence minimising the disadvantages of  it's l bulk and poor reverse.

 

gotta love all the 20 pdr tanks - yes start with APCBC loaded and as the main ammo - it's often plenty good enough....   although check what BR's are being loaded before joining, and if you find yourself at the bottom rank you can swap APDS into #1 position

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.