kleinerPanzer

Panther Ausf. G (early)

The Panther Ausf. G of earlier production was functionally and visually a mix between the current Panther A and Panther G seen in-game. The defining differences from the existing Panther G are mostly minor visual changes, but it also lacks the chin on the gun mantle.

Image result for panther g kubinka

The Panther G stored in the Kubinka Tank Museum is an example of the early Ausf. G

OVERVIEW

As stated above, the early production Panther G is, in effect, just the existing Panther G but with the rounded gun mantle. Other differences include an older layout of exhaust pipes and an engine deck that is similar to the Panther A's. Most examples also lacked the extra cover over the driver's vision device.

This vehicle would be identical to the French Premium Panther "Dauphine", but with the side skirts as it would have come off the production line. 

Images

Spoiler

05675.jpg 1579116202_img_03631_4znbu1kmm1s0soskw0w

5SsQfOg0mfw.jpg

tGcIOGo6qF8.jpg i2mUJkzI77o.jpg

HISTORY

The arrival of the Panther A in late 1943 resolved many of the Panther D's downfalls. However, it was not perfect, and the desire to improve the Panther continued. The most glaring issues were that the engine had severe reliability issues, and that the transmission and final drives frequently broke down. Many characteristics from the Panther II design would be used to improve the next model of Panther tank. 

During its development period, it also became apparent that simplification for  easier manufacture would also be necessary to help the war effort.

The upper side hull armor was changed. Rather than being a 40 mm plate sloped at 40 degrees, it was changed to a 50 mm plate sloped at 30 degrees. Additionally, the Panthers A and D had a small "tab" of side armor towards the rear of the hull. The Panther G changed this to be a continuous, sloping part of the armor. This would result in the side skirts having a new bracket design, as well a slight modification to the shape of the front and rear hull armor where they met the side plate.

Example of the side armor change.

Spoiler

The Previous Panther A's Side armor. The thickness is 40 mm and sloped at 30 degrees. The extra tab at the end can be seen. Additionally, top and bottom of the plate are parallel.

603ead78dcb9c7c3b97faf6ab12f95dbee.jpeg 593bcd16f8b3a6742d1435b9f7e061d09f.jpeg

The Standard Panther G's side armor, now a single 50 mm plate angled at 30 degrees. The new angular shape can be seen, as well as the changes to the side skirt spacing and rest of the hull.

817e54480d1d3e7fb2f5be33c35c7900fd.jpeg a89163d7805af326e4461b742ed60ab561.jpeg

This change to the side armor, while increasing the effective thickness by a small amount, also added 305 kilograms of mass to the tank. The lower front glacis was reduced from 60 mm to 50 mm, and the hull bottom was reduced by varying amounts, from front to back. 

Besides those armor changes, a governor was installed on the engine, limiting it to 2500 RPM. This in turn limited the top speed as well as the turret rotation, which was driven by the engine. This greatly improved the engine's lifespan, although it did quite literally nothing to resolve the issues with the final drives. Some minor changes to the external stowage to fit the new armor shapes were also made. The engine ventilation and exhaust were also modified to be more efficient, eliminating the need for the two extra pipes seen on the rear of the Ausf. A. The rear shock absorbers were also removed as they appeared to negligibly affect cross-country performance. The changes here were a mix of improvements and simplifications. 

The driver and hull machine gunner's hatches were simplified, and the driver's direct vision viewport was removed, being perceived as a potential weak spot. Additionally, the angled periscope for the driver was deleted. Earlier production tanks had the same armored covering for the vision devices as on the previous models of the Panther, but by August 1944, a rain hood was added over the driver's optic. This was, overall, a massive simplification in the production process.

The headlight was moved from the front left hull down onto the front left fender. New fenders/mounting points for the side skirts had to be made, as they were designed to fit with the 40mm side armor, not the new design. A revision to the ammunition stowage, including the removal of the 4mm-thick doors, allowed space for up to 3 more 7,5 cm shells, bringing the total ammunition capacity up to 82. The hull machine gun was also given a more defined lip around the edge to reduce bullet splash. 

Overall, the objective of the Panther G had shifted slightly away from pure improvements and more towards a mix of improving the design and simplifying production. 

The first Ausf. G tanks were manufactured in April 1944. These tanks would remain largely unchanged until Autumn, when the first changes, including some of those listed above, were made. As mentioned, an additional rain hood was added for the driver in August. Additionally, another hood was added for the main gun sight in September. At the same time, the new "chinned" gun mantle, as seen on the variant in-game, was being introduced. However, this never fully took over the production lines, as there were examples of standard mantle tanks being produced right up until the end of the war (take the post-combat constructed Panther G in Bovington as an example). In October 1944, a new idler wheel was installed which prevented excessive buildup of materials, as well as the Flammenvernichter flame suppressor exhaust mufflers.

Between 2900 and 3000 Panther G's were produced from April 1944 through May 1945, as well as a small number immediately following the armistice. Approximately 6000 Panther tanks were built in total.

STATISTICS

Crew

5 (Driver, Hull Machine Gunner, Gunner, Loader, Commander)

Length

6.87 m (8.66 m with gun)

Width

3.42 m

Height

2.99 m or 3.10 m (sources vary)

Ground Clearance

0.56 m

Weight

45.5 t

Ground Pressure

0.9 kg/cm2

Engine

Hl 230 P30 V12 petrol
600 hp at 2500 rpm

Power-to-Weight Ratio

13.2 hp/t

Transmission

7 forward, 1 reverse

Speed

46 km/h (road), 24 km/h (cross-country)

Fuel

730 L

Range

200 km (road), 100 km (cross-country)

Wall-Climbing

0.9 m

Trench-Crossing

2.45 m

Max Gradient

57%

Max Fording Depth

1.7 m

Armor

Hull:

80 mm front

50 mm upper sides

40 mm lower sides

40 mm rear

16 mm roof

16 mm floor

Turret:

100 mm front

45 mm sides

45 mm rear

15 mm roof

Smoke

6x Smoke Grenades

Armament

1x KwK 42 L/70

2x MG 34

Primary

7,5 cm KwK 42 L/70 (82 Rounds)

Elevation: Manual, -8 to +18°

Traverse: Powered, 360°, 6-14.0°/s, depending on engine power

Secondary

7,92 mm MG 34 x2 (5100 Rounds)

Coaxial:

Traverse: Same as primary armament

Elevation: Same as primary armament

Hull:

Traverse: Manual, +/- 5°

Elevation: Manual, -10 to +15°

SOURCES

1 - http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Panzer-V_Panther.php

2 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_tank

3 - https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerkampfwagen_V_Panther

4 - Panther Variants 1942-1945 by Hillary Doyle, Thomas Jentz, illustrations by Mike Badrocke

5 - Pantherfibel

6 - https://ww2-weapons.com/panther-tank/

7 - http://www.wardrawings.be/WW2/Files/1-Vehicles/Axis/1-Germany/02-mPanzers/PzKpfw5-Panther/Data/PzKpfw-5G-Panther.htm

Edited by kleinerPanzer
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Open for discussion. :salute:

More tanks the better. Even if some of them only have slight difference.

Especially when its a vehicle/s that will be easy for them to make. Since they have that they need.

Just need to Copy X on some parts and Copy C on the part they want.  

And then Copy V to add it where they want it.

I know its a bit more work then that. But i have a hard time believing that they make completely new models for vehicles that are almost identical.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, HugoTroop said:

Nope, the Panther F came right around all the late model Panther G changes were made. After all, it was only a prototype

I feel like there is a backstory or something to it being the F, (or all the naming), because the F based off of the G consider, F is the letter in the alphabet in front of G.

Considering the Pz IV series, skipping K (which i think is a command variant), goes A>J

Meanwhile the Panthers go

D (1943) > A (late 1943/e1944) > G (1944) > F (don’t remember when, but after G).

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, kamikazi21358 said:

I feel like there is a backstory or something to it being the F, (or all the naming), because the F based off of the G consider, F is the letter in the alphabet in front of G.

Considering the Pz IV series, skipping K (which i think is a command variant), goes A>J

Meanwhile the Panthers go

D (1943) > A (late 1943/e1944) > G (1944) > F (don’t remember when, but after G).

I haven't looked too much into the naming of the tanks, but here is what I know.

Panzer I, skipped a few after Ausf. c because they were all prototypes

Panzers II, skipped I

Panzers III, skipped I, K was command

Panzer IV, skipped I

Panther, first named Ausf D because Daimler Benz, then to Ausf A, then idk why

Tiger, originally Ausf H for Henschel, all changed to Ausf E for some reason

Tiger II, all Ausf B

They probably skipped I because of confusion with J or roan numerals

medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, HugoTroop said:

I haven't looked too much into the naming of the tanks, but here is what I know.

Panzer I, skipped a few after Ausf. c because they were all prototypes

Panzers II, skipped I

Panzers III, skipped I, K was command

Panzer IV, skipped I

Panther, first named Ausf D because Daimler Benz, then to Ausf A, then idk why

Tiger, originally Ausf H for Henschel, all changed to Ausf E for some reason

Tiger II, all Ausf B

They probably skipped I because of confusion with J or roan numerals

D for Daimler makes sense, didn’t know that.  But yeah, they’re not consistent later on, the Pz I-IV makes sense, then idk what they started doing or whatever.

Alas, the D doesn't stand for Daimler, since the original production was by MAN before other contractors started up.  The only reason I have seen from primary and well supported secondary sources seem to indicate that there was some discussion of it being D to mark for developmental or D to lend the idea that the design was in greater and longer service for propaganda reasons. But nothing was ever recorded that pins that down concretely.

• Like 2

Isnt the new Panther in the French tree a G model even though it has a diffirent turret comparret to the 1 German G variant currently ingame?

420px-GarageImage_PantherG.jpg.e97eb2505

32 minutes ago, HugoTroop said:

Yes, I say that in the Overview section

OK i must have skippe that part somehow. But then it should not take much to implement the G early into the German tree since as you said it should just get side skirts and maybe other minor changes :)

4 hours ago, eleks12 said:

Isnt the new Panther in the French tree a G model even though it has a diffirent turret comparret to the 1 German G variant currently ingame?

420px-GarageImage_PantherG.jpg.e97eb2505

Wait, there's a French panther?  Since when?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

-1 Don't get me wrong i love the Panther but there would be no real use for this Panther and its differences does not valid adding it as a new tank

Edited by Cpt_Jack_Irons
medal medal medal medal