Avenger - another Brit that changed from "despised" to "loved"

Hi folks

As was the case in my "History of Brit tanks in WT" already for the Firefly, also the Avenger has risen vastly in my view on it - so high that by now it's one of my go-to's if I need a Tankl Destroyer for Tasks and stuff...

Sure, it's very fragile, has vey bad reverse speed, but all in all shows decent mobility and adequat (but not perfect) firepower. FUn vehicle to use, all in all, and just yesterday had a RB match with 5 kills even as I was fully uptiered. That's quite ok, I find...

What are you experiences with the Avenger in its state today?  = )

• Upvote 1

I never played the Brit tanks much prior to the AP buff, so I didn't live through the hard times.

That said, I have recently taken up the UK tree and agree that the Avenger is awesome. In fact now that I look at the numbers, it is my most played British tank so far with a solid 2:1 kill ratio despite using it as a deep backup to my 5.3/5.0 lineups and spawning into some really desperate losing matches! 

The thing that makes the Avenger so effective IMO is its mobility, gun depression and low profile. If you are reasonably clever you can continually place yourself where the enemy does not expect you to be. Likewise since the AP buff, the 17lb gun with the Mk8 shell is a murder weapon at 4.7. Eats every German tank it faces (besides the Panther hull) for lunch frontally, and with a minimum of care in shot placement will deliver a OHK most of the time. KV and IS tanks as well.

It does lack certain nice things like a machine gun and smoke grenades, and its turret traverse speed is not amazing, so it is not the best choice for stuff like city maps or the Abandoned Factory...but that is where the Firefly really shines. They make a strong pair when played on the appropriate maps!

I think the "Cromwellian" playstyle that the Avenger prefers is really starting to suit me...have had a lot of fun with the Iron Duke/Comet I and now the Challenger. APDS makes marksmanship at long ranges and against moving targets much easier, so even if the reduced damage potential bites me now and then it is worth it. It's a great time to play UK, up to where I am at 5.3 at least.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

Avenger is a damn monster SPG. I'm deeply love with the tank as it is my most played British tank and also my 4th most played over all.

Pros:

+Firepower (17pdr with Shot Mk.8)

+Mobility

+Turret traverse

+Reload speed

Cons:

-The notorious British reverse speed

-Lack of MG and smoke grenades.

Avenger.png

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I loved the Avenger from the first time I played it in its fully modded form.  (You really can't get a feel for a vehicle until then).  It is one of my favorite British vehicles and I agree, I like it better than the Firefly.

Edited by Valcour
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 months later...

So i've been playing this tank out again to grind the camo's and I noticed something while checking out its armour in the hanger. How does the driver see anything???

medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...

I am loving my Avenger too.

Used it for F.R.O.S.T. to great effect at 4.7, and then at 5.0 too once I got the QF 3.7 RAM

it has just begun to feel right. I can't explain it

the perfect elevation speed, rotation speed and traverse (it also has neutral steering) for my playstyle - which is a constant combination of camping and flanking

• Like 1
medal medal