[WIP] PZL P.11c

I decided I could use a second project for when I can't be bothered to work on texturing the tks.

The P.11c was the main fighter of the polish air force during the 1939 hostilities. While it was considered one of the best fighters in the world when it entered service back in '33, by 1939 it was vastly outclassed by the new german bf109s. About two dozen P.11c's were confiscated and pressed into active service by the Romanians after the polish air force was evacuated there in preparation to flee to France to continue fighting.

Stats:

4x air cooled MG wz. 33, caliber 7.92mm, 600 rounds per

4x 12kg bombs

Vmax 375 km/h

BR 1.0 or 1.3

Current progress:

progress4_1.thumb.png.34dcfc22ab9ec0fb02 progress4_0.thumb.png.678fdf2dbefe4e03f9

Edited by GrumpyStranger
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 8

Thanks. A friend helped me get my hands on a repair manual for Mercury V plus some photos from the engine restoration and some proper blueprints. Totally worth it. It's almost a shame I ended up half-arsing that render :)

Your model looks very cool. Well done :) 

Some more engine work. The engine vents make the engine section of the fuselage way too see-through for my liking so I figured I'll have to put something there. Mind you, anything that's behind the engine is just blocked out just enough so that there is *something* resembling an engine behind all those vent slits.

63V8iVM.jpg

1dVWhQb.jpg

OiPhF9r.jpg

pgsPQlA.jpg

Edited by GrumpyStranger
  • Upvote 2

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Well, looks like I'm officialy allergic to completing stuff. After realizing that the newest planes have a separate material for the cockpit, I figured I want in on that and decided to slightly retool the UV layout
image.thumb.png.46c89c61191e638ce1bea7df

Gave me about 15% more texel density which... well, not great not terrible, but I think I'll take it. Of course that means I'll be spending the next couple days reworking the paneling and rivets for the new layout, but c'est la vie...

• Upvote 2

Got bored sculpting the fuselage plates again, so I did a bunch of decals for fun to identify the model as the last surviving p11.

progress3_1.thumb.png.ae98819a6da289c1d7

Putting the cart before the horse? Well, sure, but still, fun.

Edited by GrumpyStranger
  • Upvote 1

Thanks. There's five options altogether, some are more historical, while others would be easier to accept for the polish community.

The plane could possibly end up in

- Italian tree under Romanian markings - 100% historical
- German tree as a trophy - semi-historical

- Russian tree as a trophy - semi-historical

- British tree under Polish markings - entirely fictional, however preferable to some

- French tree under Polish markings - ditto

If this was done as part of a concerted effort to add more Polish premiums to the game, then either German or Russian trees would be most likely due to them also using captured Polish tanks, plus France would also kind-of make sense due to the possibility of adding H.35 and R.35 for an entirely historical september campaign loadout, plus, Polish pilots basically flew on everything from the french first two-ish eras.

• Upvote 1

A Polish plane in the British tree wouldn't bee more fictional than a Romanian plane in the Italian tree: in both cases the two nations are hosted under the tree of an ally.

Anyway, I support both the Romanian version under the Italian tree and the Polish version under the British/French tree.

medal medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, GrumpyStranger said:

Holy carp how many rivets does this thing have,..

Well, hare... I'll show you again...

As the wolf said, and he went to make the texture of the grooved metal sheets of the wings coverage ... :kamikaze:

Grooved sheet metal would have been a breeze *if* it was even worth making. At current 4k resolution 1px equals to about 5mm. At the final 2k resolution that's going to jump to 10mm, and to have it as a normal map, you need 2px. The wing panel corrugation has 5mm groove to groove, which would need 8k final resolution - or an additional detail normalmap - to keep the scale.

• Thanks 1

Indeed final maps for typical fighters are 2k... however most moders (skiner's) make today maps 4K, or even 8K for their camos. So what hold us from bumping up the P.11c up to 4K as default ?

Also sometimes things require small compromises... eg. due to technical restriction of the game engine, we could assume the grooves were a *bit* wider...

Take closer look at the TB-3M-17-32, it has 4K maps and grooved metal sheets. I really doubt that these grooves in reality were as far such wide.