Hull Down fighting tips

Hi All,

I dont consider myself a n00b (maybe i am only lvl72), i have gone through the whole of the UK ground and air forces and dabbled in a couple of other nations. Ive never really had an issue with playing tanks hull down (mostly because there was actually a little balance earlier on), however with the new breed of MBT i am struggling significantly.

Specifically with the challenger series, I am finding that to actually be able to see my target in the gun sight I need to expose massive amounts of my tank opening up LFP shots just to allow me to see and correct my own. Do any of you wise masters have some tips and tricks on how to actually manage these hull down fights and use the strength of the CR series to the max? I feel like I am at a disadvantage when i see dudes that i am facing with literally just the gun barrel (t series and leopards) hitting me with pinpoint accuracy.

Cheers,
Mipps

medal medal

51 minutes ago, Mippie said:

Hi All,

I dont consider myself a n00b (maybe i am only lvl72), i have gone through the whole of the UK ground and air forces and dabbled in a couple of other nations. Ive never really had an issue with playing tanks hull down (mostly because there was actually a little balance earlier on), however with the new breed of MBT i am struggling significantly.

Specifically with the challenger series, I am finding that to actually be able to see my target in the gun sight I need to expose massive amounts of my tank opening up LFP shots just to allow me to see and correct my own. Do any of you wise masters have some tips and tricks on how to actually manage these hull down fights and use the strength of the CR series to the max?

If you have grass enabled when you use your gunner view then disable that. Second it's a matter of just finding a good hull down position, if you are having issues with gun depression then perhaps you should fine a different position. Also the Challenger series are difficult to use, especially the CH2 with that massive gun breech. The trick is to either wiggle and/or move back and forth as to mess up the enemies aim, don't just stand still. Another trick is to just avoid exposing your position, stay behind the hill or terrain until you see a enemy then peek out and shoot and go back into cover. All these things are pretty obvious, so unless you're not doing any of these things listed I'm not sure what to tell you.

Honestly though if you are still playing the Challenger series in anything other than Sim then it's a waste of time. The M1A1, 2a5, and T-80U are much better options. Hell even the AMX 40 is better due to the better round and the troll turret armor. Hull down defensive sniping simply does not win games which the Challengers are built for.

I feel like I am at a disadvantage when i see dudes that i am facing with literally just the gun barrel (t series and leopards) hitting me with pinpoint accuracy.

The T series have major issues trying to find hull down positions due to their lack of gun depression, but when they do manage to find one then yes they are quite good due to their turret armor and high velocity rounds. But even then they should be having a hard time penning your turret as their rounds(even the 3BM42) suffer from slopped armor. 

All the Leo's except the 2a5(which is better than the CH2 in hull down in every way)are inferior to the Challenger's in hull down fighting due to their weaker turrets.

Edited by FallenZulu
medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, FallenZulu said:

If you have grass enabled when you use your gunner view then disable that.

I am pretty sure its this! I never even realised this was a thing

Edit: just tried it, why is this even a thing! makes the game so dumb - no wonder i kept getting shat on by people on ridges

Edited by Mippie
medal medal

1 hour ago, zuadao said:

yes when i tryed the dev server, that has default options, grass was a very big problem.

Now ive done it, i can see why people use it - such a massive advantage

medal medal

28 minutes ago, Mippie said:

Now ive done it, i can see why people use it - such a massive advantage

Well...guess this is another thing for PS4 (and Xbox) players to complain about...

At least...as far as i know we can't change this...

20 minutes ago, *GhostSoph said:

Well...guess this is another thing for PS4 (and Xbox) players to complain about...

At least...as far as i know we can't change this...

Thing is, I would prefer it if not. Do Xbox and PS4 fight against PC or just against each other? If just each other, its not too bad because atleast everyone is the same

medal medal

12 minutes ago, Mippie said:

Thing is, I would prefer it if not. Do Xbox and PS4 fight against PC or just against each other? If just each other, its not too bad because atleast everyone is the same

Nope...main opponents are PC...some PS4 around, but always less than PC. If everyone was same i would be fine...

There are a few game modes where difference is too big...in tanks AB it is reasonable...(but this discussion is for other topics ;) )

In tanks RB i keep seeing hull down opponents being able to do shots i cannot...they seem to fire before i see their top...guess they are firing trough grass...but grass hides their top from me...

And PS4 CANNOT play vs Xbox players...but both can play vs PC ;)

(Sony and Microsoft don't get along)

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you figured it out. But yeah I feel sorry for console players, it’s hard enough to play with a controller against mouse using opponents but dealing with grass makes the challenge harder.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

There even is a "no grass in scope" option you can use. It disables grass in gunner can binocular view. 

Honestly, it's incredible how big the effect of lower graphic settings is. It is the lack of objects in the distance on one hand, but on the other it is the lack of shadows, dust, haze and smoke and deformable terrain that makes lower settings a noticeable advantage while higher settings mean a cut to your performance. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/05/2019 at 14:01, Mippie said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that *[name] is a PS4 player and ^[name] is an Xbox player.

One way to see what makes up your team and the enemy.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal