Sign in to follow this  
Thorien_Kell

Merkava, HEAT or APFSDS?

I know the general advantages of both ammo types, which is faster /easier to aim, better against spaced armor, ERA etc

Rule of thumb in this game that later ammo type that cost SL are generally more effective, even when on paper other ammo type looks great

(For example, basic APHE of T-10 looks great on paper, almost 300mm of penn, explosive filler, but in practice is pretty much horrible grenade which had disappointed me 100 times. )

Other rule of thumb is that more penn grenade has, more post penn damage it will do after. 

 

Merkava is seemingly an exception, it's basic heat does 400mm of damage and costs no SL

You can unlock APFSDS but it's comparably much weaker - 337 mm, In testing does quite decent damage

when penns up front but in sideways shots, especially on softer targets I have the feeling that heat is better.

 

What are your experiences?

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uhhh, well, at top tier with the intro of spaced armour and Composite and ERA the HEATFS reacts differently. 

 

Such as a vehicle may have 200-300 protection against kinetic rounds like the APFSDS, but equally 500-600 againt Chemical like the HEATFS. 

 

personally i have always found APFSDS better as it even caused more damage the more material it pens. but vs light vehicles like SPAA etc the HEAT would be more effective. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol basically stick to the best thing every vehicle has to offer. In this case use APFSDS... this is your waifu. having to many waifus will destroy your laifu... jokes aside. HEATFS detonates on ANY surface. And has a slow muzzle velocity and creates bad post pen damage. My own experience taught me to NEVER EVER switch ammo choices. YOU USE ONE TYPE and you stick with it. I only switch ammo choices in like every 100 if not even 200 battles. But in High tier 6.7 beyond i tend to use APFSDS. Sure i carry like 1-2 HEATFS shells with me, but normally i never use them. also since APFSDS can literally multikill people i tend to use them that way as well. Yes i once killed a centurion AVRE and a T-55A with my merkava by shooting APFSDS through both of them and killed them both OOF. something HEATFS couldnt do. also by sticking to 1 shell you will learn its balistics instead of switching between both. 

1 hour ago, Universae said:

. but vs light vehicles like SPAA etc the HEAT would be more effective.

nahhhh. APFSDS can hullbreak stuff like that as well. Back then you literally needed explosives to hullbreak now APFSDS will do just fine as well. HEATFS is simply said only ingame to give you a hard time grinding since its mostly the stock shell on the top tier MBTs. like on the leopard series.

  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thorien_Kell said:

Rule of thumb in this game that later ammo type that cost SL are generally more effective, even when on paper other ammo type looks great

(For example, basic APHE of T-10 looks great on paper, almost 300mm of penn, explosive filler, but in practice is pretty much horrible grenade which had disappointed me 100 times. ) 

Other rule of thumb is that more penn grenade has, more post penn damage it will do after.  

 

This isn't true. High pen ≠ high damage. APCR and APDS shells often have very high pen values compared to other types of shells and are frequently unlockable shells that cost SL, but deal very little damage compared to stock APHE or even AP shells. I don't own the T-10, but it's at a pretty high BR where APHE probably just doesn't cut it anymore. It has nearly 300mm of pen, but only 98mm at 60° at tiers you're more than likely to encounter heavy sloped armor or even composites.

 

Speaking about composite, and like the poster above said, at high tiers you'll frequently find composite armor that is more effective than regular rolled homogeneous armor. It also tends to be more effective against chemical shells than kinetic shells. Case in point, the hull of the T-64A is 80mm thick, but its effective armor against the Merkava's HEAT shell is around 380-400mm (meaning it will sometimes fail to pen) while it's only 230mm against APFSDS (meaning it can be penned at pretty much every distance).

 

2 hours ago, Thorien_Kell said:

You can unlock APFSDS but it's comparably much weaker - 337 mm, In testing does quite decent damage

when penns up front but in sideways shots, especially on softer targets I have the feeling that heat is better. 

 

That's probably because you're overpenning. HEAT also triggers hull break on very lightly armored vehicles while APFSDS doesn't always do it.

 

IMO, the M111 APFSDS is the best choice for the Merkava. It's reliable enough, offers decent post-pen and better ballistics. The only real downside is the price. I'd also keep a HEAT shell or two, just in case an SPAA or IFV appears.

  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1
2 minutes ago, *sigma__zero said:

 

This isn't true. High pen ≠ high damage. APCR and APDS shells often have very high pen values compared to other types of shells and are frequently unlockable shells that cost SL, but deal very little damage compared to stock APHE

Clearly, I haven't been taking shells with internal explosives into this equation.

I've learned this in British techtree, if shell barely penns, it won't do much damage. More penn, more damage. Also APCR, as a rule, does less damage than full caliber AP. 

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.