Sexy_Dave

Do I NEED to have planes to play RB Ground Forces?

Hi All

New to the game- and I know I don't *need* to have planes to play RB, but something I've noticed is that it seems half (or usually more than half,) of the two teams take to the air really soon into battle (I'm guessing as soon as they lose their first tank?) . I have zero interest in flying planes though (also I'm really really bad at every flight game I've ever played) . So Am I hurting my team by not having any planes in my lineup? (And I think this will extend to helicopters if I ever get high enough...no pun intended) 

Just ant to know before I spend any real money or invest a lot of time IN RB if I'm expected to have some air support to compliment the tanks.

Thanks!

Edited by Sexy_Dave

magazine2 (Posted )

Moved to Army Academy.
medal

Personally I almost never use planes in ground RB

This is because several things : I wwant to play tanks not planes, I usually survive for the whole game with my second or third tank so I do not have time to spawn planes

But the 2 main reasons are the following :

- I only play Axis factions so there is absolutely no viable CAS plane

- Planes have no real impact on the game outcome : either a team spawn them early then they lose ground control and it allows the opposing team to cap points and gain advantage or they are spawning them to spawn kill  but at that moment the fate of the battle is already known

So "NO, you are not useless to your team if you do not bring planes"

IMO this is quite the contrary, spawning more tanks have a bigger impact

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
medal medal

I enjoy flying out planes in Ground RB, but it's not always the best idea for your second spawn - or any spawn in a match - if you want to win. It can be great for your personal score, or for getting RP and SL, because planes earn so much more than tanks, but if you just crash or get shot down by enemy planes or SPAA before you can do anything you are wasting spawn points better used for a tank or two.

Planes can occasionally turn the tide of a battle by killing the momentum of an enemy advance or destroying entrenched or hard to kill tanks, and they are useful for spotting enemies. More often, though, too many players jump into planes when their team is doing well and don't do much, letting the enemy team back into the game. I've been guilty of this myself.

CAS can be tricky to learn to use well in RB, bombing accurately takes practice to get right, and smaller bombs need to land pretty close to do much to tanks. Rockets take a little less practice, but they don't always go where you aim. Axis CAS tends towards anti-tank guns rather than rockets, which can also take some practice to use effectively, although they do get some decent bomb loadouts as well.

So if you don't want to play planes, then don't. Learn to use SPAA, they are cheap to spawn and even if you only kill one enemy plane its a good exchange. Some are pretty effective tank killers too. Plenty of your team will end up in planes, often too many. You won't hurt them by staying on the ground.

Edited by Nahguav
Added paragraph about CAS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal

Although you absolutely don't need to use air if you don't want to, IMO having a complete setup of various mostly ground but one or two air vehicles and taking one that you think will be of most use is the best way to approach to the game. 

Most of us are primarily tankers or pilots, but very few people play exclusively one thing - there is no need to, air is fun and complex, give it a chance, watch few flying tutorials (I recommend phenomenal Magz), learn basics of energy fighting, hop into arcade sometimes, get one premium plane (TIII/IV) to help you skim thru lower tiers quickly. There is really no need to limit yourself to half of game because both halves are great. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
medal

There are many many tankers who don’t fly. I do, and have planes in my some of my tank lineups, BUT, I don’t always want to fly. If you are seeing a lot of planes going up and you want to be viable after your first death, put a SPAA or two in your lineup. Nothing more fun (especially AXIS) than shooting down a bunch of planes. It can really help your team as well. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve killed a plane with SPAA, after he just took out my tank....lol

17 hours ago, ALIEN109 said:

only play Axis factions so there is absolutely no viable CAS plane

This part of your post struck me. Why do you think that? Axis has just as versatile a CAS lineup as the allies do. If not more

• Thanks 1
medal

3 hours ago, *KnightsCross20 said:

This part of your post struck me. Why do you think that? Axis has just as versatile a CAS lineup as the allies do. If not more

Not a lot of dedicated attackers

No rockets for ground target

Okay, the Fw 190 F8 and Ju 87 can be decent but Hs129 is sluggish and Ki 45 can not pen ground targets

Meanwhile P47 can spam bombs and rockets and Yak 9 can burn you with 37 mm

But it might be my lack of experience with plane in mixed battle. I rarely use them and often got issue to control them, they seem heavier than in air RB is it possible ?

Also I might have biased view as I only play Axis...that said I have to admit German SPAA is really OP in good hands, I can create an interdiction for a whole game, wasting enemy SP 

I find it more enjoyable to destroy planes than using them :DD

• Thanks 1
medal medal