Centurion Mk3 and Sho't Kal Mantlets

Something I noticed last night about the Centurion Mk3 and Sho't Kal and their mantlets.

The Cent Mk3 has a 200mm thick gun mantlet in the center of it and 160mm at the top and bottom. However, I noticed it does not account for the coax MG bulge on the left side of the mantlet (circled in blue in third picture).

Spoiler

MkIII.png.8ece420466e4dabf087c5272104f0d

Spoiler

948693385_MkIII2.png.f9d82629cad38624cc2

Spoiler

771681491_MkIII3.thumb.png.044cb9e7190d2

However, on the Sho't Kal, the coax MG bulge is accounted for and separately modeled.

Spoiler

2003012368_ShotKal.thumb.png.45eb6b2b39c

Spoiler

41851737_ShotKal2.thumb.png.c6640b152231

I also noticed that the Sho't Kal, being based on the Mk5, has a 100mm thick gun mantlet. As far as I know, the Mk3 and Mk5 are nearly identical. With the British Mk5 changing the coax to Browning M1919 and adding an additional M1919 to the commander's cupola. The Centurion Mk5/2 upgraded the gun from the 84mm 20lber to the 105mm L7. I can't find anywhere it states the gun mantlet was replaced with a thinner mantlet, either by the British or the Israelis.

So the mantlet of the Mk3 appears to be modeled somewhat incorrectly by not accounting for the coax MG bulge on the left of the gun. And the Sho't Kal mantlet appears to be modeled wrong by being too thin (100mm overall instead of the 200-160mm) yet it accounts for the coax MG bulge.

Does anyone have a sourced that says the Israelis or British thinned the gun mantlet of the Mk5 to accommodate the 105mm L7? I've come up empty handed.

• Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 months later...

Changes to the Centurion MK10s mantlet. https://warthunder.com/en/game/changelog/current/1026

Sources they used: 

1: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://tanks.mod16.org/pdf/Centurion%20mk%2010%20datasheet%20and%20drawings.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj92o2i0vvkAhXFc98KHf3ID68QFjABegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0bqzPSmMoMmzxuYi40TOcM

2: The Centurion Tank, Pat Ware, Brian Delf

Apparently the Cent MK10 now has a weaker mantlet than the MK3 and shot Khal Dalet. Also don't know if they fixed its turret holes.

Edited by USVIKILLER
medal medal medal medal

11 hours ago, USVIKILLER said:

Apparently the Cent MK10 now has a weaker mantlet than the MK3 and shot Khal Dalet. Also don't know if they fixed its turret holes.

The "resilient mantlet" on the Mk.10 and late model Centurions are thinner than the original one from several sources.

However, it is less likely to deform and jam elevation trunnion following a hit (even a non-penetrating one), which is a common weakness on the original mantlet. It would be really interesting if Gaijin changes the chance of disabling gun elevation to reflect this.

The upgrade is not considered significant and Centurion of both mantlets served on.

medal medal medal

16 hours ago, USVIKILLER said:

My Mk10 gunner got killed frontally by a Wirbelwind last night...

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

The Centurions are very inconsistent to say the least, just look at the angle of the lower plate on all Centurions and other vehicles using their chassis, all different angles with varying thicknesses between 125mm - 130mm

Edited by *Hurricanefire32