AManAndHisTank

fix the italian M42 (I have period documentation)

before anything else, my source: an article I was directed to on the Wayback Machine, which goes over the M15/42 Semovente in wonderful detail - https://web.archive.org/web/20160607033515/http://www.assocarri.it/Mezzi/Semovente_contraereo_M15-42.pdf

since it's originally in italian (makes sense) I've gone through the trouble to translate it using Google Translate. I know a little italian but Guseppe wasn't able to help me today.

reguardless, if you read this (it is a literal report from a italian commander who personally witnessed the vehicle and was part of the field trials of the system.)

the part that concerns me is that in War Thunder, the M15/42 is both incorrectly named, and does not use the right type of ammunition feeding - (end of page 5/beginning of page 6):

"The model adopted for the self-propelled anti aircraft vehicle had been developed by Isotta Fraschini since 1942, especially to allow the use of metallic belts of 6 disintegrating meshes, which ensured, for each barrel, a shooting rate of 600 revolutions per minute."

unfortunately, they didn't think to write down the average length of each belt, but it can be assumed these were of the disintegrating link type, and I would assume that when speaking of "6 disintegrating meshes", it means 6 individual belts, linked together. even if we are talking about 12-50 rounds linked together and then multiplied for the number of guns means this thing could have had 288 (assuming 12 per belt) to 1200 rounds (assuming 50 per belt) ready to fire at any given time, making for quite possibly the most formidable low level SPAA built during WW2. this is something that needs to be corrected, and I would honestly say to contact the italian military (gaijin not us lowly internet people) to find out if there is any documentation on the amount of ammo in "ready" status, and how much in total was carried on an individual vehicle. even if it means bumping the vehicle up to 4.3 or 5.3, I still think that with the sheer amount of ammo, you would still be competitive as a SPAA at those levels. (if the kugelblitz can chill at those levels with only 2 mag fed Mk.103s I think a 2,400rpm (Combined ROF) 20mm aa system with belt feed would probably be pretty comfortable at that level.) 

I would reccomend having the "overheat" point be after shooting 48 consecutive rounds (edit - 48 rounds through each gun, not in total for all 4 guns. that would be dumb.), although i would reccomend adjusting this based on how that affects the gameplay.

Edited by AManAndHisTank
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

post it in bugs - they won't read this!!

• Sad 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

@Josephs_Piano a bug would be if the guns used the sound effect from a different vehicle, or if the vehicle was semi-transparent.

this is more of a "we think it's just 4 of the guns on the AS42" when in reality it's much, much different in terms of how the feed mechanism works.

basically, this isn't so much of a Bug, so much as a error in implementation of the vehicle in game.

Edited by AManAndHisTank

On 26/05/2019 at 07:38, AManAndHisTank said:

@Josephs_Piano a bug would be if the guns used the sound effect from a different vehicle, or if the vehicle was semi-transparent.

this is more of a "we think it's just 4 of the guns on the AS42" when in reality it's much, much different in terms of how the feed mechanism works.

basically, this isn't so much of a Bug, so much as a error in implementation of the vehicle in game.

The bug report section of the forum lets you report historical issues. You need at least 1 primary source or 2 secondary sources. Your report will then be handled and approved by a moderator then sent to the developers. Sometimes the fixes are quick, sometimes they take years. 

medal

On 25/07/2019 at 18:05, Jarms said:

The bug report section of the forum lets you report historical issues. You need at least 1 primary source or 2 secondary sources. Your report will then be handled and approved by a moderator then sent to the developers. Sometimes the fixes are quick, sometimes they take years. 

u rite