WayOfTheWolk

M47 Revalorise

M47 Revalorise  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the M47 Revalorise implemented in War Thunder?

• Yes
    • No (explain)
  2. 2. How should the M47 Revalorise be implemented in War Thunder?

• Regular Tree
    • Premium
    • Event

M47 Revalorise

Segit2M.jpg

8iFtUmg.jpg

Introduction:

In 1967 the French Army embarked on an modernization program to upgrade its aging M47 Pattons keeping in accordance with the times. A single prototype was modified with a rifled CN-105 105mm from a AMX-30 with an ammo capacity of 71 rounds. This was done by removing the assistant driver position for extra ammunition storage and plating over the MG port. Firing tests proved satisfactory with its NATO L7 counterpart but the rapid introduction of the AMX-30 at the time made the program surplus. Visual modifications from the 1967 Satory exhibition also reveal a IR spotlight fitted to the turret although it is unknown as to its type. Regarding the fate of the prototype it was likely scrapped like many of its equivalents. In War Thunder the M47 Revalorise has the potential to support the French Ground Forces Tree in a fun and innovative style. The superb mobility of the M47 matched with its outstanding firepower will allow players to add a whole new concept in flanking the enemy. The AMX-30 is a great tank but even itself needs domestic support when there is little else to offer at its tier.

Specifications:

Combat weight: 44.1 ton

Crew: 4 (driver, gunner, loader, commander)

Engine: Continental AV-1790-5B V12

Engine power: 810 hp at 2800 rpm

Power-to-weight: 17.6 hp/ton

Transmission: General Motors CD-850-4, 5 speed forward, 1 reverse

Suspension: Torsion Bar

Top speed: 48 km/h

Reverse speed: -14 km/h

Turret rotation speed: 30°/s

Vertical guidance: -8 / 19 

Armament:

Main Gun:

105mm CN-105-F1

Stowage: 71 rounds 

Ammunition:

OCC 105 F1 (HEAT)

OE 105 F1 Mle. 60 (HE)

OFPH 105 F1 (Smoke)

Pintle Mount:

12.7 mm M2HB 

Stowage: 1000 rounds

Coaxial Mount:

7.62 mm M1919A4

Stowage: 2500 rounds

Sources:

Spoiler

JG, Jeudy. Chars De France. (pp. 228). ETAI. 1997

Touzin, Pierre. Les Vehicules Blindes Francais 1945-1977. (pp. 262-263). Editions EPA. 1978

RP, Hunnicutt. Patton: A History of the American Main Battle Tank Volume I. (pp. 75). Echo Points Books & Media. 2015

Edited by WayOfTheWolk
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 8
medal medal medal

Open for discussion. Though if you could provide armor values of possible the tank or even the plate placed over the MG port, that would be helpful. Though given the limited information, I understand if that is not possible.

51 minutes ago, *blaZzinG_FurY said:

Open for discussion. Though if you could provide armor values of possible the tank or even the plate placed over the MG port, that would be helpful. Though given the limited information, I understand if that is not possible.

Hi Blazzing_Fury, this tank should have a similar armor and ammo layout as its Oto Melara counterpart in the Italian Tree. I'll add that note to my suggestion.

Edited by Private_Wolk
  • Like 2
medal medal medal

+1 for the Revalorise model, I would definitely like to see it in the game.  I'm a little iffier on the SS-11 variant but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I'm french, I use Google trad to talk, (do not blame me)

You missed a little important info in French on the photo:

1563864204-8iftumg-copie.jpg

"Le premier à été équipé du canon de 90 mm "925" tirant la munition de l'AML"

"The first was equipped with the 90mm "925" gun firing ammunition from the AML"

the "925" firing ammunition from the AML "refers to the 90 mm D-925, which uses the same ammunition as the AML 90
this gun is used on the M24 Revalorisé

cPbFvYN.jpg

char that entered service in norway under the name of NM-116

116.jpg

There are three versions of the M47 Revalorisé:

-the version with 90 mm D-925
-the version with SS.11 missiles
-the version with 105 mm gun of the AMX-30

if you add the M47 Patton and his predecessors, there is plenty to do.

m26_arcole_6rca%20photo%20dore.jpg

M26 Pershing entered service in France in 1952

m46_01.jpg

M46 Patton entered service in France in 1954

m%2047%20l%20avre%2001%206-12%20a%20oliv

M47 Patton entered service in France in 1955

Edited by Anodjl
  • Upvote 3
medal

53 minutes ago, Anodjl said:

the "925" firing ammunition from the AML "refers to the 90 mm D-925, which uses the same ammunition as the AML 90

cPbFvYN.jpg

116.jpg

I would love to see each of these versions, they’re unique takes on an existing tank.

medal

3 hours ago, Anodjl said:

From the previous sentence, doesn't "the first" refer only to the M24 and not the M47? It would be strange to replace the M47's 90mm M3A1 gun with the lower-velocity 90mm D-925 gun

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Anodjl said:

cPbFvYN.jpg

116.jpg

if you add the M47 Patton and his predecessors, there is plenty to do.

m26_arcole_6rca%20photo%20dore.jpg

M26 Pershing entered service in France in 1952

m46_01.jpg

M46 Patton entered service in France in 1954

m%2047%20l%20avre%2001%206-12%20a%20oliv

M47 Patton entered service in France in 1955

The sentence you mention is specifically referring to the M24 Revalorise (see the muzzle brake). Every author I have cited is referring to the M24 Revalorise when talking about the D/925 cannon from an AML. Furthermore there is only one version of the M47 Revalorise and that is the variant fitted with the CN-105-F1 cannon. The SS-11 variant was done just for testing not official sale. Do you understand where I am coming from? 

Edited by Private_Wolk
medal medal medal

I would love to see these added to the game the 105mm variant in particular. I think the SS-11 should be a gift though given its just a standard Patton with atgms, but the 105mm one would make a nice premium or a regular research tree option given how different the armament truly is.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, *AceArchangel said:

I would love to see these added to the game the 105mm variant in particular. I think the SS-11 should be a gift though given its just a standard Patton with atgms, but the 105mm one would make a nice premium or a regular research tree option given how different the armament truly is.

I would say tech tree because the Italians got their M47 105 in their tech tree .

• Upvote 1
medal

On 11/01/2020 at 08:16, [email protected] said:

I would say tech tree because the Italians got their M47 105 in their tech tree .

This. The M47 105 should be a tech tree machine and the M47 SS-11 could be a premium.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal

M47 105 in the TT. And M47 SS-11 a perfect prem tank.

And the M24 Chaffee Revalorisé is also a good prem tank. Same with a standard M24 Chaffee.

And they can put the AMX-13 with a Chaffee turret in the TT. And M24 Chaffee with AMX-13 turret as a prem tank.

But the NM-116 should be put in the Swedish TT.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 14/01/2020 at 04:48, Wolf_89 said:

M47 105 in the TT. And M47 SS-11 a perfect prem tank.

And the M24 Chaffee Revalorisé is also a good prem tank. Same with a standard M24 Chaffee.

And they can put the AMX-13 with a Chaffee turret in the TT. And M24 Chaffee with AMX-13 turret as a prem tank.

But the NM-116 should be put in the Swedish TT.

I've been wondering since day 1 where the chaffee/amx 13 abominations were. I really hope they come soon :c

Edited by Solarmod
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 21/01/2020 at 06:23, Solarmod said:

I've been wondering since day 1 where the chaffee/amx 13 abominations were. I really hope they come soon :c

There are so many vehicles they could add that would not take that much time to make.

By copy past things. Like AMX-13 Chaffee. And M24 Chaffee FL-(don't remember the number of the turret)

M47 Patton with AMX-30s 105 gun is also a perfect example of easy vehicles they could make.

And there are so many other vehicles like these. That would be a quick and easy job.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

When was M431 HEATFS introduced? From what I've read, it was "developped in the late 50s".
Considering this, and the fact your reference book indicates that the M47, at least at the time it was being modified to fit SS.11 missiles, didn't use chemical munitions

"le 90 M9E1 ne peut tirer que des obus pleins"
One is tempted to think that specific M47 variant would only have access to KE munitions.

I should however add that the same text mentions the second prototype (1958) supposedly carried 10 missile-mountings (3 either side of the turret, 4 atop the gun), which would make for a pretty heavy missile complement.*

*It is however a bit difficult for me to understand if that was actually done. The photographed M47 obviously cannot carry more than 6x SS.11 yet is supposedly the one with 10x ; the phrase "par les soins du service photographique" also makes me wonder if either mounting was actually produced, and even then made functional (with guidance system etc.), or if it only ever was a photo-montage to showcase the concept.

Edited by FouManchou
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, FouManchou said:

When was M431 HEATFS introduced? From what I've read, it was "developped in the late 50s".
Considering this, and the fact your reference book indicates that the M47, at least at the time it was being modified to fit SS.11 missiles, didn't use chemical munitions

One is tempted to think that specific M47 variant would only have access to KE munitions.

I should however add that the same text mentions the second prototype (1958) supposedly carried 10 missile-mountings (3 either side of the turret, 4 atop the gun), which would make for a pretty heavy missile complement.*

*It is however a bit difficult for me to understand if that was actually done. The photographed M47 obviously cannot carry more than 6x SS.11 yet is supposedly the one with 10x ; the phrase "par les soins du service photographique" also makes me wonder if either mounting was actually produced, and even then made functional (with guidance system etc.), or if it only ever was a photo-montage to showcase the concept.

Considering that the M47 stayed in French service well into 1970 and was using NATO standardized ammunition it's not crazy to say it used HEAT unless a valid source confirms otherwise. I'm going by the information that is readily available and the photograph for the SS.11 prototype clearly only has 6 missiles. So either the 10x version is the concept or they're both fictional which once again I find to be unlikely given we have information confirming that at least one of them was tested in some capacity. 

medal medal medal

7 hours ago, FouManchou said:

5 hours ago, Private_Wolk said:

Considering that the M47 stayed in French service well into 1970 and was using NATO standardized ammunition it's not crazy to say it used HEAT unless a valid source confirms otherwise. I'm going by the information that is readily available and the photograph for the SS.11 prototype clearly only has 6 missiles. So either the 10x version is the concept or they're both fictional which once again I find to be unlikely given we have information confirming that at least one of them was tested in some capacity. 

Actually if you look closely the photographed one carries 10 SS.11.

you can see one hidden behind the top side one.

6 hours ago, Cedjoe said:

6 hours ago, Cedjoe said:

So if I were to assume correctly there's also an extra two on the mantlet besides the gun. I'll make the edit above.

medal medal medal

21 hours ago, Private_Wolk said:

While I'm pretty sure the Patton II did eventually get all HEATFS in french service, I'm wondering about the premium, since by definition it would be a Patton II as of a specific year (1956 or 1958). And the lack of HEATFS might compensate the up-BR alongside the missiles, making for a somewhat tanky vehicle still only armed with AP / APCR, at around 6.7/7.0.

16 hours ago, Cedjoe said:

You're right indeed. But looking more closely really makes it seem like it's only a montage :dntknw:.

21 hours ago, FouManchou said:

While I'm pretty sure the Patton II did eventually get all HEATFS in french service, I'm wondering about the premium, since by definition it would be a Patton II as of a specific year (1956 or 1958). And the lack of HEATFS might compensate the up-BR alongside the missiles, making for a somewhat tanky vehicle still only armed with AP / APCR, at around 6.7/7.0.

You're right indeed. But looking more closely really makes it seem like it's only a montage :dntknw:.

True but it wouldn't be that unrealistic of a montage and I wouldn’t mind it being added to the game :)

Edited by Cedjoe

I confirm, the M47 with the SS-11, was never conceived, not even a model. It is a photo-montage made by (I quote) "le service photographique de Nord-Aviation".

"this project follows the rather rustic one (1956), with only two missiles, which will not go beyond the design stage of the design office."

Not paper-tank in War thunder, please !

As this M47 SS.11 is a fake tank, I think it has nothing to do in the game. France built enough cool prototypes tanks, we don't need more paper stuff.

Anyway, the M47  with french 105mm could be a good event/premium vehicle.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal