FrizFreleng

Weirdly long queue times?

I've been playing on the US server almost daily for nearly four years, and I've never seen arcade queue times so long as they are now. I'm often waiting up to three, four, or five minutes for games at even the most populated BRs. Anyone else seeing this? 

Which brings up a secondary issue concerning Gaijin's "people online" and "current battles" statistics. How can it take nearly five minutes to get into a match if there are 1,700-ish battles going on? Even by a conservative estimate, that would mean there are dozens of matches on any given server in any given mode at any given time. It makes me wish, and not for the first time, that Gaijin had a bit more transparency in these things. 

• Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

couple reasons:

1) a fair number of those battles are custom games with often only 1 or 2 people in there. those people are counted in the total running the client but obviously not in the ab/rb/sb queue. so some misrepresentation of actual people playing the normal game.

2) the sony ban on cross platform play is still in effect. so matches with ps4 players automatically excludes xbone players thus separating the mm pools. so even if there are seemingly plenty of ab players queued the * ^ separation means there are at least 50% less available for matching. i see plenty of rounds where it is all xbone + pc or some ps4 +pc.  i've seen matches where it only partially filled both teams.

3) 3 gameplay modes ab/rb/sb and 3 vehicle types means fragmented playerbase.

say 60k peak daily concurrent(close to actual). breakdown is (made up values) 10% SB, 30% RB, 60% AB. maybe 10% naval, 60% ground, 30% air.

• that gets you 60k x.6 = 36k, 36k x .3 = 10.8k
  • adjust by server location (2 main continents at any given time) so 80% for us + eu, divide by 2 for us server only. 10.8k x .8 = 8.6k,  8.6k x .5 = 4.3k
  • divide 4.3k by most common br pools 2.0-3.3,  3.0-4.0, 4.3-5.7, etc. = maybe 800 players for whatever br your lineup is.
  • adjust for no crossplay and protected newplayer sandbox and you have 2-4 minute wait times.

sony is easing crossplay restrictions due to fortnight but they arent in any rush for other non blockbuster games like wt.

this is what happens when you have stagnant playerbase numbers, increasing number of modes(naval helo), and new tier 7.  playercount growth should be gaijin's priority after fixing bugs. not adding new stuff. if there wasnt a jump in concurrent after public naval release, there isnt going to be some massive influx later on.  it's zero sum as far as any one mode gaining players and another mode losing.

Edited by ronin3423
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Hypothetical numbers time:

77,000 players online. 1700 battles. Each battle taking 32 maximum will remove 54,400 of those available players.

23,000 players "not playing". A lot of them probably aren't queued , but making line-ups, going over the research trees, etc. Lets say 1000.

22.000 players "In Queue" : 3 different modes (Air, Ground, Naval) , with 2 different modes (Arcade, Realistic) ... 6 different branches.

3600 players in your mode: But there are between 4 and 7 tiers of each mode. Take out top and bottom tier, lets go with 4 ranks.

900 players left in your Rank, playing your mode, at your tier... and spread over 4 different server zones. I'm playing NA and EU, so half that number again?

450 players waiting to play against you.

Maybe.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Try playing in a 4 man.

We can wait 8,12,16 mins for one game.

There seems to be some serious restrictions in the MM that try to only match you up with another 4 man causing horrible queue times.

After 3 mins of waiting it should loosen up and just get you in there.

Edited by DocProfit
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

17 hours ago, DocProfit said:

There seems to be some serious restrictions in the MM that try to only match you up with another 4 man causing horrible queue times.

There is indeed. There are also combinations of squads that can fill in and work against a 4-man. x3 2-man, x2 3-man,  3-man & 2-man. I think only a 3-man alone might be able to face a 4-man too , but I can't say for certain now.
But the BR spread doesn't matter at all. The 4-man can be the highest tier and all the other squads a mix of lowest and mid BR. Making for a challenging fight anyway.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Fragmented player base and too many modes/options. Never seen a game where player base can split into so many different GF queues not to mention Air and Navy. They are killing their own game. 

If google or amazon decides to make a war shooter/sim like this or WoT Gaijin is screwed. This is a great graphical game, awesome models but very poor overall strategy including the crazy idea they could beat WoWarships at their own game. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

All the statistics and math are interesting and true.

But the problem remain ! Since last upd ( 1.87 and a half / 1.89) its a hell of a time to reach ab modes...

So Its not only a long calculation problem.

As lvl 100 why am i 90 % time low or middle cote.? 1 game on 10 i may be high rank. Around 120 minutes of rage and frustration. This is not a  math formula problem. There is certainly unbalanced non-mathematical values to lower or raise stats of players in regard of level, Ge account, premium purchased and last purchase...

Imagine if/when cheaters get access to this Database how much damage they can make...

Im not bitter and i try to be constructive. I love this game and if its not a block buster it remain a huge money machine. No problem with that. Just want more better balance an no more cheaters.

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 22/03/2019 at 09:40, *puffy9999 said:

Fragmented player base and too many modes/options. Never seen a game where player base can split into so many different GF queues not to mention Air and Navy. They are killing their own game. 

If google or amazon decides to make a war shooter/sim like this or WoT Gaijin is screwed. This is a great graphical game, awesome models but very poor overall strategy including the crazy idea they could beat WoWarships at their own game. 

I think you're right. If the Steam charts are representative, the overall player population hasn't gone up or down too much since 2014. So yeah, that same number is now spread across all modes. I'm sure the strategy was to cut more into Wargaming's audience with ships, but it doesn't look like that's happened. Thanks for weighing in, folks. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

This week end, everything was fine and smooth. There was no latency to begin games and no problems of balance in matchmaking (Tanks AB and Ships AB ) I noticed a peak of 78000 players in the same time.

Obviously Gaijin has found a efficient algorythm.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Last night...2+ mins and "47" people waiting battle(arcade tanks) in tier 3 and... :dntknw: looks like is working better but... meh.Too much game modes,same guys playing so...
I dont know if "boat" mode is going to survive next 1 or 2 year but is the worse even in arcade with 3-5+ mins waiting a match

Edited by Sergi089
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal

I do notice on all tiers that the queues are longer even on 6.3 BR sometimes.

Edited by TovarishToNy
medal

It's pretty obvious, man. When you're at the upper end of Tier 3 and there are 40 people waiting in T3 for a match...

... Gaijin is simply waiting for enough Tier 4 players to come available to give you the proper and intended +1.0 BR uptier. Time to feed the machine!

• Haha 1

I am also seeing slightly longer queue times...but matchmaking seems worse than before (i.e. more uptiers)...so can't really understand why...i doubt it is less players...

Neither effect is serious to me...but since someone asked...

They keep adding new stuff at Higher BR

they should have stopped at BR 6.0 and let everyone play. Instead, they keep adding stuff higher, and thinning out the people.

I am not sure if discussed somewhere...probably yes...

But why aren't the NUMBER OF PLAYERS PER GAME used to balance things out...when needed?

MANY MAPS would actually play better IMHO with 10 tank/plane teams...

Back in "Begginer Zone" days i recall air combat was much more "personal"...not so crowded in the air...

And the actual number of players was adjusted between matches...

And some small maps would also work fine with less tanks...

Why is 16 per side "mandatory"?

I think they're trying to keep the overall capability level statistically equal with the large battle numbers (discounting any theories on match shaping and "seal herding").

If they went with a consistently smaller battle size they'd probably also need to shrink the BR range to 0.7 to avoid *real* stomp situations where a squad joins against a non-squadded team, and situations where a non-balanced uptiering between the two teams become statistically more common because of the lack of granularity in selected vehicles. Cutting BR puts you back into the queue length issue again, waiting for suitable garages to appear and get snapped up.

If queues are naturally short though because of the number of players, then I can see it working fantastically. Could be switched automatically based on server stats... short on players, then the bigger BR1.0 games happen. Surplus players? Start running them out in 8v8 or 10v10 BR0.7 matches.

6 minutes ago, mfree80286 said:

If queues are naturally short though because of the number of players, then I can see it working fantastically. Could be switched automatically based on server stats... short on players, then the bigger BR1.0 games happen. Surplus players? Start running them out in 8v8 or 10v10 BR0.7 matches.

Fine by me...thats the idea...

I know i liked MORE the 10vs10 matches in Air AB...instead of 5vs5 furballs and planes all over the place, you would get 1/2/3vs1/2/3...more controlled...

Of course...if you are a top player looking for easy targets...harder in 10vs10...

In tanks the BR is more important (i.e. gun vs armor)...but many maps will hold 10vs10...Poland and Eastern Europe for instance...

On 28/03/2019 at 09:00, *GhostSoph said:

I am not sure if discussed somewhere...probably yes...

But why aren't the NUMBER OF PLAYERS PER GAME used to balance things out...when needed?

MANY MAPS would actually play better IMHO with 10 tank/plane teams...

Back in "Begginer Zone" days i recall air combat was much more "personal"...not so crowded in the air...

And the actual number of players was adjusted between matches...

And some small maps would also work fine with less tanks...

Why is 16 per side "mandatory"?

^I have often wondered this.^

Given the average map size and the inevitable furball in the center, 32 players does make for too big a crowd.

I have been here for about 5 years and I only play planes. It never fails that whenever I get into a really good

dogfight, some ***hole comes out of nowhere and spoils it just when I'm lining up my shot.  :018:

medal

On 25/03/2019 at 06:35, Sergi089 said:

Last night...2+ mins and "47" people waiting battle(arcade tanks) in tier 3 and... :dntknw: looks like is working better but... meh.Too much game modes,same guys playing so...
I dont know if "boat" mode is going to survive next 1 or 2 year but is the worse even in arcade with 3-5+ mins waiting a match

Boats are okay for me. It's when I get to Destroyers do the wait times go way up.

i think it is simply gaijin has a few servers and doesn't want to spend the money on more and the player base is no where near what it use to be.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I'd be fine with with allowing smaller games - 12v12 or 10v10, to reduce the queue times.

It's not uncommon for me to wait 8-10 mins for a game (in a 4man) on the US server.

medal medal medal medal

Its because so many Russians and Chinese play on our western servers EU and US, have you not noticed high increase of eastern players and Chinese, it has affected the time to get into a game

• Confused 1
medal