AJAtcho

Stormer HVM Short-range air defense missile system

10 hours ago, Trickstick said:

Out of interest, has anyone tested if RWR picks up the Stormer? I know it shouldn't but it depends how it is coded. I can't think of a way to test without two people.

I'm thinking that is does right now. I can't test that until this weekend at the earliest.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Out of interest, has anyone tested if RWR picks up the Stormer? I know it shouldn't but it depends how it is coded. I can't think of a way to test without two people.

Just went through some testings with my friend, the RWR will not pickup any signal from the Stormer HVM1839967877_RWRtest.thumb.png.74eb61a03f6

However, the multipath effect is still not fixed:
1784733188_shot2019_09_1919_12_14.thumb.

  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wangxr said:

Just went through some testings with my friend, the RWR will not pickup any signal from the Stormer HVM

However, the multipath effect is still not fixed:
 

 

So good and bad news. That multipath is going to be annoying for taking out helicopters. However, the lack of RWR detection is really nice. Is it the only AA that can lock on without alerting the enemy? I guess the Stinger SIDAM can lock heat sources but not get full radar lock. It is a pretty nice advantage to get Starstreak sneak attacks.

medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried out the Stormer in Test Drive yesterday (haven't researched it yet) - the first time after similar tests shortly after it was introduced, and it felt completely different.

 

During my early tests, I failed to hit and kill the aerial targets in 90% of the cases, in yesterdays tests I got a hit/kill probability of maybe 80%, ofen in engaement geometries where another SAM (i play the Roland a lot) would have no chance for a hit.

 

So what are your experiences? Has the Stormer indeed improved, or was that just me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Schindibee said:

Tried out the Stormer in Test Drive yesterday (haven't researched it yet) - the first time after similar tests shortly after it was introduced, and it felt completely different.

 

During my early tests, I failed to hit and kill the aerial targets in 90% of the cases, in yesterdays tests I got a hit/kill probability of maybe 80%, ofen in engaement geometries where another SAM (i play the Roland a lot) would have no chance for a hit.

 

So what are your experiences? Has the Stormer indeed improved, or was that just me?

 

After many months, I unlocked this around a week ago, after 1.91 dropped. Been following this thread since the Stomer was released and taken it for many test drives through those months so I wasn't really looking forward to it and massively questioning my decision to prioritize it over the Chally 2.

 

However, I've been pleasantly surprised.  In Test drive now, I find if you keep the cross hair centered in the green tracking box, it will kill the 2 fast movers quite reliably (the MiG is more tricky if tracking across you at 90deg but ok at longer distances.).  However, I have't played ADATS or Tunguska so maybe I'm more forgiving.

 

In servers, I've currently killed ~ 9 Choppers, 1 prop job (Su-2), 2 906s and an Arieite for 3 deaths in about 9 spawns. (I main British ground forces so am used to very careful and risk averse gameplay). Win rate is awful (~25%) and I haven't hit a fast mover yet (actually not true, last night I hit a MiG19 whilst it was at Mach but it didn't even flinch) but then I don't usually fire at them unless head-on.

 

Maybe the RWR lack of detection is a good perk - I had one Hind hovering within around 2 clicks of me - perhaps it leads them to a false sense of security?

  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Schindibee said:

Tried out the Stormer in Test Drive yesterday (haven't researched it yet) - the first time after similar tests shortly after it was introduced, and it felt completely different.

 

During my early tests, I failed to hit and kill the aerial targets in 90% of the cases, in yesterdays tests I got a hit/kill probability of maybe 80%, ofen in engaement geometries where another SAM (i play the Roland a lot) would have no chance for a hit.

 

So what are your experiences? Has the Stormer indeed improved, or was that just me?

As someone who has racked up a 2.0 kd in it and over 400 kills it feels no different from  the day it was released to now. It's still functioning incorrectly to how it would irl.

  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Smin1080p can you tell why Stormer costs 4 times more than Tunguska and Adats and the same time it is the worst AA in the game, completely useless against planes which is confirmed by Gaijin?

 

 

 

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, USVIKILLER said:

Does anyone have penetration values for the stormer HV missiles?

Its been reported several times that Starstreak should be able to pen about of 120mm of RHA and its hit probability is 60% against Jets and >95% against Helicopters.

Screenshot_2019-05-28-19-25-18_1_1.thumb.jpg.00b832aae33ce3cc69a539739f8c74b7.jpg

 

Still no reaction for reports.

  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, erilon03 said:

@Smin1080p can you tell why Stormer costs 4 times more than Tunguska and Adats and the same time it is the worst AA in the game, completely useless against planes which is confirmed by Gaijin?

 

 

 

Is the stormer really worse than sidam 25 mistral which fails to fire 75% of the time and randomly gets it's missile launcher disabled? 

medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, erilon03 said:

Its been reported several times that Starstreak should be able to pen about of 120mm of RHA and its hit probability is 60% against Jets and >95% against Helicopters.

Screenshot_2019-05-28-19-25-18_1_1.thumb.jpg.00b832aae33ce3cc69a539739f8c74b7.jpg

 

Still no reaction for reports.

I'll press the mods about this later today. If they can't make it a descent AA then I'll use it as a tank destroyer (once the penetration gets fixed).

Just now, AraMacao said:

Is the stormer really worse than sidam 25 mistral which fails to fire 75% of the time and randomly gets it's missile launcher disabled? 

Yes

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I test drive the stormer and I must ask how to use the missiles. Am I supposed to lead a bit so that the darts hit?

medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AraMacao said:

I test drive the stormer and I must ask how to use the missiles. Am I supposed to lead a bit so that the darts hit?

I find the best way to hit aircraft is to align the crosshair with the target (obviously once you've gained a lock), so your mouse ring is slightly ahead of the aircraft.

 

In terms of fighting ground vehicles, don't bother engaging anyone unless they're relatively close and side onto you. You aren't going to pen anything with the split darts and you definitely aren't penning anything frontally.

Edited by TheCheshireCat
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheCheshireCat said:

In terms of fighting ground vehicles, don't bother engaging anyone unless they're relatively close and side onto you. You aren't going to pen anything with the split darts and you definitely aren't penning anything frontally.

 

You can kill stuff like SPAA with the individual darts pretty effectively.

 

If you shoot MBTs from the front the booster stage can kill them so long as you can get a slight angle on the tracks.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HammyTheHamster1 said:

 

You can kill stuff like SPAA with the individual darts pretty effectively.

 

If you shoot MBTs from the front the booster stage can kill them so long as you can get a slight angle on the tracks.

I should have probably clarified, yes it's possible to kill SPAA and very lightly armoured vehicles with the individual darts, but the problem is they disperse so much aiming can be quite a pain. If you're lucky you'll get a dart or two to penetrate the fighting compartment, but it's also possible for a dart to go into a track, one to fly above the tank and another to bounce off the roof or something. I find most success before the darts actually split.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheCheshireCat said:

I should have probably clarified, yes it's possible to kill SPAA and very lightly armoured vehicles with the individual darts, but the problem is they disperse so much aiming can be quite a pain. If you're lucky you'll get a dart or two to penetrate the fighting compartment, but it's also possible for a dart to go into a track, one to fly above the tank and another to bounce off the roof or something. I find most success before the darts actually split.

 

Oh yeah definitely the booster stage is nuclear, I haven't had the same dispersion issues with the darts though.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trickstick said:

Can someone confirm the range of the Starstreak? It says 7km on the card but I am getting premature detonations well before that range. It makes taking down ka50 harder when you have to close to 5km to do it.

Yeah I noticed that as well, it seems to be between 5-6k. Perhaps it's a full 7k if there's absolutely no manoeuvring the missile has to do but I doubt it.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just played a game, my missiles were detonating sub 5.5km...target was 6km away and nothing.

 

Also, direct hit, all i got was a crit, then got nuked in return....what is the point?

 

edit: im also not convinced helos render past 6km, same game above, was locking on but couldnt see anything, and when it did render eventually it was in open sky....

 

edit edit: Do the Ka's not give a missile tone when they lock? I have been shot out the sky with no warming 4 times now

Edited by Mippie
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mippie said:

edit edit: Do the Ka's not give a missile tone when they lock? I have been shot out the sky with no warming 4 times now

 

They are not locking normally. The TV tracker just auto-moves the pointer over the target, so you don't get a lock warning like you do with heat seekers.

medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got killed by a HVM in my Ka-50. Was quite a distance and I was moving, so must've taken some skill. If you read this then nice shot ;) 

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Trickstick said:

 

They are not locking normally. The TV tracker just auto-moves the pointer over the target, so you don't get a lock warning like you do with heat seekers.

really? *sigh*

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, the Ka-50s are not rendering correctly... I was locked onto one roughly above 6km away and wasnt firing as i thought it was one of the many times the stormer locks like 1km above the heli due to "noise". However after a couple of seconds i saw a missile coming right at me straight from that box. Needless to say, it was a swift death...

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Axe_Killer said:

Also, the Ka-50s are not rendering correctly... I was locked onto one roughly above 6km away and wasnt firing as i thought it was one of the many times the stormer locks like 1km above the heli due to "noise". However after a couple of seconds i saw a missile coming right at me straight from that box. Needless to say, it was a swift death...

Thats the issue I had

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, with the release of the KA-50 derp mobile and following a break from WT I came back a couple of weeks ago. Now, I was hopeful that *something* had changed...but boy was I wrong. Here is a summary of my continue pain that is the higher tier brit AA.

 

Stormer:

- slower than other AA vice

- less armour than other AA vics

- seemingly worse radar (still)

- Ka 50 doesn't even render in the gun sight past 6km (can see 3rd person sometimes but not in sight?!?!?)

- seemingly shorter range missiles than other nations Sam's (mine detonate about 5.5km away)

- once launched the massive smoke puff makes any sort of close range engagement impossible

- the missile is so twitchy that any small movement throws the missile off massively

- once separated it is almost impossible to track the mini missiles and see where they are in relation to the target (I play with maxed settings)

- if by some miracle you get them there...they still phase through targets 50% of the time

- if you do hit, I rarely seem to get a KO and often need a second missile

- the default zoom makes short range engagement impossible

- the vehicle is ironically a better anti tank weapon than our actual tank killers

- twitchy and unrelaibaly speeded missiles make it almost impossible to engage planes

 

Marksman:

- crap armour

- crap mobility

- crap rounds

- crap radar that doesnt seem to actually lock and track

- lead indicator seems to give incorrect info

- crap range (2km I think...wtf?)

- crap traverse and elevation

 

The above issues are just with the AA, when combined with the sub par tanks it makes it a real chore to be a brit main...I mean with AA we cant even do our job of protecting ground forces.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.