AJAtcho

Stormer HVM Short-range air defense missile system

stormer_hvm.jpg

The Stormer HVM fires Starstreak missiles, that are also effective against ground targets

The Stormer HVM (High Velocity Missile) is a short-range air defense system. It was developed primarily to counter the threat of attack helicopters and low-flying aircraft posed to armored formations. This air defense system is in service with the British Army. The first of 151 systems entered service in 1997. The only export operator is Oman.

This air defense system is equipped with Starstreak HVM missiles. Launchers are located towards the rear together with their target sensors. The Starstreak missiles have a two-stage solid propellant rocket motor and travel at more than three times the speed of sound (Mach 3.5). Each missile contains three high-density darts with impact fuses and explosive warheads, to make multiple hits on the target. The darts are released as the second stage of the motor burns out. Missiles have a range of 1 500 - 5 500 meters and can counter even high performance low-flying aircraft. Service ceiling for these missiles is 1 000 m. The Starstreak HVM has a semi-automatic line of sight laser beam riding guidance. Missiles are guided on the target by the operator, who tracks the target using the optically stabilized sight.

It is worth noting, that the Starstreak missiles are also effective against ground targets. It is estimated, that darts have sufficient kinetic energy to penetrate the front armor of an IFV.

Eight ready to fire missiles are stored in the launchers and up to 12 reload missiles are carried inside the hull. It is worth mentioning that the Starstreak missiles are also launched form a three-round lightweight launcher and a man portable shoulder launcher.

Vehicle has a roof-mounted panoramic weapon sight and an air defense alerting device for target recognition and prioritization. The Stormer air defense system is capable of rapid engagement and has a high hit probability.

Vehicle has a crew of three, including commander, operator and driver.

This air defense system is based on a modified Alvis Stormer armored personnel carrier chassis. Vehicle is powered by a Perkins turbocharged diesel engine, developing 250 hp. It seems that this missile carrier is amphibious with some preparation.

Sources from the UK MoD claim, that since 2009 Stormers are being gradually decommissioned, mainly because the threat of an airborne attack on Western forces has almost completely disappeared.

Country of origin United Kingdom
Entered service 1997
Crew 3 men
Dimensions and weight
Weight 13.5 t
Length 5.6 m
Width 2.8 m
Height 3.4 m
Missile
Missile length 1.39 m
Missile diameter 0.27 m
Missile weight 20 kg
Warhead weight 3 x 0.9 kg
Missile speed Mach 3.5
Range of fire up to 5.5 km
Guidance system laser
Number of missiles carried 20
Mobility
Engine Perkins T6 3544 diesel
Engine power 250 hp
Maximum road speed 80 km/h
Range 600 km
Maneuverability
Gradient 60%
Side slope 30%
Vertical step 0.6 m
Trench 2 m
Fording 1.1 m

• Upvote 9
medal

Note it can also fire the Starstreak II with a 7km range.

medal medal medal

i have already made a suggestion in the moderated section for this and it got accepted i need help finding more informations than what i got

medal medal

Don't sure but I think 8 starstreak missiles weren't recharged after being spent by Bulannikov on the stream like the 8 spare rockets didn't exist.

Be ready to bugreport it.

p.s. Checked it again, I was right.

The game card states it holds only 8 missiles with no stored in the hull and that's clearly a mistake

Screenshot_2019-05-17-20-42-28.jpg

Edited by erilon03
medal medal medal medal medal

If ze raketen can break front armor of an IFV which is usually strong enough to resist 30mm ammo, maybe ze raketen can break tank side armor.

Inspired by Challenger 2's rushed/unfinished hit box, I present to you, the Stormer damage model. 

Stormer-HVM.jpg.d75d7a0e2f32ffccabbb267e

Jokes aside, please look at the hitbox for CH2 Gaijin. It almost looks like this^ :D  (joking again)

• Haha 2
medal medal medal

in the live was it using starstreak II? or just starstreak?

Edited by zuadao

ok so looking at the stream video these missiles are not fire and forget, they have to be guided like an atgm.

15 minutes ago, zuadao said:

ok so looking at the stream video these missiles are not fire and forget, they have to be guided like an atgm.

If they're modeled like the real thing then yes. SACLOS guidance.

medal medal

Just waiting for Gaijin to make the missiles cost more than the reward for shooting down a helo/plane - making it impossible to make SL for "Balance" reasons

• Upvote 2
medal medal

Guys before considering to play or not Stormer HVM take a look at Bradley ADATS and then decide

Screenshot_2019-05-18-13-41-31_1.thumb.j

The aviation is basically dead already in random, so I don't see the possible gameplay for Stormer, ADATS on the other hand has a better anti-tank capabilities than basic m3 Bradley and almost same AA capabilities.

This is another wonderful example of balance by Gaijin Entertainment.

• Upvote 4

There is no other option for the British. Besides, we already have far better ATGMs than the US does. The Stormer will do its job as AA very well and that is what it is about. The ADATS is a very unique combination of ATGM and AA that no other nation has an equivalent of. But yeah, it's a shame the Stormer doesn't have guns.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

6 minutes ago, *Q_Garbage_Q said:

There is no other option for the British. Besides, we already have far better ATGMs than the US does. The Stormer will do its job as AA very well and that is what it is about. The ADATS is a very unique combination of ATGM and AA that no other nation has an equivalent of. But yeah, it's a shame the Stormer doesn't have guns.

Actually that's not entirely true. Yes the Stormer is all we have but... It depends on which Stormer Air defence system you want, there's the HMV, and there's this.

eQwzd5A.jpg

RttzYgj.jpg

Stormer-Air-Defence (1).jpg

How does a 7.62mm minigun, two stingers and a 7.62 machine gun sound? Oh and it has radar.

Edited by TerikG2014
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, *Q_Garbage_Q said:

There is no other option for the British. 

Actually, there is. Meet, Warrior Verdi 2.

1527002997_VERDI-2(1).thumb.jpg.c621aba6

VERDI-2-Warrior-01-740x431.jpg.3c65e4a05

It's a basically a Warrior but with Starstreak missiles, just like Bradley but with ADATS module. An ideal British equivalent of ADATS and it was easier to make a digital model for the game, we already have Warrior hull, just put couple of missiles containers and optics on it. Done.

Or Stormer Air Defense

UAyyM1i.thumb.jpg.d80c9df09e3e3a3a394a34

Lb5t1iE.jpg

Besides, we already have far better ATGMs than than US does

Really? And what is that? Slow and not easy to handle Swingfire or nerfed and short range Milan 2?

The Stormer will do its job as AA very well and that is what it is about. 

That is no longer actual. If you have at least one ADATS in your team you can be sure that sky is safe, and it is not useless against tanks like stormer 

The problem is it seems that Gaijin didn't even try to find a better option for Britain or didn't want to.

Since Her Majesty is the Queen of Canada too

Screenshot_2019-05-18-15-17-12_1.thumb.j

Britain could have another option -Canadian LAV-AD

lav-ad-P97056p.jpg.181b015f80ea16c903824

or even the Canadian ADATS

Adatad.jpg.67751941e0389da826df4446bea8f

Or some New Zealand's or Australian AA

Edited by erilon03
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, erilon03 said:

Really? And what is that? Slow and not easy to handle Swingfire or nerfed and short range Milan 2?

I was referring to the fact that the US has no proper hull-down ATGM like Germany, the USSR and the UK. But anyway, that Warrior Verdi 2 looks great. The Stormer Air Defense looks mediocre though, I don't see how a 7.62 minigun is useful and the missiles on the HMV seem better too.

And about Canadian, etc. vehicles, I've always been a proponent of making the UK tree a British Empire/Commonwealth tree.  I'd love to see those vehicles and it could be a possible solution to the British ground tree not having many top tier options left, plus it could fill a few holes in the lower tiers (like the Skink could fill the tier 4 AA hole).

31 minutes ago, *Q_Garbage_Q said:

The Stormer Air Defense looks mediocre though, I don't see how a 7.62 minigun is useful 

it's 25x137mm ( like Bradley's m242 Bushmaster gun caliber) or 30x173mm rounds (like Gepard's Oearlikon KDA gun caliber) so I guess it is useful against some armour.

MICVcart.jpg

Edited by erilon03

3 minutes ago, erilon03 said:

it's 25x137mm ( like Bradley's m242 Bushmaster gun caliber) or 30x173mm rounds (like Gepard's Oearlikon KDA gun caliber) so I guess it is useful against some armour.

MICVcart.jpg

Thanks for that correction, I read something else a few posts ago but now I see it has either 25 or 30mm. Yeah that certainly would be interesting to have

personally i choose the Stormer over the ADATS yes it doesn't have a 25 mm gun or AT missiles but i'm wanting an AA not a TD... and in that role the Stormer is better than the Bradley,why? because the Bradley have 8 AA missiles the Stormer have 20,its true that the bradley have an auto cannon but that would only work with helicopters or planes at very short range.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

26 minutes ago, Lord_Dipul said:

personally i choose the Stormer over the ADATS yes it doesn't have a 25 mm gun or AT missiles but i'm wanting an AA not a TD... and in that role the Stormer is better than the Bradley,why? because the Bradley have 8 AA missiles the Stormer have 20,its true that the bradley have an auto cannon but that would only work with helicopters or planes at very short range.

have you tryed hiting a plane with atgms?

over 3km and its even hard to see the target. from what ive seen in the live stream its not going to be easy.