*puffy9999

How are you spotted from one end of the map to the other in RB Ground?

I have been trying to get into RB but i am amazed when i am shot most of the way across the map (most recent one was Sinai) from some guy perched on the hill and i was on far right cap area. 

How is that possible to make that shot let alone see someone at that distance? I can barely see someone 500 meters on a clear day not to mention all the dust on that map. 

Doesn't make me want to play much if snipe shots are going to hit at 100% from that range. 

magazine2 (Posted )

Moved to Army Academy.
medal medal medal medal medal

Maybe you were spotted by some other enemy from much closer, who then relayed your position?

Especially if you were hit by machinegun fire from a closer enemy or from an aircraft, the sniper could have just aimed at the question mark, and got lucky?

I'm still a new player, and I played very few RBs, but once I managed to pull that off.

I don't know maybe, but if someone saw me closer wouldn't i see him? I got hit by two shots from this guy both hit across the map. 

I get the sneaky suspicion at certain times of the day more people are modding then others based on server pop on RB.

It would be interesting to know what the estimated percentage is. 

Edited by *puffy9999

Make the abuse/hacking report in-game right after it happens.

Maybe he saw you legitimately, maybe he didn't. Let the guys with backend access to server logs and data make that determination.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mfree80286 said:

Let the guys with backend access to server logs and data make that determination.

True. It seems unlikely that such things could get hacked on the client side, especially if the client doesn't even receives the data about enemies which are neither visible to the player nor spotted by allies.

A replay would certainly help us to form more educated guesses.

Binoculars and experience are two big factors. I’ve learned to spot tanks at well over 1500m depending on conditions. Binoculars and the gunner’s sight work well, and here are a few other things that I, as one of those people sniping you from a thousand meters, look for. 

The tank itself, and movement. Depending on conditions, this alone can be enough to figure it out. A green tank on a desert map for instance stands out like a sore thumb, especially if I’m looking through binoculars at areas where I expect an enemy. Their movement is also a major giveaway instead of being a plant of part of the terrain. 

Muzzle flash and gun smoke. This is something I think gets forgotten sometimes, but the smoke of firing and flash from a gun barrel can easily reveal a well hidden or far off tank. I’ve even gotten lucky and scored kills based on muzzle flash alone, and not even seeing the actual tank. If you’re sniping, also seek cover to reload, since you’ll be seen from your own muzzle flash and countersniped. 

Marked on the map. A teammate may scout or point out an enemy. This is a way to find tanks I might’ve otherwise missed. 

Experience with the map. After a long time playing, you start to figure out patterns of where folks tend to go on a map. I don’t put too much effort in to this, it’s not like I take notes or anything, but it’s something to pick up if you can. With such knowledge, you can make an edjucated guess on where you’ll find your enemy, and set yourself up to be able to shoot him when he shows up. 

Guessing the range and rangefinding is both art and science. Knowing how much distance is between the horizontal lines on your scope is a big help for shooting. The default is usually 200m when you use metric units. Configuring the rangefinder key so that you have your gunner either estimate therange or use a built-in rangefinder is also useful. Much like player location, you’ll soon get a “feel” for how far a tank is for ranging. If you can make everything click, you’ll be seeing km+ kills yourself! But anyways, between rangefinders, hashmarks, and guesstimating on the fly, it’s feasible to make pretty long shots in RB. (Especially with later tier guns. 76mm+ is when things tend to get really fun. (For example the US 4.7 M6 and M4(76) and any British tank with the 17pdr gun make superb snipers) 

I hope my ramblings have maybe shed some light on what a sniper is doing when he hits you from far away. I also hope even more so that this helps you develop some counter strategies to it so you don’t give up playing. There are also some good threads on the forum that discuss sniping tactics in more detail if you want to know more on the subject. 

:salute:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
medal

Yeah or he is using an Auto-Aim/Render hack. I would like to know the percentage of cheaters on this game especially AB and RB. I bet it is over 20% on PC.

Seems to be much worse than a year ago from the amount of snapshot BS drivers port kills i get and the across the map "Snipe" in a dust storm when i shouldn't even render. Maybe not maybe so. 

thanks. 

20 hours ago, *puffy9999 said:

I have been trying to get into RB but i am amazed when i am shot most of the way across the map (most recent one was Sinai) from some guy perched on the hill and i was on far right cap area. 

How is that possible to make that shot let alone see someone at that distance? I can barely see someone 500 meters on a clear day not to mention all the dust on that map. 

Doesn't make me want to play much if snipe shots are going to hit at 100% from that range. 

Puffy, if you are playing on a PS4 (assuming by your asterisks) then your spotting abilities will not be the same as a computer. You used Sinai, as an example, which is good. A computer player can turn off particle density. Which means the sand storm that you are looking, is not being seen by someone else. 

Learning the maps is key. Know where the enemy may be, the routes, the flanks, etc. Heavy use of your bino’s is the next peice of the puzzle. Look around constantly. On maps where you drive for some time, set your cruise control, so you don’t have to hold your controls. See what’s going on around you. Watch for gun fire.

Watch the mini map. Your teammates will spot the enemy. 

• Upvote 2
medal

9 minutes ago, *KnightsCross20 said:

Watch the mini map. Your teammates will spot the enemy. 

...if the game bothers to send you that information.

Always assume you're seen and traverse the map behind at least minimal cover.

• Upvote 1

Its nothing surprising really especially in Sinai that map is a sniping galore in each side of spawn so if you position yourself in a bad spot well you're dead.

But anyways since you are a PS4 player let me remind you that PC players can choose a option to lower their settings which give them much more easier time to see things aka ULQ so if for some reason you were seen a thick bushes etc its a ULQ player or a cheater (but its easy to determine a cheater really especially aimbot or etc) but of course their are some good players who are playing in High settings.

And as for shooting across the map its not hard just get more experience doing sniping on tanks that you like to use and knowing the map hell i can shot someone 2000m as long as they show their whole tank not just turret (though i never have done it i have only sniped someone at 1600-1800m which is a typical sniping range of any big maps in the game)  

medal medal

I have a PS4 account started playing in 2016, but i am running on the PC client now for the last month.  PS4 is basically a red headed step child for Gaijin. 

thanks

Sinai is very open apart from some hills and rocks.  If you were at C on the west side with the oil tanks, you are exposed from multiple directions.  From either spawn on the west side of map it's only about a 700 meter shot.

My personal best is a 2100m shot on Maginot from a PzIV 70 hitting a M18 sitting next to a house. I wouldn't have noticed him normally, but I was sniping at a tank about 400m in front of him and he was visible in my gunner view.

I play on PC with high settings.  The dust on Sinai limits my view, but I can get hits out to about 1100m depending on how it's blowing around.

medal medal

I thought I would show you some screen shots of long range shots so you might get an understanding of the skills you need to learn in RB.  

The first shot is my graphics settings.  The game selected this level when I installed it based on my hardware.  I have made no changes. 

Spoiler

203649323_shot2019_02_2820_04_12.thumb.j

The second shot shows the smoke puff that drew my eye to the enemy tank when using binos to scan for targets. I'm using an IS-2 on 38th parallel. 

Spoiler

234046712_shot2019_02_2820_11_22.thumb.j

The third shot shows the tank in view.  It's hard to see, but you can see it if you compare with the previous image. 

Spoiler

717996179_shot2019_02_2820_07_14.thumb.j

I've circled him in the fourth shot. 

Spoiler

1263059965_Inkedshot2019_02_2820_07.14_L

So now I know where he is.  I just need to line up the shot. I press the rangefinding key and my crew estimates 800 meters.  So I line up at 800 meters waiting for the tank to show itself again. 

Spoiler

2051284954_shot2019_02_2820_12_39.thumb.

He does and the range estimate was spot on. 

Spoiler

629182170_shot2019_02_2820_09_27.thumb.j

The next shot shows what Sinai looks like on my machine for reference. 

Spoiler

44798664_shot2019_02_2820_30_54.thumb.jp

RB requires different skills than AB.  Without visible enemies being highlighted you can have a false sense of security about the level of danger.  There are no red markers on the minimap so it feels safer and you may expose yourself unnecessarily.  Players new to RB tend to be overly cautious, hiding just outside of spawn afraid of the great unknown or careless without the markers to show them where the danger lies. They either figure it out and adapt or they go back to AB.  

It takes a while to learn to spot tanks at range in terrain.  It's much easier when they're in the open. This next shot shows 2 tanks at about 1500 meters on Maginot. Easy enough to spot.  Harder to hit.  

Spoiler

18736566_shot2019_02_2820.26_02.thumb.jp

Spoiler

shot 2019.02.28 20.28.08.jpg

magazine2 (Posted )

I added spoilers to your images, since they are many. Please also do that in the future, thank you.
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

Oh, they're out there in force; you need to report in-game. Last session I reported a guy IN game, not sure what he was using but in the previous game the same guy dropped ident just as I was about to nail him... and then in the game I reported, he dropped off the same way while parked next to his teammate who didn't.

I can accept that spotting gets weird sometimes, but I can't accept that spotting gets weird selectively in that manner.

First game the guy was blatantly out in the open on top of a hill in a T-54 with several of our guys shooting at him, aircraft too, and *nobody* managed to make a single hit.

Well, Sinai is quite terrible in that people who reduce their particle density get a completely clear view on the entirety of the map, while those who use the maxxed setting have a visibility that's usually below a km.

Some pictures to show how much of an impact particle density can have, not on Sinai cause i won't launch WT just for 2 screenshots, but it should clarify things.

I'll use fire smoke in my exemple, just know that on Sinai the dust storm is completely removed on low particle density.

Here's the maximum particle density, you can't see what's behind the smoke :

934825707_shot2018_12_1216_29_07.thumb.j

Here's the minimum particle density, no problem seeing trough it :163708297_shot2018_12_1216_28_52.thumb.j

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Gotta assume ya'll know to elevate your barrel to the target distance... And not just use the mouse and guess...

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, __THE____BEST__ said:

Gotta assume ya'll know to elevate your barrel to the target distance... And not just use the mouse and guess...

When I can get a clear LOS and RNG isn't climbing my back bumper, I've made nearly 2000m kills before.
It's part of the reason render and spot issues are, to me,  so glaring.... and infuriating.

I am very surprised this games coding doesn't do a client check in game to look for certain mod files. Aren't they all with the same extension or why doesn't Gaijin have a security team that populates know mod files that upon login does a search like they do with your login/pswd. 

Edited by *puffy9999

Having max crew skill "keen vision" can make all the difference, someone with an Aced tank and crew has 1251m line of sight where as a brand new crew is only 563m then binoculars are times 3 so theoretically someone could be sniping from say 1800 and a guy with new crew could never see him. Also people using ULQ it makes a huge difference, trees, bushes even walls will not render from range so you think your cruising unseen behind a wall but guy has ULQ on and he can see you the entire time, hard to believe they haven't come up with a solution for that crap, it's cheating pure and simple.  

If you ever think that someone has just plain hacked watch the server side replay, not your replay but the server side, you can actually watch from the other players view, great way to catch them cheating or if their  just a good player you can pick up some tips. 

• Confused 1
medal medal medal

14 hours ago, Harnesh said:

Having max crew skill "keen vision" can make all the difference, someone with an Aced tank and crew has 1251m line of sight where as a brand new crew is only 563m then binoculars are times 3 so theoretically someone could be sniping from say 1800 and a guy with new crew could never see him.

The crew skills are supposed to be for spotting/identification purposes, not rendering. A large tank in the open at 1500m should be plainly visible, i.e. rendered in, you just won't get an automatic spot/ID tag in arcade mode.

If the game is treating that as a render limit... and some of the people giving 'advice' in game chat and possibly here are convinced of this... then I quit. That's seriously stupid, to not DRAW a tank when you're drawing bushes, trees, shrubs, water pumps, cars, etc. at the same distances.

• Upvote 1

Map knowledge, experience and binoculars are a huge factor in RB. If you played some hundreds or thousands of games in RB you know the distances for long range shots and the enemies behavior for most of the maps.

There are surely some dumb cheaters out there that blatantly snipe you across the map but if they do this in every match, then it's pretty obvious that they get reported a lot and hopefully banned.

ULQ on the other hand makes someone look like a cheater in some cases but you don't see things from there perspective. I have no problem playing on max settings and i do fairly well but that's because i'm used to RB.

Edited by Giovegar
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:02, *puffy9999 said:

I can barely see someone 500 meters on a clear day

what are your graphic settings? You should be able to make out tanks at up to 2000m distance especially on a desert map (obviously not through sandclouds), my furthest kill was at 3500m on Sim Tunisia and that was me spotting it myself.

Also if he is firing from a familiar snipingspot he might know specific distances and can get pretty reliable first round hits.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I am on max settings with a GTX 1070 and Asus I7 Scar/Strix. It's cool, RB players have the spots they go to. Just takes alot of play time and hopefully no cheats. 

I got shot by a player last night through 4 sets of different bushes while I was behind smoke.............moving. LOL

He ended the round with 13 kills, a few in rapid succession. Coincidence? I think not. 

Edited by Arklight
medal medal medal medal medal medal