Tovarish_kapitan

Q&A: DM, weapons and controls of the fleet

answers_developers_1000_logo_ru_b634dd0f

Hi guys!

I'm one of WT's fleet gamedesigners.

Please feel free to ask your questions about ships' damage model, controls, weapons and ammo.

Please DO NOT ask me about levels, aircraft, tanks, BR, rewards, costs and all the economics - these are not my responsibility.

Please also be polite, patient and calm in your questions. Read the topic before asking: maybe your question already answered. From time to time we'll be making a compilation of FAQ if the topic would be popular and interesting.

Now please ask. And don't be afraid of my accent ;)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7
  • Upvote 3

Hello!

I have difficulty in controlling range settings (difficulty in indicating what I am trying to aim at), especially when trying to shoot aircraft.  

The weapon would use the wrong range, shots are well short of literally "miss by a mile".

Is this being improved?  (I am short of ideas)

Well, in RB the targets do not have markers (unlike AB), so how do I know if that target is selected.

PS:

Overall I LIKE naval.  Good balance of accuracy and fun, and talks about an almost forgotten aspect of navy history.

And GJ made it work well with aircraft.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

One of the things I always wondered about in naval forces is whether we will ever have the option to fire individual guns or turrets individually/sequentially, rather than always firing all guns that are reloaded. An idea I was thinking about is to have a control option similar to tanks, where one can choose the rate of fire on autocannons for example (high/low). Same could be done for naval guns to choose whether you wish to fire one gun/turret at a time or all at once.

Only somewhat related to the first question, but sticking to the subject of naval guns - are there any plans to improve how aiming (especially large caliber weapons) work? There are countless incidents where my guns would end up pointing into the sky when selecting a target, leaving me having to wait for a few seconds before the gun barrels align with the selected target. Recently, there was a patch that fixed aiming reticules moving out of the way when interfering with map geometry (e.g. islands), which was a very welcome fix and made aiming a lot smoother and intuitive, so I'm keen to know if further updates to the aiming mechanics are planned for the near future?

P.S. Thanks for taking your time to do an open Q&A like this, highly appreciated and welcome! :salute:

• Like 1

Nice to meet you!

I would like to ask about the ship damage models, would it be possible to beach a ship in Naval Arcade/Realistic to prevent said ship from sinking via flooding anytime in the future?
For example, my stock Koln gets hammered so hard, hit by a torpedo and shes slowly sinking, would I be able to slide her onto the beach so that I can stop the sinking as I do not own the "pumps" modification?

• Like 1

Sorry for spamming the topic, I just want to express that it is really amazing idea to create threads like this. Great Job GJ :)

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal

Hi there!

Disclaimer, as a huge fan of naval warfare and the Japanese navy, I may or may not have a bunch of questions.

Just wanted to ask how far progress is on the Japanese fleet.

And as question to that, how much of the naval units is IJA boats, IJN ships, JMSDF?
And any spoilers you can give on ships we might see?

Will naval be expanded to allow bigger ships, CA / BB's maybe even CV's? Being very important to Japan & America for example
Are you satisfied with how Boats (PT's etc) & Ships (DD, CL) are in the same game?

Are Submarines open for discussion or are they already being worked on?

Arigato-Mas for the Q&A in advance.

Edited by ShimakazeChan
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Are there plans to have nation versus nation matches, rather than the mix of all nations that we currently have? Similar to Ground Forces or Air RB.

Thanks for the Q&A :salute:

• Confused 3
  • Upvote 4

First off, Welcome to the international part of the forums :)

As for my question, i am mostly just wondering what process is being used to decide on the next naval nation to be implemented? As it is fairly obvious that the size or relevancy of a naval nation isn't really taken into account. If this is slightly outside of your scope then i am wondering if there are any engine limitations to gun caliber size?

Thanks for taking the time to do this Q&A :)

(Ps. i do have to admit, loving your nickname)

• Confused 3

Hello! I was wondering about torpedoes and damage models. At the moment they're basically a one hit kill if they touch your ship (and I'm talking Destroyers up to Light Cruiser because I feel like a torpedo should eviscerate a smaller ship) unless you hit a *very* extreme extremity, for example with the Trenton taking hits on the tip of the bow and not dying but a few feet down and dying. Will this be changed at all? It's discouraging when it happens in a CL.

Thank you so much for doing the Q&A as I really love naval! O7 I'm hoping that the person with the other responsibility will do the same.

The Imperial Japanese Navy used high purity picric acid for the shell, but do you know the exact TNT equivalent?

The "common shell" of 12.7 cm Naval Gun is HE shell, but the armor is penetrable in delayed fuse. In the game, APHE is unnaturally too strong against HE (common shell). Do you know historical information about this?

• Like 1

Plans for Ship-to-Ship radar and Ship-to-Air radar?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1. Will we ever get torpedo reloads for the ships that had them? (already reported)
  2. will all ships with mine rails eventually get mines? (already reported)
  3. Will we ever get magnetic mines?
  4. Will we ever get self and/or wire guided torpedoes?
  5. Why has the AFP D-3 a 8.6 cm Raketenabschussgerat when we can't use it?
  6. Will the S204 ever get its full armament? (already reported)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Hello Tovarish!

I apologize if this has been asked before-- Is there any insight you can offer the community about guided weapons for ships?

With the recent announcement of Tier 7 vehicles, can you comment on what time frame will be included with ships (how modern or how old will they go?)? (If this falls under questions about levels/BR, please disregard).

• Upvote 1

Hi, thanks for taking the time.

My question is rather simple, are you happy with the current damage and collision models of larger ships? I ask because for me as a player its rather frustrating to have a bomb near miss and "hull break" a cruiser or for a torpedo/mine to hit the very tip or very end of a cruiser and instantly sink it through "hull break" and finally for small general purpose (non AP) bombs to fase through the deck and detonate ammo when there are plenty of examples of ships of this size surviving such damage.

Second question, If you are unhappy with the current damage models, how do you seek to improve them? as it stands I think most players agree that the larger ships are just too fragile when it comes to small bombs and near misses.

Last question, Will you remove hullbreak for ships such as cruisers and possibly destroyers?

Edit; final question; What is the logic behind auto destruction when beached? It seems odd that the game can just decide to kill you when you have run aground when in other game modes (Air RB and Ground RB) you can sit in a destroyed plane as long as the pilots alive and sit in a flipped tank until the game ends, so why was it different with ships? Tactical Beaching should be left to player choice as it could prove advantageous when critically flooded.

Edited by the_suztown
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal

1) Is there a reason why ammunition performance seems inconsistent with ground-based counterparts? (notably the 130mm B-13 on the Su-100Y performing differently in both penetration and damage to the B-13 on ships)

Also, why are some ships which were never issued with (or developed) with AP rounds for their main cannons able to use them? (notably the 128mm SK C/34 on German destroyers)

2) Does this mean future ships that were never designed for AP will be getting them, and how would HE filler, shell velocity and mass be determined for them? Would penetration be based off DeMarre calculations in this case too? (notably IJN destroyers with 100mm/127mm guns)

3) Will all naval guns (that fire AP) get the DeMarre-calculated penetration applied to them like what happened with tank guns and their full-caliber AP rounds?

Edited by Flametz
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal

are you happy with the "time to kill" at the moment? i feel like it would be more fun if ships and boats lived longer and you could retreat and repair from time to time.. especially in arcade you go down quite fast.

Edited by Tsundere2k
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

47 minutes ago, Pony51 said:

Hello!

I have difficulty in controlling range settings (difficulty in indicating what I am trying to aim at), especially when trying to shoot aircraft.  

The weapon would use the wrong range, shots are well short of literally "miss by a mile".

Is this being improved?  (I am short of ideas)

Well, in RB the targets do not have markers (unlike AB), so how do I know if that target is selected.

Hi!

Not quite got the problem...

In AB the rangefinder refreshes the range to selected target automatically and pretty often. You can also refresh it manually by clicking MMB by default. In RB you have to do it by yourself: select the tarhet, click MMB or scroll the distance with mouse wheel.

42 minutes ago, CokeSpray said:

One of the things I always wondered about in naval forces is whether we will ever have the option to fire individual guns or turrets individually/sequentially, rather than always firing all guns that are reloaded. 

Only somewhat related to the first question, but sticking to the subject of naval guns - are there any plans to improve how aiming (especially large caliber weapons) work? There are countless incidents where my guns would end up pointing into the sky when selecting a target, leaving me having to wait for a few seconds before the gun barrels align with the selected target. Recently, there was a patch that fixed aiming reticules moving out of the way when interfering with map geometry (e.g. islands), which was a very welcome fix and made aiming a lot smoother and intuitive, so I'm keen to know if further updates to the aiming mechanics are planned for the near future?

There's an option in controls which allows you to fire your main caliber guns one by one. It is unassigned by default. But I've found it very convinient to make it ctrl+LMB. 

Spoiler

1313998757_2019-02-1921_12_08-WarThunder

And yes, aiming is that way for now. The barrel must have a few moments to pitch and yaw completely. We're working on it to make it instant. Or almost instant :)

41 minutes ago, Culusion_IA said:

I would like to ask about the ship damage models, would it be possible to beach a ship in Naval Arcade/Realistic to prevent said ship from sinking via flooding anytime in the future?

For now beaching is deadly for the ship. In a minute, if you won't be towed off, the ship would be exploded. We have in our plans to change that. So in future beaching could become as one of the sinking... countermeasures.

41 minutes ago, Pony51 said:

Please, please, please have an Enduring Confrontation version of naval!

We don't have plans for such mode atm.

40 minutes ago, Godman_82 said:

Sorry for spamming the topic, I just want to express that it is really amazing idea to create threads like this. Great Job GJ :)

38 minutes ago, ShimakazeChan said:

Just Wanted To Ask How Far Progress Is On The Japanese Fleet.

And As Question To That, How Much Of The Naval Units Is IJA Boats, IJN Ships, JSDF?

We're planning to provide it in the first half of 2019. Follow our news for the details )

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10
  • Upvote 1

Hello!  A real pleasure to meet you!  The more communication with you guys the better!

As for my question(s)/concern(s):

One of the things I have noticed once I transitioned from destroyers to cruisers is that the colored hull sections used to indicate damage to a vessel only seem to apply to the superstructure on cruisers.  As a result, when you hit cruisers in the hull especially with explosive shells, it's quite difficult to tell at a glance how much crew damage I am dealing to an enemy vessel.  Is there a reason this decision was taken?  And could it be added to mimic the system used on destroyers?

Edited by ManyMilesAway
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Is there a possibility that the older model for ship crew is brought back? i.e having them be actual characters like they are in tanks,helis and planes. I and many others felt like this was the better style and more realistic also.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, Fireraid233 said:

Plans for CA and BBs?

According to @Scarper, CA's are already being worked on but the idea is to work their way up to them.  We will get there eventually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Thank you very much for your reply.

15 minutes ago, Tovarish_kapitan said:

Hi!

Not quite got the problem...

In AB the rangefinder refreshes the range to selected target automatically and pretty often. You can also refresh it manually by clicking MMB by default. In RB you have to do it by yourself: select the tarhet, click MMB or scroll the distance with mouse wheel.

I will practice using the RB Select Target.  Maybe not doing it correctly.

I have tried using the manual system, but it is slow to respond to my inputs. Also I have difficulty in seeing what the convergence range is.  

I do not see a range setting displayed in GUI (is there?), I would like some type of info displayed.

Quick question, whatever happened to Naval Mines? Are they still in development? Was this question already answered? If so please direct me to the announcement or just answer me plainly, much appreciated. 

• Upvote 3
medal

Will penetration table UIs be reworked to give us a better indication of performance in naval battles? for example showing penetration values for both deck and belt at various ranges and against various materials? Since each nation used different steels in the construction of their vessels, especially with regards to armour.

For reference, here's a calculator showcasing various values against different surfaces at different ranges, depending on the material being struck.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_nathan/Penetration_index.php

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

32 minutes ago, Tovarish_kapitan said:

There's an option in controls which allows you to fire your main caliber guns one by one. It is unassigned by default. But I've found it very convinient to make it ctrl+LMB. 

Reveal hidden contents

And yes, aiming is that way for now. The barrel must have a few moments to pitch and yaw completely. We're working on it to make it instant. Or almost instant :)

Thanks for the response, I'll have to look into that setting :good:

I did forget to ask a minor question regarding the UI - any plans on separating naval measurement units from other vehicle types? Naval units primarily use knots (kts) for speed, for example, and while we can select this to be displayed as such in the game too, it displays the speed in knots for every unit type in the game until the player manually switches it back to his/her preferred unit. So I'm wondering if in the future we can expect to have naval measurement units, such as speed (knots), being displayed independently of other unit preferences for aircraft and tanks for example?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer the question. :)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1