Sign in to follow this  
Pony51

Event: Sea Voyage - Arcade edition

12 hours ago, KillerAce4 said:

feel that is quite a large commitment for casual players to earn these marks of distinction.  5 to 6 hours a day for a casual player is a little much, 1 hour maybe 2 at the most, and even then, I'm sure there are players that would not be able to commit even that much time.

Well, you have 2 days to complete each mark, so you can split those values by 2 :).

In my case it took me 3 hours yesterday to get the first mark, which is more than I'd like too, but I didn't focus completely on the event itself. I'm seeing it as a second chance to naval so I'm continuing spading right where I left it: after tier I. I used the S-100 (1945), the two SF-40s and no planes and in 4 games I got the 25k. By that time I only had 1 torpedo kill, 4 caps and 2 wins. After two 2,5 hours more I ended in a game having 9/10 wins, 3/5 torpedo kills and 14/15 caps and I fulfilled all three at once. Probably the most frustrating one was the torpedo kills. I made one kill quite early, then for about an hour none, then 2 kills with a single salvo, then another hour with none, and finally another double kill:016:.

Too bad that the problems that made my forget about naval (plane spam, atrocious AI, slow RP progress, 0 strategy involved) are still there, so as soon as I get the vehicles I'll condemn that mode to oblivion again.

Edited by _retro__gamer_
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

For today's achievement - 4.5 hours of play - 23 matches

I switched my JU out of a H111 with 2 torpedoes.

At about game 5 I though maybe things were going our way.  3 battles won, 4 destroyers killed, 3 torpedo kills,   one or two more games and we will have the damage, destroyers and torpedoes done.  Not bad. 

Then reality set in.  Teams were horrible (maybe because I am growling on here, Gaijin has decided to provide me with special RNG for my guns and damage)  for my win count is at 8 wins after 23 matches, I never saw another destroyer until battle 23. My ship would get hit once, blow up.  And the worst is the L3 and Pr123K.  You can fill them with 8 clips of 20 mm shells, but they will fire their MG back and rip you up in 2 seconds as happened to me in at least a couple of games.

10 games in before the first achievement was finished - finally did enough damage to the enemy.  Everything that could go against me could because in normal play I can get around 5 to 12K damage per game with these boats.

So I decided to slog on.  and it was painful.  It wasn't until game 21, that I finally got the torpedo quest done.

Then 2 more games and I had managed to cap 15 points.

And I feel burnt out after 2 days and don't know if the destroyer is worth all the torture of playing naval.  That is truthfully how I feel.

Edited by KillerAce4
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal

I'm blazing through the marks pretty fast on my USA 3.7 lineup. Only had to force cruiser/destroyer battles a few times but killing destroyers was relatively painless. Torpedoes were slightly harder to get but I eventually got it. Damage was also easy to get. Winning flip flops between easy and cursing at my teammates when they somehow die five minutes in. Never got the capture deed done because it was often exclusive with winning.

medal medal

Run 2.3 Brit with backups.

Gives you more chance for torpedo kills, is a good BR range for easier play, does insane damage with the 40mm, allows for 4-5 planes to be lined up so to be used for different situations to help win a battle, no worry at hitting destroyer battles. Going for wins, damage, and torp kills, especially at lower BRs, is the easiest way for me (with very poor ships at 3.7 and above on Brits it makes more sense than trying to run higher line ups).

medal medal medal medal medal medal

rather easy event.  In fact, most likely the easiest event I've played since joining.  (still remembering event where one needed 20 wins while finishing #1 on team)

full disclosure, I've been playing naval since its launched and have both CLs for USA and Russia.   CLs rack up damage rather quickly and jumping in a BTD(thanks war bonds) or a F6F gives one both a torp kill and a DD/CL kill in one press of the key board.  Not sure if its taken more than 5~6 battles to finish Damage, Torp, DD/CLs tasks each day.  

medal medal medal medal medal

12 minutes ago, Cpt_Sum_TingWong said:

rather easy event.  In fact, most likely the easiest event I've played since joining.  (still remembering event where one needed 20 wins while finishing #1 on team)

full disclosure, I've been playing naval since its launched and have both CLs for USA and Russia.   CLs rack up damage rather quickly and jumping in a BTD(thanks war bonds) or a F6F gives one both a torp kill and a DD/CL kill in one press of the key board.  Not sure if its taken more than 5~6 battles to finish Damage, Torp, DD/CLs tasks each day.  

Great feedback.

Unfortunately have not been able to put the time in, so my fleet is not as big. :( 

5 hours ago, Cpt_Sum_TingWong said:

I find it hard to get a game in CL's (30+ minutes and no game :() - so have been building up DD crew stats instead - although annoyingly a lot of those games have CL's so why didn't I get a game while I was waiting in those??  ggrrr.....

But yes - doesn't take long - maybe 6-10 games, with the 25000 pts usually being the final one obtained.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 hours ago, Cpt_Sum_TingWong said:

rather easy event.

Remember those words when Gaiijn decides to run an event again like April's Fools one, where there was no time to do both vehicles without spending money on the market that only a part of the players had access to.

I'm pretty sure this event wasn't just made for those that were already playing naval from start but also for those that still hadn't tried it. I've participated on the first naval tests(the first ones where PS4 players were allowed at least), but I can say that I barely touched naval battles since then until this event, and although I still find it a bit messy I can say that I'm having fun on most of my games, even playing stock boats.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Today, it was 17 games to achieve the mark of distinction.  And that was playing a destroyer, and I don't know how many times I died to the first plane flying over me.  So I don't know what is "rather easy" about the event.  Yes if you play, you will eventually get the awards, but how much can the average player play.  That was still over 3 hours of game play.  I have yet to see an 6 to 10 game to finish the achievement.  I almost feel you are talking out of your hat, but I don't think you would do that.  My average has been about 20 games for an achievement.

And it's funny how the positive feedback was commented on, but feedback provided by me, which is just as valid was not commented on. 

I feel this event, like any other event Gaijin puts on, demands almost complete slavery to the game to achieve it.  There were a few exceptions to that, like the April fools events where just about everyone could participate and some of the times that the tier 1 premium vehicle for the new tech trees.

Gaijin has a wonderful game, but most of their events feel designed to frustrate the player, not for the player's enjoyment, the majority of times I do not participate in them because they are soo frustrating.

medal medal medal

3 hours ago, KillerAce4 said:

Today, it was 17 games to achieve the mark of distinction.  And that was playing a destroyer, and I don't know how many times I died to the first plane flying over me.

I noted too. But if you look at the destroyers from left to right, the AA ability increases a lot. So lets hope the premium one has some roof. :018:

So I don't know what is "rather easy" about the event.  Yes if you play, you will eventually get the awards, but how much can the average player play.  That was still over 3 hours of game play.  I have yet to see an 6 to 10 game to finish the achievement.  I almost feel you are talking out of your hat, but I don't think you would do that.  My average has been about 20 games for an achievement.

I still find it easy in the sense that you can bring about what you need by your own ability. The 5 torpedo hits go quick with planes. The 25k damage just happens on the side.The destroyer kills themselves are no problem, as you testified. If you have a plane and red still an early destroyer, kaboom!

I feel this event, like any other event Gaijin puts on, demands almost complete slavery to the game to achieve it.

I don't agree here. I set out for the plane as a must have. But I found I can do OK in this event with unspaded vehicles and low grade crews. So I get to improve the vehicles and the crews and get a destroyer for it - deal! I am actually looking forward to doing the remaining medals. In fact, when this event was announced, I had no destroyer, and not one of the expensive needle eye vehicles for T3. Now I have 4 early destroyers.

Gaijin has a wonderful game, but most of their events feel designed to frustrate the player, not for the player's enjoyment, the majority of times I do not participate in them because they are soo frustrating.

The odd thing is:

That IS-7 event was soo cool. It delivered instant gratification. IIRC, I had only one stock lineup of T4 tanks at the time. Yet I could get that IS-7 while just spading tanks with casual play. No chase for assists, caps or whatever. 

And what happened? The community raged against it. Well, I don't blame Gaijin for it.

Edited by Dodo_Dud
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KillerAce4 said:

I feel this event, like any other event Gaijin puts on, demands almost complete slavery to the game to achieve it

Maybe you should change your approach. I'm doing each mark in about 1h or 1,5h tops by playing only the S-100 1944 (2.7) and the S-100 1945 (2.3). No planes nor anything else.

The strategy being:

1. Spawn in the spot nearest to the safest cap or the nearest one, depending on the cap layout for that particular map.

2. Go for it. Launch torpedoes on the way, aiming towards where the enemy is expected to appear.

3. Try to cap.

If you manage to cap:

4a. Go to the following cap, while launching torpedoes left and right

4b. When the cap has some cover, sometimes pays off to leave it, stay close under cover, and as soon as an enemy starts uncapping it, show up, kill him, maybe even with torpedoes, and cap it again. I've gathered up to four consecutive caps in some games by doing this.

If you fail to cap, which usually translates in you dying while doing so:

4c. Check the map, if there's still a chance of capping something that is not the far away cap, take the next boat. Otherwise, quit and find the next game. You will only have one boat available during the next few games but for this tactic is not much of a problem.

By doing that you'll achieve without problem the 15 caps tasks, the 5 torpedo kills, the 25K damage, and sometimes even the 10 wins, as your battle activity will be always high.

Edited by _retro__gamer_

2 hours ago, _retro__gamer_ said:

Maybe you should change your approach. I'm doing each mark in about 1h or 1,5h tops by playing only the S-100 1944 (2.7) and the S-100 1945 (2.3). No planes nor anything else.

The strategy being:

1. Spawn in the spot nearest to the safest cap or the nearest one, depending on the cap layout for that particular map.

2. Go for it. Launch torpedoes on the way, aiming towards where the enemy is expected to appear.

3. Try to cap.

If you manage to cap:

4a. Go to the following cap, while launching torpedoes left and right

4b. When the cap has some cover, sometimes pays off to leave it, stay close under cover, and as soon as an enemy starts uncapping it, show up, kill him, maybe even with torpedoes, and cap it again. I've gathered up to four consecutive caps in some games by doing this.

If you fail to cap, which usually translates in you dying while doing so:

4c. Check the map, if there's still a chance of capping something that is not the far away cap, take the next boat. Otherwise, quit and find the next game. You will only have one boat available during the next few games but for this tactic is not much of a problem.

By doing that you'll achieve without problem the 15 caps tasks, the 5 torpedo kills, the 25K damage, and sometimes even the 10 wins, as your battle activity will be always high.

Until I put the destroyer in my lineup, that is what I was using.  Could never hit the broad side of the barn with the torpedoes, no matter how many I shot off.  I think in one game it was over 20, even had one go under a ship.

And there never seemed to be any support.  I would head for the first easier to cap zone, and kill 2 to 3 enemy there, but the 4th enemy would get me and the 3 other random people with me would not shoot at him, as they were too busy caping and leaving me to die.  Maybe it's just my perception.

medal medal medal

37 minutes ago, KillerAce4 said:

Could never hit the broad side of the barn with the torpedoes, no matter how many I shot off.

Did you turn aiming on (Q)?

2 hours ago, Dodo_Dud said:

Did you turn aiming on (Q)?

Yep, but when you are trying to shoot speed boats, they turn very fast and change direction all the time.  so aiming does not do very much.  as the track shown is only if the player continues on the exact same bearing as was going when you shoot the torpedoes.

medal medal medal

22 minutes ago, KillerAce4 said:

Yep, but when you are trying to shoot speed boats, they turn very fast and change direction all the time.  so aiming does not do very much.  as the track shown is only if the player continues on the exact same bearing as was going when you shoot the torpedoes.

The key most of the times is to shoot to the melee. Either that or ambush somebody while waiting behind a mountain. I don't know how replays work, but maybe you can check mines from yesterday.

4 hours ago, KillerAce4 said:

I would head for the first easier to cap zone, and kill 2 to 3 enemy there, but the 4th enemy would get me and the 3 other random people with me would not shoot at him, as they were too busy caping and leaving me to die.  Maybe it's just my perception.

Then, 4c ;). I rarely rely on teammates for that matter. I go to the cap, and in case it doesn't have any kind of cover I smoke myself and hope for the best. But there are usually two caps near to spawns in every map, so I tend to pick the one with cover for the side I spawn in. In asymmetrical maps like the desert one for example, the choice is clear.

Edited by _retro__gamer_

1 hour ago, KillerAce4 said:

trying to shoot speed boats

Logical conclusion: Don't shoot the speed boats. Shoot the slow stuff.

Edited by Dodo_Dud
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this