Sign in to follow this  
Pony51

Event: Sea Voyage - Arcade edition

Have a unique mini-event going.

(Forum post)

What do people think about this and which of the  tasks will be easier to achieve in Arcade battles?

Tasks to receive “Marks of Distinction”

• Cause 25,000 cumulative damage on the enemy whilst controlling naval vessels in multiple battles.
  • Win 10 times in Naval Battles with an activity of 50% or higher whilst controlling aircraft or ship.
  • Capture 15 zones in Naval Battles whilst controlling aircraft or naval vessels in multiple battles (naval).
  • Destroy 5 enemies using torpedoes whilst controlling aircraft or naval vessels in multiple battles (naval).
  • Sink 5 ships, either cruiser or destroyers in any combination, whilst controlling aircraft or naval vessels in multiple battles (naval).

You can purchase “Marks of Distinction” for GE without completing the tasks. You can do it by clicking on your nickname → Achievements → Sea

Tasks can be completed in Arcade and Realistic game modes in Naval Battles in aircraft or naval vessels of rank 2-4 unless otherwise specified. You can find out the exact conditions of achievements in the game client.

• The tasks will be updated at 11:00 GMT every two days.
  • A Mark of Distinction has been received if its achievement has turned golden.
  • You can purchase missed Marks of Distinction in the Achievement tab until 14th of March.
  • All the prizes will be given instantly after a player completes the required tasks. The “Leningrad” destroyer unlike other prizes will be given as a coupon.
  • The coupon for the destroyer “Leningrad” will become available for trading on the Market after March 15th. You can check the exact time in the coupon’s description.

IMO they are all fairly simple - making them over multiple battles is a great leveler :)

1. 25,000 damage - if you don't play naval much this may seem a lot, but even small boats are worth several hundred damage when sunk, and DD's and Cruisers a few thousand each.  So if you are reasonably competitive and sink a couple of ships each game this should only take 5-10 battles.
  2. Win 10 battles with 50% activity - speaks for itself - just keep playing until your team mates overcome the handicap that is you! :D
  3. Cap 15 zones - can probably get this in 10 battles......
  4. get 5 torpedo kills - self explanatory - and since torpedoes are probably THE most dangerous weapon system in eth game not too hard
  5. Sink 5 DD/CL - this one requires you to be up at DD/CL levels of course, but if you have those ships then you'll sometimes do this in 1 very good game - of 5 poor ones!

so all in all not particularly arduous at all :)

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 18/02/2019 at 16:19, Josephs_Piano said:

IMO they are all fairly simple - making them over multiple battles is a great leveler :)

1. 25,000 damage - if you don't play naval much this may seem a lot, but even small boats are worth several hundred damage when sunk, and DD's and Cruisers a few thousand each.  So if you are reasonably competitive and sink a couple of ships each game this should only take 5-10 battles.
  2. Win 10 battles with 50% activity - speaks for itself - just keep playing until your team mates overcome the handicap that is you! :D
  3. Cap 15 zones - can probably get this in 10 battles......
  4. get 5 torpedo kills - self explanatory - and since torpedoes are probably THE most dangerous weapon system in eth game not too hard
  5. Sink 5 DD/CL - this one requires you to be up at DD/CL levels of course, but if you have those ships then you'll sometimes do this in 1 very good game - of 5 poor ones!

so all in all not particularly arduous at all :)

Don't tell him they are easy, he'll pass it on to the developers and they will change the tasks.  :DD

First 3 will probably be doable.  Torpedo kills will be harder (or maybe not, I had not read closely enough and thought it was in one battle) and the DD/CL, I have only sunk one so far.

Edited by KillerAce4
medal medal medal

16 minutes ago, KillerAce4 said:

Don't tell him they are easy, he'll pass it on to the developers and they will change the tasks.  :DD

Oh noes!!

didn't actually say easy - said "not particularly arduous" - with any luck that's too many syllables for them! ;)

16 minutes ago, KillerAce4 said:

First 3 will probably be doable.  Torpedo kills will be harder (or maybe not, I had not read closely enough and thought it was in one battle) and the DD/CL, I have only sunk one so far.

You should be getting lots of torpedo kills with PT boats - and just need to get up among the higher BR's to get DD and CL kills - one of may main DD/CL killers is a Pr 123 - and generally any small fast torp boat will often get a DD or CL kill in game - thus getting you points in 3 categories at once!

6 minutes ago, Josephs_Piano said:

You should be getting lots of torpedo kills with PT boats - and just need to get up among the higher BR's to get DD and CL kills - one of may main DD/CL killers is a Pr 123 - and generally any small fast torp boat will often get a DD or CL kill in game - thus getting you points in 3 categories at once!

PR123 is a tier 1 ship.  Will it count the DD and CL kills, or is it just like other times where what boat/plane you finish in is what counts.

medal medal medal

On 18/02/2019 at 15:09, Pony51 said:

Tasks can be completed in Arcade and Realistic game modes in Naval Battles in aircraft or naval vessels of rank 2-4 unless otherwise specified. You can find out the exact conditions of achievements in the game client.

Naval Daily Tasks just require ships of BR 2.0 and up, would it be possible to make the naval "distinction marks" obtainable the same way, or will I need to grind out a rank 2 ship and sail enough time in it? Otherwise I'll only have the one rank 2 ship to complete the event in.

medal

3 hours ago, KillerAce4 said:

PR123 is a tier 1 ship.  Will it count the DD and CL kills, or is it just like other times where what boat/plane you finish in is what counts.

Good point - usually these things count if you start hte game with the required BR...  after that you can use anything - won't take long to figure out :)

Well, if this event goes by the event rules...

Wins would count if you end in a T2 (easy to investigate if t2 plane works too)

Kills & caps would count if the actor is T2+.

Damage... no previous experience... Base tonnage would not count in the past below prescribed tier iirc.

Edited by Dodo_Dud
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, Lord_Cactuar said:

Naval Daily Tasks just require ships of BR 2.0 and up, would it be possible to make the naval "distinction marks" obtainable the same way, or will I need to grind out a rank 2 ship and sail enough time in it? Otherwise I'll only have the one rank 2 ship to complete the event in.

It's rank II vehicles, not BR 2.0

Rank and BR are different.  You have to unlock X number of vehicles to open up the next rank.  If you look at the left hand side of the research tree, you will see the ranks

medal medal medal

3 hours ago, KillerAce4 said:

It's rank II vehicles, not BR 2.0

Rank and BR are different.  You have to unlock X number of vehicles to open up the next rank.  If you look at the left hand side of the research tree, you will see the ranks

I know rank and BR are different. I'm saying that naval daily tasks are BR dependent, but the event is rank dependent, and I *don't* have any rank II ships and will need to grind to one if rank II ships are a necessity.

medal

In another thread a staff member indicated that only stuff done in a rank 2 vehicle will count. Getting in a rank 2 boat, getting killed and spawning in a rank 1 bomber, torpedoing something and getting back to a rank 2 vehicle would therefore not give you a torpedo kill.

medal medal medal

Perhaps the big issue is having a unit with high enough BE to encounter DD's

1 hour ago, Pony51 said:

You start seeing them at 2.7 - so not particularly high.

I just grinded down the german tree to a first destroyer. Why?

For one reason, to be able to have a BR in which I get to see destroyers (and hopefully kill them somehow)

But also to be able to provide destroyers as (cheap) targets. If we all have destroyers ready, we can farm 5 of them more quickly.

Perhaps I get the first russian destroyer in time too.

8 hours ago, Pony51 said:

You can raise your BR by use of planes.

Since the event began I have seen some of the worst games ever.

Events really do destroy the chance of a real match, at least until 11th March.

Easy to do the event but no fun at all.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

12 hours ago, Dodo_Dud said:

You can raise your BR by use of planes.

Game limits you to +0.6 above your highest BR ship.

I tried.

So, not much.

1 hour ago, Pony51 said:

I tried.

So, not much.

Enough to get you opposing DD's at 2.3 instead of 2.7 if you want.

1 hour ago, Pony51 said:

I tried.

So, not much.

I haven't tried but you should then be able to go from 2.7 to 3.3 then. That should do the trick.

Well, Pony51, you can pass along the message that achieving 3 tasks for a mark of distinction is way to hard based on the experience I had to earn my first mark of distinction today.  Also, there should have been a task for shooting down planes, considering the pain in the backside that they are.

Play by play analysis.

1st task was done after about 5 battles.  I was happy about that - total damage inflicted.  and I had 4 of 5 destroyers killed  Things were looking up.

Then the team decided it was a great time for a losing streak, and the team lost 7 of the first 10 games.

Then the team decided it was a great time for a winning streak and the team won 7 of the next 10 games.  Task 2 done - win 10, and surprisingly the battle activity requirement was low enough that it did not punish you if you went for C spawn out in the boonies that you sail for 10 minutes to reach.

After these 20 games the destroyer total still sat at 4 of 5, had not destroyed a destroyer in 15 battles, in fact I only saw 2 during all these battles and I bombed both of them and they refused to die, they just spit out the 250Kg bombs I was shoving down their throat.

Then the RNG decided to have some fun with me.  Things felt wonky,  Torpedoes passed under a boat without blowing up, getting hit with 1 40 mm and blowing up, bombs falling out of the sky and the enemy plane only showing up after my death even though he was only 0.5 km away in the open, even though I have 4 - quad 20 mm guns set to auto shoot the planes. the German barge does it better than me, and the patch notes said AI would shoot at planes flying towards me.

So after a rage inducing 5 more games where I cannot kill anything for the life of me, things decided to turn back for the better,

In game 26, I managed to cap a couple of zones and get my total up to 14 of 15.

This is it game 27, this will win it for me, I hope.  1 destroyer, 1 cap, or 4 torpedo kills.  I must of fired off over 200 torpedoes during battles, but only managed 1 kill the whole night, and a couple of hits in the middle of smaller than destroyer vessels that kept on sailing, don't ask me how, it was at the wonky time I was talking about up above.

Get into game 27, pull into the first cap zone, get hit by something that I cannot see, get set on fire, burn to death even before I can hit the fire extinguisher button (which is on automatic).  Not good, not good at all.  Hop into the second boat, shoot a good number of things, almost cap a point and as i was trying to spin around the tiny minuscule circle to stay moving so not to be a juicy sitting duck, the turn radius of the S100 will not allow me to keep it between the buoys, and I pull out for 2 seconds and the other person in the circle gets a cap.  A few seconds latter, I get killed. 

What do I do now, 2 boats down, caps captured, did not see a destroyer out there.  Decide to look at the game statistics, and low and behold, there is a destroyer out there, and by the look of the player, he actually has 3 in the line up, and is on the first.  So I hop in my trusty JU 87, with 3 meaty 500 KG (they won't spit these out when I shove them down their throat) bombs aboard.  So I am taking my leisurely (no other way to describe flying that plane) time to reach the destroyer.  When I am about half way there, a p47 zips by me, no, please die teammate without dropping your bombs (I only wished him dead, I did not shoot him).  I watch him approach the destroyer, and it opens up for all it's worth, shells flying all over the place, but the nimble P47 dodges them, like dodging trees in the middle of a baseball diamond.  He plants one right on the sucker and that's it for the destroyer, but the destroyer was in mid swing and manages to shear a wing off (of course it's always after the bomb's drop).

Now what do I do?  He was the only player with a destroyer, will he spawn a second one.  I continue to leisurely fly toward the destroyer spawn, and no I am not spawn camping, I am still only halfway across the map.  Finally I am above him, I have climbed now to 2000 m and start my dive.  I dodge the first salvo, by jinking left, the second by pulling out of my dive, the third by spinning sideways.  I finally get close to him, then really close, then really really close.  I hit my space bar and hope that it will register (Packet loss at times is upwards of 20% in spikes, but my internet provider swears there is nothing wrong with the line), I hear the falling bomb sound,  I now wish Gaijin had installed the automatic pull out for the dive bomber, as I don't know if I could depress my S key anymore to get out of the dive, Unfortunately, I pulled out about 2 meters to late and that landing gear hits the water and rips off, pulling me nose first into the water.  But I heard the boom of the bombs and look at the battle feed and see that I got a kill!!!

I wait patiently until the end of the match and see that I got awarded the mark of distinction. YES, finally.

So 27 games, some rage, and 5 hours and 40 minutes of my life I am never going to see again, but I got my first mark of distinction!  Almost a full days work for 1 mark of distinction, now since it is 4 AM here and I get up to go to work at 7, I'm going to bed!  Only another 46 hours of play time to collect all the marks. 

TL DR

I feel that is quite a large commitment for casual players to earn these marks of distinction.  5 to 6 hours a day for a casual player is a little much, 1 hour maybe 2 at the most, and even then, I'm sure there are players that would not be able to commit even that much time.

Edited by KillerAce4
medal medal medal

12 minutes ago, KillerAce4 said:

TL DR

I feel that is quite a large commitment for casual players to earn these marks of distinction.  5 to 6 hours a day for a casual player is a little much, 1 hour maybe 2 at the most, and even then, I'm sure there are players that would not be able to commit even that much time.

Now I am certainly a most casual navy player so far. But after a short time of figuring out on how to do the event, things went rather smoothly yesterday.

My suggestion for a quick grab are these three tasks:

25k,

5 destroyers

5 torpedoes

( I got them in this order)

What you need to do ONCE however is this: Grind one destroyer. Just go straight down the tree and you are set. I just did this myself. Grind vertically throught T2 into T3. Germany is very well suited. Their destroyer is bargain basement (18.000 RP iirc) and they have torpedoes.

To speed it up, I invested 90 GE into the reserve.

5 minutes ago, Lord_of_Sofa said:

Which BR did you play on and what was your lineup?

S100 (1945), S100 (1944), the 20 mm flak barge, BF109, JU 87

BR was 3.3

medal medal medal

On 18/02/2019 at 12:09, Pony51 said:

What do people think about this and which of the  tasks will be easier to achieve in Arcade battles?

Tasks to receive “Marks of Distinction”

• Cause 25,000 cumulative damage on the enemy whilst controlling naval vessels in multiple battles.
  • Win 10 times in Naval Battles with an activity of 50% or higher whilst controlling aircraft or ship.
  • Capture 15 zones in Naval Battles whilst controlling aircraft or naval vessels in multiple battles (naval).
  • Destroy 5 enemies using torpedoes whilst controlling aircraft or naval vessels in multiple battles (naval).
  • Sink 5 ships, either cruiser or destroyers in any combination, whilst controlling aircraft or naval vessels in multiple battles (naval).

Pony51,

I usually would play this in RB, so it took some time to get use to the mechanic difference in AB. But my reason for switching was due to the torpedo reload, and AB tends to be quicker most of time when completing event requirements. Plus I don't like playing Arcade+ Conquest/Domination mode in RB/SB, but prefer an Enduring Confrontation/historical map environment instead.

Took an hour or so, but complete it with these marks:

• 25,000 damage
  • 5 torpedo kills
  • 5 destroyer kills

Now there are some issues with this event to reconsider:

1. In the current state and unbalance nature of Naval, having 15 capture points is a bit much for 2 days considering that everyone will focus on such a task with the fastest boat. So this can be pretty competitive between team players fighting over it with the spammy amount of players rushing for caps, so it requires more battles as usual to complete it for the typical player. This is not going to be doable for most in 2 days time when considering the time they can only put in a few hours at most. Having this around 8 or 10 will be a bit more comfortable to complete.
  2. Torpedo hits was not difficult, but also exploits the common problem with the Naval map design regarding spawn locations being too close with each other. It allows the length of torpedoes to be blind fired and able to reach into the enemy spawn, killing anyone who was unlucky enough to spawn in at that time. This also encourages players to take planes with torpedoes and suicide rush ships to get that kill. Not much you can do to prevent it as many will use any easy method to get tasks done quickly. But it also doesn't help that Radio fuse HE shells are not working correctly when a player fires them at aircraft, failing to burst when reaching near the aircraft target. So you heavily rely on your A.I. AA crew to protect you.
  3. The destroyer kills was much easier to get done taking an aircraft and dropping a 1,000/2,000 lbs bomb on target. Doing it as a boat is not that simple in Arcade due to the tags; much easier in RB mode. And frankly it was pretty annoying getting teams of everyone starting off as a destroyer, but hardly anyone in boats to contest capture locations. So the match was one-sided and ended quickly as a loss due to ticket bleed. There has to be cap on bigger vessels that are active at one time, just like bombers in air modes. I'm sure most are doing it thinking it's the effective thing to do in order to kill 5 cruisers/destroyers, not considering you can easily and quickly take them out with aircraft.

Edited by I_Termx_I
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

27 minutes ago, I_Termx_I said:

And frankly it was pretty annoying getting teams of everyone starting off as a destroyer

From the perspective of an event player, a torpedo battle among destroyers is win win.

If we don't spawn destroyers, there won't be targets.

Sign in to follow this