Yes it's another one of those topics. Yes I do need to learn to play better, but no, I'm not one of those "turnfight at 200m alt" people. I know a thing or two, strengths and weaknesses, couple of maneuvers... Except I'm not seeing how the "strengths" of Allied planes are supposed to be in any way useful against the "weaknesses" of Axis planes.

Plain and simple. When I play Axis, I win. When I play Allies, I lose. Germans sit on the throne of the current climb meta. Italian armaments shred. japanese climb well, turn great, can keep up with you in a dive, in a straight line, their armaments are pretty good... Now I can just return to playing Bf109s and put it out of my mind, or notice that this game is going down in flames real fast with the current state of Air RB. Now, USA & UK vs Germany & Italy is... Manageable. At best. But Russia vs Japan is just 100% one-sided. Ideas for solutions?

EDIT: Sideclimb? So that I'm the only one left alive with the rest of the team diving to the deck to pound the ground and turnfight?

Edited by faustian00

TheElite96 (Posted )

Moved to Air Force Academy

Perhaps you can find some help here from our community. You may come to find that advice given here is quite useful... I know that has been the case for me! Cheers
  • Confused 1

Squad up so you have at least 4 people left on your team after the potatoes finish potatoing to death.

Edit: There is really no way to get around the popularity of the U.S. air tech tree with new players.

It has been a thing for as long as I have been in the game. :dntknw:

Edited by GregKjr
  • Upvote 1
medal

On 08/02/2019 at 11:38, faustian00 said:

Germans sit on the throne of the current climb meta. Italian armaments shred. japanese climb well, turn great, can keep up with you in a dive, in a straight line, their armaments are pretty good...

That's news to me. I play the Italian tree a lot and feel like I've put belts of ammo into enemies to no avail.

My British and French trees are pretty weak, but I've had success with Boom n Zoom tactics in US planes. If you can get a good line on a target, you can take a few planes down per match this way. You just have to be patient with the process of speeding away, gaining altitude, then picking another target. I find that US planes are great at taking down bombers, as they tend to stay on course and not engage you in a turn fight. When I play AB with the US tree, I usually climb high to hunt bombers, then hover above the fray to look for BnZ victims.

Edited by MovingtargeT

The plane plays a part, the pilot plays the majority...

Pretty much exclusively US player here....unless you are not talking plane vs plane, but overall match results...in which case its who ever has the best bomber spamming machine in effect wins. 

medal medal

American teams are bad, simple as that. When I play Germans I constantly see allied players a low altitude. When I play my yak-3 I see that I have p51s lower than me. (yak-3 is low altitude beast). The best way to resolve your problem is too move on to literally any other nation or move on to higher Br's where bad teams are less noticeable. It's a shame that balanced low-mid Br America has to be ruined by bad players. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Have to disagree with Tyger.....You may find a room with bad teams on it (regardless of nation), but overall its a difference in game style.  

One of the qualifiers I do on posts like this is take a look at the source....Tyger is a ground attack machine...using Fighter aircraft to do so.   I fly pure fighters (ground attack is what I do to silence a pesky AAA site) so I can kill in peace:)

So based on playing style (am I there to win the battle, or am I there to enjoy the fights?), the sides may seem very different.

I've seen more cooperation overall on the Axis side, but I've been in a room where the US side played together and shortly we found ourselves in a bot only war.  

Weakness of the game is the ability to leave a room for a "easier" room...good players will run out the opposition is what we have found.

Basics of success in aerial combat. 

Try to enter a fight with Energy advantage...be it Kinetic or Potential Energy. 

Know your aircraft strengths and weaknesses.....

Know your opponents strengths and weaknesses.  

Leave a fight if you are moving down the BFM scale (from winning to neutral) BEFORE you go defensive....

Lose sight, lose fight.  Can't fight what you don't see!

Maneuver in relation to the enemy....think high speed chess...move, counter, move, counter....etc... every move should be to either create problems for the  other side to solve (if defensive) or solve problems to get a gunshot if offensive.  This is the area where most mistakes are made...

and my favorite:
"No Guts, no glory. If you are going to shoot him down,  you have to get in there and mix it up with him." --Frederick C. Blesse., Major General, USAF, Double Ace

Bottom  line is you learn by doing....so don't be afraid to jump in and attack.  If you are truly serious about getting better you can even watch replays...from your perspective and from the bandits perspective.

Custom battles where it is just a battle royal is a great place to get better.....because who cares....shoot, get shot, fight, fight, fight! But bottom line is have fun!

medal medal

In U.S. planes you can always start a 10 degree dive away from the enemy as long as you start when they're around 2 miles away.  I outran a spaded G-14 in my stock D-25 this way.