MiniMe943

What's happening with the Wiki?

Went to check the page, and everything's... changed.

Firstly, I want to say that it does look good, looks a lot cleaner, and it's a welcome face lift.

But now, the issues. It's saying my account isn't registered, my User page is gone, pages are saying they're "Protected" and that you have to be a Moderator to edit them? Some templates seem broken or wrong... there's a lot here that's really concerning, and I can't find any info on what all's happening. So, hopefully someone can fill me in, and let me know what's up.

Edited by MiniMe943
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, MiniMe943 said:

Went to check the page, and everything's... changed.

The wiki is being converted over to the new format wiki, everything is in flux at this point as it gets transitioned over.  Give it a few hours (maybe a day) for the admins and devs to get everything sorted out.  We should have you back on and editing in a short while.   Hopefully, we (at least moderators/admins) will have access to the old wiki and we can move over necessary stuff like all the work you put together on your name page.  You mentioned there are broken or "wrong" templates, can you list the ones you are having issues with?  Which browser are you using?  I am using Firefox and Chrome and they all seem to work for me.  Some templates have been reformated or streamlined so they may function a little different than what you are used to with the old wiki.

-AN_TRN_26

medal medal medal

2 hours ago, MiniMe943 said:

my User page is gone

MiniMe943, I have imported all of the information from your old user page to the new one (cut and paste), it all should be there.  There is a possibility that an image or two may not have imported, but all of the information is there.

medal medal medal

1 minute ago, blastedryan said:

no more approval required on the wiki?!

Moderators are still approving pages, I just approved your user page.

medal medal medal

5 minutes ago, AN_TRN_26 said:

Moderators are still approving pages, I just approved your user page.

Yeah I need to turn off the grouping of edits.

How much data was transferred over from the old wiki? It seems like very little to none was transferred.

medal medal medal

10 minutes ago, blastedryan said:

How much data was transferred over from the old wiki? It seems like very little to none was transferred.

We had to be selective with the transfer of data.  The new format was created and we had to transfer the most complete information from the old wiki.  Some vehicle pages didn't have much beyond "Pros and Cons" so those were just given a general format (clean slate) on the new wiki for users to work on.  We tried to bring over as many of the pages as we could, however, there was only so much the four of us could do in the time we had.  We (moderators and administrators) still have access to the old wiki, if there is anything missing you want, let us know and we can retrieve it and drop it into the new wiki for you.

medal medal medal

The presentation and layout are good, and feel a lot tidier. It's good for the game to have a unique feel to it's wiki, as it differentiates it from competitors who stick with the basic wikipedia design. 

I understand the process of importing the old content may take a few days and I'm sure some from the community would love to help you. Also, as soon as this is done, you guys deserve a news post on the official website and social medias. 

I wouldn't mind my user page back up, I'd offer to do it myself but you guys have access. 

medal medal medal medal medal

10 minutes ago, JakeTheDoge said:

I wouldn't mind my user page back up, I'd offer to do it myself but you guys have access. 

If you are requesting a restoration, we have a sub-forum for that now. Please verify your account on the wiki however by logging in and linking your page url or by making an edit so we can find your page.

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Wow, I was waiting for a reply, and I come back to find several. Thanks everyone.

2 hours ago, AN_TRN_26 said:

MiniMe943, I have imported all of the information from your old user page to the new one (cut and paste), it all should be there.  There is a possibility that an image or two may not have imported, but all of the information is there.

Thank you, much appreciated.

3 hours ago, AN_TRN_26 said:

The wiki is being converted over to the new format wiki, everything is in flux at this point as it gets transitioned over.

I figured it might just be a side effect of transitioning, but wanted to be sure.

3 hours ago, AN_TRN_26 said:

You mentioned there are broken or "wrong" templates, can you list the ones you are having issues with? ...  Some templates have been reformated or streamlined so they may function a little different than what you are used to with the old wiki.

That might've been poor phrasing on my part, what I was referencing was pages like the F2H-2 Banshee only having a {{USA jet aircrafts}} template, as opposed to the old template, but this kind of loops back to the transitioning, and I'm sure that's probably going to be a non-issue.

Again, thanks for all the replies, I'm mainly just happy to see things are working for me now (can edit pages, User page is back), and I look forward to seeing how things go post-transition.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

56 minutes ago, JakeTheDoge said:

I wouldn't mind my user page back up, I'd offer to do it myself but you guys have access

Jake, your user page information has been imported from the old wiki.  If there is anything missing, let me know and I will do what I can to get it added.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

If i can make a small, but IMHO very useful suggestion...it would be nice if the vehicles tree on the NEW WIKI could display the BR rating as the normal game tree does...

Probably requires a tab on top to switch between AB/RB/SB, so not sure if simple...but would be very practical...and info is already there, i think...

It would be rather complicated. The trees are made up of various templates, so although you should (in theory) be able to add BR to the Tree-Unit template I'm not sure how you would do the switching between AB, RB and SB. An easier (but still not particularly easy, and not as good looking) solution might be to modify the template so that when you mouse over a vehicle it tells you the BR in AB, RB and SB. A bit like when you hover over some fields on the side bar it offers an explanation. Make it so that when you hover over a vehicle the popup say something like "Battle Ratings: AB 1.7, RB 2.0, SB 2.3".

Example of what I'm talking about on the side bar:

U0715AM.png

Obviously I imagine any changes to such an important template would need all sorts of testing and approvals.

Edited by Flame2512

I don't think it would be too difficult. You would have to modify template:Tree-Unit and Tree-Unit-Prem to get and display the BR. The tricky part coding wise would be the tabs to switch between modes. It is certainly doable since it's been done for the sidebars.

The biggest issue I see is that it would bog down the page.

medal medal medal

On 08/02/2019 at 16:50, blastedryan said:

I don't think it would be too difficult. You would have to modify template:Tree-Unit and Tree-Unit-Prem to get and display the BR. The tricky part coding wise would be the tabs to switch between modes. It is certainly doable since it's been done for the sidebars.

The biggest issue I see is that it would bog down the page.

Well I've now got AB/RB/SB switching working on a map page, so doing it in the tech tree looks fairly possible now. In theory you just need to include 3 <span> elements with the ttx-ab, ttx-rb, and ttx-sb classes and put the brs within them on the template, then just add the buttons from the stat card to the tech tree page. As you said though no idea how this will affect page performance, but I can't imagine it will do it any favours.

And then of course there is the question of if Gaijin want us messing around with those templates.

Edited by Flame2512

Has all the old data been lost? Many planes have little to no data in the new wiki, and the category page with a link to every belt for each weapon is gone, as well as the data sheets for the belts themselves.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 30/03/2019 at 01:41, Taurick said:

Has all the old data been lost? Many planes have little to no data in the new wiki, and the category page with a link to every belt for each weapon is gone, as well as the data sheets for the belts themselves.

Not all of them, however we have currently discontinued the aerial weapons page due to them being outdated.

If there are certain pages you would like to see being restored, please make a post in the Restore section.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

6 hours ago, ShekelsPLS said:

Is it only me or are letters missing sporadicaly in the wiki?

Screenshot_20190920-011817_Chrome.jpg

Hello,

What format are you viewing this image from? My mobile can display everything on the wiki fine.

Hello Inceptor57,

english isn´t my first language. I´m not shure what you mean with format but I will give you as many informations as I can.

If you wan´t to know anything else I will be glad to provide it.

Hardware:

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935F)

Display Resolution 1440x2560

Aspect Ratio 16:9

Software:

Android 8.0.0

Samsung Experience Version 9.0

Android Security Patch 1. June 2019

Google Chrome for Android Version 77.0.3865.92

medal medal medal

On 21/09/2019 at 13:37, *J26Lennox26 said:

1025473281_shot2019_09_2103_06_20.thumb.

Me too. Do we need to do a Bug report about this or? there's some mods aware of this?

4 hours ago, ShekelsPLS said:

The issue is gone in my case. There was no browser update. I have no clue what solved it. By the way I didn't make a bug report.

Hello,

From my conversations around, it seems to be a problem on Chrome only.

If this issue ever comes up again, try refreshing the Chrome cache via Ctrl-F5 on the PC or its respective method on other platforms. If refreshing doesn't work, clear cache.

Hope this works out. Please send a reply if a follow-up is needed.

Edited by Inceptor57
  • Like 1