Diomedesbc

Bomber Gunners Useless

Just recently came back after about 6 months and sure have noticed a difference in AI bomber gunners.  I read that gaijin nerfed them but man they might as well stay at the airbase and save me the weight.

How about at least they notify me when an aircraft is 100m off my tail.  Twice last night I was concentrating on dropping bombs and first I knew there was a fighter on my tail was the tracers flying past.  Switched to gunner view just in time to die and see how close the fighter was.

If they're not going to fire maybe have them radio me "Hey Captain, there's a fighter right on our tail."  Seems like a nice compromise if they don't want them to actually fire.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

41 minutes ago, Uchinanchuu said:

Even at maximum skill, gunners won’t fire until the enemy is closer than 210m.  Gaijin nerfed them last year for who the hell knows what reason.

True, but buffed their targeting noticeably improves, and at "Ace" they become meat grinders.

26 minutes ago, McSlash said:

... at "Ace" they become meat grinders.

I do not even want to imagine how log I'd have to play single bomber to get ace crew.

That said due to last event's "10t challenge" I've improved by GE and US bomber crew and increase in effectiveness is significant.
I think most important factor is "skilled gunners" number - you don't have to max it but check which bomber of given nation have most gunners and bump it to that number eventually.
Right now my crews that are 80% maxed out (when it comes to accuracy and precision) and have correct numbers of skilled gunners and have expert qualifications are more or less effective at helping me survive.

They won't prevent me from taking damage and might not get that many kills but they put enough lead downrange that it makes enemy think twice before attacking and certainly do not allow them to take good aim.

I think you need to get at least 3.5-4 points in accuracy and precision skills and expert crew and correct number of experienced gunners for them to be of any use at all and I can imagine that aced out with maxed skills they might be quite effective.

medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, przybysz86 said:

I do not even want to imagine how long I'd have to play single bomber to get ace crew.

A day or two, if you do it right. And yes, ace gunners do hit way better.

4 hours ago, Diomedesbc said:

it takes a massive amount of skill points to train up gunners.

Actually, gunner skills is the cheapest part of crew training.

Edited by Dodo_Dud
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 minutes ago, Dodo_Dud said:

A day or two, if you do it right. And yes, ace gunners do hit way better.

Out of curiosity...can you describe HOW?

I just made my first ace crew (in tanks) and it took OVER A YEAR!

I know you must be successful...but have no idea HOW you can do it in ONE DAY!?!?

(I am assuming RB and destroying several bases...but "a day or two" seems wildly optimistic...so i may be missing something...hence the question)

1 hour ago, *GhostSoph said:

I know you must be successful...but have no idea HOW you can do it in ONE DAY!?!?

(I am assuming RB and destroying several bases...but "a day or two" seems wildly optimistic...so i may be missing something...hence the question)

Tanks level up much slower than air; also RB is **** for getting crew skills. You use one aircraft; AB AF and just spam the xxxx out of it. Or you do what he likely does; which is what i just described while running a golden wager.

5 minutes ago, *GhostSoph said:

Easy! Wait for the chronicles! You get the same map again and again and again - with 100% certainty. Many of these maps have bases. Most players ignore the bases but play for the wins. You will not get to kill the airfield (time is too short), but usually, the three bases are all yours. Again and again and again. Need I say more? Lots of SL too.

The ace crew is a byproduct. I usually bring up crews that way.

Edited by Dodo_Dud
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dodo_Dud said:

Easy! Wait for the chronicles! You get the same map again and again and again - with 100% certainty. Many of these maps have bases. Most players ignore the bases but play for the wins. You will not get to kill the airfield, but usually, the three bases are all yours. Again and again and again. Need I say more?

Just one thing...how many runs (aprox)? (Have no idea...assuming less than 100 if done in a day)

And any similar "trick" for tanks :Bayan:???

Edited by *GhostSoph

7 minutes ago, IOC_000 said:

Or you do what he likely does; which is what i just described while running a golden wager.

Could you please explain?

3 minutes ago, *GhostSoph said:

Just one thing...how many runs (aprox)? (Have no idea...assuming less than 100 if done in a day)

You have to do the math yourself, as it differs for plane, premium, talisman etc.

Example: Ju 88 A4 needs 190.000 xp for ace. During the last chronicles it took 23 missions to ace the crew. Without premium or talisman, that would be like 90.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, McSlash said:

Just a few of my bombers you don't want to loiter around;

Interesting, you neglect vitality but skill G tolerance and stamina. Any reasons ? I do the complete opposite, reasoning that heavy bombers won't pull many G's but gunners WILL get hit. Are gunner "kills" bugged at the moment ? I sure have been fired upon by a me410 / IL2 turret after having the "gunner unconscious" popup, but have never been sure whether the message is bugged, or the gunner DM, or if you can somehow manually fire the turret of a dead gunner (I know I can't).

medal

double post - sorry

Edited by przybysz86

Is ACE crew that much butter vs maxed out expert crew?

I do not play bombers* that much to actually be able to ACE any crew for them in foreseeable future - especially since I do not fly in AB, RB or SB ops.

Not to mention that ACE requirement is higher than expert and I my "bomber crews" just won't have level to ACE rank IV (and often even rank III) even if I want to.

Edited by przybysz86

I have aced crew on the Pe-8 and i can tell you that those gunners shred planes like crazy.

What gunners are useless in are realistic battles... THERE even with perfect crew skills they are useless.

• Upvote 1
medal

3 hours ago, Turra said:

I have aced crew on the Pe-8 and i can tell you that those gunners shred planes like crazy.

What gunners are useless in are realistic battles... THERE even with perfect crew skills they are useless.

EDITED AS I WAS ON WRONG FORUM SECTION...CAN DELETE

Edited by *GhostSoph

In simulation battles i have also noticed that 7.7mgs don't do any damage?

I jumped into my halifax and got a spitfire on my tail, i shot and hit that spitfire for nearly 3 minutes untill finally i died to him.

The only thing that happened was "hit" texts and this gray X that apperas when you hit but do no damage.

He was about 200-500m away during this time.

• Upvote 1
medal

2 hours ago, DerGrafVonZahl said:

Some of you might be in the wro g section of the forum. The bomber fighter dynamic is a lot different in SB. As this is the SB section your posts about the AB/RB dynamic might give the wrong impression about the state of SB...

My Bad. Sorry...i keep ignoring the section as i reply to the TOPIC TITLE.

What i said IS NOT valid in SB as far as i know.

9 hours ago, Spendius said:

Interesting, you neglect vitality but skill G tolerance and stamina. Any reasons ? I do the complete opposite, reasoning that heavy bombers won't pull many G's but gunners WILL get hit. Are gunner "kills" bugged at the moment ? I sure have been fired upon by a me410 / IL2 turret after having the "gunner unconscious" popup, but have never been sure whether the message is bugged, or the gunner DM, or if you can somehow manually fire the turret of a dead gunner (I know I can't).

Yeah, well it started back in my RB days ( haven't played anything but SB for three years);
I followed what I was doing for my pilots, G force and Stamina first, but with gunners also building Accuracy and Precision. (Figured if they can hit, they may not get hit).
Now I'm working on Vitality on everything . . . about Vitality, I've noticed since 1.85 that my pilot gets wounded more often, so I'm buffing that up as well.
And to keep my Gunners conscious.
You can read in this Forum that Pilot Keen Vision (apparently for icon visibility range) has no function in SB, but for Ground Pounders it aids in seeing Howitzers and Tanks.

I enjoy the game, so "Grinding" isn't a problem, I'm retired and play most days and it does take awhile, but listening to your "Ace" Gunners shred brings a whole new level of fun to the game!