How to fly with a controller using mouse aim, for console players XBOX PS4

Ok, something a little different here for the console players amongst you.

I've been doing ps4 controller setups for some time now and they've been somewhat of success but most of the console players I see still lack basic piloting skills, that or they have no knowledge of max pitch. Some of you also seem to think controllers cant be competitive in this game so my hope with this video is to change that perspective and give some insights and tips on how to fly with a controller. I may be asking a lot here but I would love to see more of the console players topping the scoreboards and this video might just contain the info they need so please help me get the word out there.

To summarise the video contains:

1) The importance of controls
2) Max pitch and how it works
3) Battle examples with commentary

If it helps anyone at all then I'll be happy and it will have been my time well spent. If it helps more then I might just have to do more videos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
medal medal

Excellent work as always thanks.

I've been using your max pitch L1+R1 for a while now (subscribe to your youtube) and it has helped a lot. One thing i struggle to emulate is the small increments you make to the mouse aim reticule during acm's. Its almost like you nudge the stick repeatedly. I'm working on it...:flight:

57 minutes ago, *Ok1hurricane said:

Excellent work as always thanks.

I've been using your max pitch L1+R1 for a while now (subscribe to your youtube) and it has helped a lot. One thing i struggle to emulate is the small increments you make to the mouse aim reticule during acm's. Its almost like you nudge the stick repeatedly. I'm working on it...:flight:

Your welcome. I might put out an aiming guide next since thats another aspect players seem to struggle with. Most of it is fine adjustments and trying to lead rather than follow, let them fall into your line of fire. The rest is down to sensitivities and learning the bullet mechanics.

medal medal

Good tutorial for console air players, pinned :salute:

• Upvote 2

Very well done! Thank you for putting some decent amount of time into this, and showing that controller users are not at a disadvantage! :salute: 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheElite96 said:

Very well done! Thank you for putting some decent amount of time into this, and showing that controller users are not at a disadvantage! :salute: 

Very well done indeed, nonetheless controller users are at a disadvantage against M&K players. 

For example, do M&K users require max pitch as a means to track enemies during ACM's?

I can't speak for the OP but IMO he demonstrates splendid ingenuity to mitigate the advantage of M&K players.

Also, decent time is probably an understatement :yes_yes_yes:

Edited by *Ok1hurricane
Edit
  • Upvote 2

Well done sir. I’ve changed my max pitch to this setup. Works well, now to get used to it. Like that you can look around while pitching. Will be practicing after I’m done with the tank event  

medal medal

Thank you so much @*drkdeath5000 Looking forward to more guides and tutorials from you and hopefully other Console players (Especially XB1 guys)

Still developers need to give some attention to the console part of their game if they really want to attract more console players !

11 hours ago, *KnightsCross20 said:

Well done sir. I’ve changed my max pitch to this setup. Works well, now to get used to it. Like that you can look around while pitching. Will be practicing after I’m done with the tank event  

What Tank event exactly? I'm not aware of any :p

2 hours ago, Pzt_Kami said:

What Tank event exactly? I'm not aware of any :p

Ugh...lol...don’t get me started. Need a break after this event. One more star to go then I want to get back into the air. 

2 hours ago, Pzt_Kami said:

Still developers need to give some attention to the console part of their game if they really want to attract more console players !

Agreed, unfortunately it is hard with a game like this, that has so many controls. A controller that we use on a PS4/Xbox just can’t do it all. 

I hooked up a small keyboard to complement my DS4 after I got into MEC controls, as well as typing in chat. Makes a world of difference. 

medal medal

Thanks guys means a lot to have this pinned!

I dont know if its coincidence but i'm seeing a fair few PS4 players doing well in in the air. Only the other night i took the P-38 out for a spin and half the enemy team was made up of PS4 players and they put up one hell of a fight, came very close to winning but we managed to turn it in our favour. I decided to do another commentary type video i was that impressed so this is another example of how to fly. Less focused on max inputs this time since the P-38 is an american fighter which is less suited to those tactics, its more a keep fast kinda plane so i'm mostly using the left stick for aiming and right stick for roll here. I do switch to max inputs at the end when i get jumped but it was a pretty dire situation and is generally not recommended for most american fighters.

Enjoy the video. I'm also working on a how to aim guide so will hopefully have that out soon.

• Like 2
medal medal

3 hours ago, *drkdeath5000 said:

Enjoy the video. I'm also working on a how to aim guide so will hopefully have that out soon.

I got 2 kills and 2 assists in my Italian mkvb on my lunchbreak today thanks to you :good:

Can't wait to see the aim guide.

• 5 weeks later...

Very nice indeed!

Beginners (and veterans alike) may find some useful tips here too (see below). Please feel free to contribute (and ignore the flaming!). I may post some videos relating to actual differences in turn times between mouse aim & stick too, because I think it's important to realise that they can turn a good bit faster than us thanks to the instructor. You may be able to negate this by tuning your controls, but sadly that is required for every single aircraft. You can find a relatively useful sweet-spot though.

Try a spin test, for example, and you will see that you can't spin exactly on your axis whereas a mouse aimer can. To be able to fight them effectively, you have to know your deficiencies.

It's very positive to see that in most RB battles I play in now, approximately half the players seem to be on console. Sadly you can never tell for sure because some players just use their PS4/Xbox accounts on PC, and some have gone out and bought a mouse and keyboard so they can be competitive, which I can fully understand. It is sad, though, that they have to do this, because they have perfectly serviceable pads to play with, which makes the aircraft feel much more realistic in the way they fly.

I just wish I had the time to contribute with actual setup guides etc. too but I'm sure the practical help *drkdeath5000 is giving will help tremendously if players take heed of it - it's a bit sad to see consolers rushing to their death all the time, thinking they can do what the mouse aimer can do. I spent about an hour tuning up the xbox 360 controller for the Hurricane IV if anyone would like a copy of the config file. Actually it seems to work well for other marks of the same plane too (logically they would have the same or similar Flight Models, so that stands to reason).

Edited by Juiceter
medal

On 08/01/2019 at 08:26, Pzt_Kami said:

That's for sure! I bet you never realised what a disadvantage you were at when you started, because Gaijin never told you about the power of the mouse+keyboard & instructor compared to the pad!

Do you lads have the ability to only play with other console players due to a control setting? Someone mentioned this a while back but since I don't play by console I can't confirm this to be the case. It is one way around the control deficiencies, I suppose. The problem is that is there is such a system, surely it would be based on whether you are a console player or not, not what method of control you are using, so those using mice on the console will still get the better of you. It's never clear-cut is it?

Edited by Juiceter
medal

• 1 year later...

Concur with your assessment of the stock console controls...the MAIN reason I play it on PC is how "rough" the direct port is to console...everything from menus to control setup.  I guess I might be able to get it sorted at some point...might be nice to fly with a stick versus instead of a mouse someday.

• 3 weeks later...