what does the chieftain mk 3 have going for it at 8.3?

VS 7.7 tanks
Armour? nope, most 7.7 tanks can easily pen its turret especially the right side of it even at 1km+ away.
Gun? Nope, most 7.7 tanks have similar pen minus the terrible post pen dmg that apds gives the chieftain mk3
Mobility? Nope, it's worse upgraded than most stock tanks.

Stabilizer? Yes, but I'd give it up in a heart beat for better mobility or better post pen dmg.

Does the mk3 belong at 8.3 where everything it goes up against can pen its armour even at distance and has better mobility than it while have similar if not better gun? No, the fact of the matter is it really has nothing going for it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 5
medal medal

TLDR: the joke of this br system prevents it being any lower.

It is just a joke man, the community gave up on the chieftains, everyone is just happy to take out their wallet and purchase the fix called Sho't Kal Dalet, and the most happy for this - Gaijin. This is what you get when the community has no standards, or when the community is filled with pay to win xxxxxxx who just want an easy clear edge over people that play with premium account and tech tree vehicles.

Look at the chieftain mk5, it has 150-200 hp more and it goes up by .3 in br (and it is still slow as hell). The chieftains are relics at this point going back to when the meta wasn't defined by sport cars.

As for the mk3, is it workable at 8.3? Yes it is. In fact I think it is the only chieftain that is fairly ok tiered in the br system. It is slow but you don't have to unlock any special shell or anything like that and the opposition doesn't run on warp drives just yet, so you don't live the maus syndrome 24/7 while playing it.

The main thing I wanna tell you is if you think the mk3 is bad... OH BOY, OH BOY OH BOY ARE YOU IN FOR A SURPRISE. Wait till you get to play the mk5(still not quite a disaster) and the piece of garbage which is the mk10(disaster incarnate).

The main problem with the mk3 as I see it is that you can't really have it go lower. If you put it to 8.0 then it will face 7.0 tanks and that is bad(but I guess it is fine for things to be really bad if you play the british :crazy: mk10 chieftain :crazy:)

So far I still consider it the only somewhat fun chieftain to play, it only goes downhill from this one(there is a learning curve to doing good with it). Yeah the tank has to be played more carefully but at least you still can do it somewhat with this one.

Edited by pakopak
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 5
medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't even bother with the Mk.5, I mean why would you. Especially since it's in a folder with the Mk.3, just go straight to the Mk.10. The Mk.3 would benefit from being at 8.0 I think and it wouldn't be overpowered at all given its terrible mobility and complete lack of armour below the turret.

In terms of armour, the Mk.10 actually fairs rather well at top tier when hull down. In many ways it's superior to the turret of the Challenger Mk.2, with over 800mm of effective protection in many spots plus it gets a good APFSDS shell. All the Cheiftains are one trick ponies however, they like the Challengers simply can't get away with showing their hulls unless you can guarantee you'll get the first shot. 

Hull down however, and all of these tanks can delay a push for quite some time especially in a coordinated squad timing your reloads (which are relatively fast for a 120mm). Of course, this is very map dependent and doesn't fit the 'meta' of WT however that's rather an issue with the game as opposed to the tank itself. If there was a game mode purely tailored around defending a point there would be few tanks as qualified for that role than the British high tier tanks.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 18/01/2019 at 16:55, Drunken_Jedi said:

Hull down however, and all of these tanks can delay a push for quite some time...

Except you get shot in the face(cannon/breech) and you wait there while the enemy takes its time to come around and finish you while you repair. Or they shoot the turret ring where they can outright kill you. Turret armor is just about useless in general or even defensive play when the other half is paper and your damage dealing capability can be shut down.

And since when is the mk10 chieftain apfsds good for a 9.3?

And I can think of quite a few tanks more qualified for defending a point than the British tanks.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

9 hours ago, pakopak said:

Except you get shot in the face(cannon/breech) and you wait there while the enemy takes its time to come around and finish you while you repair. Or they shoot the turret ring where they can outright kill you. Turret armor is just about useless in general or even defensive play when the other half is paper and your damage dealing capability can be shut down.

It is junk. Like all British top tier tanks, any shot at the turret front disables for the gun for 30+ seconds and enemy can penetrate your 45-50mm side armor almost at straight angle.

The 2-pieces charge ammo also means you have more rounds lying around waiting to get lit up.

9 hours ago, pakopak said:

And since when is the mk10 chieftain apfsds good for a 9.3?

And I can think of quite a few tanks more qualified for defending a point than the British tanks.

The L23 is actually quite decent, but way too expensive. It has top tier penetration to both flat and sloped target (not best, but ok), while retaining standard APFSDS without the artificial nerf for "long rod" rounds.

Slow reloading speed is a major weakness though.

medal medal medal

I remember when the cheiftain came out it was almost meta breaking. 

While it wasn't fast it could gut just about any tank at 8.0 (its release BR) with a center mass shot. People also weren't used to a British tank with a reasonable turret armor layout and the severely sloped UFP caused a ton of bounces with that turret. 

Those days are past now. 

L15A3 is rather obsolete with IS7s running around everywhere, and it's vertical penetration nerfs have made the T10m's turret almost immune to it. 

APDS post pen and shattering ruin it on alot of other things and more high pen APDS and heatfs have appeared making its turret armor useless. 

It was good, not its just mediocre at best. 

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 22/01/2019 at 02:20, ARedneckSquirel said:

I remember when the cheiftain came out it was almost meta breaking. 

While it wasn't fast it could gut just about any tank at 8.0 (its release BR) with a center mass shot. People also weren't used to a British tank with a reasonable turret armor layout and the severely sloped UFP caused a ton of bounces with that turret.

Sadly that lasted only about a few months (a few weeks for me as I was away from WT after unlocking it).

Then the ATGM actually broke the meta with OHK missiles, inert ammo and invincible launcher (can still fire when black).

Edited by Loongsheep
medal medal medal

I like the Mk3, have it spaded and find it still reasonably competitive.

However I rarely use it now, not because of it's issues in competing but because the 8.3 slot is a no-win zone for UK/US.  Fighting for your life and grabbing a few end-of-game revenge kills against the spawn trappers has it's charms, but it grows old quickly.

medal medal medal medal

• 3 months later...

i would avoid playing above 7.7 at all until they (if they ever) fix the various bugs and balance tier 6 and 7 British tanks. 7.7 is alright if you don't get up tiered but i find the tanks quite expensive to repair for what they are capable of earning, as it currently stands British tanks peak at 6.7 and you shouldn't really play past that br.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Chieftain mk3 is a really good tank imo. I think the armor is reasonable. It's nothing special but it's not to bad. Yes the manoeuvrability is bad. But it's not T-95 or something. Playing maps like Fulda, Surroundings of Volokolamsk or fields of Poland can be a pain in the **** to play. The gun is ok. Some guys told me it's quite accurate: no it as some serious dispersion and it can be really annoying sometimes. However all these things might sound like this tank is really bad, but when you start playing it and grind some manoeuvrability, this thing becomes a good grinder. You need to give it a chance and get used to the sluggishness of the tank. But if you play it to it's strengths you can get some really decent games. Now I'm sure that not everyone has the motivation to learn this tank, because playing a leopard is way more easy. But learing this tank and get used to it, makes this tank quite a beast. But yea for the majority of players this thing will never mean anything to them. If you love the British tanks and really want to play them at high tier, the chief mk3 is a good option.

medal medal

It's fine at BR 8.3 imho. As long as the Chieftain Mk3 and T-62 are both at 8.3 (in RB and SB) I don't see a problem however the real problem is the Chieftain Mk5 at 8.7.  Also, after playing and spading the T-62 and the Chieftain Mk3, I feel like they're both good counters to each other. 

medal medal medal medal

On 04/05/2019 at 21:37, USVIKILLER said:

It's fine at BR 8.3 imho. As long as the Chieftain Mk3 and T-62 are both at 8.3 (in RB and SB) I don't see a problem however the real problem is the Chieftain Mk5 at 8.7.  Also, after playing and spading the T-62 and the Chieftain Mk3, I feel like they're both good counters to each other. 

I agree that the tiering at 8.3 is largely fine and works well with the BRs below it as well. The problem is greater than just the Mk5 though, as there's an enormous step up from 8.3 to 8.7 caused by the various premiums and APFSDS firing MBTs currently at 8.7. it isn't balanced for the chieftains and it isn't balanced for virtually any other 8.0-8.3 tank.

medal medal medal

On 04/05/2019 at 21:37, USVIKILLER said:

On 07/05/2019 at 10:01, HammyTheHamster1 said:

I agree that the tiering at 8.3 is largely fine and works well with the BRs below it as well. The problem is greater than just the Mk5 though, as there's an enormous step up from 8.3 to 8.7 caused by the various premiums and APFSDS firing MBTs currently at 8.7. it isn't balanced for the chieftains and it isn't balanced for virtually any other 8.0-8.3 tank.

I still think the mk 5 could benefit from getting APFSDS (change it to mk 5-4) and then stay at 8.7. Then it would be fine.

Hell, they could even move current mk 5 to 8.3, and I think mk 10 wouldn't be too OP at 8.7 either. 

Edited by Dantheman66
medal medal

15 hours ago, Dantheman66 said:

I still think the mk 5 could benefit from getting APFSDS (change it to mk 5-4) and then stay at 8.7. Then it would be fine.

Hell, they could even move current mk 5 to 8.3, and I think mk 10 wouldn't be too OP at 8.7 either. 

Could should

You have every other tank at 8.7 running around with god mode APFSDS, some even better than 10.0 tanks. 

Than you have Chieftain with broken APDS. 

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

This tank was fine when it used to be 8.0

Edit: breeches and canon barrels should be Nowhere near as easy to disable as they are right now, this goes for all tanks

Edited by glock991

6 minutes ago, glock991 said:

This tank was fine when it used to be 8.0

Edit: breeches and canon barrels should be Nowhere near as easy to disable as they are right now, this goes for all tanks

My Chieftain is already at 14% win ratio LULZ. 7-1 going strong. By the time I spade this I may just break 30%!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DaffanZ said:

My Chieftain is already at 14% win ratio LULZ. 7-1 going strong. By the time I spade this I may just break 30%!

Don't say that... I'm still trying to unlock the Chieftain Mk3.

But for real, the biggest gimp that I've had in the Cent Mk10, Vickers, and Conqueror is the ammo. Especially the Conq, way to often I've snap shot a round center mass on a tank and watch it sail through the crew compartment, yellow a few crew, and black the engine.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

30 minutes ago, JohanssenJr said:

Don't say that... I'm still trying to unlock the Chieftain Mk3.

But for real, the biggest gimp that I've had in the Cent Mk10, Vickers, and Conqueror is the ammo. Especially the Conq, way to often I've snap shot a round center mass on a tank and watch it sail through the crew compartment, yellow a few crew, and black the engine.

My favorite theory is that APDS in this game was neutered beyond belief because originally Gaijin was scared that L7 105mm would decimate all opposition, as was reality. Many times 105mm APDS cant even pen T-54 turret properly from front, or hull and if it does it only does 1 crew/stuck on Fuel Tank. 

To add credibility to this theory, APDS used to have like a 15-20% dispersion value making it go really inaccurate that as only recently fixed in last like 18 months. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, DaffanZ said:

My favorite theory is that APDS in this game was neutered beyond belief because originally Gaijin was scared that L7 105mm would decimate all opposition, as was reality. Many times 105mm APDS cant even pen T-54 turret properly from front, or hull and if it does it only does 1 crew/stuck on Fuel Tank. 

To add credibility to this theory, APDS used to have like a 15-20% dispersion value making it go really inaccurate that as only recently fixed in last like 18 months.

I missed those days, thankfully.

But it seems that APDS just doesn't spall at all.

medal medal medal medal medal

6 hours ago, DaffanZ said:

When Britain was first added to the game APDS was performing "properly" (how realistically it was I can't say) but or was decimating everything for a few glorious weeks before the Nerf hammer struck hard, god remember I remember when HESH one shotted everything frontally too think phly has a video doing it on the vickers mbt from the same time, but nope Britain is not allowed there shells to perform well so Nerf hammers all round.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

14 hours ago, JohanssenJr said:

I missed those days, thankfully.

But it seems that APDS just doesn't spall at all.

Yeah feels like that to me too... I mean, when you hit thick armor and center of mass, like the driver's hatch on the IS-4M, then it usually spalls like other AP shells and often grants you a one shot kill, but these are really rare... Against most targets your projectile just goes straight through, no spalling...

Not constantly one-shot killing stuff the way all russian and most german tanks do is kind of okay, but doing borderline no damage at all on a clean hit is just wrong. Like, just last match a Panther II wanted to speed past me, I hit him clean in the middle of his side,  just below the turret, and all I got was a Loader kill... Then he turned and one-shot me "as usual"... this happens quite a lot.

APDS also seems to have a high tendency of losing it's way, even though it supposed to have great resistance to slopes/angles. I get a lot of shots where I hit someone and my APDS round just bounces around in very very weird patterns, on the hull, between plates, wheels, structural steel parts, stuff like that. For example hitting IS-3 on the side, APDS often does this, it ricochets about 2-4 times, sometimes all of that on a single plate (wtf how?), then just disappears without doing any damage whatsoever.

I do like how aiming it is easy just like APFSDS, but that's about all the good things I can say about it. It's a really unreliable round, tends to randomly shatter/disappear, and often does so little damage even a .50 cal could put it to shame... I don't yet have the Chieftains though, only play with the Rank V tanks of this tree, but I'm pretty sure all APDS works the same, and I have identical experiences with higher tier USA APDS rounds as well.

No wonder it sucks though, Russians tanks don't have it... But seriously, isn't it funny how the 3 types of projectiles that work reliably and consistently are exactly the 3 types the USSR tanks use? (APHE, APFSDS and ATGMs) All the rest have a lot more RNG to them, and generally underperform...

Edited by Turenkarn
medal medal medal medal

On 10/05/2019 at 07:26, Turenkarn said:

Yeah feels like that to me too... I mean, when you hit thick armor and center of mass, like the driver's hatch on the IS-4M, then it usually spalls like other AP shells and often grants you a one shot kill, but these are really rare... Against most targets your projectile just goes straight through, no spalling...

Not constantly one-shot killing stuff the way all russian and most german tanks do is kind of okay, but doing borderline no damage at all on a clean hit is just wrong. Like, just last match a Panther II wanted to speed past me, I hit him clean in the middle of his side,  just below the turret, and all I got was a Loader kill... Then he turned and one-shot me "as usual"... this happens quite a lot.

APDS also seems to have a high tendency of losing it's way, even though it supposed to have great resistance to slopes/angles. I get a lot of shots where I hit someone and my APDS round just bounces around in very very weird patterns, on the hull, between plates, wheels, structural steel parts, stuff like that. For example hitting IS-3 on the side, APDS often does this, it ricochets about 2-4 times, sometimes all of that on a single plate (wtf how?), then just disappears without doing any damage whatsoever.

I do like how aiming it is easy just like APFSDS, but that's about all the good things I can say about it. It's a really unreliable round, tends to randomly shatter/disappear, and often does so little damage even a .50 cal could put it to shame... I don't yet have the Chieftains though, only play with the Rank V tanks of this tree, but I'm pretty sure all APDS works the same, and I have identical experiences with higher tier USA APDS rounds as well.

No wonder it sucks though, Russians tanks don't have it... But seriously, isn't it funny how the 3 types of projectiles that work reliably and consistently are exactly the 3 types the USSR tanks use? (APHE, APFSDS and ATGMs) All the rest have a lot more RNG to them, and generally underperform...

APDS is just the worst round.

Show me any 'real' round in the game that has worse consistency, there is none. When you play tanks with L7 105mm, you are SCARED to hold angles because you know  that even if you get the first shot off it will do zero/minor damage and he will return fire and OHK you. 

US teams with APDS as backbone in a nutshell VS premiums and other OHK APCBC monsters. 

8WMo5JC.png

Btw, you talk about Chieftains, I played on this match. Even hitting an AMX 50 in the turret 3 times only killed 2 crew members. Zero spalling on spaced/weird armor.

Edited by DaffanZ

13 hours ago, DaffanZ said:

APDS is just the worst round.

Show me any 'real' round in the game that has worse consistency, there is none. When you play tanks with L7 105mm, you are SCARED to hold angles because you know  that even if you get the first shot off it will do zero/minor damage and he will return fire and OHK you. 

US teams with APDS as backbone in a nutshell VS premiums and other OHK APCBC monsters. 

8WMo5JC.png

Btw, you talk about Chieftains, I played on this match. Even hitting an AMX 50 in the turret 3 times only killed 2 crew members. Zero spalling on spaced/weird armor.

APCR is the same to be honest.

Spaced armour does do weird thing to apds it's as if only the first plate spalls

medal medal