Hello

I am quite new to the game, started playing a few weeks ago, so I thought I should check in here. And perhaps even get some useful feedback too, that would be very, very welcome.

I started playing with German tier one tanks and planes [AB]. First thing I noticed in this game is the lack of any sort of general chat, so I joined the discord channel to get some feedback and help. I really enjoyed tier 1 tanks, got to rank 2 and all the fun just vaporized, got a bunch of tier 3 tanks researched but it is all on hold for now, seeing the large amount of complains for the tigers and panthers. Tried some RB with tanks but that proved to be too difficult for now, cant spot the enemy at all.

So I moved on with planes, tier 1 [AB] was just one massive chaotic mess. I pretty much just hold down the fire button and wiggled the mouse. Save to say I am terrible at the 'dogfights' part. People on discord recommended to get the plane 47 since it is a good plane to learn and grind, so I did that and played that plane quite a lot in RB. There I discovered that I like attacking ground targets. So I went looking for suitable planes to do just that, and I fell in love with the ME410 design, so I researched those.

And here it is I run into trouble [RB], the 410 is a multipurpose plane but its just not good at much. The airspawn for example, I have no idea why I even bother with it. Since our fighters just climb so much faster that by the time the bombers are in sight they are already well above me. Even if I manage to get on the same altitude as an enemy bomber they just fly faster then the 410. Not just that, but they rip me apart with there guns too. I just make a few hits before getting killed by a bomber. So I stopped even trying to hunt bombers for now, they are just too dangerous. And our fighters seem to be better capable of taking them down.

Using the 410 as a fighter has proved to be pure suicide, I cant turn as fast, I cant outrun enemy fighters, I have one go with doing a headon attack, if that fails I am dead. The versions that carry bombs, well, haven't figured out how to use those yet, two 250 or 500 bombs seem nice but I don't have a bomb sight, so base bombing is difficult. I can also carry a few light bombs to drop on tank columns but so far I have managed to kill only 2 tanks max using those 8 50 bombs. Doesn't seem very effective.

So I moved on to the versions with the big 50mm gun and the version with two 30mm cannons. Loaded them with hvap rounds and started to hunt tanks. Problem is that I need fighter cover to do so.

I found there are two methods, one is using the airspawn to dive down and go to the frond-line as fast as possible, make one or two attack runs and then fly back to base and wait till the fighters clear the sky. This method has proven to be risky since I do spot enemy fighters quite late, often too late, and even if I do fly back in time I often get enemies diving on me and no backup. So I started using the second method, which is to wait about 5 minutes on the airfield, waiting till the first enemies show up at the map, then take-off. Then I can just count the enemy planes, so I know where they are all at, bite my time till it is save for me to hunt some tanks. This way I often sneak in at an unguarded area.

Thing is, no matter how many ground targets I kill, its not doing much for the team-win, since its basically a death match. I did win a match once with tickets, but then people got mad at me since there were still 3 enemy planes alive. I have had quite a few angry people telling me how bad I am for not killing fighters. Moreover I have had quite a few people reacting angry at simple questions. like 'how do you use your me410' or 'any tips to get better at dogfighting' etc.

For example today: People tell me to dogfight a spitfire and I ask “how? they are faster, turn faster even dive faster” so I did a headon attack, missed, and they [the dead team] just went berserk with the pleasantries “learn to play *beeb*” “gtfo premium *beeb*” “useless *beeb*” etc. So if that is the basic response mode for people ingame I don't see how people get any better. Am already doing my best on improving, like figuring out if the vertical stabilizing option is usefull, or where I can best aim in a headon, or at what range bullets start to hit, there is a lot of things to figure out. The two methods of using the 410 for example, I just try and learn as I go.

I did got a couple fighters few days ago, spitfires, to learn how to do dogfighting in a real fighter [people adviced those since they are easier then the german planes], but those planes just **** me off. They die after a single hit, got low ammo capacity, even did run out of fuel a few times. In general I do not like them, they look pretty and well designed, but thats about it. All that experiment has teached me was how much I like the me 410, they can take a few hits, have plenty ammo, and I dont have to worry about fuel. So I am back at flying those and am again back at figuring out how to use them best. I think I am getting better, at least at the tank hunting part, have had quite a few matches in which I had 10+ groundkills. :)  I do hope to get better with tanks in RB so I can use my 410s in that mode aswell, but that probably will take a while. same goes for using the 410 as a fighter, I try to get better and who knows given a few months.

Bunny

Edited by Bunnyblonde

Germany and US are the best nations overall, the rest are useless and incompetitive. You can also bring planes into tank realistic battles, and hunt player controlled tanks. There are many dogfighting tutorials on youtube.

You can enable a fuel indicator in the settings that shows you how much fuel you've got left, and an ammo counter too.

Killing heavy targets such as pillboxes and tanks directly takes tickets off the enemy, try going for those. 30mms are more than sufficient at killing pillboxes.

Edited by Graxum
medal medal

I am a beginner pilot myself, although I have plenty experience with tanks. I can give you only some basic advices such as:

• In to be efective in air battles as fighter  you must use teamwork, stick with the team. When you see enemy getting behind your teammate try to shot him down.
  • Look for video on youtube to learn how to use ME410, I recomend Jengar channel.
  • Try to avoid head-on's, you have only 50% chance to kill plane and 50% chance to die as well, so it is not an effective way to engage enemyes.
  • As for RB tanks, reamain in rank I and II until you learn the maps and get some skill, when you will be in the upper part of team in most battles, then move on to higher tears. There are many experienced players with, thousends of battles behind them, so you must be patient until you gain experience.
  • Upvote 1
medal

I learned to fly by watching Jengar.  He is elite though, so don't get discouraged if you aren't as good as he is.

Youtube has videos for almost any plane, tank or boat in the game.  Some streamers are not so great, but you will get to know the good ones (you already know about @Jengar ).

In game, questions like yours are sometimes met with hostility because people are frustrated that they are not winning or whatever.  A better place for your questions would be this very friendly section of the forums:  The Academy  (there is much reference material posted and pinned there as well).

Also, regarding squad mates and teamwork, if you have not looked into a squadron already, check here:   Squadrons Forum Section.

Good luck to you, Bunny~!
:snowgirl:

medal medal medal medal medal

Hi Bunnyblonde  WOT is a great game no matter what, that is a good start, well however it still has its faults as all is NOT equal you may decide on first which country you want to start with??

Do your own homework and if you favour any one in particular so be it, make sure you are happy because as you get better in all new things there are players out there that (DONT) care and a lot that (DO) care all the different thing that have been created are all good in there way. Fun is the key don't matter about winning or losing don't let that spoil it for you. I have been playing for several years now and it does not matter to me just have Fun. Use every country on low level to see what its all about. EARN you own skills yourself. Train all your crews as early as possible to max, plus all your machines of war with all there equipment.

This will be a good start, but beware!!  Gold is real money so don't go over your budget. Know this from the start. For example I played a player only yesterday name (UbiyzaSistemsKD) level 100  ?? by the way I think this may have been a (BOT) you will get to know about them in time any way he or she or it? had a total of all vehicles 196 here is the thing!! whom ever this was had spent 109,580 Gold on vehicles through out all countries?!! that does NOT include any other Gold buying to raise levels or for premium accounts. Ill let you work it out how much that could be in what ever currency you use. And this could be over several years? as myself I have or may have spent more or less. In my case Its my dissition just saying although the game is a free download you have to work very had to gain experience don't think all players have done it the hard way. Happy New Year to all on WOT and keep your powder dry, eyes open and don't Drown GOOD HUNTING hope I bump into you on a game some time I will be here.

Look at my profile as this forum dose not look at experience players the same way good hunting

medal medal

On 29/12/2018 at 05:14, Bunnyblonde said:

Thing is, no matter how many ground targets I kill, its not doing much for the team-win, since its basically a death match. I did win a match once with tickets, but then people got mad at me since there were still 3 enemy planes alive. I have had quite a few angry people telling me how bad I am for not killing fighters. Moreover I have had quite a few people reacting angry at simple questions. like 'how do you use your me410' or 'any tips to get better at dogfighting' etc.

For example today: People tell me to dogfight a spitfire and I ask “how? they are faster, turn faster even dive faster” so I did a headon attack, missed, and they [the dead team] just went berserk with the pleasantries “learn to play *beeb*” “gtfo premium *beeb*” “useless *beeb*” etc. So if that is the basic response mode for people ingame I don't see how people get any better. Am already doing my best on improving, like figuring out if the vertical stabilizing option is usefull, or where I can best aim in a headon, or at what range bullets start to hit, there is a lot of things to figure out. The two methods of using the 410 for example, I just try and learn as I go.

How have things been since your first post, Bunnyblonde?

You mentioned two of the biggest drawbacks wrt team play in this game; lack of coordination, and a near-total disregard for the actual mission parameters.

What you describe in the section quoted above is, in fact, how many of these missions are designed to be fought.  Unfortunately as you point out, the reward system makes it more popular to simply try to shoot down all the opposing aircraft.  So long as this remains the strategy yielding best "payoffs", I see little hope of that changing.

That said, it doesn't stop me from flying "to the mission" anyway, since by doing so I will necessarily attract the opposing fighters to try to shoot me down.

This is where teamwork comes in, of course, because without supporting fighter cover most bombers in this game are relatively easy marks for experienced players.  (Which I am not, just to be clear).

As someone else has said, the main thing is to have fun.  Best luck and success, happy hunting!

• Upvote 1

Welcome on board. Spitfires are great and always dangerous opponents so don't get discouraged and try to play in Squadron if you can (as Gertrude said) or at least with a regular group of friends. That way, you can cover each other better and learn from each other's successes and mistakes. Also, always look at replays, especially when you think you did terrible.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal