What happened to bombers? Why are they so garbage now?

Nobody cares about bombers, at Gaijin. Which is sad. We just have a few bombers sprinkled in, most of which are very old version of bombers from back in the day, they rarely add anything new that's a bomber. Gunners start shooting at 200m range which is absurd... Fighter morons complained that it's too hard to kill a bomber when all they did was sit on the tail and not move, trying to snipe.

It's a shame, because I really enjoy bomber gameplay. Gaijin just listens to the loudest crying crowd to please them and make them shut up.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

21 hours ago, Veniu said:

Nobody cares about bombers, at Gaijin. Which is sad. We just have a few bombers sprinkled in, most of which are very old version of bombers from back in the day, they rarely add anything new that's a bomber. Gunners start shooting at 200m range which is absurd... Fighter morons complained that it's too hard to kill a bomber when all they did was sit on the tail and not move, trying to snipe.

It's a shame, because I really enjoy bomber gameplay. Gaijin just listens to the loudest crying crowd to please them and make them shut up.

Go back to the RB section...

This is the AB-section and for us gunners start to shoot at nearly 800m (or even further away).

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 30/08/2020 at 08:56, anyuser said:

Go back to the RB section...

This is the AB-section and for us gunners start to shoot at nearly 800m (or even further away).

tbf that still depends on having crews maxed. (and for you not to be playing jet bombers with 20k repair cost and no gunners wtf)

anyways air AB bombers are such a relief from RB. until you hit a domination map and die horribly.

On 02/09/2020 at 16:33, Your_delasre said:

tbf that still depends on having crews maxed. (and for you not to be playing jet bombers with 20k repair cost and no gunners wtf)

anyways air AB bombers are such a relief from RB. until you hit a domination map and die horribly.

It doesn't

Gunners start firing at 900m by default in my experience, with maxed out crew sometimes shooting at 1km or further. Not to mention that those gunners more often than not manage to get hits at distances over 1.5km. Considering 1.5 km snipes are rare in fighters I think decreasing the max gunner distance to 500m could help, plus right now blindspots are extremely difficult to exploit because you still need to lead pursuit the bomber to stay in the blindzone, which moves you into a gunner's radius in about half a second. It's not like tanks where they have weakspots, plus encouraging players to take control of the turrets seems like a better idea than buffing turrets to be turbolasers. And yes I have been pilot sniped or set on fire even when approaching from blindspots (EG the B-17E's nose, the Lancaster's belly, the BV 238's underbelly, B-25 underbelly, PBJ 9 o'clock, etc etc).

Besides I actually prefer domination over any other type of game mode, because to do well you can't just go spawncamp or groundpound (talking from a points perspective). They require active map knowledge and how to attack from the side/behind, compared to air dom which is just furball simulator and ground strike which is to just go to spawn and kill everything that wanders into my sights.

medal medal

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/08/2020 at 13:56, anyuser said:

Err...you sure about this...?

Last time i played planes was 1 year ago or so...and AI gunners would NOT fire before 500m...

Was a big part of the reason why i stopped playing planes...the other part was the completely dumb damage model that allowed you to break bombers apart with one burst...

Any of this changed?

On 01/10/2020 at 16:09, [email protected] said:

Err...you sure about this...?

Yes

image.thumb.png.c52f84b214a3f1b1c6bd3e15

On 01/10/2020 at 16:09, [email protected] said:

Last time i played planes was 1 year ago or so...and AI gunners would NOT fire before 500m...

Was a big part of the reason why i stopped playing planes...the other part was the completely dumb damage model that allowed you to break bombers apart with one burst...

Any of this changed?

You might miss some skillpoints.

The crew in the example got Skilllevel 3 + Expert.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, anyuser said:

You might miss some skillpoints.

The crew in the example got Skilllevel 3 + Expert

The max level requires ace crew...which is very rare...

Most bomber gunners will not fire beyond 600m...and as i recall it, they often would not fire even within theoretical firing range...

When i started (update 1.71 or so) bomber gunners would fire and force me (as a fighter) to maneuver to avoid their fire...and engage from better angles...i recall trying to attack from the side...

Last time i played planes...my problem as a fighter was no longer the gunners...but getting to the bomber before the other fighters in my team...

The bomber should lose most times...but the fighter should be wary of the gunners...and be damaged by them if attacking dumb...

Will try one of these days if it is better...

Well, its 670m with only 3 bars and expert, while 500m is the base for an untrained crew and 800m is for fully trained and a-c-e crew.

I do expect people spending their crew XP in a bad way (if at all).

Edited by anyuser

7 minutes ago, anyuser said:

Well, its 670m with only 3 bars and expert, while 500m is the base for an untrained crew and 800m is for fully trained and a-c-e crew.

I do expect people spending their crew XP in a bad way (if at all).

Thats not it...ACE CREWS require an INSANE amount of playing...

I spend XP on things i deem useful...but to ACE a crew i need to play HUNDREDS of games with same vehicle...

For instance i have repair time maxed on many crews...but i have ZERO ace crews...not even close.

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Thats not it...ACE CREWS require an INSANE amount of playing...

I spend XP on things i deem useful...but to ACE a crew i need to play HUNDREDS of games with same vehicle...

For instance i have repair time maxed on many crews...but i have ZERO ace crews...not even close.

Neither me, but Ace is only 2 of the possible 8 bars.

Even with expert gunners would shoot further then the leadindicator range.

And I was talking about players not spending their crew XP into the gunner skills and not buying expert...

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to go back to flying planes due to Gaijin deciding to remove some decals i already had...that i now have to win again...using planes.

FIRST plane game for months...took Ju88 on bombing run. Managed to bomb a few ground units until enemy fighters decided to drop by...kept high to pass over the fur ball...all good until then.

FIRST fighter that gets within range hits me with FIRST BURST...i am DEAD in 2s (less actually). Gunners NEVER FIRED. I was turning, not hard as i was still considering if i enemy was close enough...apparently it was. But still WAY too effective...

It may have been a lucky shot...but i am not optimistic...i think i will make my 50 kills (the requirement for the decal i really want) and forget AIR AB again...

(In Gaijin defense, my FW190 later took a few MG rounds before dying...bomber was killed by canon...)

Edited by [email protected]