sniperNZSAS

What happened to bombers? Why are they so garbage now?

Answer to the thread title...

Because Gaijin don't care.

They don't care that some players like to play bombers. They don't care that bombers get sliced in half with absurd regularity. They don't care that most bombers have never been worth the development time to create them. They don't care that they've never really had much to do in the game. They don't care that they've even gone some way to removing what little they could do.

All this neglect is kinda fine if care has been given to other areas in compensation. But if it has, i've yet to find out where. It's a similar story across the board from what i have seen in recent times. Bombers aren't the only victims.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

Actually pay for something and complain.  Fighters keep trying to make the skill argument to kill off realism because they don’t like to have to pay attention or actually think you’ll just fly a fighter all the time and stay on the game.  

I liked Gaijin for actually doing more than fighters because ever since I was a kid everyone made games about fighter planes only.  It wasn’t really until the mid 00s you even saw fully controllable bombers in mainstream games.  Ground attack came even later.

But freebie fighter wants to only fly in a circle, play RB because it’s cheaper than AB and less work than SB, and brag about how little they invest in the game.  You start buying packs and demanding change Gaijin will hear you over them.  

They could always just make a fighter only mode for them and we’d have all the guys who want a quasi realistic/logical match again.  Because it’s not just bombers who got punished it’s ground attack and this is coming from the “IL-2” company.

And if they don’t vote with your wallet.

medal medal medal medal

22 minutes ago, *bigredsnake said:

It wasn’t really until the mid 00s you even saw fully controllable bombers in mainstream games.  Ground attack came even later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Their_Finest_Hour_(video_game)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Weapons_of_the_Luftwaffe

Not realy mate.

It was more like 89...

And the other parts of your post are as true as what you have written here...

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 hours ago, *bigredsnake said:

Actually pay for something and complain.  Fighters keep trying to make the skill argument to kill off realism because they don’t like to have to pay attention or actually think you’ll just fly a fighter all the time and stay on the game.  

I liked Gaijin for actually doing more than fighters because ever since I was a kid everyone made games about fighter planes only.  It wasn’t really until the mid 00s you even saw fully controllable bombers in mainstream games.  Ground attack came even later.

1. That was debunked already

2. WT bombers aren't fully controllable. 

You cannot manually control the bomb sight for example. 

But freebie fighter wants to only fly in a circle, play RB because it’s cheaper than AB and less work than SB, and brag about how little they invest in the game.  You start buying packs and demanding change Gaijin will hear you over them.  

They could always just make a fighter only mode for them and we’d have all the guys who want a quasi realistic/logical match again.  Because it’s not just bombers who got punished it’s ground attack and this is coming from the “IL-2” company.

Not true. Il-2 was made by 1c and published shed by ubisoft. Until Cliffs of dover was released. With the failure cliffs of dover and the resulting differences between the two companies everything changed. 

777 (the guys from rise of Flight) took control and together with 1c created il2 battle of Stalingrad. 

Gaijin was not involved in any of that. 

Gaijin developed an arcade ps4 spinoff called il-2: birds of Prey (the name already shows the emphasis on fighters). AFAIK they got information on how the flight models of il2:1946 worked.

From there the brand il-2 and gaijin parted ways and gaijin created arcade flight games on the basis of the deal with 1c.

One of them is birds of steel Wich development direxlctly caused war thunder. 

And if they don’t vote with your wallet.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Right now I see no positives to bomber gameplay

You are venerable nd you damage too easily

bomb damage vs vehicles is nerfed so that you need 100kg direct hits to kill tanks which is hard to do with internally stowed bombs 

And your rewards for doing the things that actuallty win games ( bombing the tanks and bases  ) are dwarfed by the fighters padding their k/d 

Solution 

Give bombers their old bomb damage on ground units back and increase economy rewards a bit  . Don't change anything else 

This turns bomber play into risk vs reward . Sure you have the same vulnerabilities to fighters and flak as you have now but if you can make it to the ground units either through fortune or *gasp* teamwork you get rewarded 

On 23/12/2018 at 05:22, sniperNZSAS said:

Or did War Thunder just buff all the guns of every fighter aircraft but forgot to increase HP of bombers to compensate? Seriously what has changed in the few months I didn't play? It seems any fighter now just has to sneeze in the direction of a heavy bomber and 'pop' off goes the back half of the aircraft....

Depends on the cannons. Ever try taking on a bomber with stealth ShVAKs?

medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, FailBoatCaptain said:

Give bombers their old bomb damage on ground units back and increase economy rewards a bit  . Don't change anything else 

This turns bomber play into risk vs reward .

Not without reducing the accruacy of bombs to something more sane and bringing up the blast radius so you can bomb something directly under your without blowing yourself up.

Right now bombers will bring you a high reward.

Either zones with a high XP reward or ground units with a high Lions reward. At last compared to the effort it needs to kill the groundunits.

My gripe with bombers is that once you start moving into 4.0+ their climb rates start getting worse and worse for most of them. You go from 16 m/s climb rates to 3-4 m/s and eventually all the way down to like 1 m/s until you get to jets. Every fighter can outclimb you and you're just a free kill. It turns bombers away from some tactical tool into something where you just kamikaze rush bases because I don't want to spend 10 minutes climbing up to a safe altitude.

29 minutes ago, comeandseevx said:

It turns bombers away from some tactical tool into something where you just kamikaze rush bases because I don't want to spend 10 minutes climbing up to a safe altitude.

Well, you exagurate a bit, but you basically spill the milk here.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

28 minutes ago, comeandseevx said:

I'm not exagerrating. It takes a horrendous amount of time to get up to an acceptable altitude. You have to spawn, fly away from everyone into corner of map, and spend minutes of your time climbing up, stopping, gaining air speed, repeating, etc.

Maybe you overdo it a bit?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The gunners cannot seem to kill anything at all anymore these days unless you man the guns themselves. This makes levelling up the gunners a complete and utter waste of time (aside from perhaps hitpoints).

The main kicker is the planes folding like paper from a single bullet.. its no fun.

On 11/11/2019 at 17:53, comeandseevx said:

My gripe with bombers is that once you start moving into 4.0+ their climb rates start getting worse and worse for most of them. You go from 16 m/s climb rates to 3-4 m/s and eventually all the way down to like 1 m/s until you get to jets. Every fighter can outclimb you and you're just a free kill. It turns bombers away from some tactical tool into something where you just kamikaze rush bases because I don't want to spend 10 minutes climbing up to a safe altitude.

Yes you are dead meat right from the get go.

The fact that all the enemy fighters can see exactly where you are right away is a joke, they can get to you before you even get to the target, having insane climb rates.

I used to turn away from the enemy bases and climb along the side of the maps, but it makes no difference anymore.

medal medal

If you manage to die this good in every bomber you are doing wrong.

We got bombers that are bad, because they don't fit into the game.

But if you manage to do that bad with the B18s, when they are unlocked for you - its you and only you.