OTOMATIC SPAAG: Belated Perfection

If the proxy fuse shells worked properly it would be fine. 12x76mm apfsds rounds are enough to play defensively (as an SPAA should). The Swedish unlimited apfsds "hold down left click and drive towards the enemy" SPAA are not good for the game and the OTOMATIC shouldn't be like that. More darts won't address the problem. HE VT shells that reliably kill their target will.

medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

not that it needs it but more APFSDS i guess

That would be completely fictional since it could only carry 12 irl. 

1 hour ago, Aerobane said:

If the proxy fuse shells worked properly it would be fine. 12x76mm apfsds rounds are enough to play defensively (as an SPAA should). The Swedish unlimited apfsds "hold down left click and drive towards the enemy" SPAA are not good for the game and the OTOMATIC shouldn't be like that. More darts won't address the problem. HE VT shells that reliably kill their target will.

The point is, the Swedish low calibre APFSDS produces little to no spalling while the 76mm on the OTO can (and will) OHK pretty reliably. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 02/07/2020 at 11:10, watch_your_fire said:

Bug report pending for the OTO, mistral nerf is just Gaijin's way of nerfing helis and it should have never been applied to the SIDAM

I put in a bug report for the OTO a few days after 1.99. No response or movement on it thus far. Good luck on yours, maybe you compiled it better than I did mine..

medal medal medal

7 hours ago, RaindropBebop said:

I've not seen any documentation indicating any artificial limits (i.e., below maximum capacity of the vehicle) to the amount of ammunition it could carry for any of its ammo types. Is there a source for this?

I remember reading about it somewhere, today I'll look into it and see if I can find it again. 

13 hours ago, RaindropBebop said:

I've not seen any documentation indicating any artificial limits (i.e., below maximum capacity of the vehicle) to the amount of ammunition it could carry for any of its ammo types. Is there a source for this?

There you go (pages 52 to 54). It doesn't specifically say "12 rounds", but it says that AT shells are located on the right side of the turret and you can clearly see how small of a stowage that is.

11 hours ago, Dr_Pavel said:

There you go (pages 52 to 54). It doesn't specifically say "12 rounds", but it says that AT shells are located on the right side of the turret and you can clearly see how small of a stowage that is.

It says an auxiliary loader drum for AT ammunition is located on the right side of the gun mount. This allows it to alternate between firing anti-air and anti-tank round by feeding from separate sides on the gun mount. Seeing as how ammunition is manually loaded into either feeders, I don't think there's an reason to artificially limit stowage of any type of ammunition. Granted as the OTOMATIC was designed for an AA role, you would assume (had it been adopted into service) the brunt of its stowed ammo would come in the form of AA ammunition.

This is a great little publication, though. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by RaindropBebop
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal

17 hours ago, RaindropBebop said:

It says an auxiliary loader drum for AT ammunition is located on the right side of the gun mount. This allows it to alternate between firing anti-air and anti-tank round by feeding from separate sides on the gun mount. Seeing as how ammunition is manually loaded into either feeders, I don't think there's an reason to artificially limit stowage of any type of ammunition. Granted as the OTOMATIC was designed for an AA role, you would assume (had it been adopted into service) the brunt of its stowed ammo would come in the form of AA ammunition.

This is a great little publication, though. Thanks for sharing.

There is no artificial stowage limit, AT rounds are stored in a limited space on the right of the loader mechanism.

There's literally no space to fit any other APFSDS rounds in that ammo rack.

17 minutes ago, PlumleyBT said:

There is no artificial stowage limit, AT rounds are stored in a limited space on the right of the loader mechanism.

There's literally no space to fit any other APFSDS rounds in that ammo rack.

But you can also fill the main ammo rack with apfsds. Or there is something that doesn't allow it? 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, irisarribase said:

But you can also fill the main ammo rack with apfsds. Or there is something that doesn't allow it? 

Nope you can't. Or at least you won't. The APFSDS limit was also because self defense, considering the vehicle main purpose was anti air there wasn't the need or the reason to fill its ammo carousel with AT rounds.

SPAAs never operate alone and sit behind the main force where AT capabilites are already fullfilled by infantry and armors.

Edited by PlumleyBT

On 05/07/2020 at 21:27, PlumleyBT said:

Nope you can't. Or at least you won't. The APFSDS limit was also because self defense, considering the vehicle main purpose was anti air there wasn't the need or the reason to fill its ammo carousel with AT rounds.

SPAAs never operate alone and sit behind the main force where AT capabilites are already fullfilled by infantry and armors.

True, you wouldn't in real life. But Wirbelwinds wouldn't be roaming around actual real-life battlefields with 60 belts of HVAP ammunition, either - but it can in game. A Sherman wouldn't be roaming around actual battlefields with almost 100 rounds of smoke shells and nothing else - but it can in game. There's no precedent set in War Thunder for limiting these sorts of things except for either balancing factors or historical stowage limitations. Back to the OTO, if there is no physical stowage limit for the different types of rounds it could carry, and simply a doctrinal limit because it wouldn't normally carry more APFSDS than HE-MOM in it's intended role, that's not a good argument for War Thunder. Now, if you want to say that allowing 70+ rounds of APFSDS in the OTO would be unbalanced, that's an argument worth having. But I would counter that argument and say that, factoring in the OTOs current dismally nerfed AA performance (and thus requirement to play in an AT role to be combat effective and team-useful), 12 rounds of APFSDS is just too low. So, let's meet somewhere in the middle. 30? 28? 24?

Since the OTO's AA ability is now severely nerfed to the point of being almost useless (especially when compared to other SPAAGs), and yet still sits at top tier BR with a top tier repair cost, something needs to change. Fix HE-MOM, drop BR, drop repair, increase APFSDS ammunition loadout, etc. I actually don't really care too much what the best solution would be, but something needs to happen. In my personal opinion, I'd rather the HE-MOM just be reverted to it's pre-1.99 performance, so the OTO can be useful again in its intended role - but if developers see a problem with that, I'd also be OK with those other solutions so it can be useful in a different way (like as a house-sized tank destroyer).

Edited by RaindropBebop
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal

You guys should really stop asking this unhistorycal ammo cap.

Because if you remove it people will roam the battlefields with only APFSDS loaded, Italian teams will lose the only reliable SPAA and people will start complaining about the vehicle being OP.

Cause actually yes, OTO will be OP loaded only with APFSDS so they can nerf it more to oblivion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, PlumleyBT said:

You guys should really stop asking this unhistorycal ammo cap.

Because if you remove it people will roam the battlefields with only APFSDS loaded, Italian teams will lose the only reliable SPAA and people will start complaining about the vehicle being OP.

Cause actually yes, OTO will be OP loaded only with APFSDS so they can nerf it more to oblivion.

You haven't played the OTO since 1.99 have you? HE-MOM is nerfed to hell. It's not a reliable SPAAG, which is why we're asking for historical ammo loadouts.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

3 hours ago, RaindropBebop said:

You haven't played the OTO since 1.99 have you? HE-MOM is nerfed to hell. It's not a reliable SPAAG, which is why we're asking for historical ammo loadouts.

How about they fix that instead of giving it fantasy performance?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RaindropBebop said:

Its unhistorical, stop claiming the opposite. Otomatic never loaded more than 12 APFSDS

Very different topic discuss if it can or can not load in the carousel APFSDS as well.

And the OTO is the only top tier SPAA to bring in 10.0+ battles.

Stop asking to make the OTOMATIC unhistoricaly OP.

Edited by PlumleyBT

On 15/07/2020 at 05:02, watch_your_fire said:

Hey, does anyone know if the OTO got fixed in "Regia Marina"? The damage output vs aircraft feels much better than it did in "Starfighters", at least based off of the few games I played today. 

Since RM i used it once but i shot down 2 helis and 3 jets without issues in one match.

Need to test it more.

On 15/07/2020 at 05:02, watch_your_fire said:

Hey, does anyone know if the OTO got fixed in "Regia Marina"? The damage output vs aircraft feels much better than it did in "Starfighters", at least based off of the few games I played today. 

1 hour ago, PlumleyBT said:

Since RM i used it once but i shot down 2 helis and 3 jets without issues in one match.

Need to test it more.

Can confirm. It appears to have been fixed.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Dr_Pavel said:

Can confirm. It appears to have been fixed.

Eh, not really, this isn't what OTO used to look like at all.

https://streamable.com/9iv4k1

https://streamable.com/p0hfmk

I have 2 older clips where I one shot a KA-50 from 7 Km and an IL-28 from 5Km, so this is nowhere close to what it was before patch.

• Confused 1
medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Vaiolo00 said:

Eh, not really, this isn't what OTO used to look like at all.

https://streamable.com/9iv4k1

https://streamable.com/p0hfmk

I have 2 older clips where I one shot a KA-50 from 7 Km and an IL-28 from 5Km, so this is nowhere close to what it was before patch.

Lol what?

And since when OTO is supposed to oneshot everything it shoot at?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, PlumleyBT said:

Lol what?

And since when OTO is supposed to oneshot everything it shoot at?

Since I unlocked it and before this patch, I used to oneshot everything or at least heavily damage aircrafts. Direct hits were 100% one shots.

Last battle I needed 11 shells to get a kill on a AH-64.

medal medal medal

4 hours ago, PlumleyBT said:

That doesn't mean it was a good thing.

And that's likely one reason of its BR rise.

Well now there is no reason for it for being 10.3, since I can take down aircraft much faster with SIDAM autocannons. I'll be impossible to take down any aircraft further than 5km if the pilot isn't completely dumb, that's nowhere okay for a 10.3 SPAA.

medal medal medal