OTOMATIC SPAAG: Belated Perfection

Update: as of now, the range extension is already effective on live server. 

Yesterday evening, when testing in battle, OTOMATICs were able to successfully engage and kill helicopters up to 8.5 km away with HE-MOM. Shells would travel even farther, but longer engagements were prevented by the lead indicator not showing up beyond 9 km, despite a successful lock on (not sure if bug or intended, exact tracking limit yet to be determined). 

At such distance, of course, successful hits/kills can only be achieved against a stationary or unaware target, since shells will take several seconds to cover the distance and will scatter quite a bit, requiring at least a 4-6 shots burst to grant a good hit probability. Any helicopter aware of the threat will have plenty of time to dodge the incoming fire (tracers are still visible). 

Nevertheless, you can now at the very least be an actual threat to long range ATGM snipers, scaring them off and preventing them from camping unpunished at standoff range. This turned out to be a relevant factor in at least one of yesterday's matches, where a pair of OTOs successfully killed two Ka-50s very early in the match, preventing them from feasting on the axis team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Dr_Pavel said:

Not like it changes anything.

Nope it doesn't, but OTOMATIC isn't effective as ADATS and 2S6 at long range. This is BR compression, OTOMATIC cant have less than 10.0 br but it's just stupid put it with SAM platforms. Specially when everyone can see its tracers shells coming from 8km away.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, Redberseker said:

Yeah! I unlocke....oh no wait, I can't buy it..

Not the best decision to grind top tier tanks without SL, considering the fact that most of time you will only lose SL, even if you win.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 minutes ago, _Condottiero_ said:

Not the best decision to grind top tier tanks without SL, considering the fact that most of time you will only lose SL, even if you win.

I had SL before I started to grind top tier.

Then repair costs done the rest.

50 minutes ago, Redberseker said:

I had SL before I started to grind top tier.

Then repair costs done the rest.

I'm now at almost 10kk SL without PA, but with turned off automatic repair, playing top tier only in arcade mode, playing expensive planes only when their repair cost is low enough to pay(after certain time), trying to end ground battles with replenished expencive ammo, without ACE crews.

Also a good thing are SL wagers and Assault ground arcade.

I used to play A-129 as SL grinder, but now it's not a good idea. My G.55S does this job well, but I don't like to play the same aircraft many times. My P40 "Leoncello" earns not so much money, because it has too low multiplier(0.9 it's less than 1.0 for the regular P40, but x2 because it's premium, still too low) and, I don't know why, but I can effectively use it only in arcade mode.

Italian tree needs a bomber-grinder, to zombiefly it SB EC, like captured Blonde bomber or Z.511.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

5 minutes ago, _Condottiero_ said:

I mean I used it in GRB with great SL earnings, because you could use helies at the start of the battle.

Hmm...I don't have valid helis.

• 1 month later...

HE-MOM seems extremely bugged as of 1.99. Even with slow or stationary targets, I'm lucky if I get more than just "hits". Hopefully it's not intentional, but I'm thinking it was too strong on the dev server at 3.7 on the Sparviero in naval, and was adjusted in some way.

19 shots into a low, slow heli with 0 critical damage (a friendly SIDAM had to take it out):
https://streamable.com/irv368

From heli's perspective:

https://streamable.com/0xz2j2

• Sad 1
medal medal medal

• 1 month later...

Is it just me or the "hit" thing is becoming an issue with the OTOMATIC? I mean direct hit's doing no dmg. The heli turns at you and kill's you or spot's you and dodges after the first "hit", not getting punished if caught on tunnel vision with atgm. This is a huge problem on simulator for me now, eaven on realistic really when you hit them and all they got was a hit on the "left wing" they see you and kill you... 

medal medal medal medal medal

Just now, vascolopes said:

Is it just me or the "hit" thing is becoming an issue with the OTOMATIC? I mean direct hit's doing no dmg. The heli turns at you and kill's you or spot's you and dodges after the first "hit", not getting punished if caught on tunnel vision with atgm. This is a huge problem on simulator for me now, eaven on realistic really when you hit them and all they got was a hit on the "left wing" they see you and kill you... 

Yeah, Otomatic got nerfed into the ground sometimes around 1.99 release. You need so many rounds on target now against helicopters that if multiple spawn you will simply run out of shells in the autoloader before they die. Couple this with the floaty radar indicator and its just not an effective deterrent to aircraft anymore.

The SIDAM memestral also got nerfed against jets as well, the new angled launchers make the missiles lose track before they even start tracking at closer ranges, and at long ranges they are easy to dodge. And you need 3+ mistrals to take out a single chopper.

Italy's SPAA situation went from awesome to god awful in the past few patches.

• Sad 1
medal medal medal medal medal

37 minutes ago, Aerobane said:

Yeah, Otomatic got nerfed into the ground sometimes around 1.99 release. You need so many rounds on target now against helicopters that if multiple spawn you will simply run out of shells in the autoloader before they die. Couple this with the floaty radar indicator and its just not an effective deterrent to aircraft anymore.

The SIDAM memestral also got nerfed against jets as well, the new angled launchers make the missiles lose track before they even start tracking at closer ranges, and at long ranges they are easy to dodge. And you need 3+ mistrals to take out a single chopper.

Italy's SPAA situation went from awesome to god awful in the past few patches.

Bug report pending for the OTO, mistral nerf is just Gaijin's way of nerfing helis and it should have never been applied to the SIDAM

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

lol i recently unlocked the otomatic and been fine with it, if people are saying its under powered then i hope gaijin fixes it, since from what i've played i cant land hits before a friendly spaa with missles does the job for me. We also need the apfsds to be buffed, even tho i havent unlocked it yet i know people have pointed out how sweden have much more OP spaa that shoot apfsds so the oto needs a buff to be able to compete.

medal medal

1 hour ago, Nicholas_Concu said:

lol i recently unlocked the otomatic and been fine with it, if people are saying its under powered then i hope gaijin fixes it, since from what i've played i cant land hits before a friendly spaa with missles does the job for me. We also need the apfsds to be buffed, even tho i havent unlocked it yet i know people have pointed out how sweden have much more OP spaa that shoot apfsds so the oto needs a buff to be able to compete.

A buff how, exactly?

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Nicholas_Concu said:

The APFSDS are fine how they are, I used to think it needed more ammo but then I unlocked it and realized you can easily get 2-3 kills with just 12 rounds. It's just the HE-VT that needs to be fixed (not just for the OTO, it's broken on many tanks)

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal