Jump to content

OTOMATIC SPAAG: Belated Perfection


Upon further testing, the "blind cone" above the radar confirms as regularly happening. I haven't figured out its exact extension yet, but it appears to be uncomfortably wide. 

 

Planes flying above roughly 45° elevation from the point of view of the radar will disappear from the display. In at least one instance, while tracking a plane 8+ km away, I could visually spot a much closer, "higher" (from my POV) plane, yet multiple attempts at locking onto it failed. While switching back to the furthest target (now approaching), the closest one just vanished from the radar screen, just to blow me up with rockets from somewhere soon thereafter.

 

In this circumstance, radar was on and working (as I was actively tracking a target), both planes were within 10 km range, high in the sky with no supposed ground interference. Radar interface was set on the circular display. 

 

Again, I do not know if the blind cone above the radar is indeed correct, a bug, or correct but currently too wide. 

 

Nor do I know if switching to the "squared" radar interface display does somehow affect the radar scanning pattern, providing better vertical scanning ability, or if it's just a different graphic display. If someone knows, please tell. 

 

In this state, the Otomatic is therefore vulnerable to fixed-wing aircrafts who have located its position. There are at least two ways for an attacker to dispatch it unpunished:

1) Like with any other SPAAG, a plane can approach at low level exploiting ground cover, and "pop up" at close range spraying with guns and rockets. The Otomatic is even more vulnerable than the average to such attacks, given its high profile and its relatively low ROF which gives it less chances to effectively counterattack quickly, even more so since proximity fuzes appear to not work under a certain distance, thus requiring a direct hit.



 

2) If an enemy plane manages to safely approach the battlefield at high enough altitude (either by dodging ranged fire or because the Otomatic is busy engaging other targets), past a certain angle it won't be revealed by the radar. At this point, an Otomatic needs to visually identify and engage the threat. In the best case, it can try self-defense by firing without radar assistance, BUT since unlike other SPAAGs it's got a vertical elevation limit of 60°, any plane smart enough to perform a vertical attack run from straight above is most likely a doom sentence with no chance to fight back.

 

 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

initially i tought i could trust the lead marker to get a max distance, sure that if the craft at 6-7 km had a leadmarker i could hit it, but i was often disappinted discovering my shells detonated before reaching the target.
Knowing that now i can engage under 5200m made it less frustrating and way more usefull (i personally would remove the lead marker when out of gun range, people who don't know the 5 km limit could be very annoyed by this)
The real issues i got for the OTOMATIC with the radar are:
- the damn lock on multiple targets. If i shoot down a heli, the radar will keep lock on it untill the model disappears, no matter how much i can try aiming at other  crafts turning the lock on and off, it will keep going on the destroyed one. his maybe is a ignorance of mine about all the radar keys, but it's preatty confusing
- i found extremely difficoult to lock-on jets. i know jets HAVE to be difficoult to lock, but i found it near impossible reather than "difficoult"

- the radars do not retract (but i know it's just a temporary thing, hoping that soon the animation for all the radar SPAAGS will be implemented) in the OTO would lower your silouhette by  lot ad extreamly increase your ambush/ anti-tank capability

in the end i relly like the radar system: it helps a lot your situation awearness and increased the engaging distance by a lot! Also the lead marker is very precise and when you find a stationary heli you can precisely get to it in a single shot 10 times out of 10

Edited by ANYangeloVV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2019 at 07:18, ANYangeloVV said:

initially i tought i could trust the lead marker to get a max distance, sure that if the craft at 6-7 km had a leadmarker i could hit it, but i was often disappinted discovering my shells detonated before reaching the target.
Knowing that now i can engage under 5200m made it less frustrating and way more usefull (i personally would remove the lead marker when out of gun range, people who don't know the 5 km limit could be very annoyed by this)
The real issues i got for the OTOMATIC with the radar are:
- the damn lock on multiple targets. If i shoot down a heli, the radar will keep lock on it untill the model disappears, no matter how much i can try aiming at other  crafts turning the lock on and off, it will keep going on the destroyed one. his maybe is a ignorance of mine about all the radar keys, but it's preatty confusing
- i found extremely difficoult to lock-on jets. i know jets HAVE to be difficoult to lock, but i found it near impossible reather than "difficoult"

- the radars do not retract (but i know it's just a temporary thing, hoping that soon the animation for all the radar SPAAGS will be implemented) in the OTO would lower your silouhette by  lot ad extreamly increase your ambush/ anti-tank capability

in the end i relly like the radar system: it helps a lot your situation awearness and increased the engaging distance by a lot! Also the lead marker is very precise and when you find a stationary heli you can precisely get to it in a single shot 10 times out of 10

I suspect that the new radar system is buggy and I agree 1000% that the bullets need to stop self-detonating at short ranges.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

From my bug report about SAPOM:

They repaired it in 1.89. And they also changed the name from APHE to smth like SAPHEI.

Исправлено в 1.89.

Для данного снаряда добавлен новый тип боеприпасов. Теперь это полубронебойный осколочно-зажигательный снаряд.

  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, _Condottiero_ said:

From my bug report about SAPOM:

They repaired it in 1.89. And they also changed the name from APHE to smth like SAPHEI.

Исправлено в 1.89.

Для данного снаряда добавлен новый тип боеприпасов. Теперь это полубронебойный осколочно-зажигательный снаряд.

 

Do you mean about the penetration or something else?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, _Condottiero_ said:

From my bug report about SAPOM:

They repaired it in 1.89. And they also changed the name from APHE to smth like SAPHEI.

Исправлено в 1.89.

Для данного снаряда добавлен новый тип боеприпасов. Теперь это полубронебойный осколочно-зажигательный снаряд.

yes. the penetration will still the same, but the nomenclature of the shell now doesn't break the penetration rules.

I think now the same shuld be applied to the german Begleitpanzer 57 that has a SAP (Semi-Armour Pircing) shell too. The penetration should be cut in half

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SXTREME said:

Is there a possibility for adding the DART guided ammunition to the OTOMATIC?

no

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, _Condottiero_ said:

So, I don't understand, SAPOM now has another type and HE picture, shouldn't it it provide similar damage as common HE?

the shell hasn't be touched, just a new nomenclature as Semi-Armour Pircing that wasn't created before in game for Tanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BlueBeta said:

yes. the penetration will still the same, but the nomenclature of the shell now doesn't break the penetration rules.

I think now the same shuld be applied to the german Begleitpanzer 57 that has a SAP (Semi-Armour Pircing) shell too. The penetration should be cut in half

Begleitpanzer 57 SAP hasn't been changed yet.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, _Condottiero_ said:

Begleitpanzer 57 SAP hasn't been changed yet.

Yes for now. This is a new standard, i'm trying to improve the game at max, all the other consultants should (and they are doing) do the same noticing and adapting the tanks already done to the new standards, even if this means a "nerf". I don't care to buff the tanks, be impartial in this will make the game better.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Is it even worth carrying SAPOM with this thing? I unlocked the OTO a day ago, and thanks to the talisman I slapped on it I'm blitzing through the modifications and my ariete research, but I'm only able to do that with the timed fuze shell. The SAPOM shell seems to do absolutely nothing, even against soft skinned targets.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheCheshireCat said:

Is it even worth carrying SAPOM with this thing? I unlocked the OTO a day ago, and thanks to the talisman I slapped on it I'm blitzing through the modifications and my ariete research, but I'm only able to do that with the timed fuze shell. The SAPOM shell seems to do absolutely nothing, even against soft skinned targets.

You can sideshot russian tanks for days.

 

Also hope this update brings in the ability to collapse the OTOMATIC's radar.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, _Condottiero_ said:

I've noticed fun fact, you can lock on target even if your radar is retracted. It acts just like on Sidam-25, don't know if it's only Otomatic feature or any radar spaag.

Looks like its on all radar spaag. Just test drive, scope into the aircraft and see the radar lead indicator

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/09/2019 at 02:24, _Condottiero_ said:

I've noticed fun fact, you can lock on target even if your radar is retracted. It acts just like on Sidam-25, don't know if it's only Otomatic feature or any radar spaag.

 

I've been told by a few tank nuts that this is supposedly correct, due to the Otomatic being also equipped with optical tracking sensors like the SIDAM. 

 

If so, however, what is definitely NOT correct is that the optic lock suffers the same ground reflection issues as the radar lock, which doesn't make any sense. 

 

Also, I've personally experienced cases where despite visually spotting an enemy helicopter while radar was off (heli within firing range, judging by render size) and pointing the gunner's sight straight at it without any obstacles in between, I coul not get any lock, most likely because the game considered it to be hidden from the radar (if I had been using it).

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Serpiko82 said:

 

I've been told by a few tank nuts that this is supposedly correct, due to the Otomatic being also equipped with optical tracking sensors like the SIDAM. 

 

If so, however, what is definitely NOT correct is that the optic lock suffers the same ground reflection issues as the radar lock, which doesn't make any sense. 

 

Also, I've personally experienced cases where despite visually spotting an enemy helicopter while radar was off (heli within firing range, judging by render size) and pointing the gunner's sight straight at it without any obstacles in between, I coul not get any lock, most likely because the game considered it to be hidden from the radar (if I had been using it).

I have noticed the ground reflection in my Sidam 25,  which makes no sense because it has no radar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody has problem with Otomatic not firing ?

 

I'm fairly new to it but it is very annoying

 

It shoots for about 30 rounds then simply refuses to do so ,round is loaded but it just won't fire

medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, xxx_freelancer_x said:

Anybody has problem with Otomatic not firing ?

 

I'm fairly new to it but it is very annoying

 

It shoots for about 30 rounds then simply refuses to do so ,round is loaded but it just won't fire

I know you said that a round is loaded but it won't fire, but have you checked the X-ray when the gun stops firing? The ready rack to the left of the gun is everything you can fire before it has to be replenished, and the OTOMATIC empties it fast. Might be worth checking it again quickly before reporting it as a bug as I've never had that issue myself.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does the sabot round have such poor accuracy? Feels like an arbitrary nerf. When you fire this thing at long distances it feels like a stock L7 all over again.

 

I like how enemies usually hit the giant breech when they shoot at you, leaving the crew alive. :D

Otomatic is fun in arcade assault. Pop, pop, pop. Especially on the british map where you can sit in the cap zone all and refill ammo while shooting at the giant LFP weak spots of british tanks.

Edited by AraMacao
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AraMacao said:

Otomatic is fun in arcade assault. Pop, pop, pop. Especially on the british map where you can sit in the cap zone all and refill ammo while shooting at the giant LFP weak spots of british tanks.

The hardest map for me, it's almost impossible to hide from the enemy fire. Don't know how you can sit in the cap zone.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...