GandhiKhan

How I play Destroyers

Hello, Today I will be continuing on my "How I Play" series regarding types of aircraft, tanks and soon to be ships, This series was created to help new players and new owners of these vehicles learn how to play these vehicles through other players. Post your experiences here! Yellow and underlined words mean links to images and guides! 
Today I will be talking about how I play Destroyers:

1. Primary Gun Destroyers: (Destroyers where they have many main battery guns, few secondary)
2. Secondary Gun Destroyers: (Destroyers where they have many secondary guns, but few primary)
3. All Rounded Destroyers: (Destroyers where they have a balanced amount of secondary and primary guns)

Primary Gun Destroyers:

Destroyers like the Pr.159, Farragut, and the G-Class, are all heavy hitters with their main battery guns, big caliber guns, and quite a bit of them, but what they have in main battery guns, they lack in secondary defenses, they can knock out a ship in a solid hit, but if a plane comes flying by, or a small torpedo boat, there can be some real trouble, (except the 159). These ships are exceptionally weak to aircraft, unless they have radio fuses, or like the 159, can just use their guns as anti air with it's rate of fire. Another problem is when a small torpedo boat comes along, they are left only to minor amounts of secondary, and their main guns, where if they were to hit, would sink the little boat, but that's the catch, they have to hit the target, if they miss, it's a long reload until you get another shot, and by then, it might already be too late. So what I do, is I'll hang back, and fire long distance shots, or I will go and fight where Destroyers duel, away from PT boats, and hang around my Allies who do have anti aircraft firepower. The G-Class is the perfect example of this style of destroyer, and a good one to try out long range shots with!

Secondary Gun Destroyers:

These kind of destroyers are named like the Clemson of the UK, the Kanonenboot K-2, and the Frunze. These are left relatively unarmed at long ranges, their small/lack of guns are unable to do real damage against larger ships, but with their smaller caliber guns, they can reload faster, or with fewer guns, but when it comes to a lack of primary guns, they have with loads of secondary guns, meaning they can take on a lot of aircraft, and take on small pt boats, but with these, you play a dangerous game, you have to get close to these pt boats, and they can outmaneuver you easily, and in their natural habitat, torpedoes can come from anywhere, and they can be impossible to avoid sometimes. I play these where I go to those little torpedo boat duel zones, but I hang back and fire shots off at small torpedo boats and any other destroyers that come by, using my torps against destroyers mostly, or smoked caps. The Clemson (UK) has only one main gun, but quite a bit of a defensive secondaries, making it a perfect pt boat sniper, and a cap defender from afar! 

Balanced Destroyers:

These destroyers are good at everything, but are masters of none, a jack of all trades. These ships can duel with other destroyers, and take on pt boats to a modest degree, they're the most user friendly for beginners, and your best bet to having good games, you can't rely on your guns to kill ships and planes. These kind of ships are the Tribal class, Type-1936, and the Project 7U, which is why there are premium versions of these ships, allowing for players trying their first destroyers, can have a good beginning time with them, allowing players to get involved with all ship types. These are just best used for anything you throw at them, maybe don't rush into pt boat dueling zones, as you still can't really avoid torpedoes, but you can take out pt boats if you're determined enough. They're the most involved playstyle, allowing you to rush all in if you need to! The Tribal (Haida) is a fantastic premium ship, which like the normal Tribal, is a good all rounder! 

This is my twenty first post in my "How I Play" post of the series, Do you like it? Tell me so! Do I need to fix some things for the next one, let me know! Keep in mind this is how I play these vehicles, I am not and do not claim to be the best in these vehicles, this is how I do well in games using these vehicles What works for me may not work for you, and Remember when it comes to Destroyers, keeping from going full broadside and always moving is what keeps you alive, also, watch what you tell your ai to shoot at! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

the 159 is not a destroyer, it excels at annihilating PT boats and harassing other destroyers up close, but it is no match for them at long range

the Frunze has good secondary weaponry? what? it has basically no AA defenses and you are stuck having to use its main guns for everything

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

1 hour ago, i_ivanof said:

the Frunze has good secondary weaponry? what? it has basically no AA defenses and you are stuck having to use its main guns for everything

Basically no AA defenses? First US destroyer Clemson has literally no AA defenses.

Also the British Clemson is the only one that doesn't have good primary guns, all the other ones don't have trouble with other destroyers.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Just now, The_Great_Pigeon said:

Basically no AA defenses? First US destroyer Clemson has literally no AA defenses.

Also the British Clemson is the only one that doesn't have good primary guns, all the other ones don't have trouble with other destroyers.

I don't know if two 50cals with a very limited firing arc and a slow moving T-26 cannon constitute an air defense, if an aircraft attacks you in a Frunze you're basically screwed

the british clemson is so pathetic that it might as well not be labeled as a destroyer

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Pinned, some more of these would be great.